Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Old 04-22-14, 09:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I'm thinking movies that have been rated less than 5000 times on IMDB. An Overlooked Challenge of sorts. I've got a little over 300 movies on my Watchlist that qualify, which should give me some good variety.
Old 04-22-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Maybe a FIFO challenge (First In First Out) Where I go back over my spending tab and watch all the movies that for whatever reason I have been avoiding for years?
Old 04-22-14, 11:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been going back and forth between doing a musical challenge or doing a sports challenge again like I did last year. Think I'm leaning more for sports challenge again except instead of focusing on baseball movies this year, maybe football? Also of course counting all the Giants baseball games I watch.
Old 04-23-14, 12:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This will be my first Make your own challenge and I'm all over the place which what I want to do. I was considering maybe a "shows I never got to watch" challenge as I have plenty of those on my list on Netflix....
Old 04-23-14, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm in. Not sure what my challenge will be this year. Someone mentioned doing a icheckmovies one, from one of their lists, and I might do that. But I have so many unwatched things in my collection, I should pick something that helps with that. Maybe a combined one? I'll have to think about it.
Old 04-23-14, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I'm thinking movies that have been rated less than 5000 times on IMDB. An Overlooked Challenge of sorts. I've got a little over 300 movies on my Watchlist that qualify, which should give me some good variety.
Do you mean movies with less than 5000 votes? There are millions of those on IMDB. Why not narrow your parameters to movies with less than 100 or 50 votes? I've reviewed nearly 600 movies on IMDB and all but a handful have less than 200 votes and a good portion of those have less than 100 votes. Some have less than ten votes.
Old 04-23-14, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Do you mean movies with less than 5000 votes? There are millions of those on IMDB. Why not narrow your parameters to movies with less than 100 or 50 votes? I've reviewed nearly 600 movies on IMDB and all but a handful have less than 200 votes and a good portion of those have less than 100 votes. Some have less than ten votes.
Under 1000 leaves me with less than 60 movies, a majority of which I wouldn't be able to find in time. Granted, there are a ton more that aren't on my Watchlist, but with almost 2000 total on there that I know I want to see, I don't want to watch other things just because they meet the criteria. Maybe someday when I get my Watchlist to a more reasonable number.

What I may do is sort the list by least amount of ratings to most, so that I make a dent in the lower ones first and only get to the ones with 2000-5000 towards the end when I can't find any of the others. This way I'm still working off my list, but also getting to watch some really obscure titles.
Old 04-23-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by konekonoir
First time playing.
Originally Posted by JennandTheCats
This will be my first Make your own challenge and I'm all over the place which what I want to do.
More first-timers! Welcome aboard.

I'll start the list thread sometime this weekend. That should give early-starters (April 30 @ dusk) time to claim a spot. You still have a week to decide on your challenge theme(s), so don't feel rushed.
Old 04-23-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
More first-timers! Welcome aboard.

I'll start the list thread sometime this weekend. That should give early-starters (April 30 @ dusk) time to claim a spot. You still have a week to decide on your challenge theme(s), so don't feel rushed.
Can't wait. There's tons of documentaries and both archived and live sporting events on Roku. This was just about the best $100 I spent in a long time.

A big welcome to the first timers too.
Old 04-23-14, 02:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I'm going to go with Japanese TV shows and movies. Of the ideas I was thinking about, this one has the most unwatched titles waiting for me. Also, I really enjoyed mixing up movies and TV shows during the Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery challenge. I'm even thinking of of including a checklist of sorts by trying to watch at least one thing that would fit into each one of the other challenges. This was inspired by the All Challenges Challenge some folks did last year. It won't be hard to do but I think it might make me watch a wider variety of material than I might otherwise.

Of course I have a whole week to change my mind and I reserve the right to do so!
Old 04-23-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Under 1000 leaves me with less than 60 movies, a majority of which I wouldn't be able to find in time. Granted, there are a ton more that aren't on my Watchlist, but with almost 2000 total on there that I know I want to see, I don't want to watch other things just because they meet the criteria. Maybe someday when I get my Watchlist to a more reasonable number.

