Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Picked up Byzantium at FYE for $5 today. Yes it's the DVD and not the bluray. I've been waiting for a while to pick this up on blu but the price was always too high. So when I saw it for $5 on DVD, I had to jump on it.
Old 10-20-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Watcing Final Exam made me realize how much more I prefer silent killers than the ones (like in Intruder, Club Dread, etc) that pause to explain the motive or exchange banter with victims.
Old 10-20-14, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Watcing Final Exam made me realize how much more I prefer silent killers than the ones (like in Intruder, Club Dread, etc) that pause to explain the motive or exchange banter with victims.
I can never decide which type I like more. Just depends on how well the films [and the killers] do it I suppose.
Old 10-20-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I think I'm finally going to make it to my goal of 31! Between crazy schedules with work/classes as well as meeting this awesome new girl, I haven't watched many films recently.

First 5 days I watched 25 vs. the 4-5 I've gotten in during the last week?

I finished re-watching The Prowler (1981). As much as I love this film I had to laugh that line
Spoiler:
when Deputy London tells Pam that he found an open grave. When she walks up to it, she says 'It's open'
Old 10-20-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

In the spirit of full disclosure, the three directors I selected are:

James Whale
Roger Corman
Mario Bava
Old 10-20-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

My selection were:

Terence Fisher
Michael Reeves
John Carpenter
Old 10-20-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

My selections:

Tod Browning
Terence Fisher
John Carpenter

Sorry, coyoteblue for repeating you a bit. I was going to go with Freddie Francis for my Hammer horror pick, but Fisher did The Mummy in which the villain bursts through the hero's front door with a humorous amount of gusto! It's awesome!

I also deliberated going with James Whale over Browning since I enjoy the campiness of Whale's films, but Browning achieves a haunting quality in every film of his I've seen.
Old 10-20-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Really appreciate you taking the time to write so lengthily! And thanks for clarifying and explaining several bits - and book bits - that I didn't know or notice.

Well, I seem to be alone in not thinking Sue was just being nice, so it's probably just inherent cynicism on my part, and I'm just wrong! I saw her as being one of the bullies, and then on the peripheries of the plot. I thought Tommy was completely oblivious to what was really going on, but aware that Sue was desperate for him to take Carrie to the prom - and therefore that something was up. I didn't get 'trying to make amends' and 'niceness' from their actions, just the appearance of that...... so I guess I have a similar opinion as the gym teacher when she grilled them.
In the novel,
Spoiler:
that suspicion is given voice in one sentence by the committee looking into the prom night events (which, I think, the first movie switched over to the gym teacher, since the second and third filmed versions are the only ones to include anyone questioning Sue after-the-fact).

If the novel says that, then that's it. Unless perhaps the film changed it, or attempted to sow ambiguity...? Maybe next time I watch it I'm remember to be less judgmental and cynical.
As I said above, in the original novel,
Spoiler:
that possibility was put out there, but King specifically included a mind reading scene to show the reader that Sue was sincere.

That's one thing I've finally started to grasp after watching Christmas Carols and Scarlet Pimpernels and Jekyll and Hydes - a lot of the "best bits" from any of the films are (naturally) in the books verbatim. So when good lines show up again and again it isn't necessarily a lack of imagination or deliberate homage - it may be attempts to be faithful to the book.

I wonder, therefore, whether people knowingly watching a remake prefer the dialogue to echo source and other adaptations, or whether they like variations - even if it takes the re-adaptation a step away from the source sometimes.

Oh, I know. I was just hoping for more. Or at least some internal coherence.

But it seems that a lot hinges on there being something of a code of silence regarding ringleaders - an extant video (and tacit admission from the guilty party) which itself would be evidence of (criminal) assault rather undermines that, as it's something that could be traced and found. Indeed, by kicking Chris out of the prom for not letting anyone see her phone (rather than for backtalk and shirking detention) essentially proves her guilt. She's not stubborn (1978), she's guilty (2013). She should be dealt with.
To me, the cell phone video gave a reason for an updated movie. It showed how today, what was just a small humiliation (the girls in the locker room and the kids they told) in 1978, can become huge in 2013 by someone posting a video on the internet for millions to see (and laugh at).

