Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 04:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

There are also browser add-ons to allow one to download YouTube videos, not sure of the legality. But maybe for subset choices where the possibility of them being pulled looks strong, a few of us could download them ahead of time and share them on that date if needed.
Old 09-19-14, 05:02 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

My offer still stands to, as I did last year, host videos of all subset picks on my google drive. It's essentially like a private youtube. I can't guarantee quality, because sometimes the only versions available are a couple generations removed from VHS or whatever, but I can aim for HD when possible and at least 480p when not. I have my own sources, so they don't need to be currently streaming anywhere for me to be able to track them down.

I'm not a very active participant (I'm a lurker at heart), and my life's pretty helter skelter right now (my roommate/best friend/essentially sister has just been diagnosed with cancer, with the bonus side effect of her parents moving into our 3-bedroom apartment for the duration of her treatment), so I'll probably be even less participatory than other years. It would make me feel like I'm contributing something to this challenge I love so much if I can provide a way for some people to be able to watch the subset picks when it would have been difficult for them to do so otherwise because of disappearing youtube videos or lack of Netflix subscription.
Old 09-19-14, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm all for streaming, and I think that it's great to have that option, but those who want to join in on the subset picks will find a way to do so, regardless of whether a film is streaming or not.

I know that I've ordered used copies of several DVDs for Challenges in the past. If we have the subset picks finalized early enough, I make a quick check to see how cheaply I can get those that I don't already own. If I can find them for $5 or less, new or used, I usually snag a few. I also upgrade my Netflix account for the month of October so that I can get discs from them, too. Several times, I've gotten in touch with friends to see if they had copies of subset films that they could loan me.

Like I said, if you want to join in, you'll make the effort to track down all of the subset picks. It adds yet another layer of fun to the Challenge--the thrill of the hunt!
Old 09-19-14, 06:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking of issues with streaming, does anyone else use Primewire? I'd assume it has the same pseudo legality of YouTube, but seems to very rarely have the links taken down. And it's easy to search and has about 80% or more of the suggestions available.

Not sure what the opinions of it are on here, but it opens up the field considerably for subset choices.

Last edited by PCBreakdown; 09-19-14 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling was sad
Old 09-19-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Like I said, if you want to join in, you'll make the effort to track down all of the subset picks. It adds yet another layer of fun to the Challenge--the thrill of the hunt!
This is the most rational comment. I think the YouTube links are useful, but most of us will seek out the most satisfactory viewing options that we can find. I still think it's okay to have options that aren't available for streaming.
Old 09-19-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
So I've noticed that a few people have provided subset picks with YouTube streaming links and that's fine. However, in a few cases, and aside from the possibility of running across an old VHS copy, it's the only means of watching them. This brings up a couple of issues:
  1. YouTube has been known to pull videos at a moment's notice. Do we take the chance on them?

2. Quality. There's a few that are as low as 360p and even 240p. They may be watchable on a computer screen, but for those viewing these on a larger screen TV, well, they're gonna look downright shitty. Is there some sort of quality standard we should strive for here? 480p and above only, maybe?
I think they are good for the VHS subset, because it is closer to vhs quality
Old 09-19-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
My offer still stands to, as I did last year, host videos of all subset picks on my google drive. It's essentially like a private youtube. I can't guarantee quality, because sometimes the only versions available are a couple generations removed from VHS or whatever, but I can aim for HD when possible and at least 480p when not. I have my own sources, so they don't need to be currently streaming anywhere for me to be able to track them down.

I'm not a very active participant (I'm a lurker at heart), and my life's pretty helter skelter right now (my roommate/best friend/essentially sister has just been diagnosed with cancer, with the bonus side effect of her parents moving into our 3-bedroom apartment for the duration of her treatment), so I'll probably be even less participatory than other years. It would make me feel like I'm contributing something to this challenge I love so much if I can provide a way for some people to be able to watch the subset picks when it would have been difficult for them to do so otherwise because of disappearing youtube videos or lack of Netflix subscription.
I really appreciate the effort you put into this last year. I probably watched 4 or 5 movies off your service that I couldn't find elsewhere. I think it's really helpful for those who want to suggest good subset picks that are not available on the major streaming websites.
Old 09-19-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just to be clear here, I wasn't saying the subset picks have to be streaming; they don't. And I was referring specifically to picks with YouTube videos where the quality is probably as good as it gets because they never received anything beyond a VHS release.

