6th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Old 09-05-14, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by popcorn
It's a Popular Culture in the 1960's class. So I understand why Strangelove would be included. Here's the complete lineup, in case you're interested:

One, Two, Three (1961), Dr. Strangelove (1964), The Birds (1963), The Intruder (1962), Point Blank (1967), Soldier Blue (1970), Planet of the Apes (1968), Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969), Rosemary’s Baby (1968), The Graduate (1967), Bonnie and Clyde (1967), Easy Rider (1969), The Strawberry Statement (1970), Monterey Pop (1967)

Should be a good semester. Wish some of those Criterions movies occurred this month!
Thanks.

Seeing it now as a Sixties class, that does make a bit more sense, too!
Old 09-05-14, 02:12 AM

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
This is all I've been able to find. Only one I could see that's on CC DVD/Blu, a dozen-or-so from the Laserdisc side, and a couple of Hulu-only ones.

There may be more - please tell me if you find some!
UPDATED!
  • The Last Laugh (Murnau)
  • Sabotage (Hitchcock)
  • Secret Agent (Hitchcock)
  • Young & Innocent (Hitchcock)
  • The Thirty-Nine Steps (Hitchcock)
  • A Canterbury Tale (Powell & Pressburger)
  • The Jungle Book (Korda)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel (Harold Young)
  • The Divorce of Lady X (Tim Whelan)
  • Q Planes (Tim Whelan)
  • Lady For a Day (Capra)
  • In Which We Serve
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
  • The Killing (Kubrick)
  • David Holzman's Diary
  • The Graduate
  • Annie Hall
  • Carrie
  • Blade Runner
  • This is Spinal Tap
  • Trainspotting
  • Pulp Fiction
  • The English Patient
  • Sling Blade (Billy Bob Thornton)
  • House of Games (Mamet)
Old 09-05-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just ordered the Criterion Collection copy of Life of Brian. Hopefully, next year I'll get more Criterions throughout the year.
Old 09-05-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Anyone know if there's any eclipse titles on Netflix streaming?
Old 09-05-14, 12:49 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

If you can find it anywhere Milky Way (out of print Criterion DVD release) is one of my favorite movies; it might be niche (surreal parody of religious controversies) but I highly recommend it to anyone who can find a copy or it streaming somewhere. Too bad Milky Way has not been re-released by whoever holds the rights to it now.
Old 09-05-14, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched Contempt last night and really enjoyed it. I think I like Goddard more when he is not outright trying to antagonize the audience.
Old 09-05-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

After all my pre-challenge excitement, wouldn't you know I'd be wiped out by a cold/bug of some kind all week? However, my library got in all three of my DVD requests, which means I have access to all of Martin Scorsese's Top 10 selections! Woot! I started around midnight or thereabouts with Paisa' [Paisan]. From my Letterboxd diary:

[No real spoilers, but spoiler'd for length.]

Spoiler:
I decided for this year's DVD Talk Criterion Challenge that I wanted to watch all of one of the celebrity Top 10 lists on their site. After careful consideration, I settled on Martin Scorsese's Top 10. First up: Paisan.

Melodrama works best in certain milieus; silents, animation, and short form. Though this is a feature-length film, because it's comprised of six discontinuous "episodes", the brevity allows for the shorthand of character development and thematic grandeur. Episode III, in Rome, is the most melodramatic, focusing on the ill-fated lovers Fred and Franchesca.

That story is as captivating as it is because of where it takes place within the film. On one level, Paisan is a travelogue. By the time we've followed the Allies to Rome, we're ready for a reprieve from the danger of the front lines and the harshness facing orphans. A romance that doesn't come together as it should feels almost self-indulgent surrounded by the other episodes, but it works because this is the eye of the storm.

More than that, though, as scholar Adriano Aprà points out in his video interview, Paisan is also about the forged-in-fire relationship between Americans and Italians. Each episode brings characters from the two countries closer to one another. Communication improves, but so do personal relationships. By the time the Allied march up The Boot reached Rome - where our protagonists have been for six months - the ice had been thoroughly broken. It's natural that romances and sexual dalliances should bloom under the umbrella of stability.