Not just the ending. For me, and my (all-but-proven-to-be-an-unwidely-held) of Sue
Spoiler:
the story of Carrie in the films - and presumably book - is one of isolation, and a search for acceptance. That the gym teacher accepts her more in 2013 - in 1978 she admits frustration and annoyance, while still trying to reach out; that the English teacher looks sheepish and apologetic when called out for mocking her (as he is not in de Palma's, when the roles of the pupils are reversed); that Sue is noticeably (even to ME!) trying to be nice, on several occasions, including coming to her house at the end... it takes away from Carrie being All On Her Own. In 2013 she seems rebellious against her mother, not cowed by her. She seems on the fringes of her peers, not completely apart from them. She does not seem to be a total outsider, as she did in the other film. And that lessens her drive for revenge, lessens the justification, lessens the impact. For me.
I think the biggest difference here is that kids today are more likely to talk back to a teacher than they would've been in 1978. As for Carrie not seeming "as alone," I didn't see that. Well, there was a nerdy kid who helped her with the computer.
Fair enough. I do need to read the book, I know.

To my eyes,
Spoiler:
he didn't know-know, as in he didn't know WHAT was going to happen, just probably suspected that something was. Moreover, since the bucket shouldn't have fallen (and they managed to rig it perfectly to be above JUST her...), even if he'd known explicitly about the bucket, he wouldn't have assumed it could fall or injure him.
There are marks on the floor for the queen and king to stand on. I'm pretty sure they're mentioned in every version. And in the book,
Spoiler:
there were two buckets of pig blood, so Tommy was definitely meant to be hit by the blood, at least.

My problem is that it looked planned and that she was clearly revelling in it in 2013.
I just re-watched this scene on YouTube, and I'm not seeing it.
Spoiler:
She doesn't even seem too pissed off at people laughing at the "plug it up" video. What sets her off is Tommy having been killed by the bucket (remember she had a crush on Tommy).

In 1978, at least as I see it,
Spoiler:
there were a lot of guilty parties involved in some way - rigging the vote, etc. - and therefore those present deserved the punishment more. Which helps justify her actions - but that she sees them laughing when they aren't undercuts that justification brilliantly: she feels righteous anger at guilty parties, but the trigger she imagines isn't real. They all appear shocked and appalled at what Chris did. So her killing them is deliberately 'wrong'.
Watching the prom scene again, I can see where you get that she imagined them laughing at her, but that's not the way I saw it.
Spoiler:
P.J. Soles (totally) starts laughing (at about 2:54), and it spreads (but the odd "kaleidoscope" effect, mixed in with the dialogue from earlier in the film does support your view - hell, even the gym teacher is laughing).
Again, back to the source,
Spoiler:
in the book, after everyone is initially shocked, someone "nervously" laughs, and that sets off everyone in the gym into laughing.

Edit: Oops, not so fast. I went back and reread a few pages of the book, and it can be read that Carrie is imagining their laughter (either that or she's seeing the true feelings hidden in the minds of the gym teacher and Vice Principal).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5odtIbTbDyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Whereas in 2013, it's almost exactly opposite - and therefore inconsistent (to me) - because
Spoiler:
not only is pretty-much everyone utterly oblivious and NOT part of the plot, and therefore much less deserving of punishment, but after taking away that level of justification, they do all laugh at her [unless that was just a badly-handled repeat of 'as seen through her eyes'], which then reverses that lack in bizarre fashion: why would they laugh? Particularly with the video up there. It's awful and vile. And then after that apparent flip, Carrie goes into a stageshow of punishment that doesn't seem reactionary and reflexive, but planned and vindictive. Which I think is wrong. She should have been pushed past breaking point, broken and lashed out. Not pushed, pulled, and decided to kill them for sport.
Her reaction was always over the top (in the book,
Spoiler:
she kills over 400 people. Well, at least she sets up the circumstances of their deaths by pouring gasoline into the streets at a time when lots of people were smokers.

