Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Just posted my review of THE PROWLER. Unfortunately I'm 0 for 3 so far this year. Oh well, some of these films are unknown for a reason.
Old 10-02-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Just posted my write-up with brief thoughts on all 8 films from yesterday. Take a look if you're interested http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...014-day-1.html
Old 10-02-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikewendt
Just a curiosity question... who's running, or more accurately, not running the twitter page for the Oct. Horror Challenge?

@OctHorrorChall
No tweets sine 2012 so I don't think anyone is running it
Old 10-02-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched Satan's Little Helper last night and so far that is on top of my list for worst movie watched so far this challenge. Only Day 2 but it will be really hard to be worse than that movie. Everything about it was bad.
Old 10-02-14, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why oh why did I avoid Dead Snow for so long?
Old 10-02-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just watched the notorious Sleepaway Camp IV: The Survivor in its "complete" version. As I mention in my review, this should qualify as a "found footage" flick, since its makers found footage from the first three films and recycled it. Pretty bad, but still watchable as a highlight reel.
Old 10-02-14, 10:43 AM

Does anyone know if Cujo would be ok to use under tonight's theme? I slightly remember it being set in summer with the heat issue in the car? If not it's ok, just thought I'd ask if it qualifies out of curiosity.

Edit: Nevermind just saw it got taken off of netflix streaming, that was where I was interested to watch it for particular reasons so I'll choose something else.

Last edited by arw6040; 10-02-14 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Uh oh. I'm relying on the subset films to satisfy the theme night 'requirement'. I'll have to plan my evening's viewing to make sure it's covered.
I'm with Trevor on this one concerning THE CARRIER. I'm going to be at work until 9:30 tonight, and I'll only have time to watch one movie once I get home...and it's got to pull double-duty, or I'm screwed out of either the subset or the theme night.

Chad, is there any way that you can make a call on this? Is there a backup film that we can go to? Or can we all just agree that THE CARRIER satisfies the theme night even if it actually doesn't? Either way, I'm okay...I just need to know if I've somehow got to find another film before I get home tonight.
Old 10-02-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell S
If you liked that one, try the Outpost. I really enjoyed that.
Old 10-02-14, 11:07 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I think this happened at least once before and the mismatched subset film was allowed as counting towards the theme night.

Originally Posted by JOE29
Outpost is a good movie; but I like it's sequel better - Outpost: Black Sun is more a zombie based political mystery but well done. There's even a recent third Outpost movie I'm looking forward to checking out.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I'm with Trevor on this one concerning THE CARRIER. I'm going to be at work until 9:30 tonight, and I'll only have time to watch one movie once I get home...and it's got to pull double-duty, or I'm screwed out of either the subset or the theme night.

Chad, is there any way that you can make a call on this? Is there a backup film that we can go to? Or can we all just agree that THE CARRIER satisfies the theme night even if it actually doesn't? Either way, I'm okay...I just need to know if I've somehow got to find another film before I get home tonight.
Sorry that I threw a wrench into this one, but I knew directly that it didn't satisfy the criteria. Maybe The Carrier could be listed as an optional bonus film, or ANY summer-themed title could count as the subset? That might work as it's probably late to assign a proper title.
Old 10-02-14, 11:26 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Sorry that I threw a wrench into this one, but I knew directly that it didn't satisfy the criteria. Maybe The Carrier could be listed as an optional bonus film, or ANY summer-themed title could count as the subset? That might work as it's probably late to assign a proper title.
Indie,

I'm glad that you caught it. If you hadn't mentioned anything about it and I sat down at 9:30 or so tonight and noticed what you noticed, I would have been kinda horked, as at that point there would be no recourse. At least this way, if we can come to some sort of a consensus early enough, it can be rectified to an extent.
Old 10-02-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm thinking of the original Friday the 13th for my theme movie, as they are getting summer camp ready to open.
Old 10-02-14, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
I just saw that one listed on Amazon and wondered if it would be any good. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!
Old 10-02-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I always treat the subset and theme nights as separate films (I try to watch at least one theme night entry per day, but I don't always get around to the subsets), so I'm planning to watch Race With the Devil to satisfy the summer theme. Not a great film, but very enjoyable despite an ending you can see coming a mile away. The cast is solid--Loretta Swit (Hot Lips from MASH), Peter Fonda, Lara Parker (Angelique from the original Dark Shadows soap opera), and the great Warren Oates.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-02-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I watched Final Exam last night....it is totally unremarkable (and really not very good) in every single way except one: it is SO 80s. Hell, I had to check the case for the date, and it says 1981, so it's early, but MAN....there's bad clothes and typewriters and turntables and geeks and jocks and commodore 64s (I think it was a 64, it was something like that) just ALL over the place. Oh AND it's Southern fried, with some real good ol'boy characters. AND some genuinely funny lines.

