Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I like the Payday idea for tricking out candy corn (see what I did there), but I'd want to add chocolate as well. Maybe M&Ms to keep it finger-friendly.
Old 10-31-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Going for 50 and currently at 48.5
Old 10-31-14, 11:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Finally got to see the original Halloween on the big screen last night. It was my first visit to a small, local independent theater I recently discovered. I was pleasantly surprised the find out they serve beer and wine. Never thought I'd be in a movie theater watching Halloween, sipping on a bottle of Sam Adams Octoberfest.
Old 10-31-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Happy Halloween!

Off to work then trick or treating with the kids (which I might enjoy more than they do). Might try to pull an all nighter tonight, apparently dawn is at 7:10am here; but no way could I do that far. With things winding down it's been fun!
Old 10-31-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I like the Payday idea for tricking out candy corn (see what I did there), but I'd want to add chocolate as well. Maybe M&Ms to keep it finger-friendly.
Adding chocolate is good and makes a decent Baby Ruth alternative.
Old 10-31-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Adding chocolate is good and makes a decent Baby Ruth alternative.
Ha, I guess you're right. I haven't eaten a Payday in quite a while, and it's not my favorite, so I'd forgotten its components.
Old 10-31-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I finally broke open my MC Pure Terror set, and watched the first movie, with low expectations, Crucible of Horror. Imagine my surprise, when I saw of all people in the cast, Michael Gough. That definitely brought the movie up a few notches, as his acting in the movie was a superb as ever.
Old 10-31-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So close, yet so far away. 1.25 away from 100, and I just hit the wall. Can't get myself in the mood.
Old 10-31-14, 01:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Aimed for 165, might make 125 if I really push it. Just couldn't get into the groove these last 2 weeks. Probably looking at 123 for the challenge. Have some horror comedies lined up for crossover with the Comedy challenge if I do manage a couple after dark viewings.
Old 10-31-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's one of the few MM double-features I have yet to purchase. I keep putting it off mainly because of this review at DVD Drive-inn (a site I trust for horror/genre reviews). One line in particular is a major stumbling block to my purchase:

I thought Rosemary's Baby was a dreadful bore when I watched it the first time last year. They go on to say:

The description of Alda doesn't help any as there's something about his acting that throws me off unless I'm watching him in a episode of M*A*S*H. It's also mentioned that the director, Paul Wendkos, and producer, Quinn Martin, have their primary backgrounds in TV which hurts the production:

It makes the whole affair sound like a made-for-TV production with a theatrical budget.

That review is also not very kind to the other feature on the set, The House on Skull Mountain but at least is *sounds* a bit interesting and, to me, like it's the better film.

On the plus side that review indicates the video quality is quite good:

That makes me wonder what you saw that makes you feel the set needs a upgrade.
I'm not sure why I have to defend my opinion. Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorite horror films so maybe we just have different aesthetic preferences. I like movies that deal with paranoia and that take the time to develop the characters and drop subtle clues for the audience that require repeat viewings to pick up.

For example, in Rosemary's Baby, Rosemary asks her husband to feel the baby kicking. Guy gingerly touches her and then draws his hand back quickly, as if touching a hot stove, because the audience is aware that Guy has joined the Castavet coven and knows her baby bump is the unholy spawn of Satan. In the same way when Duncan Eli meets Miles, he examines Miles's hands for width and dexterity not out of collegial interest but because he is sizing him up as a meat suit for his soul to wear. I agree with the reviewer that the film would be improved if the soul transfer revelation had been saved for later in the film, but a good part of the fun is watching Bisset play cat and mouse with Alda and Parkins.

Alan Alda's performance is, well, Alan Alda, but he's not the star here. Jacqueline Bisset carries the film as the wife that finds herself under attack by Satanic forces. I don't like the ending carried over from the novel. (spoiler in white) What's the point selling your soul to Satan as the price of transferring your soul into Barbara Parkin's body to reclaim your husband, when you're really getting Duncan Ely in Miles's body? If she were sleeping with Channing Tatum, I might understand wanting to get with his body no matter who was living in it, but Alan Alda? Also, she seems to have forgotten that that this man killed her child and was plotting to kill her. At some point he's going to figure out that Bisset has replaced his daughter and then what?

