Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Just got home from film class. For the third semester in a row, I have a class where the instructor shows Dr. Strangelove in its entirety during class. I looked it up and it qualified as a Criterion laserdisc. So I can cross off "Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion" from my Challenge list!
Old 09-03-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by popcorn
For the third semester in a row, I have a class where the instructor shows Dr. Strangelove in its entirety during class...
Curious..! Three different instructors? How many films do they show overall...?
Old 09-03-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just listened to the Audio Commentary on 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the ending is actually explained.
Old 09-03-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just listened to the Audio Commentary on 2001: A Space Odyssey, and the ending is actually explained.
Is that the commentary with Keir & Gary? I still haven't listened to that one yet.
Old 09-03-14, 11:36 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Something Wild was much better than I expected; while not as "deep" as some other Criterion titles it was a nice energetic diversion.
Old 09-04-14, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Something Wild was much better than I expected; while not as "deep" as some other Criterion titles it was a nice energetic diversion.
Something Wild surprised me too. It was a blind buy for me, and I was happy with the purchase after watching it. It made me think of After Hours, one of my favorite Scorsese films. The interviews on the disc are also worth watching.
Old 09-04-14, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Finally watched Insomnia for the first time. Maybe it's because I saw it first, or that I saw it several times, but I think I prefer the American one.
Spoiler:
I think it gives a better back story in that the main character actually has a REASON to want the other detective dead. I also think it does a better job showing how the insomnia played a role in the story. Not to mention that Robin Williams was way creepier than this bad guy.

I know! I find it hard to believe myself!
Old 09-04-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Is that the commentary with Keir & Gary? I still haven't listened to that one yet.
Yeah, that's the commentary.
Old 09-04-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by pacaway
Finally watched Insomnia for the first time. Maybe it's because I saw it first, or that I saw it several times, but I think I prefer the American one.
Spoiler:
I think it gives a better back story in that the main character actually has a REASON to want the other detective dead. I also think it does a better job showing how the insomnia played a role in the story. Not to mention that Robin Williams was way creepier than this bad guy.

I know! I find it hard to believe myself!
I watched it for the first time as well but I haven't seen the US version. That being said, I figured the US one would develop the plot more and I want to see that happen. The bad guy in this one doesn't seem like all that bad a guy compared to cops covering up things like this in nearly every other movie in the world.
Old 09-04-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched Sans Soleil on Hulu. It was a beautiful documentary. I especially was moved by the scene of the family praying for the safety of their runaway cat at the cat temple.
Old 09-04-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched Sans Soleil on Hulu. It was a beautiful documentary. I especially was moved by the scene of the family praying for the safety of their runaway cat at the cat temple.
I remember that film. What I never got was all the people claiming it was so innovative when it's just a mondo film, which had been done many times over, and better IMO.

I also have one last Brakhage to watch and don't like him either.
Old 09-04-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I remember that film. What I never got was all the people claiming it was so innovative when it's just a mondo film, which had been done many times over, and better IMO.

I also have one last Brakhage to watch and don't like him either.
I guess the reason I was touched, was I had never seen it done before.
Old 09-04-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I really enjoy Something Wild. It really took
Spoiler:
an unexpected turn
when I first watched it.

My kids are hooked on this silly show called Hollywood Game Night, but Comcast on Demand doesn't have old episodes. (Bear with me here.) We googled and discovered that Hulu Plus has them so heck, free trial. I decided I might as well see what else they had, and you know where this is going now... Criterion!

That said, I haven't watched anything yet this month. Tons of Criterion titles on my shelves and available to stream, and this has traditionally been my worst challenge.
Old 09-04-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

They could be wrong, y'know...or deliberately misleading!
Old 09-04-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
I really enjoy Something Wild. It really took
Spoiler:
an unexpected turn
when I first watched it.

My kids are hooked on this silly show called Hollywood Game Night, but Comcast on Demand doesn't have old episodes. (Bear with me here.) We googled and discovered that Hulu Plus has them so heck, free trial. I decided I might as well see what else they had, and you know where this is going now... Criterion!

That said, I haven't watched anything yet this month. Tons of Criterion titles on my shelves and available to stream, and this has traditionally been my worst challenge.
My month is due up on sunday, but I'm waiting on a free month of Hulu Plus to be approved on a survey for points site. So far I'm off to a stronger start this year than before, so hope to make a decent showing. It helps that I can watch Hulu on my TV this year, instead of using the computer.
Old 09-04-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess the reason I was touched, was I had never seen it done before.
Oh I wasn't directing anything at you. I watched it years ago and saw tons of comments on another site just praising it as something new and unique, which made no sense to me. It's decades late to the party.
Old 09-04-14, 04:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And this is a test...
Old 09-04-14, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

Excellent. The last two times I tried to post it wouldn't work after I had typed a bunch out. So I am planning on getting a twofer out of this challenge. I am tailoring my list as a master clas in film curated by Martin Scorsese. I'll be watching his Top Ten and for my LD choice it will be A personal Journey through American Movies with Martin Scorsese. I will be filling out some og my selections with movies that are discussed in that film. So far I've watched Ugetsu, Touki Bouki and fell asleep on the Leopard.