I read the above again and feel compelled to say again, it's NOT good--but if you need some 80s cheese, good pick.
And a hilarious terrorism prank. Haha 80s.
Old 10-02-14, 12:12 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Bad Milo was not so good as I hoped it would be; more limited like a lukewarm joke that went on too long.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-14 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

My thoughts on The Uninvited and Stalled can be found in their respective threads. My goal this year is to watch two movies every evening and I can all ready tell that's going to be pretty difficult.

As you guys know I do a montage of all of the movies I watch at the end of the month, and it's been a major headache getting that setup this year. I wanted the overall quality of the footage to be much higher this year so I've been trying to stay with HD and BluRays. I haven't been able to get any free software to work adequately so I went ahead and dropped $80 on the new DVDPower software only to find that they have something in their software that blocks from capturing the clips to use in my montage. So that was a big waste of money. I've got a temporary solution that's working, but I hope it lasts through the month.

As for movies I started on Bonus Night with Rosemary's Baby, which is just a classic. Last night I watched my Curtains BD from Synapse and I really liked it. It was interesting take on the competitive nature of acting and the sleazy casting-couch nature of Hollywood. The guy playing the movie director is one of the most repulsive characters I've had the pleasure of watching. Some good scares as well, I will probably rewatch this sometime shortly after the contest.
Old 10-02-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell S
Such a great movie!
Old 10-02-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Anyone know of some Halloween themed shorts on Youtube? Tonight I'm thinking of my Halloween themed Three Stooges, but don't have enough shorts to make a full entry.
Old 10-02-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
And a hilarious terrorism prank. Haha 80s.
Yeah not one you'd likely see today, even from stupid frat boys.

Couple of ominous "free candy" 80s vans in that movie too. All bad guys in the 80s had vans.
Old 10-02-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Interesting films tonight.

Tested the waters of some Mexican horror with The Brainiac (aka "The Terror of the Baron"). I wouldn't say it's "the most bizarre horror film ever made" as the DVD implied, but pretty out there. The inflating/deflating Halloween mask and dollar store effects were a hoot. I'm definitely looking forward to diving into more of my unopened CasaNega titles.
I watched that one a couple of years ago and thought it was a hoot! So much so that I upgraded the crappy PD style release with a copy of the CasaNega one. It's currently in my unopened pile so I should be watching it sometime this month.

I watched Hammer Films Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971) last night for a first time viewing. It was far better than I'd been expecting. The appearance of Burke and Hare as his suppliers was a nice surprise - as was how the pair ended up - well... maybe "nice" is a somewhat inappropriate way to describe their ends but... The revised story also throws in a bit of the "Jack the Ripper" legend which worked well to change things a bit. It actually contained *less* nudity and titillation than I was expecting, especially for a Hammer from this period, and overall is a pretty well done take on the original. It's well worth a second, third, or more viewing.
Old 10-02-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I watched Final Exam last night....it is totally unremarkable (and really not very good) in every single way except one: it is SO 80s. Hell, I had to check the case for the date, and it says 1981, so it's early, but MAN....there's bad clothes and typewriters and turntables and geeks and jocks and commodore 64s (I think it was a 64, it was something like that) just ALL over the place. Oh AND it's Southern fried, with some real good ol'boy characters. AND some genuinely funny lines.

I read the above again and feel compelled to say again, it's NOT good--but if you need some 80s cheese, good pick.
You just convinced me to buy this movie.
Old 10-02-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Anyone know of some Halloween themed shorts on Youtube? Tonight I'm thinking of my Halloween themed Three Stooges, but don't have enough shorts to make a full entry.
Maybe one or more of these will help:

10 Classic Halloween Cartoons You Can Watch Right Now
Old 10-02-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I watched that one a couple of years ago and thought it was a hoot! So much so that I upgraded the crappy PD style release with a copy of the CasaNega one. It's currently in my unopened pile so I should be watching it sometime this month.

I watched Hammer Films Dr Jekyll & Sister Hyde (1971) last night for a first time viewing. It was far better than I'd been expecting. The appearance of Burke and Hare as his suppliers was a nice surprise - as was how the pair ended up - well... maybe "nice" is a somewhat inappropriate way to describe their ends but... The revised story also throws in a bit of the "Jack the Ripper" legend which worked well to change things a bit. It actually contained *less* nudity and titillation than I was expecting, especially for a Hammer from this period, and overall is a pretty well done take on the original. It's well worth a second, third, or more viewing.
I love that movie. The trailer and the title give the impression that it's just sleazy exploitation, but it's actually a really entertaining horror flick. Sadly, it's OOP in the US, but I hope Scream Factory might release it on Blu.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.