Of course, what grounds all this melodrama is the stark reality of the setting. Rossellini shot Paisan in the immediate aftermath of World War II, capturing on film the ruins and rubble left by the military campaigns recreated in its narratives. Few of the people we see on screen are actors; the vast majority are the men, women, and children trying to reconstruct their lives, their cities, and their world.

Married to the neo-realism construction is the diversity of the film's protagonists and themes. Each episode presents us with a different cross-section of Italian societies; mistrusting Sicilian civilians, orphans fending for themselves, girls and women compelled into prostitution, and even the least expected: Episode V's Franciscan monks, their initial hospitality toward three American chaplains soured when it is revealed that only one of the trio is Catholic. These juxtapositions between social classes, ages, genders, vocations all imbue the film with a "street level" perspective that feels, by its bittersweet conclusion, to have surveyed the entirety of Italy during the time of the Allies's liberation.

One more element that must be recognized for its impact on the film is the sound. As was standard for Italian productions, everyone looped their dialog (or had it looped by voice stand-ins in some cases) after filming. In a few shots the syncing is obviously off, but for the most part it's surprisingly convincing. And yet, what stands out is how heightened the blend of voices, sound effects, and music complete the audio/visual experience of the film.

In the opening scene, for instance, as we watch a small group of American soldiers approach an abandoned castle that does, in fact, evoke the one in Frankenstein (I had that thought just before the resemblance is remarked upon by one of the characters, and at that moment I knew that Paisan and I were going to be buddies). We hear bombs and artillery fire exchanged somewhere else; footsteps going up and down stone stairs sometimes drowning out those bombardments, reminding us that whatever may be going on elsewhere, our concern is more immediate. There is more danger in that narrow staircase than there is wherever those shells are laying waste to God knows what.

It's a simple thing, really, to make one noise louder than another. And yet, so mindful of the relationships between characters, setting, and also between audience and film, each sound we hear is meticulously placed to call our attention to - or away from - wherever Rossellini wants it to go. Bear in mind, this is a film whose original audio mix was constructed long before Dolby 7.1 channel surround sound systems. This is easily one of the most ear-catching sound mixes I've ever heard from a film, and it disappointed me to find almost no mention of it whatsoever in either the aforementioned video interview with Adriano Aprà, a visual essay called Into the Future about Rossellini's "War Trilogy" by Tag Gallagher, or in Colin MacCabe's penned essay, Paisan: More Real Than Real.

[As I streamed the film from HuluPlus, these were the only supplements from the DVD release made accessible to me. I can therefore not comment on whether the sound mix is discussed elsewhere on the Criterion Collection DVD release.]

All in all, a terrific kickoff to this year's Criterion Challenge!

Paisan entered my Flickchart at #52/1649

-X- 1940 - 1946
-X- 451-500 - #498
-X- Watch films in at least 5 languages. (English, German, Italian)
-X- Watch 5 films from different people in Criterion's Explore People - Roberto Rosselini
-X- Watch a film from 5 different “themes” on Criterion’s website - Italian Neorealism, Made During World War II, Tearjerkers
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here
-X- Paisan: Alfred Hayes, Screenwriter by A.S. Hamrah
-X- Paisan: More Real Than Real by Colin MacCabe
Watch 5 Criterion supplemental interviews.
-X- New video interview with Rossellini scholar Adriano Aprà (16:56)
-X- Into the Future, a new visual essay about the War Trilogy by film scholar Tag Gallagher (30:55)

Box Set/Top 10 Lists
Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy
John Bailey's Top 10
Martin Scorsese's Top 10
Haskell Wexler's Top 10

