Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 01:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Guess that was my fault. I saw the theme early on being outdoor frights and didn't know that really meant summer. Looks like I might as well skip the dud as well.
I'd recommend watching it anyway. It's a bizarre little indie, but I think I loved it.
Originally Posted by rbrown498
I'm with Trevor on this one concerning THE CARRIER. I'm going to be at work until 9:30 tonight, and I'll only have time to watch one movie once I get home...and it's got to pull double-duty, or I'm screwed out of either the subset or the theme night.

Chad, is there any way that you can make a call on this? Is there a backup film that we can go to? Or can we all just agree that THE CARRIER satisfies the theme night even if it actually doesn't? Either way, I'm okay...I just need to know if I've somehow got to find another film before I get home tonight.
I'm sure Chad and everyone else would give us a check on both the theme and subset if this was the only film we watch all day; but you could also watch a short film to satisfy the theme. I'm sure there are hundreds of summerish horror shorts or TV shows or cartoons.
Old 10-02-14, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by indiephantom
The Carrier seems interesting, but in the first couple of minutes of the film the narrator clearly refers to the story as taking place in the Fall. Today's theme is Summer-related horror, and since I'm probably only going to be able to get one title in today, I think I'm going with an alternate pick. Anyone else notice this?
I noticed this, too, and commented on it in the discussion thread. Continued watching anyways, and glad I did, too, because it was awesome in the so-bad-it's-awesome sense!
Old 10-02-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Anyone know of some Halloween themed shorts on Youtube? Tonight I'm thinking of my Halloween themed Three Stooges, but don't have enough shorts to make a full entry.
Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Maybe one or more of these will help:

10 Classic Halloween Cartoons You Can Watch Right Now
Thanks. I'll check those out.
Old 10-02-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Chad, you might want to check out the top pages

I believe I was the one who suggested imgur over photobucket

Old 10-02-14, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Such a great movie!
It really is! I'm more than a little ashamed I've owned it for a couple of years and hadn't watched it before last night, but I'm definitely looking forward to revisiting it.
Old 10-02-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I call shenanigans! The movie The Meateater 1979 is on the list for Kitchen horror and it is decidedly not kitchen related. Or good for that matter. (yet somehow I own it...)

That list wasn't too useful for the theme challenge. It was just a list of movies that had a DVD cover with something kitchen related. It didn't necessarily mean a kitchen was even in the film.
That's surprising because quite a few of the links on theme nights direct to lists compiled by "Hollie Horror" at Letterboxd and they're usually pretty useful. But I'll dig around and see if I can find something better.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I imagine the only limit might be that if you watch films by both people on a checklist line it only counts as one check. Right?
I personally would do it that way, but it's not set in stone.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
As you guys know I do a montage of all of the movies I watch at the end of the month, and it's been a major headache getting that setup this year. I wanted the overall quality of the footage to be much higher this year so I've been trying to stay with HD and BluRays. I haven't been able to get any free software to work adequately so I went ahead and dropped $80 on the new DVDPower software only to find that they have something in their software that blocks from capturing the clips to use in my montage. So that was a big waste of money. I've got a temporary solution that's working, but I hope it lasts through the month.
Hope everything works out; always look forward to it.

Originally Posted by mikewendt
Just a curiosity question... who's running, or more accurately, not running the twitter page for the Oct. Horror Challenge?

@OctHorrorChall

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
No tweets sine 2012 so I don't think anyone is running it
This guy. I'm also not running the Google Plus page. But in my defense, I did mention on the first page that those two were unlikely to be used any time soon, and removed the links from the blurb.

I honestly can't say why I even started them in the first place. We already have the Facebook page to announce threads going up, contests, etc., and, well, they really wouldn't serve any purpose other than repeating what was already said.

Originally Posted by indiephantom
The Carrier seems interesting, but in the first couple of minutes of the film the narrator clearly refers to the story as taking place in the Fall. Today's theme is Summer-related horror, and since I'm probably only going to be able to get one title in today, I think I'm going with an alternate pick. Anyone else notice this?

Guess that was my fault. I saw the theme early on being outdoor frights and didn't know that really meant summer. Looks like I might as well skip the dud as well.
Sorry guys, can't blame me for that one. I haven't seen it, but if it's comedic and absolutely necessary I guess I could switch it around with "Club Dread", although I'd really prefer not to. Just whatever.

Last edited by Chad; 10-02-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And could someone please take a second and check the first page and tell me I'm imagining that there's a bunch of broken Photobucket links saying I've exceeded my bandwidth? I'd appreciate that.
Old 10-02-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Hope everything works out; always look forward to it.
So far so good, I'm very excited about the picture quality of the first four films I've watched. I'm all ready playing around with the clips, putting them to music. I'm going to have fun with this one, but I sometimes worry that I set the bar too high last year!
Old 10-02-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Just posted my review of THE PROWLER. Unfortunately I'm 0 for 3 so far this year. Oh well, some of these films are unknown for a reason.
Unknown to the Horror community or in general? I would hardly call The Prowler unknown. Joseph Zito was behind the lens and Tom Savini did FX work.