Spoiler:
And unless she pushes the teacher aside to not kill her, I still thought I saw her single out a victim... which made no real sense to me at all.
I was wrong with this one. Having just re-watched it,
Spoiler:
Carrie picks up the teacher by the neck, seemingly to strangle her, but then we see Carrie lifted her above the water on the floor to save her from electrocution (which I think she did in the book also).

Edit: Another oops. In the book Carrie throws the gym teacher aside because Carrie "sees" under the gym teacher's outward look of concern that she is "really" laughing at Carrie. Whether Carrie is imagining this, or actually reading the teacher's thoughts is left up to the reader.

In 1978, I thought Chris was driving... and Carrie's back was turned. Hence, in that version
Spoiler:
it was an unconscious reaction: self-preservation and reflex (which seems right), and not a deliberately cruel punishment. I like the Carrie who is scared, pushed past her limits and has no idea what she's doing; I don't like the knowing, vindictive version that 2013 appeared to portray. The former seems to fit in with the abused, misinformed, brainwashed and held back victim of a mad mother; the latter seemed to be speak more of a 'typical teen rebellion'... which I agree, seems like an interesting choice to show on screen when school violence is so omnipresent.

..in 1978 or 2013? If the former, I completely missed (the significance of) that.
Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Alright, I've been following these posts and now I'm going to have to chime in because I'm completely perplexed by how you came to these conclusions about Sue not being sincere. The scene Dimension X is referring to is in the 1978 version....it's a six and a half minute scene.... in slow motion(!)

I'm curious to know under what conditions you watched this movie? Was it maybe on a tiny cell phone screen? Was it all in one viewing?

ntnon, watch the first two minutes of the clip posted above.
I should read the book, I know. And I will, when I can. And re-watch all versions and reappraise it all.
There's nothing wrong with liking one version and hating another. I'm only defending the newest one because I was surprised that I didn't hate it. And the 2002 version stars Angela Bettis (May) as Carrie, Emilie de Ravin (Lost) as Chris, Kandyse McClure (Battlestar Galactica), and Katharine Isabelle (Ginger Snaps), so it's worth a look, if only for the cast.
Originally Posted by Trevor
I love it when people use spoilers but darn if that last page isn't hard to follow. I'll need a good nights sleep before I can dive into that mess. So November sometime....
Spoiler:
Made you look!

Last edited by Dimension X; 10-20-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I went with Roger Corman, George Romero, and John Carpenter. I can't actually say Corman is a great director, but I do enjoy his movies.
Old 10-20-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Synapse, Hamilton Book, and Chad!!
Old 10-20-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
My selections:

Tod Browning
Terence Fisher
John Carpenter
If I'd thought about it rather than putting down the first three who came to mind any of these three could have easily been on my list too, especially Fisher! How can you leave out such a prolific director of Hammer Films product!
Old 10-20-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I expected too much from See No Evil 2 (2014).

I absolutely love The Soska Sisters, but in essence they are polishing a turd script (that they didn't write). The film is leaps better in so many different ways compared to the first film, but then that would be a pretty easy feat.

I enjoyed the cast far more this time around, cinematography was better as well as the setting & atmosphere. It was bloody but I was honestly expecting an all-out gorefest with the Soskas involved. The film feels very light on the red stuff for almost an hour in.

Liked what the Soskas did with what they were given, but if WWE Films wants to keep this franchise, it needs to push harder.
Old 10-20-14, 04:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Noboru Iguchi
George A. Romero
Sam Raimi
Old 10-20-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

William Castle
Roger Corman
Wes Craven
Old 10-20-14, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed the new The Town that Dreaded Sundown. I mainly watched for Addison Timlin, but the film itself was surprisingly unflinching and moody with a great time out of place quality. Beautifully shot, too.

The House of the Blue Shadows is a pseudo-giallo that really worked as a haunting mood piece. It's quietly unsettling and has an atmosphere thick with dread. Bonus points for use of the Onibaba mask, always an alarming sight.

