Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How Many DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How Many DVDs?

Old 06-21-14, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How Many DVDs?

I now buy maybe 1 film a year, and am watching favorites I bought 10 years ago. Have maybe 300 films.

Been awhile since I've been on this forum, and am wondering how crazy some of you still are.
Old 06-21-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by MrVette99
I now buy maybe 1 film a year, and am watching favorites I bought 10 years ago. Have maybe 300 films.

Been awhile since I've been on this forum, and am wondering how crazy some of you still are.
Given all the Mill Creek 50-film sets I've been getting, I have more than 300 films on just one shelf alone out of half-a-dozen bookcases devoted to DVDs. I still have films I taped off TV 30 years ago that I haven't yet watched. So don't worry, we're much crazier than you.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-22-14 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-21-14, 12:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Given all the Mill Creek 50-film sets I've been getting, I have more than 300 films on just one shelf out of half-a-dozen bookcases devoted to DVDs. I still have films I taped off TV 30 years ago that I haven't yet watched. So don't worry, we're much crazier than you.
I'm afraid to count how many films or discs I own.
Old 06-21-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm afraid to count how many films or discs I own.
Same. Back when DVDSpot was still around, I was inching close to the top 5 largest collections listed on the site. I've slowed down some since then, but not a lot.
Old 06-21-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I've dropped down to maybe 1 or 2 per month.

I think the main thing is people are realizing there is simply isn't enough time to watch hundreds/thousands of movies on disc in addition to TV, Netflix, Video game etc or whatever entertainment options there are. Plus, disposable income for alot here isn't the same as in the past. I'd rather save money for a vacation or pay my bills than have 20-100 discs sitting on my shelf unwatched.

I just dumped about 70-80 discs/sets (BD, TV shows, DVD) from my collection recently that I know I would never touch.
Old 06-21-14, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I've dropped down to maybe 1 or 2 per month.

I think the main thing is people are realizing there is simply isn't enough time to watch hundreds/thousands of movies on disc in addition to TV, Netflix, Video game etc or whatever entertainment options there are. Plus, disposable income for alot here isn't the same as in the past. I'd rather save money for a vacation or pay my bills than have 20-100 discs sitting on my shelf unwatched.

I just dumped about 70-80 discs/sets (BD, TV shows, DVD) from my collection recently that I know I would never touch.
I bought into the Alias Series as it was nearing completion. It got to stupid for words and sold off the lot before I got 1/2 way thru it. Nearly the same with 24. How many times is it even remotely interesting to watch Jack Bauer just yell at someone to get them to confess operational details of the super top secret international terrorist plot. Honestly???

I can't remember back 4+ years, but there was some guy here that bought every version of a film. Really??? 3 or 4 nearly identical copies of the same film (theatrical release, extended release, directors cut, special edition, etc.).
Old 06-21-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MrVette99
I can't remember back 4+ years, but there was some guy here that bought every version of a film. Really??? 3 or 4 nearly identical copies of the same film (theatrical release, extended release, directors cut, special edition, etc.).
Sounds like xage, and his collection of Evil Dead and Saw discs.
Old 06-21-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

My database of what I own and have watched says 2030 movies. That does not include the ~410 TV season sets that I own and have watched. Add the ~700 unopened movies, ~350 unopened TV seasons and possibly include the 10-20 movies and 2-6 TV seasons I typically purchase in a month...

In spite of participating in most of the viewing challenges and pulling the majority of what I watch in those from my unopened piles they seem to grow faster than I pull things off. I haven't quite figured that one out...

If that's crazy then put me on the list...
Old 06-21-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

As many as the stars in the sky. Most sit unwatched these days, as I find it hard to watch theatrical content if it is not on Blu-ray or similar quality.
Old 06-21-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Far too many to count.
Old 06-21-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm closing in on 1000 (counting TV season sets individually). I've been in the 900's for several years now, though, so I've definitely slowed down considerably since my heyday about 12 years ago when I was adding DVD's at a rate of about 20-30 a month.
Old 06-21-14, 09:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I count TV seasons as 1: 802 DVDs/820 titles (according to DVD Profiler), counting everything: 1329 discs.