I subjected myself to See No Evil (2006) this morning because I wanted to catch-up before the sequel is out. It's a pretty safe Slasher, nothing to write home about. Though I have to admit that set design was pretty solid and there is one kill/death scene that is the best part of the entire film.
Old 10-02-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Chad, you might want to check out the top pages

I believe I was the one who suggested imgur over photobucket

Spoiler:

Sorry, missed your post. Ugh. Yeah, I guess I'll be switching services. Only the second day and now this!
Old 10-02-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Bad Milo was not so good as I hoped it would be; more limited like a lukewarm joke that went on too long.
Agreed 100%

It would have honestly worked better as a short. It felt like it was wearing it's Henenlotter influences boldly on it's sleeve, but without the fun.
Old 10-02-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I love that movie. The trailer and the title give the impression that it's just sleazy exploitation, but it's actually a really entertaining horror flick. Sadly, it's OOP in the US, but I hope Scream Factory might release it on Blu.
I almost didn't purchase a copy when a reasonably priced used one came up because of that general impression! But I *really* want to own a full set of Hammer Horror films so bought it anyway. I'm really glad I did as it's superior to almost every other Hammer film from that period and fits in well with their late 50s and early 60s material!

Even though I only need a few films to complete my collection, I, too, am hoping for more re-releases of Hammer output in region 1. It sure is coming slowly though and, with only a couple of exceptions, the ones I need are *not* the ones getting new releases...
Old 10-02-14, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero is horrible.
Saw this too late as it has arrived from Netflix. Can you tell me if it's summer-themed so I can at least put it to use that way??
Old 10-02-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, the image hosting crisis is resolved. I decided to go with the common sense approach and just upgrade to premium temporarily as opposed to moving a ton of pics over to another service. And I sincerely appreciate the offers to cover the cost, but I'm not gonna accept anything for it. It was my fault for for not keeping an eye on the bandwidth meter. Besides, it's only a few bucks and for a month or two tops anyway.
Old 10-02-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by therja
Saw this too late as it has arrived from Netflix. Can you tell me if it's summer-themed so I can at least put it to use that way??
I don't recall them stating the exact season but they are in the Caribbean and the chick wears a swimsuit. Sounds like summer to me!
Old 10-02-14, 03:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to contradict, I thought the original Outpost was light years better than both sequels, Cabin Fever: Patient Zero had some pretty great gore, and The Battery was an overrated baseball-infused snoozefest.
Old 10-02-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Baseball has interrupted my viewing as I watch The O's game.
Old 10-02-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Ugh, this is not going to be a good October for me. I'm in the middle of a performance-review sort of thing for my job. Somehow I don't think arguing for a delay because I will need time to compile a good list for DVDTalk's Horror Challenge will help my case. Weekday viewing is mostly out, but maybe I'll have some time on the weekends. But I'm afraid I'll only be able to get a laughably tiny total (<20 movies). And if you see me get 50+ ... it probably means I got myself fired!
Old 10-02-14, 05:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Man, a full-time job has kept me playing catch up!

Originally Posted by clckworang
I might check that one out. I've seen the original. It was pretty good, sort of a slow burn, like you said. I'm curious about the remake.
I actually thought the remake of We Are What We Are was better than the original. The original felt too uninteresting despite the great premise. That being said, while the remake is definitely good, I feel the premise is still much better than the movie we got.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Anyone know of some Halloween themed shorts on Youtube? Tonight I'm thinking of my Halloween themed Three Stooges, but don't have enough shorts to make a full entry.
Here's a couple I have enjoyed:

The Cub

Forklift Driver Klaus

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
...and The Battery was an overrated baseball-infused snoozefest.
I also wasn't the biggest fan of this one. It had some interesting moments, but I have heard quite a lot about how ranked among the best zombie movies.

Wasn't able to watch anything on Thursday, but started October 1 with Halloween! I had to watch that after getting the awesome boxset. Followed up with Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, which I definitely still enjoy. Would have preferred to watch that later this month, but a friend really wanted to see it.
Old 10-02-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These aren't shorts, but some obscure(?) Halloween specials for anyone interested:

Mr. Boogedy (Disney channel)

Bride of Boogedy (Disney channel)

Cry Baby Lane (Nickelodeon)

The Haunted (1991 made-for-tv movie)

Old 10-02-14, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Battery was an overrated baseball-infused snoozefest.
Aww. I don't even know anything about baseball (all I know about any sport is that there's usually a ball involved somehow), and didn't notice it being baseball-infused
Old 10-02-14, 07:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Aww. I don't even know anything about baseball (all I know about any sport is that there's usually a ball involved somehow), and didn't notice it being baseball-infused
Were you asleep?
Old 10-02-14, 07:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

I'm having a bizarre series of coincidences play out as I watch films this year. Cats. I'm being constantly subjected to creepy cats. I swear I'm not intentionally picking anything with them, and probably not even unconsciously, as I'm just watching the subset picks and choosing films specifically for the checklist.

Cats have been featured players in The Uninvited, The Carrier, Re-Animator, Eye of the Cat (a very good 'blind buy' for an M rating on YouTube), and in smaller parts in a few others. Maybe the little beast my wife recently surprised me with, who plays on this keypad constantly, is picking films for me.
Old 10-02-14, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you asleep?
No, was just enjoying other aspects I suppose :P
Old 10-02-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

Since The Carrier seems a little questionable for today's theme, I've decided to push it until the weekend and revisit Piranha instead. It has been a while since I've seen it so I figure it was a pretty good excuse to break out the Blu-ray.

What's weird is that as much as I've been looking forward to the challenge starting, I've been a little bit slow to get into the swing of things. I've just had a lot going on these first few days. I know I'll kick things more into gear once I get out of work Friday, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.