Last edited by Travis McClain; 09-05-14 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Streaming Free on Hulu This Week: Trip Around the World
Old 09-05-14, 08:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

not sure why it took so long to see Breaking the Waves first time viewing this afternoon - but I was floored.
Old 09-05-14, 08:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
UPDATED!
  • The Last Laugh (Murnau)
  • Sabotage (Hitchcock)
  • Secret Agent (Hitchcock)
  • Young & Innocent (Hitchcock)
  • The Thirty-Nine Steps (Hitchcock)
  • A Canterbury Tale (Powell & Pressburger)
  • The Jungle Book (Korda)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel (Harold Young)
  • The Divorce of Lady X (Tim Whelan)
  • Q Planes (Tim Whelan)
  • Lady For a Day (Capra)
  • In Which We Serve
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
  • The Killing (Kubrick)
  • David Holzman's Diary
  • The Graduate
  • Annie Hall
  • Carrie
  • Blade Runner
  • This is Spinal Tap
  • Trainspotting
  • Pulp Fiction
  • The English Patient
  • Sling Blade (Billy Bob Thornton)
  • House of Games (Mamet)
isn't the US bluray edition of this the theatrical cut R-rated version?
Old 09-06-14, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just updated that list post of all the Box Sets and Top 10 lists. It's a little more manageable now, further broken into sub-categories than before.
Old 09-06-14, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Do the bonus features have to be Criterion bonus features, or can you list non Criterion bonus features if you don't have the Criterion edition? I'm not talking for the checklist, I just mean for the regular list.
Originally Posted by Travis McClain
It's CardiffGiant's call, but my feeling is that those non-Criterion supplements are outside the letter of the law of the challenge, but since they flesh out your understanding and perceptions of the film, they're within the spirit of the challenge. I would recommend formatting like this:
  1. Criterion Edition Title
  2. Criterion Edition Title Commentary
  3. Non-Criterion Edition Title
    Non-Criterion Edition Title Supplement

You might also want to check to see if the supplement in question appears on the Criterion edition. For instance, Disney licensed all the Criterion supplements for their Blu-ray Disc releases of Armageddon and The Rock. I think when I compared editions of Being John Malkovich last year, I saw that Criterion had re-used some, if not all, of the original DVD supplements.
I've had a very busy week at work and finally just say down to get caught up on hosting duties and finally watching a disc.

I think Travis' answer is a good one and that your suggestion (regular list versus checklist) is also appropriate. I wouldn't include it in the checklist items (except for the main feature itself and any crossover supplemental material), but I think adding in "other" content is great for adding to the larger conversation about the films we're watching. When Trevor started this thing, the idea was for depth more than breadth. I think this approach (including additional material) enhances our discussion.

UNRELATED: I'll be responding to other posts later today. Sorry for the delay everyone...I'll try and be a better host the rest of the month.
Old 09-06-14, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I watched The Cranes Are Flying after my family went to bed. I agree that it's an excellent film, and I will have to borrow Ballad of a Soldier from the library when I get back home. The film put me in the mood for Russian and Soviet cinema so I may have to change my initial plans a bit. (I'm one of those people who plan around the checklist and make a list of films to watch.) While reading about the film, I found out that the director of Cranes also directed Letter Never Sent, one of my favorites.
I'm glad you liked it! I also plan around the checklist and I have Letter Never Sent or Weekend (Godard) listed for that spine number range. I blind bought both of them, so I'm hoping I have time to watch both.
Old 09-06-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Just finished watching A Hard Day's Night on Hulu Plus. I'm a bit late but it was my first Criterion movie for this challenge. I love the music and it was nice seeing the personalities of each member shine through but didn't much care about the story. Not that there was much of a story to begin with... I will eventually purchase this movie just for the music itself.
Old 09-06-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I had never gotten around to watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button before now, so I watched it today. I thought it was quite good actually, in a Forrest Gump kind of way.

I also watched Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas for the first time.
Old 09-06-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started watching Seven Samurai on Hulu today. But just didn't have the time to sit all the way through it. I really enjoyed what I saw though.
Old 09-06-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched the TV episode of No Time For Sergeants, starring Andy Griffith in his very first role, and really liked it. Seriously, watch it. It's good and I was never a big Griffith fan until now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyOI3Prkh8M

Next episode was Wind From the South. Hated that and it took multiple tries to finish a 50 minute show.

