Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-14, 07:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Chad
According to the stats from last year's results thread - 4,524 posts and 5 threads. Both 2012.
We're not on pace for a record then. Not surprising since the forum is slowing.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
A friendly reminder:

If you are holding on to horror/halloween stuff to sell on the ebay, now would be the time to list it.
I guess it's also a reminder to not buy any horror on ebay right now.
Old 10-14-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

My "Before They Were Stars" list:  Leslie-Anne Down (Countess Dracula); John Goodman and Jay Thomas (C.H.U.D.); and Leo (Critters 3)

When I watched Critters 3 for last year's challenge I thought Leo was Brian Bonsall.
Old 10-14-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Along those same lines, I just watched The Burning this morning and had no idea that Jason Alexander, Holly Hunter & Fisher Stevens would appear.
Old 10-14-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Blech. I'm behind so I'm counting it for myself anyway....but I don't feel good about that!
Use the wildcards; it's an honest way to count non-horror fluff. Curses on Mill Creek for their deceptive cramming of budget movies into inappropriate sets.
Old 10-14-14, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
If you've got 73 minutes to kill, here's the most nonsensical french arthouse horror flick with a mutant (zombie?) that resembles Peter Boyle in nazi attire, a demonic cat, an old man with a magical shotgun that never runs low on ammo who's intent on killing the world's most obnoxious horse, a mummy that's there for no apparent reason, and loads of other wtf goodness:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RSAFBH0UgHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
WTF goodness is right! I'd love a cast commentary on this madness.
Old 10-14-14, 10:08 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I consider Phantom Carriage horror by virtue of it's focus on death and era where horror seemed less literal. It's a little harder hitting than A Christmas Carol feeling more existential; plus really cool phantom effect.
Oh, quite. It's not that I don't see why it counts - and the effects are really good - just that I didn't see the parallels last year, so it also made me muse on the horror-ness after earlier discussions.
Old 10-14-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Use the wildcards; it's an honest way to count non-horror fluff. Curses on Mill Creek for their deceptive cramming of budget movies into inappropriate sets.
Good idea. It is really more of a historical adventure/swashbuckler with a few torture and devil worship scenes.

I knew I should have just watched Horror Rises from the Tomb again!
Old 10-14-14, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Over the weekend, I watched Van Helsing, a film that I like a lot more than I should. It's a bloated, nonsensical, and aggressively ugly film. This is clearer when you've recently watched actual Universal monster movies. They tell an emotional, poignant story in approximately 70 minutes. Even though it's over two hours long, the Sommers film has not real tension, no emotion, and no poignancy. Yet, I still enjoy it quite a bit. I don't know why!!!
I've been listening to an audio dramatization of Dracula, so have been thinking about finally watching Van Helsing. I can't believe that I've put it off this long. I love the Universal horror franchises and Hugh Jackman, but somehow have skipped this one so far. With my biases I'll likely love it for being full of the creatures I enjoy.
Originally Posted by clckworang
Also, in case some of you haven't listened to any of the Universal Monsters audio commentaries, I would heartily recommend them. There is some great information in them. I've listened to the ones for The Wolf Man and Frankenstein. I'm probably the most impressed at how much the individual speaks in them. There really isn't any break of pause to speak of. Very good stuff.
I'll second this, some great tidbits in those commentaries.

I want to do a complete Universal marathon in chronological order one of these Octobers. Maybe this year, but I'm running out of time. Someone here once posted a great timeline of them all and the proper viewing order.
Old 10-14-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've been listening to an audio dramatization of Dracula, so have been thinking about finally watching Van Helsing. I can't believe that I've put it off this long. I love the Universal horror franchises and Hugh Jackman, but somehow have skipped this one so far. With my biases I'll likely love it for being full of the creatures I enjoy.
I wouldn't be so sure that you'll enjoy it...
Old 10-14-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Would Van Helsing even count? I know it is full of the classic monsters, but isn't it more action than horror?
Old 10-14-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

allmovie lists Van Helsing as Action and Horror so it technically counts although it would not be at the top of my viewing list for action or horror...
Old 10-14-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Really liked Dick Mass' The Shaft, the remake of his own film The Lift. One of my picks yesterday for before they were stars.

Kicked today's theme off with the sleazy Nail Gun Massace. It's bad, but oh, soo good.

Later I'm finally checking out The Wraith which squeaks in with a horror tag on IMDb and is listed for today's motorcylce horror. Great category, btw.

Reviews in my link.
Old 10-14-14, 11:34 AM

So many movies are ecclectic it'd be really easy to pick apart aspects that might not be "horror" but in my opinion if it's got a combination of solid tension, supernatural elements, gore, and/or atmosphere then it's horror [even that might be too broad].
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Would Van Helsing even count? I know it is full of the classic monsters, but isn't it more action than horror?
Action horror is a viable subgenre; End of Days starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (versus Satan) is an action horror guilty pleasure of mine.
Old 10-14-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

RE: The Van Helsing discussion

I want to be clear that Sommer's bloated movie is enjoyable to me, but I would never recommend anyone watch it. I don't want anyone to smack me for putting them through 2+ hours of silliness! FYI, one of the Face/Off judges contributed character designs; let's hope for his sake he was instrumental in the conception of the kick-ass Frankenstein's monster and not the horrendously bad vampire brides.

