Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to the new release threads?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously DVDs are going the way of VHS. It's strange to visit the DVD Talk forum and see so few new threads. I was wondering how long ago did people stop posting the new release threads. You remember. The thread where someone would post every new DVD coming out this week where we would all happily declare which DVDs we were going to buy that week. There was always a weirdo or two who would buy (or at least say they were going to buy) most of the DVDs that were coming out.

As I rarely buy new DVDs, I stopped following those threads, but now I realize I haven't seen that thread in a long time.
Old 08-12-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Whatever happened to the new release threads?

Originally Posted by madcougar
Obviously DVDs are going the way of VHS.
Making a comeback through a niche market?
Old 08-13-14, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to put some of those BD and DVD new release threads together for around six or seven months -- about four years ago.

I simply didn't have the time -- or the will on the DVD side -- to do it anymore.

The DVD one was a pain to research/format/clean-up and got maybe half the views and participation of the BD thread even in 2010. At that point it was a few nuggets mixed in with a lot of repackages.

I know some people have done the BD one from time to time. I'm not sure anyone took up the mantle on the DVD-side, but I don't think there's enough interest or traffic for anyone to put the time into it anymore.
Old 08-13-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Adboy151
The DVD one was a pain to research/format/clean-up and got maybe half the views and participation of the BD thread even in 2010. At that point it was a few nuggets mixed in with a lot of repackages.

I know some people have done the BD one from time to time. I'm not sure anyone took up the mantle on the DVD-side, but I don't think there's enough interest or traffic for anyone to put the time into it anymore.
There is a weekly thread for BD releases.

The interest in new dvd releases really has bottomed out, IMO. I'd say that about 85% of my media purchases are on BD now. The only titles I really still purchase on dvd are wrestling related and aren't released on BD.
Old 08-13-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've always liked buying used but now my DVD buying is almost exclusively used (excepting MST3K and Doctor Who when it's sale).

Most other new releases I generally go for Bluray.
Old 08-13-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what those people who claimed to buy every DVD that came out are doing with their collection of 10,000 DVDs...
Old 08-13-14, 04:13 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

I wonder what those people who claimed to buy every DVD that came out are doing with their collection of 10,000 DVDs...
Watching Them!
Old 08-14-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Regulus
Watching Them!
There's a place in Houston called the Movie Exchange that buys and sells used DVDs. They've been around for a few years. Lately, you won't get more than pennies for your used DVDs, but I'm constantly shocked how many people I see bringing in tubs and tubs of DVDs THAT ARE STILL IN THE PLASTIC!
Old 08-14-14, 05:40 PM

There's a place in Houston called the Movie Exchange that buys and sells used DVDs. They've been around for a few years. Lately, you won't get more than pennies for your used DVDs, but I'm constantly shocked how many people I see bringing in tubs and tubs of DVDs THAT ARE STILL IN THE PLASTIC!
You can see that at most any used DVD store. Especially lately when you can get so many titles for dirt cheap.

But yes, I find it odd as well. I tend to only buy what I actually want to watch.
Old 08-14-14, 10:02 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogg
You can see that at most any used DVD store. Especially lately when you can get so many titles for dirt cheap.

But yes, I find it odd as well. I tend to only buy what I actually want to watch.
Agreed. But desire is one thing, but ability can often change - so it isn't necessarily frivolity or excessive desire, but maybe a realisation that changed circumstances have made the pile too large to get through in a reasonable amount of time...?

Also, I know a lot of people check everything they buy, but surely as many keep things in the plastic if they know they won't get to them for a while.
Old 08-14-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The interest in new dvd releases really has bottomed out, IMO. I'd say that about 85% of my media purchases are on BD now. The only titles I really still purchase on dvd are wrestling related and aren't released on BD.
Yup. I don't buy new release DVDs any more, but catalog titles for sure (especially ones that will never get a BD release). That, and older TV shows.
Old 08-14-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Most of the hardcore collectors have shifted their main priorities to Blu-ray releases, you'll see more of that discussion in HD Talk. The people still buying new-release DVDs are mainly casual consumers not interested in posting about it on a discussion board.

I only buy DVDs of content which I don't believe will ever hit BD or if they are super-cheap.
Old 08-17-14, 01:57 AM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Recently, Wal Mart is taking away from Blu Ray at many stores and replacing it with more DVDs. I think DVD is not done yet. Their customers apparently didn't buy Blu-ray like DVD.
Old 08-17-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by g
Recently, Wal Mart is taking away from Blu Ray at many stores and replacing it with more DVDs. I think DVD is not done yet. Their customers apparently didn't buy Blu-ray like DVD.
Prices on new release Blu-rays seem to be on an uptick. The day I pay $24.96 for Haunted House 2 at Wal-Mart will be the day pigs fly. I don't think it is a matter of liking one format more than the other in this case. They're just pricing themselves out of the Blu-ray business.
Old 08-18-14, 07:26 PM

Of course Wal-Mart carried VHS until very recently. That's not a reflection of most of us, but of the Wal-Mart customers. These are the same people that want an image on the entire screen of their widescreen TV, regardless of the source AR.
Old 08-21-14, 09:41 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Some people over at Bluray forum are hinting at a similar issue going on at Best Buy an Target. So I wouldn't say it was only walmart customers.