Last edited by kd5; 06-24-14 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-21-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I have just about 2000 dvd's and blu rays. About 700 blu's and 1300 dvds. But the blu's are catching up more and more. A lot of stuff I have isn't available on blu ray. Like a lot of Film Noir and old Gangster stuff. I'm updating my criterions VERY slowly. I started with the REALLY old criterion dvd's, which I've mostly upgraded to blu. But a lot of stuff I can't be bothered to upgrade. Like my Cassavetes 5 films set, my Fanny & Alexander deluxe edition box set and my Adventures of Antoine Doinel box set. The quality is so high on those and the sets are so nice, that I really have no desire to upgrade them at this point.

Plus I don't discriminate between blu's and dvd's, it really doesn't bother me if I have to watch something on dvd.
Old 06-21-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

According to Film Aficionado, I'm up to 4,205, which counts every package as one item. If you break it down further, I'm up to 5,348 titles and exactly 6,600 discs. About 400 of that first figure are Blu-rays.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now hell-bent to get rid of some of this crap.
Old 06-21-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

According to Aficionado I have 1200, which seems to be counting titles instead of discs.
Old 06-22-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 06-22-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My buying has significantly slowed down from what it was during my peak years of 2005-2008. I was in college from 2008-2010, so I didn't have a disposable income and buy the time I got a job, I think the collecting bug left me. I also joined Netflix in 2009, so that help with movies I just wanted to check out.

I've been collecting movies since the late 90s. First it was VHS (I think 1998 was when I actively began buying VHS tapes), then DVDs in late 2000. I think after collecting this stuff for over 15 years, I've reached a saturation point where I own most of what I want and don't feel a need to buy massive amounts of movies just to buy them. A couple years ago, I had over 870 titles in my collection. Now, I have around 750 and plan on dumping at least a dozen more titles I have no interest in revisiting.

Unlike comic books and video games, which I do like to reread/replay, I rarely feel like rewatching movies once I've seen them. Even in my early days, I rarely rewatched anything except for select anime, horror, and sci-fi movies. I think I had more fun discovering movies than actually collecting them. I loved going to Suncoast or FYE (anyone remember when it was called "The Wall"?) and just browsing the DVDs looking for something interesting to buy. It was pretty much the same feeling I would get when my brother and I would go to our local video store (which still exists, btw) on Fridays to look for horror movies to rent for the weekend.

Once I started to get rid of DVDs, I realized how easy it was and that I didn't need all those movies, most of which I watched once or maybe twice and had no desire to revisit. Having a near-constant backlog didn't help either. I got so sick of having a backlog of movies I either previously saw and kept skipping over or sat there for years until I had no desire to watch and dumped them. My backlog ended up becoming an annoyance and pain in the ass that I forced myself through, which I'm sure helped take a lot of the fun out of collecting. After I cleared my backlog up early last year, I began taking a more critical approach to buying movies. Usually, before I buy a movie, I ask myself if I would watch it again. I find the answer is overwhelmingly "no".
Old 06-22-14, 12:39 PM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
According to Film Aficionado, I'm up to 4,205, which counts every package as one item. If you break it down further, I'm up to 5,348 titles and exactly 6,600 discs. About 400 of that first figure are Blu-rays.

I read through some of that, but got a little sidetracked musing how apparent non-DVD-collectors wound up at DVDTalk...

I have too many DVDs, Blu-rays, probably books and comics, too. But I watch and read them as well as just collect them, so I rationalise it as normal enough. Probably in the 1000s.
Old 06-22-14, 12:46 PM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
Once I started to get rid of DVDs, I realized how easy it was and that I didn't need all those movies, most of which I watched once or maybe twice and had no desire to revisit... Usually, before I buy a movie, I ask myself if I would watch it again. I find the answer is overwhelmingly "no".
Am I the only person who doesn't think that..? Personally, and from multiple friends and family members I HAVE regretted getting rid of things. At least a dozen people have pointedly had to re-buy things they regretted getting rid of... and often paid more for what they considered an error...

