Reload this Page >

7th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

7th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 07-27-14, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: 7th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Watched Sharknado last night and I couldn't really tell you why. I have no words for how ridiculous that movie is. Didn't they do a MST3K for this film? I bet that was hilarious. I can and I can't believe it's getting a sequel.
Old 07-27-14, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Watched Sharknado last night and I couldn't really tell you why. I have no words for how ridiculous that movie is. Didn't they do a MST3K for this film? I bet that was hilarious. I can and I can't believe it's getting a sequel.
Yes, they did a RiffTrax Live event with it on July 10th. Believe me, it was MUCH better given the MST3K treatment!
Old 07-27-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I won't be able to see that, but looking forward to finally seeing Man of Steel next week at Oshkosh.
...hope you enjoy(ed) it.
Old 07-27-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
...hope you enjoy(ed) it.
Thanks. It plays Thursday night, at the Fly In Theater on the grounds.
Old 07-27-14, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
My dad on Batman Forever: "Wow, that's some writing and acting. It had to win some Oscars."

I had forgotten just how bad this film is. It's a jumbled mess of ideas muddied by incomprehensible sets and wooden acting. Almost every choice is a bad one from the big ones (the plethora of bowing man statues in Gotham) to the small details (Robin's absolutely terrible earring). The charm and quirkiness of Tim Burton's films is completely gone, replaced by big budget camp (the worst kind of camp) and gaudiness. One of the film's biggest disappointments is the mishandling of Bruce Wayne. Val Kilmer's Bruce is devoid of any personality; his favorite pastime seems to be standing and staring at people as they ask him questions. Now I have to stomach Batman & Robin, but at least it will be out of my unwatched pile.
Ha! We're working our way through them, too.

Interestingly, while I mostly agree (and we're only 30m in) with your Forever comments - dire script, terrible (over-)acting, etc. - I suspect I disagree slightly with the assessment of the first two. Watching Batman and Returns for the first time in a while, I'm revising my opinion of both downwards quite a bit. Nevermind the repeated Batman-kills-people moments, and the tortured love interests* but...

Michael Keaton spends large parts of both films just sitting staring pensively at TV screens or out of windows!

Batman was less dark and Burton-y than I remembered; Returns was much more Burton-y. And neither was particularly Batman-y. Plus the suit made fighting look utterly ludicrous. Alfred was good, Nicholson and Pfeiffer were pretty good in character, but fairly useless as 'civilians'. Commissioner Gordon is very miscast, and I'm not sure why there was a need for Alexander Knox at all... he served no purpose other than to not let Vicki Vale be a reporter on her own... And Max Schrek is a stupid character.

Is there anything to be read into the large numbers of severe-injury/death-by-falling, I wonder? Joker into acid and Graysons from their trapeze are from the comics, but Catwoman (window, roof, umbrella), Joker (clock tower), Nigma's first victim, various goons and probably more that I'm forgetting: all injured/died by falling.

*How did they manage to make Kim Basinger, Nicole Kidman and Uma Thurman into boring love interests? There are only a handful of more attractive decent actresses they could have picked.
Old 07-27-14, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I actually enjoyed it a few months ago. Am I the only one!?
Old 07-27-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually enjoyed it a few months ago. Am I the only one!?
I enjoyed it too, but then, I'm a sucker for shark movies.
Old 07-27-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Feeling under the weather tonight, so I think I might take a break from the challenge and just watch what I want, and not worry about it counting for the challenge.
Old 07-27-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Watched "The Labyrinth" with my nieces tonight. It was their first time watching and both seemed to like it, though no raves. I have to say that tonight was the first time it seemed dated to me. The effects just were very rough. I'm not sure if it's because it's the first time I've watched it on a HD tv or not...kind of sad, though, as this was a favorite as a kid and it just didn't have the same hold on me tonight.
Old 07-28-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Watched "The Labyrinth" with my nieces tonight. It was their first time watching and both seemed to like it, though no raves. I have to say that tonight was the first time it seemed dated to me. The effects just were very rough. I'm not sure if it's because it's the first time I've watched it on a HD tv or not...kind of sad, though, as this was a favorite as a kid and it just didn't have the same hold on me tonight.
Interesting that you should mention "The Labyrinth", as just this morning I was thinking of that movie.
Old 07-28-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha! We're working our way through them, too.

Interestingly, while I mostly agree (and we're only 30m in) with your Forever comments - dire script, terrible (over-)acting, etc. - I suspect I disagree slightly with the assessment of the first two. Watching Batman and Returns for the first time in a while, I'm revising my opinion of both downwards quite a bit. Nevermind the repeated Batman-kills-people moments, and the tortured love interests* but...

Michael Keaton spends large parts of both films just sitting staring pensively at TV screens or out of windows!