One of my favorite slashers due to the motiveless killer and giving the characters room to breathe. Makes a good double feature with House of Death.
Old 10-20-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone else noticed how in the '80s, Wes Craven really seemed to liked to do last minute surprise endings that look awful? This is including but not limited to, A Nightmare on Elm Street.

The last movie I watched of his
Spoiler:
Deadly Blessings,
really drove home that point.
Old 10-20-14, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The Living Skeleton (1968) is a moody revenge/ghost tale about a group of Japanese pirates that are haunted by the ghost of a woman they killed, among others, during a raid. This movie had a great soundtrack with jazzy riffs that would play when something spooky happened, it really worked and made the movie more fun that it probably should have been. It boasts a solid atmosphere, some neat underwater scenes, the skeletons were a bit goofy, but you can see a lot of modern J-horror elements in this forgotten gem.

Mama (2013) is a creepy little flick about a ghostly mother figure to two children who lose their parents. The children are eventually found and sent to live with their uncle and his girlfriend, but Mama gets jealous and wants them back. Some good scares and unnerving moments are almost undermined by some iffy CGI at spots. But when it works, it works well. Solid performances by the leads(Jessica Chastain and Jaime Lannister!) really make this movie effective. I think the ending would be pretty divisive, I'm not sure how I felt about it, but the movie sort of takes on a dark fairy tale feeling.

The Blob (1988) is a smart way to do a remake. Like The Fly and The Thing, they both show respect to the original while going in their own direction and tone. The Blob features relives some of the best moments of the original(trapped in a meat locker, the blob attacks a movie theater) but the scope is bigger with a new subplot about a government organization trying to contain the Blob to use in biological warfare. The effects and make-up are gruesome and gory and there are a good amount of scares here, the script pulls no punches and no character is safe from the Blob. It also gets meta at times with winking humor before Scream made it popular, also Shawnee Smith is adorable in this, overall a very fun time!
Old 10-20-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vampire Twilight? Not familiar with that episode Davey. What ep is that avatar from?
Old 10-20-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Vampire Twilight? Not familiar with that episode Davey. What ep is that avatar from?
It's just a fan drawing! I thought it'd be suitable for the season.
Old 10-20-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's just a fan drawing! I thought it'd be suitable for the season.
Ah, cool drawing.
Old 10-20-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Vampyros Lesbos was really psychedelic with a groovy soundtrack and probably one of the best depictions of vampire seduction that despite some sleaziness (or perhaps because of it) convincingly depicts dreamlike lust for a vampire tormentor that I've seen.

Dracula 2000 may not be perfect but I think it's a fair modern vampire film and really awesome to see it followed by 2 continuous sequels (Dracula II: Ascension, Dracula III: Legacy). Patrick Lussier is under-rated as a director (Drive Angry, White Noise 2, etc).

Rented Bloodwork (2012) and despite a slow amateurish first half really amps things up for a crazy medical horror conclusion, not great but worth watching.
Old 10-20-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vampyros Lesbos was really psychedelic with a groovy soundtrack and probably one of the best depictions of vampire seduction that despite some sleaziness (or perhaps because of it) convincingly depicts dreamlike lust for a vampire tormentor that I've seen.
Soledad Miranda (RIP) is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 10-20-14, 07:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

how we are counting the new 'American Horror Story: Freakshow' since the running time of the first episode was 90 minutes and the most recent was in a 81 minute time slot?
Old 10-20-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Can anyone recommend Bandh Daraza? Was about to watch it until noticing the Netflix sleeze said 145 minutes! Don't know if an almost 2½ hour Bollywood film is a gamble I wanna take.

Originally Posted by Giles
how we are counting the new 'American Horror Story: Freakshow' since the running time of the first episode was 90 minutes and the most recent was in a 81 minute time slot?
I'd say ¾ an entry for each since that's including commercials.
Old 10-20-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My 3 directors were pretty easy for me- Dario Argento, John Carpenter, Mario Bava

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.