What I may do is sort the list by least amount of ratings to most, so that I make a dent in the lower ones first and only get to the ones with 2000-5000 towards the end when I can't find any of the others. This way I'm still working off my list, but also getting to watch some really obscure titles.
Oh, I get it, you're looking at the movies on your Watchlist, not just any random movies with under X number of votes. Now it makes sense. I misunderstood. Sorry.
Old 04-23-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Okay, I think I've figured out my theme for the month. The first time I participated in this challenge, I primarily focused on a behind-the-scenes part of the film (films adapted from print sources). The second time I watched movies from a list (Ebert's Great Movies). This time I wanted to get a bit creative, so I decided to look at specific plot tropes. Here's what I've come up with:

Title: "The Helen Lovejoy Challenge"

Rules:
1. Watch films/television shows featuring children/teenagers as protagonists or prominent minor characters
--- Ex. The Goonies (protagonists) ; Jurassic Park (minor characters)
2. Watch films/television shows featuring gossip or gossipers as a main plot point
--- Ex. Gossip Girl ; The Women
3. Watch films/television shows featuring religious women
--- Ex. Vicar of Dibley ; Doubt
4. BONUS: Watch episodes of The Simpsons in which Helen Lovejoy speaks
Old 04-23-14, 09:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I am definitely going to participate for the first time. At first, I was thinking of just making it a Gatchaman challenge since I have had that new blu-ray set of 105 episodes sitting around unopened since it came out six months ago. Sure, I could save that for the animation challenge, but I usually prefer to watch more varied series than just one really long series for that sort of thing. Getting myself to watch 105 episodes of one show in one month would be a major challenge for me, but seeing some of the creative ideas in the thread has me trying to think of something else. We'll see I guess.
Old 04-24-14, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been collecting Rock Tour Concert / Music Video Collections. It will be fun to go through a lot of rock concerts in May.
Old 04-24-14, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm doing a National Film Registry Challenge. There have been 25 inductees per year since 1989. Plan to watch something from each year of the registry and to see lots of variety. There are many classics and obscure films on the list and I want to use this to expose myself to many new films and to revisit some favorites (probably with commentary tracks in some cases). This is my first time participating in this challenge and I'm getting things ready and very excited. Probably going to cross over directly from the drive-in challenge with a couple of films that are on the registry and fit the bill (eg. Enter the Dragon and Forbidden Planet)

Official Site and lists from the Registry: http://www.loc.gov/film/filmnfr.html

Checklist I'm working on:
Checklist for National Film Registry May Challenge
1989 inductee-
1990 inductee-
1991 inductee-
(continuing through 2013)

Appears on Film Site's "100 Greatest Films" List
Academy Award Winner *Best Picture, Best Documentary (Feature or Short Subject), or Best Short (Live Action or Animated)
Animated Film
Cannes Film Festival
*Official Competition Film
*Out of Competition Film or Un Certain Regard Film
Commentary Track
Criterion Collection – spine #
Crossover with April Drive-In B Movie Exploitation Challenge (May 1st only)
Documentary Feature
Documentary Short
Short Film *Any
Film other than narrative or documentary (promotional, experimental, propaganda, music video, etc.)
National Board of Review Winner
Turner Classic Movies (*something viewed from TCM)

Last edited by indiephantom; 04-24-14 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-24-14, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Probably going to cross over directly from the drive-in challenge with a couple of films that are on the registry and fit the bill (eg. Enter the Dragon and Forbidden Planet)

Official Site and lists from the Registry: http://www.loc.gov/film/filmnfr.html
Not sure, but I don't think Forbidden Planet fits the Drive In Challenge. I seem to remember in a past challenge Caligula mentioned that one as being one of the exceptions to 50s sci fi that counted due to being to big budget.
Old 04-24-14, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Not sure, but I don't think Forbidden Planet fits the Drive In Challenge. I seem to remember in a past challenge Caligula mentioned that one as being one of the exceptions to 50s sci fi that counted due to being to big budget.
Well, that was just a quick example. There are lots of qualifiers on the Registry...trade it up for Shaft, El Mariachi, Detour or Jailhouse Rock (Elvis counts!)
Old 04-24-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Indiephantom should stick with PLAN NINE.