Batman was less dark and Burton-y than I remembered; Returns was much more Burton-y. And neither was particularly Batman-y. Plus the suit made fighting look utterly ludicrous. Alfred was good, Nicholson and Pfeiffer were pretty good in character, but fairly useless as 'civilians'. Commissioner Gordon is very miscast, and I'm not sure why there was a need for Alexander Knox at all... he served no purpose other than to not let Vicki Vale be a reporter on her own... And Max Schrek is a stupid character.

Is there anything to be read into the large numbers of severe-injury/death-by-falling, I wonder? Joker into acid and Graysons from their trapeze are from the comics, but Catwoman (window, roof, umbrella), Joker (clock tower), Nigma's first victim, various goons and probably more that I'm forgetting: all injured/died by falling.

*How did they manage to make Kim Basinger, Nicole Kidman and Uma Thurman into boring love interests? There are only a handful of more attractive decent actresses they could have picked.
There's some theory out there that the non-Burton Batman films are Batman films made within the Burton universe and that's why they don't really fit in with the first two.
Old 07-28-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm leaving tomorrow for my vacation. Will be back Friday. Won't be completely stopping the challenge though, as I put Netflix on my IPod.
Old 07-28-14, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I worked on both my unopened pile *and* the checklist yesterday. A few quick thoughts:

X-Men: First Class (2011): Not bad and a fairly good "origin" type story. For a minute I thought I'd gotten the wrong disc as it starts exactly like 2000s X-Men. I thought it could have been better without the tie-in to actual history but they did it so... I'm not a Marvel comic reader so the origin of Magneto's helmet was interesting. I also liked the cameo scene where Logan rather colorfully tells them to "get lost" when they attempt to recruit him.

The Incredible Hulk (2008): Meh... I'm not much of a fan of the Hulk. To me he's rather one dimensional - "Hulk Smash!" I read that it is/was better than Ang Lee's Hulk (2003) but I've not seen that one to have a basis for comparison. After the setup sequences, which were rather good, it devolved into one long action sequence which quickly became tiring. I get it... "Hulk Smash" - how many times do we really need to see him destroy something? It also felt like it *needed* the origin told rather than just alluded to at times. From what I've read I think I may need to watch the Ang Lee version. It sounds like a film I might enjoy more.

Sphere (1998): I've not seen this one in several years, and for pretty good reason. I got it as part of a 4 film set ($5 at BL so...) with Lost In Space (1998), Red Planet (2000), and Contact (1997). This is a rather poor version/interpretation of "Solaris", by Stanislaw Lem. It also suffers by being written by Michael Crichton, a writer of novels and films who I feel writes about as generic as you can get. The kind of stuff people who *think* they like SF read. To me all his material reads and feels pretty much the same - like the pulp fiction where you change the names and locations and *bam* you have a new book/story. There *was* some potential in the film but it was squandered. I enjoy Lost In Space more than this one and that's saying a lot.

Lost in Space (1998): Yeah... I wasted time on this one too. Like Sphere it's been years since I've seen it and, like Sphere, it's for good reason. It's just not that good. It tries very hard but just falls flat. I'd rather watch the Giant Carrot Man (aka "Great Vegetable Rebellion") episode from S3 of the TV series.

So... I keep asking myself "Why *did* you purchase that 4 film set?" because I'm not truly a fan of any of the films it contains. It really comes down to the simple fact that it was 4 SF films for a low price and I'd watch them again for that price. My favorite of the 4 is Contact, but is "wins" simply by being better than the other 3 films. In spite of the pedigree I didn't much care for Contact when I first saw it, but part of that is due to Jodie Foster, a actor I've never much cared for. That could change as the next viewing will be the first time I've seen the film since it came out. That viewing should be sometime in the next couple of days.
Old 07-28-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I read that it is/was better than Ang Lee's Hulk (2003)
I didn't like that one but I did win a third place prize in the Sunny D contest for that movie. A contest for Hulk had a third place prize of an action/adventure DVD
Spoiler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beethoven_%28film%29
. I could have thought of a better DVD for a Hulk movie contest.
Old 07-29-14, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I actually enjoyed [Sharknado] a few months ago. Am I the only one!?
I saw it earlier this month and thought it was hilarious. The commentary track with the director and a few cast members was pretty good too.
Old 07-29-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I just picked up Noah today, so I'm going to crack it open tonight. Safeway has an odd tactic of bundling new releases with free treats, so I also have some Hawaiian Punch, Oreos, and Wheat Chex to munch on.
Old 07-29-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently purchased a copy of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Cut which arrived yesterday. I had to watch it last night...