The incest angle didn't really bother me because, like the characters in The Skeleton Key and The Brotherhood of Satan, these two have probably been at the body-switching business for a very long time, and this go-round the bodies they inhabit are coincidentally related. Then again, they are devil worshippers so presumably Satan approves of incest.

The House on Skull Mountain is an early 70s blaxploitation voodoo film that looks like a made-for-TV movie on a TV budget, plus a good chunk of the cast are recognizable from The Jeffersons and Little House on the Prairie. The movie has its moments, but it is not one of my favorites.

I wanted an upgrade because the PQ on a standard TV might be acceptable, but on my 1080p set the disc looks overly grainy and washed out. It was released in 2001 and the definition on TVs has improved dramatically so that first-generation DVDs really don't stand up today, IMO. Scream Factory has released worse films.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-31-14 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With a wild card, and a half hour cartoon, I pushed myself over the hump. I made 100. My 100th entry was a Wild Card for the Disney Silly Symphony: Skeleton Dance.
Old 10-31-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just hit 96 with VHS: Viral. Hit or miss, like the previous two movies, IMO. The magician segment was pretty cool though.
Old 10-31-14, 02:45 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Just hit 96 with VHS: Viral. Hit or miss, like the previous two movies, IMO. The magician segment was pretty cool though.
Really enjoyed the first two, much more than I thought I would.

Need at least 30 more days of October to watch this one and the tons of other things in my physical or mental viewing piles.

Plan to end October with classic horror gems that I know I love to end things on a high note; although if I can stay awake after that queue is finished I'll delve into some cross-Challenge horror comedy. Anyone have any newish recommendations in that genre?
Old 10-31-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
...Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorite horror films so maybe we just have different aesthetic preferences...
Yep, but I appreciate you taking the time to outline why you like it and the comparison to "Mephisto" as it will add to my overall general pre-viewing impressions.
...Alan Alda's performance is, well, Alan Alda, but he's not the star here...
And that's what I really needed to read. Not Alda being "Alda" but that he's not the star which leaves me the impression he's not the "Debbie Downer" I'm expecting.
The House on Skull Mountain is an early 70s blaxploitation voodoo film that looks like a made-for-TV movie on a TV budget, plus a good chunk of the cast are recognizable from The Jeffersons and Little House on the Prairie. The movie has its moments, but it is not one of my favorites.
That, too, is pretty much what I got from the review at DVD Drive-In.

It's really the pedigree of the producer, director, and Alda that really have me thinking I'll probably not like "Mephisto" quite so much. While I *do* like many TV series Quinn Martin produced I'm not sure I'd like such a approach in a feature film.
I wanted an upgrade because the PQ on a standard TV might be acceptable, but on my 1080p set the disc looks overly grainy and washed out. It was released in 2001 and the definition on TVs has improved dramatically so that first-generation DVDs really don't stand up today, IMO. Scream Factory has released worse films.
Nice to know. I don't yet have a HDTV as my CRT is still going strong. Because of that I can't really justify the purchase as the only reason to "upgrade" is wanting a slightly larger screen. Yes... I'm "cheap."
Old 10-31-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm over 100, but now it's last-minute clean up to complete the checklist and daily subset. I'm finishing New York Ripper to check off Fulci on the checklist. I was watching this Wednesday night but fell asleep; it *would* have been No. 100 had I not crashed out. Then I have today's film of the day and one other daily film to complete that list. Super close to my goals!

Last night took me out of my rhythm a bit. Some of you might remember that I had to work an event called Boo at the Zoo on Halloween last year. This year, I got to work it the 30th instead (and am taking to today off - yay!). It was a long, exhausting night. Last year, we did a group theme costume as the cast of Up; I dressed as the old man. It was an easy costume to put together and to wear. This year, we were supposed to do a Disney villains theme. That broke down as it got closer, but three of us stuck to the theme. I was the Headless Horseman. It was rough wearing that costume for 4 hours outside! It might have been nighttime, but it's still South Texas! It seemed to go over really well, though. I had a lot of photo requests, but I'm not sure I would wear it again.
Old 10-31-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Continue discussion in part 4!