I was pulling unwatched Criterions off my shelf earlier and set the horror ones aside. Not sure why because it's not like I'd be able to watch more than one during the challenge crossover.
Old 09-06-14, 10:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I was pulling unwatched Criterions off my shelf earlier and set the horror ones aside. Not sure why because it's not like I'd be able to watch more than one during the challenge crossover.
You get like 12 hours, that's 6 or 7 films!
Old 09-07-14, 01:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also have one last Brakhage to watch and don't like him either.
I'm not a Brakhage fan either, but keeping in mind where his movies lie in the context of history can assist in appreciation of his best. Window Water Baby Moving seems a bit pretentious from a technical perspective, but if you consider that fathers routinely waited in the Waiting Room while their children were born (at least according to the episode of Bewitched in which Tabitha was born, which I assume was accurate), it seems revolutionary (as a man who saw his three children born, the past practice is incomprehensible, since their births were probably the three most amazing experiences of my life). I can appreciate the importance and beauty of this movie, even though I wish that the presentation was less arty.

Mothlight is pure beauty, and The Act of Seeing with One's Own Eyes is also beautiful, although I am uncertain if I will be able to watch it again. There are at least a few worthy others, although most have not aged well, or were misbegotten from the onset. The disc as a whole did not convince me that he was a particularly talented filmmaker (often I was convinced that he was not a competent filmmaker).

Context is always important, and it can be difficult to watch an old movie in the way that you would have watched it at the time, but it can be useful to remember that you are not watching a movie that was made yesterday. I wouldn't recommend the Brakhage set for someone who is not obsessive about movies, but it has its moments.
Old 09-07-14, 01:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been leaning toward leaving my horror re-watches (like King Kong and Cure) for the end of the month, with the aim of building the Halloween spirit as October nears.
Old 09-07-14, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ororama
I wouldn't recommend the Brakhage set for someone who is not obsessive about movies, but it has its moments.
Agreed.

But the one thing that makes the set worthwhile to me are the interviews. Along with Jodorowsky, Brakhage is another one of those guys who I just love to listen to when it comes to discussing artforms....Considering that I had previously pictured him sounding super pretentious and speaking in riddle.
Old 09-07-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm impressed with Modern Times. The movie is still relevant after all these years in regards to industrialization and technology. One of my favourite Chaplin movie. The rest of the night was watching Pulp Fiction and The Princess Bride which are still enjoyable.
Old 09-07-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
You get like 12 hours, that's 6 or 7 films!
I do think that and also follow it up with, "You have to go to work in the morning and even if you didn't, you're an old man that can't stay up late."

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Agreed.

But the one thing that makes the set worthwhile to me are the interviews. Along with Jodorowsky, Brakhage is another one of those guys who I just love to listen to when it comes to discussing artforms....Considering that I had previously pictured him sounding super pretentious and speaking in riddle.
I will admit that in small doses, I can handle some of them on their own. Watching that set from start to finish would drive me nuts. I got the set used from someone, with some other stuff, and that's the only reason I have it.

Yesterday I also squeezed in Bergman's The Magic Flute. That sure was an opera, says the guy that's never seen one before and this hasn't inspired him to sit through any others. It felt like it was 6 hours but I did it from start to finish without stopping it and I also can't say too much about what went on.
Old 09-07-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was planning to watch a movie, then all of a sudden, sleepiness came onto me. The perils of middle age I guess. I hit 40 last month.
Old 09-07-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Was planning to watch a movie, then all of a sudden, sleepiness came onto me. The perils of middle age I guess. I hit 40 last month.
Happy belated birthday!

Yesterday I also squeezed in Bergman's The Magic Flute. That sure was an opera, says the guy that's never seen one before and this hasn't inspired him to sit through any others. It felt like it was 6 hours but I did it from start to finish without stopping it and I also can't say too much about what went on.
Yup. I dealt with the Flute in challenge #3. Couldn't have said it any better.

BTW, in case people were wondering why I haven't posted any comments/reactions in this year's list thread, it's because I honestly feel that my reviews are getting worse with age........Naw, but the truth is I that I now feel a little more safe on providing comments for Exploitation films than on Criterion selections. But I'm comfortable on posting here on the discussion thread. Go figure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.