I also re-watch at least as much as I watch for the first time (I suppose watching with a child helps with that!), and find many first-time watches are things I can definitely see myseld watching again..
Old 06-22-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a problem with duplicates in two categories: 1) either bought unwittingly, having forgotten that I'd already acquired it; or 2) having bought single volumes from TV series that I wound up buying as a complete box set later on. I have a pile of these duplicate DVDs/CDs in my foyer. I want to give them away or donate them to a library or collection, but I don't know who. The other option is to sell them back to Book Off, the used book/CD/DVD/game dealer where I actually bought most of them. But my big fear in doing that is: I might end up coming across them on the shelf on a visit to the store and buying them again! I'm thinking of photographing every cover in that pile and carrying the pix with me so I won't ever do that.
Old 06-22-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have a problem with duplicates in two categories: 1) either bought unwittingly, having forgotten that I'd already acquired it; or 2) having bought single volumes from TV series that I wound up buying as a complete box set later on. I have a pile of these duplicate DVDs/CDs in my foyer. I want to give them away or donate them to a library or collection, but I don't know who. The other option is to sell them back to Book Off, the used book/CD/DVD/game dealer where I actually bought most of them. But my big fear in doing that is: I might end up coming across them on the shelf on a visit to the store and buying them again! I'm thinking of photographing every cover in that pile and carrying the pix with me so I won't ever do that.
I use the Blu-ray.com app on my phone with my entire collection and that has helped me avoid duplicates. My suggestion will be to download that if you can...
Old 06-22-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Am I the only person who doesn't think that..? Personally, and from multiple friends and family members I HAVE regretted getting rid of things. At least a dozen people have pointedly had to re-buy things they regretted getting rid of... and often paid more for what they considered an error...

I also re-watch at least as much as I watch for the first time (I suppose watching with a child helps with that!), and find many first-time watches are things I can definitely see myseld watching again..
There are smart ways to thin the herd and dumb ways. Some people get too zealous in their haste to clear space and dump stuff they'll regret.
Old 06-22-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've bought exactly 1 dvd in the past 2 years. It was an OOP dvd from europe that was never available in the US. Speed Zone. I buy blu-rays very sparingly too, maybe 1 every other month now. Had to cut back a ton as we went to a cash only system.
Old 06-22-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went through four or five boxes of kung fu VHS tapes in my closet and there's so much good stuff in there that I never upgraded because they came from gray-market companies who simply transferred the VHS to DVD when they made DVD editions so there was no improvement in quality. And they're all things I haven't watched in years and now I want to watch again. As well as titles I never actually watched, such as Sammo Hung's PAINTED FACES. Time to watch some of them for the Historical Challenge. I may have to transfer all of these to a digital format before I get too old to lug the boxes down from the closet. I'd hate getting rid of the physical tapes, but I have this nightmare scenario where in 20 years or so my daughter will decide I can't take care of myself and put me in a nursing home and force me to get rid of them. This is what middle-aged single fathers in this position have to look forward to. Time to get back to those yoga sessions.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-22-14 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-22-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I read through some of that, but got a little sidetracked musing how apparent non-DVD-collectors wound up at DVDTalk...
I think you can be a movie buff or film collector and not have to own 100s of movies.

The only DVDs I've ever regretted selling off were my ADV sets of Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, but since Sailor Moon is being re-released starting later this year, I don't feel too bad about it.

When I dump movies, I'm not just pulling random movies out of my collection; they're typically movies I've been thinking about getting rid of for a while. Lots of them are blind buys I purchased years ago where I just wanted to check the movie out (which Netflix has helped me avoid) or they're movies I just fell out of love with.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.