Originally Posted by alyxstarr

Yes, that would be great if it's not too much trouble on your part.
Old 09-20-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I'm about halfway done with the subset. I'll post what themes have been used, and what's still needed tomorrow. I'm hoping it gets done before the weekend ends.

5 is the number of subset volunteers still needed.
Old 09-20-14, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Just cannot wait for October and it is sooo hard not to start early. There's a Walmart by my work so last week or so I go over on my lunch break to see what kind of horror movies they have. Picked up 2 movies, though not expecting too much from them. Got Asylum of the Dead with Michael Rooker as well as Battery, which got a little praise from a few different horror websites. Hoping they turn out pretty decent. Heard the next V/H/S movie (screw the ABCs of Death film which was trash and won't be suckered into part 2) comes out on VOD in late October so hope that happens.
Old 09-20-14, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Just cannot wait for October and it is sooo hard not to start early. There's a Walmart by my work so last week or so I go over on my lunch break to see what kind of horror movies they have. Picked up 2 movies, though not expecting too much from them. Got Asylum of the Dead with Michael Rooker as well as Battery, which got a little praise from a few different horror websites. Hoping they turn out pretty decent. Heard the next V/H/S movie (screw the ABCs of Death film which was trash and won't be suckered into part 2) comes out on VOD in late October so hope that happens.
The Battery is great! Well worth a look. (assuming you're talking about the 2012 zombie film?)
Old 09-20-14, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I choose not to watch horror in September. I'm into catching up on other stuff. I pretty much restrict October to nothing but horror. I'm fine with eleven more days of non-horror, but I shall be happy to start on Oct. 1st.
Old 09-20-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Battery is excellent.
Old 09-20-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Adding The Battery to my October plans! Seems to be popular enough here to warrant a watch.
Old 09-20-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
The Battery is great! Well worth a look. (assuming you're talking about the 2012 zombie film?)
That I am. Excited I picked it up with the couple of posts here praising it.

On another note, it's always strange that films came out a couple of years ago and just now is in stores to buy. Got to love the 1+ year of doing the film festivals and waiting to get a distributor to finally get the film into the hands of the consumers.
Old 09-20-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I have started watching horror now (at least a little bit) mainly because I always run out of time in October and wished I had watched more. And for me, Halloween season begins after Labor Day anyway.
Old 09-20-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I have started watching horror now (at least a little bit) mainly because I always run out of time in October and wished I had watched more. And for me, Halloween season begins after Labor Day anyway.
Nothing wrong with that I watched a couple horror movies for the Criterion Challenge, and some Horror Docs.
Old 09-20-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright guys, here's how it's going with this puzzle of a subset so far...