I was also quite suprised by Something Wild.
Old 09-04-14, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

I watched it when Criterion first released it. I had never seen it p until that point. However I had the image of Melanie Griffith on the cover burned into my brain from an young age. I remember it being in the Cinemax program guide that I use to obsess over as a kid.
Old 09-04-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by xizor42
Excellent. The last two times I tried to post it wouldn't work after I had typed a bunch out. So I am planning on getting a twofer out of this challenge. I am tailoring my list as a master clas in film curated by Martin Scorsese. I'll be watching his Top Ten and for my LD choice it will be A personal Journey through American Movies with Martin Scorsese. I will be filling out some og my selections with movies that are discussed in that film. So far I've watched Ugetsu, Touki Bouki and fell asleep on the Leopard.

I was also quite suprised by Something Wild.
Sounds like an excellent idea! In the past I tried to plan my watching around a larger theme, but I've realized that I usually just bumble my way through, picking and choosing as I go.

Yesterday evening, I must have consumed something bad or the wrong combination of things, cause my stomach started cramping like crazy. Thankfully, I had some sick leave to take today off. I nested on my couch with plenty of water and saltines and watched Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole. It's a spectacular film that holds up well, though I imagine today's Chuck Tatum would be hanging around a celebrity hotspot and waiting for Justin Bieber to punch someone or Ariana Grande to go out sans underwear.

Wilder's film imagines this world where almost everyone has at least one eye out for a convenient cash grab. Even the trapped man's praying mother makes sure that everyone going to see the spectacle of her son's rescue pays their two bits for the privilege. Spectators tote their wares and pass out business cards; corrupt politicians manipulate and/or are manhandled into shirking their duty. Only Tatum's cautious boss and the trapped man's bewildered father seem above the fray, and both are easily bypassed. It's a grim view of the world, and like the later film Network is applicable to our own times.
Old 09-04-14, 05:57 PM
Banned

going a little bit of topic with this question. but i heard there is a big criterion sale at their website every year. when does this happen?
Old 09-04-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
Curious..! Three different instructors? How many films do they show overall...?
Approximately 14 per semester, sans the weeks for the mid-term and final. I'll also end up watch The Graduate again for the umpteenth time. I also watched it around this time last year in class as well.
Old 09-04-14, 10:05 PM

Dug up two Hulu titles streaming for free with Prime on Amazon Instant Video - I have a list of about twenty qualifying titles which I'll try and put up later...
This is all I've been able to find. Only one I could see that's on CC DVD/Blu, a dozen-or-so from the Laserdisc side, and a couple of Hulu-only ones.

There may be more - please tell me if you find some!
  • Sabotage (Hitchcock)
  • Secret Agent (Hitchcock)
  • Young & Innocent (Hitchcock)
  • A Canterbury Tale (Powell & Pressburger)
  • House of Games (Mamet)
  • Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
  • Blade Runner
  • Annie Hall
  • This is Spinal Tap
  • Lady For a Day (Capra)
  • The Killing (Kubrick)
  • Trainspotting
  • In Which We Serve
  • Carrie
  • The Jungle Book (Korda)
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel (Harold Young)
  • The Divorce of Lady X (Tim Whelan)
  • Q Planes (Tim Whelan)
Old 09-04-14, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by popcorn
Approximately 14 per semester, sans the weeks for the mid-term and final. I'll also end up watch The Graduate again for the umpteenth time. I also watched it around this time last year in class as well.
Not bad selections by any means, but with all the films in existence, watching the same couple three years in a row seems... a shame.
Old 09-04-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not bad selections by any means, but with all the films in existence, watching the same couple three years in a row seems... a shame.
It's a Popular Culture in the 1960's class. So I understand why Strangelove would be included. Here's the complete lineup, in case you're interested:

One, Two, Three (1961), Dr. Strangelove (1964), The Birds (1963), The Intruder (1962), Point Blank (1967), Soldier Blue (1970), Planet of the Apes (1968), Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969), Rosemary’s Baby (1968), The Graduate (1967), Bonnie and Clyde (1967), Easy Rider (1969), The Strawberry Statement (1970), Monterey Pop (1967)

Should be a good semester. Wish some of those Criterions movies occurred this month!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.