I was at a movie memorabilia show once where the two guests of honor were Anne Francis from FORBIDDEN PLANET and Conrad Brooks from PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE. There they were in the center of the room, a star of the biggest-budgeted sci-fi film of 1956 and a supporting player from the lowest-budgeted sci-fi film of 1956 (although it didn't actually get distribution until much later). How the mighty had fallen and the lowly had risen until they occupied equal status at this show.

Surprisingly, no one on the show's staff had bothered to introduce the two guests to each other. There they sat with their backs to each other, sitting at tables and signing photos for fans, one with an assistant (guess who?) and one without. (Francis had the longer line, I daresay.) Brooks kept turning around waiting for an opportunity, and finally Francis turned around to retrieve some stills from a file box when Brooks reached over and stuck out his hand to introduce himself to her and the deed was done.
Old 04-24-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I am changing things up this year... I usually do the clean my harddrive challenge to erase all the movies I downloaded for other challenges... this year I am doing a 1st Annual Proffesional wrestling challenge... only problem is(and it isn't a bad problem to have) is I'll be on a cruise from May 25th to Jun 1st.

My Goal... 3 hours a day of wrestling for the first 24 days of May... 72 hours of wrestling... any more is a bonus...

Checklist incoming, incase anyone else wants to do this as well...
Old 04-24-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wrestling Checklist... more to be added

Spoiler:
Watch a match from the following decades:
1950's
1960's
1970's
1980's
1990's
2000's
2010's

Watch a Match from the following:
WWF/E
WCW
NWA
ECW
AWA
Japan
Mexico
Canada
England

A World Title Change
A US/Intercontinental Change Hands
A TV/European Change Hands
A Tag Title Change Hands
A Steel Cage
A Battle Royal/Royal Rumble
A 3 on 3
A 4 on 4
A PPV
A Loser Leaves Town Match
A Scaffold Match
A Strap Match
A Ladder Match
Watch a Non Wrestling Program featuring wrestlers
Watch a movie starring a wrestler
Watch a Shoot Interview

Spot 10 Bad Gimmicks(Guys who had a terrible gimmick, and changed it to become big stars)

Spot 20 Dead Wrestlers

Participate in a Wrestling Match
Attend a Live Event
Old 04-24-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I am changing things up this year... I usually do the clean my harddrive challenge to erase all the movies I downloaded for other challenges... this year I am doing a 1st Annual Proffesional wrestling challenge... only problem is(and it isn't a bad problem to have) is I'll be on a cruise from May 25th to Jun 1st.

My Goal... 3 hours a day of wrestling for the first 24 days of May... 72 hours of wrestling... any more is a bonus...

Checklist incoming, incase anyone else wants to do this as well...
If you can spare $10 a month, there is always the WWE Network, which has tons of archived matches and PPV events, plus live shows. You can watch it on PC or on streaming tv boxes, or at least on Roku, if you have one.
Old 04-24-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Wrestling Checklist... more to be added
Looks good, though the "spot 20 dead wrestlers" made me a little sad. Poor dead wrestlers.

I hadn't thought to make up a checklist. I may have to work one up! I'm a big fan of the challenge checklists (though I rarely finish them).
Old 04-24-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Looks good, though the "spot 20 dead wrestlers" made me a little sad. Poor dead wrestlers.

I hadn't thought to make up a checklist. I may have to work one up! I'm a big fan of the challenge checklists (though I rarely finish them).
This year's WrestleMania had the first Annual Andre the Giant Memorial Trophy given away at a Battle Royale.
Old 04-24-14, 03:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in, just have NO idea what to do.
Old 04-25-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can spare $10 a month, there is always the WWE Network, which has tons of archived matches and PPV events, plus live shows. You can watch it on PC or on streaming tv boxes, or at least on Roku, if you have one.
I signed up day one but thanks for the look anyway,

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.