1. Stalled (bathroom/kitchen) - mightysparks
  2. The Carrier (summer-themed) - The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
  3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (dreams, drugs & hallucinations) - Darkgod
  4. Club Dread (comedy/teen screams) - PCBreakdown
  5. Come Out and Play (deserted island horror) - rbrown498
  6. The Comedy of Terrors (chronological) - ntnon
  7. The House On Haunted Hill (Bava/Castle) - cwileyy
  8. The Howling (werewolves/were-creatures/Full Moon) - ororama
  9. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (foodservice industry terrors) - nezumi
  10. The Vampire Lovers (lesbians, brothels & sex demons) - clckworang
  11. The Funhouse (35 years of Fangoria covers) - Chad
  12. Buried Alive (graveyard horrors) - indiephantom
  13. Mimic: Sentinel (before they were stars) - Mondo Kane
  14. Rabid (motorcyle terrors) - Bladz
  15. The Host (Asian) - tarfrimmer
  16. Intruder (retail establishment terrors) - therja
  17. The Brood (dads/moms) - DaveyJoe
  18. ????? (1980's video companies) -
  19. Jack's Back (slashers, giallos & serial killers) - J. Farley
  20. Vampire in Venice (vampires/apocalyptic) - SethDLH
  21. Phantom of the Paradise (original song) - Gobear
  22. ????? (sibling rivalry) -
  23. Christine (planes, trains & automobiles) - Darth Maher
  24. Bio-Zombie (zombies) - coyoteblue
  25. ????? (drive-in double features) -
  26. Oculus (supernatural & quiet/soft) - arw6040
  27. The House That Dripped Blood (anthology) - Undeadcow
  28. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (masked killers) - shadokitty
  29. Rats: Nights of Terror (creature features) - SterlingBen
  30. ????? (demonic possession/satanic/witchcraft) -
  31. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Halloween) - jacob_b

Last edited by Chad; 09-21-14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And that means the following people need to resubmit some picks (sorry):
  • Trevor

At this point it's probably best to claim one theme and give a few picks based solely on it. And any of the additional suggestions from people already on the list are up for grabs.

The 3 currently unclaimed themes are:
  • 1980's video companies
  • drive-in double features
  • demonic possession/satanic/witchcraft

The following 2 people need to volunteer:
  • ?????
  • ?????

The page with all the subset info is here.

Last edited by Chad; 09-21-14 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-20-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
And that means the following 4 people need to resubmit some picks (sorry):
  • ororama
  • Trevor
  • Mondo Kane
  • shadokitty

At this point it's probably best to claim one theme and give a few picks based solely on it. And any of the additional suggestions from people already on the list are up for grabs.

The 9 currently unclaimed themes are:
  • Bava/Castle
  • werewolves/were-creatures/Full Moon
  • foodservice industry terrors
  • before they were stars
  • 1980's video companies
  • sibling rivalry
  • drive-in double features
  • masked killers
  • demonic possession/satanic/witchcraft

The following 5 people need to volunteer:
  • ?????
  • ?????
  • ?????
  • ?????
  • ?????

The page with all the subset info is here.
Chad, I guess you never noticed that I had submitted an alternate. For masked Killers I submitted Friday the 13th Part VII, and I don't know if it is streaming, but for sibling rivalry, there is always Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.
Old 09-20-14, 10:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

For William Castle, it looks like we have never done House on Haunted Hill, which seems crazy to me and would be perfect.
Old 09-21-14, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Is Alexis Dziena a big enough star to qualify in the before/stars category? If so, I pick Mimic 3: Sentinel aka "Rear Window meets Giant Roaches"
Old 09-21-14, 03:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For werewolves/were-creatures/Full Moon, I'll offer:

Brotherhood of the Wolf (the challenge can push me to watch a longer movie that I've neglected)

The Howling (love this, haven't seen it in a long time)

Altered States (haven't watched it on blu ray yet)

The Curse of the Werewolf (haven't seen it yet, hope I can locate my DVD)

Cat People (1942) (too long since I've seen this)

I'm too tired to even try to search for links, but any one of these that isn't too hard to come by on disc or on the internet is fine with me.
Old 09-21-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ororama

Brotherhood of the Wolf (the challenge can push me to watch a longer movie that I've neglected)

I'm too tired to even try to search for links, but any one of these that isn't too hard to come by on disc or on the internet is fine with me.
The Howling is what I like best from your list. I've been watching that forever. Although I don't think that i've seen that since last years challenge. So it will be primed and ready to go. The Howling 2 is fun also with Christopher Lee.
Altered Sates is interesting too. I have that DVD and haven't seen that in a good 10-15 years. That would be fun to watch again. I haven't seen that in so long that it would be like watching a new release.
Old 09-21-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ororama

I dont know how easy it is to dined online since I'm in Canada and don't have access to all the streaming sites, but have you guys ever done Ginger Snaps 2? or even the first one?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.