The film also got a very nice steelbook release with great cover art.

Old 10-14-14, 11:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally caught up with this thread!

It's been a slower year for me this time around, and it's yet to be seen whether the next weeks will either go in the direction where I can watch a ton more, or barely anything.

I've been watching more than ever with friends, so there have been a lot of rewatches. Been loving the conversation here, though! Hoping I'll be able to keep up from here!
Old 10-14-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom

Kicked today's theme off with the sleazy Nail Gun Massace. It's bad, but oh, soo good.
I love this movie for the first half hour or so and then it becomes torture to get through the same thing over and over.
Old 10-14-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I watched the Devil's Possessed last night.

Which though being on a Mill Creek 50 pack of "Pure Terror", and being Paul Naschy....really wasn't horror. Blech. I'm behind so I'm counting it for myself anyway....but I don't feel good about that!
Though if I'm tricked into thinking a movie is horror and it turns out it isn't ... I damn well count it for my list!

After saving it on DVR from over the weekend (from TCM Underground), I watched the Blacula movies. I had seen the first one ages ago (remembering very little of it). And I don't think I ever saw the second one (maybe scared away by some critics saying it was a horrible sequel). And that's wrong ... the second is quite a solid movie (and features Pam Grier as the leading lady). Both movies play surprisingly straight as horror movies, with some pretty creepy moments. Though you know they have to have some crazy dialog, clothes, and music.
Old 10-14-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I watched the Devil's Possessed last night.

Which though being on a Mill Creek 50 pack of "Pure Terror", and being Paul Naschy....really wasn't horror. Blech. I'm behind so I'm counting it for myself anyway....but I don't feel good about that!
Originally Posted by shadokitty
If I get around to opening my Pure Terror set, I'll have to remember to skip past that one. It's like Black Dragons, and Swamp Women being on the 50 Horror Classics set.
I don't recall it being discussed this year but *last* year I believe the decision was made that if it appears on a MC "Horror" collection it's countable even if it's decidedly *not* horror. Basically the inclusion on the set allows a non-horror film to be counted without burning a wild card.

*BUT* Devil's Possessed has Adventure/Horror genre labels at IMDB so it's OK.
Old 10-14-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Well you can put me down for an equipment failure. Computer just decided not to turn on this morning

Bought a new battery to hopefully fix it but I am not super optimistic.

Now let's try editing on the iPad [shudder]
Old 10-14-14, 12:49 PM

Afflicted (2013) is a really great movie better seen without knowing much about it. It's at RedBox, if nothing else, easily worth a blind watch.
Old 10-14-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Even though You're Next is sure to end up on my best/favorite movies by the end of the challenge, that sure was some of the fakiest blood I've ever seen. What did they use? Tea and coffee?

Originally Posted by brainee
After saving it on DVR from over the weekend (from TCM Underground), I watched the Blacula movies. I had seen the first one ages ago (remembering very little of it). And I don't think I ever saw the second one (maybe scared away by some critics saying it was a horrible sequel). And that's wrong ... the second is quite a solid movie (and features Pam Grier as the leading lady). Both movies play surprisingly straight as horror movies, with some pretty creepy moments. Though you know they have to have some crazy dialog, clothes, and music.
I watched that dbl-feature too. Up to that point, I had never seen the first half of SBS before and was also surprised at how solid it actually turned out to be.
Old 10-14-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Haha thanks guys re Devils Possessed....I am not up for any prizes so only my own sense of horror honor is at stake here, but you've given me some good outs.

In regards to Van Helsing, it's really, really stupid. I should know, I've seen it multiple times. And will see it again.
Old 10-14-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
RE: The Van Helsing discussion

I want to be clear that Sommer's bloated movie is enjoyable to me, but I would never recommend anyone watch it. I don't want anyone to smack me for putting them through 2+ hours of silliness!
In regards to Van Helsing, it's really, really stupid. I should know, I've seen it multiple times. And will see it again.
Put me down for liking Van Helsing. Yeah, it's fairly stupid and over-the-top but it's still a fun ride.
Old 10-14-14, 01:58 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
After saving it on DVR from over the weekend (from TCM Underground), I watched the Blacula movies....
Just wanted to point out that the TCM app (Android AND Apple) lets anyone who gets TCM on their TV (and who knows their TV provider login information) watch TCM "live" on mobile and pad-things and has an on-demand selection to watch whenever (for a week).

This week, the Blaculas and a Hammer Mummy are available.
Old 10-14-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Don't know if it has to do with my folks going out of town, and my being left to run the home business, or just missing them in general, but as soon as my folks left for their trip this afternoon, I've been down in the dumps. Probably going to slow down on the challenge for a couple days till they get home. I love horror, but I never found it good if I was in a blue mood. Maybe that's why I spent the night watching DC super hero movies and tv last night, thinking about them leaving. Which btw, I know not to count.

Re Van Helsing, count me as liking, it, stupid movie, but enjoyable popcorn flick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.