I enjoyed the film, again, but couldn't tell you just what was added as it's been too long since I saw the theatrical cut. One thing that *did* stand out was just how much of the CGI looks like a video game - especially the opening segment. It just doesn't look as well done and polished as in LOTR. I also got distracted at just how much of the film has a amber glow - as if it was filmed (er.... videoed) at sunrise and/or sunset. It, too, seemed to add to the "fake" look of many scenes. I kept thinking how much better the LOTR films look in comparison. Still... I enjoyed the story and am looking forward to eventually watching The Desolation of Smaug (once the price drops to ~$5).
Old 07-29-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched "Alien" today to finish up the director part of the checklist. Not a favorite, but I'm not a fan of that kind of movie anyway. I also watched "Zokkomon" an Indian film that is being distributed by Disney. It's not as good as "Once Upon a Warrior" but a fun watch. I love the dance numbers and the colors. The story faltered a little, it was pretty well done already, (basically an orphan is brought into his uncle's house where they don't want him and get rid of him. Orphan comes out on top in the end) but I'd say a pretty accessible film for someone wanting to introduce Bollywood type films to kids or people afraid of foreign films.

I also watched "Star Trek: Generations" with Travis (who I don't think is doing the challenge this month unfortunately) for the first time in a long while. I enjoyed it, but there are definitely a few plot holes
Spoiler:
why didn't Picard and Kirk come back several minutes earlier or even before Soren is off the Enterprise in the first place?
but I like the combining of the two eras of Trek and the "hand off" from TOS to TNG.

Still want to watch "Pacific Rim" in the next couple days, but I've been focusing on finishing off the checklist as much as I can. Just need one more sub-genre and then I think I can watch it.
Old 07-29-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wanted to watch Pacific Rim again this month, but I guess it wasn't in the cards, as I won't be back from vacation till the first and only have Netflix to choose from while I'm gone.
Old 07-29-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I recently purchased a copy of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Cut which arrived yesterday. I had to watch it last night...

I enjoyed the film, again, but couldn't tell you just what was added as it's been too long since I saw the theatrical cut. One thing that *did* stand out was just how much of the CGI looks like a video game - especially the opening segment. It just doesn't look as well done and polished as in LOTR. I also got distracted at just how much of the film has a amber glow - as if it was filmed (er.... videoed) at sunrise and/or sunset. It, too, seemed to add to the "fake" look of many scenes. I kept thinking how much better the LOTR films look in comparison. Still... I enjoyed the story and am looking forward to eventually watching The Desolation of Smaug (once the price drops to ~$5).
Same reaction to the extended cut--it had been too long, and I admit I wasn't paying full attention either. I was a big fan of the LOTR extensions and I'd heard reports that these weren't as significant so I guess I wasn't expecting much.
Old 07-29-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I wanted to watch Pacific Rim again this month, but I guess it wasn't in the cards, as I won't be back from vacation till the first and only have Netflix to choose from while I'm gone.
Well, you could always watch it when you get back. It won't count, but you could still watch it!

Hope you have fun at the air show!
Old 07-29-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, you could always watch it when you get back. It won't count, but you could still watch it!

Good point. And thanks.
Old 07-29-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grr. Watching "Wolverine" right now and it has something that is one of my biggest pet peeves. I'd say about a quarter of the movie is in Japanese. No biggie, there's subtitles. Except when there is not. I'm sure most of it is swearing or exclamations (no! stop! come here!) but it drives me nuts when they don't translate them. What, they couldn't spare the money to finish the translations? Really? It'd break the budget, ruin their time line or something? I just don't understand!
Old 07-30-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wouldn't the cgi robot thing count as animation? I haven't seen it, I'm just basing it off the cover.

Speaking of Pacific Rim, the mega set is a deal of the day at Amazon today, along with Predator, and the 2 disc blu-ray set is only $9.99 there and also at Best Buy.
Old 07-30-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^You know... I could have waited on The Hobbit and watched it for the Animation Challenge because of all the CGI. Oh well...

If you're not up for the custom case, 3D, and BR versions Amazon has the 2 disc DVD for ~$8. I think the price will go lower by Christmas and am waiting for that - just like for ...Smaug....

Last night I watched Siegfried, the first film of Lang's Die Nibelungen. It was pretty good but because I'd watched Dragon Kingdom: The Dragon King it was very familiar and also interesting to see just how much of the legend was kept for Dragon Kingdom, a film I watched earlier this month. I was surprised to find they'd kept quite a bit, at least compared to Siegfried. A odd side-effect was I noticed some events in Siegfried I'd either missed or were not present/made as obvious in Dragon Kingdom that explained a few significant occurrences. Lang used some very impressive sets!

My grandson came in during the film and asked why people spoke on camera if it's a silent film. It never occurred to me that they *wouldn't* since it makes it more natural. I need to find a shorter silent film to watch with him and see if he's ready for them.

I'm going to try and watch Kriemhild's Revenge tonight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.