Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 02:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Just finished the first one. The Hot Nights Of Linda:1975 which had Franco in fine form. The nudity is a little toned down compared to his How To Seduce A Virgin(Plaisir a Trois:1974). If you get Severin Films copy it has the hardcore version included which has Lina Romay doing something different with the banana compared with the softcore version. Now for number two Junk Films:2012
Old 04-01-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
Death Force was a straight up action movie at least. It was a ton of fun, if a bit on the long side for this type of movie at 1 hour 50 minutes.
I watched that one on the very first challenge here. It ended up being one of my most favorite first-time viewings. Did you spot all the Kill Bill connections?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Years later, after I got a color TV I began checking out Elvis movies on TV and found that I really enjoyed them, esp. things like FOLLOW THAT DREAM, KID GALAHAD, ROUSTABOUT, VIVA LAS VEGAS, and my favorite of all, FLAMING STAR.
Roustabout is actually my most favorite for these reasons alone: Biker Elvis, Barbara Stanwyck, Carnival setting, minimal songs and Elvis' love interest is played by the soon-to-be mother of Tommy Jarvis (Corey Feldman) in Friday The 13th-Final Chapter! Good points about Change of Habit too and Flaming Star is also in my top 5.
I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze in an optional Elvis flick this year. I'll have to see if I can get the rest of the checklist done earlier than usual.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I started with the Something Weird Extra Weird DVD that I got free from Borders back in '02 (before they recalled it, due to complaints about nudity or whatever) that I'd never bothered to watch. I thought it was a trailer compilation DVD and figured that I'd seen all the trailers before, but it turned out to be a mix of trailers and clips from 90 Something Weird DVDs. It was over 3½ hours long, so I could've watched three movies instead.
I bought that from Tower Records around the same time. I had my niece with me when I bought it and she was intrigued by the monsters on the cover. Luckily, I gave it a look beforehand. Otherwise she probably would've been a bit traumatized if she saw that trailer for Amazing Transplant!
Old 04-01-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So far my first 2 viewings have been totally average and unremarkable examples of their genre with White Cannibal Queen and Cjamango.
Old 04-01-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
So far my first 2 viewings have been totally average and unremarkable examples of their genre with White Cannibal Queen and Cjamango.
Are the reviews gonna be included in your blog this year?
Old 04-01-14, 04:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I watched that one on the very first challenge here. It ended up being one of my most favorite first-time viewings. Did you spot all the Kill Bill connections?
Yeah, I noticed a lot of the influences on Kill Bill. For whatever reason, I had never actually heard of this one, so it was a really pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, the second half of the the double feature was pretty mediocre. The only highlight was the Vampire Hookers theme song at the end. It didn't even end up being particularly trashy with one long sex scene that repeated the same footage on a loop as one of the hapless protagonists is sexed up by three vampire ladies.
Old 04-01-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to see some love for Elvis films. Unfortunately, none of his films are available for streaming on Netflix or Amazon. I may need to hit up my aunt to borrow part of her DVD collection.

After some Elvis, I popped in a film from my new film noir collection: City of Fear (1959). The setup is completely awesome: an escaped prisoner mistakes a canister of cobalt-60 for heroin and could poison half of the city. Unfortunately, the film spends a lot of time establishing how terrible this situation could potentially become and not enough time on radioactive antics. Still, I absolutely love the concept! It would be awesome if Quentin Tarantino remade this with his zany pastiche.
Old 04-01-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I bought that from Tower Records around the same time. I had my niece with me when I bought it and she was intrigued by the monsters on the cover. Luckily, I gave it a look beforehand. Otherwise she probably would've been a bit traumatized if she saw that trailer for Amazing Transplant!
That was the first trailer on the disc (Adult Version of Jekyll & Hyde was a clip) so it wouldn't have taken long.

I was watching it and wasn't keeping count, but I saw they were going in alphabetical order, so when I saw Wham! Bam! Thank You, Spaceman, I figured it had to be just about over... then up pops Asylum of Satan. Sure, go through the alphabet a second time. What's another hour?
Old 04-01-14, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

#2 watched was Junk Films:2012. This was a very boring shockumentary. You're better off with Traces of Death or Faces Of Gore. The director also did Orozco The Embalmer:2001 which was a good movie so I thought this would be way better but nothing new here.
Old 04-01-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Logan's Run acceptable? I have been itching to watch the blu since I have the big 30 coming up this year.
Old 04-01-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
Vampire Hookers
Didn't that one guy look like Mitt Romney?!?!
Old 04-01-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I bought my first one last winter (Vixens of Kung Fu/Oriental Blue) Did not expect the films to be fully xxx! I thought they were gonna be edited like After Hours stuff.
No idea what to expect, but ordered my first one back in February (The Jekyll and Hyde Portfolio/A Clock Work Blue) that's due to arrive anytime:

And that's only because it was hand numbered, on Blu-ray and limited to 1,000, which I'm guessing is why 99% of everyone else did. Something tells me I'm gonna regret shelling out $25, or at the very least should've held off on the DVD coming out next week.
Old 04-01-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Logan's Run? To be honest, it doesn't strike me as in the spirit. It's a fairly big budget for the time MGM film released in 70mm. Nothing seems exploitative or cheap. Anything I'm missing? I'm easily convinced. The line is subtle. I'd accept something like Zardoz, since it's in the Cult Movies by Danny Peary (but even that book has some questionable films).
Old 04-01-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just finished a movie that I hadn't seen in a long time, The Incredibly Strange Creatures That Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies, try saying that three times fast. . I know it's a bad movie, but I've always enjoyed it. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, as I actually saw it as a kid, when my dad bought the video of it, and showed it to me.
Old 04-01-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Found a nice little gem on Netflix... A force of One.. stars Chuck Norris, directes by Keanu Reeves stepfather, one bad guy played by Superfly and one by the guy who found John Belushis body... I think this challenge was made for this movie.
Old 04-01-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the reviews gonna be included in your blog this year?
I wasn't going to do reviews on the blog since I'm kind of swamped with discs to review but the more I think of it the more it doesn't feel right not including the blog. I'll post a link in the discussion thread whenever I post a review. Thanks for asking, just that already has me feeling more excited to write the daily viewings up.
Old 04-01-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks for taking time for doing so!

Originally Posted by Chad
No idea what to expect, but ordered my first one back in February (The Jekyll and Hyde Portfolio/A Clock Work Blue) that's due to arrive anytime:

And that's only because it was hand numbered, on Blu-ray and limited to 1,000, which I'm guessing is why 99% of everyone else did. Something tells me I'm gonna regret shelling out $25, or at the very least should've held off on the DVD coming out next week.
Not sure about Jekyll/Hyde, but I've seen the trailer for Clockwork Blue and it appeared to be softcore.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Sure, go through the alphabet a second time. What's another hour?

BTW, prior to first seeing that disc, I never knew that trailers were allowed to show full-frontal nudity...Let alone, dropping F-bombs (Please Don't Eat My Mother succeeds with both!)
Old 04-01-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
*Sighs* I hate when people don't understand why you don't do Challenges. Been chatting with a friend on yahoo messenger, and he told me, "I think you should forget the challenges and just watch what you want." He just doesn't understand the camaraderie that comes along with doing these, and that it's not just watching and listing. Besides, you don't have to go all out and watch nothing but Challenge content all month long, you can watch other stuff too. Like right now I'm watching a baseball game on MLB.TV on Roku.
You need to tell him you *DO* watch what you want but the challenges help you to focus a bit. At least that's the way it works for me. Plus, like you said you can always watch anything else you want and still participate. I've talked about them so much at work people now ask me *which* challenge I'm doing every few weeks. There are a couple of casual film buffs so it gives us a chance to talk about films *they've* seen that I've never seen and, on occasion, never heard of.
Old 04-01-14, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was growing up my friends and I avoided Elvis movies because we thought they were for girls. I didn't know anyone who went to see Elvis movies back then, not even my sisters.
We avoided them because it was *Elvis*. Like you, I didn't know anyone who *claimed* to like them although I think a few were closet Elvis film lovers.

In spite of that I *do* have a vague memory of seeing a Elvis film at a drive-in. Keep in mind that the 2 we'd have gone to played double-features on Friday & Saturday nights so it's quite possible a Elvis film played back-to-back with a "B" SF or Horror film. One to make the "date" happy and the other to get her a bit closer.

Years later, after I got a color TV I began checking out Elvis movies on TV and found that I really enjoyed them...
I like them far better now than when I was a kid and they first played. A lot of that is nostalgia but I've found a few are quite "fun" little films. I tend to prefer Girl Happy, Spinout, and Clambake because they also have Shelley Fabares who I had a crush on as a kid after seeing her on The Donna Reed Show.
Old 04-01-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just finished a movie that I hadn't seen in a long time, The Incredibly Strange Creatures That Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies, try saying that three times fast. . I know it's a bad movie, but I've always enjoyed it. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, as I actually saw it as a kid, when my dad bought the video of it, and showed it to me.
I purchased a copy of that one a few weeks back! Partly because of the title and partly because of mentions in several challenges (I think...). The reviews I read prior to purchasing the film were sooooo good I decided I needed to get a copy and see for myself.
Old 04-01-14, 07:59 PM
Cool New Member

#3 watched was Porkchop 2: Rise Of The Rind :2012. This was mediocre camp schlock with a pig masked killer chasing naked women. Things could probably be worse.
Old 04-01-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I purchased a copy of that one a few weeks back! Partly because of the title and partly because of mentions in several challenges (I think...). The reviews I read prior to purchasing the film were sooooo good I decided I needed to get a copy and see for myself.
I was curious and looked it up on youtube, and lo and behold, it was there.
Old 04-01-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You need to tell him you *DO* watch what you want but the challenges help you to focus a bit. At least that's the way it works for me. Plus, like you said you can always watch anything else you want and still participate. I've talked about them so much at work people now ask me *which* challenge I'm doing every few weeks. There are a couple of casual film buffs so it gives us a chance to talk about films *they've* seen that I've never seen and, on occasion, never heard of.
That's almost exactly what I told him. . I don't think he understood though, as he never replied.
Old 04-01-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

BTW, prior to first seeing that disc, I never knew that trailers were allowed to show full-frontal nudity...Let alone, dropping F-bombs (Please Don't Eat My Mother succeeds with both!)
I saw the "this trailer is approved for all audiences" notice once, and at least one that said "this trailer is approved for restricted audiences," but I figure most of those trailers only played in places that showed those kind of flicks anyway, so they just showed whatever they wanted to. (I also remember Mike Vraney saying in a couple of commentaries that he couldn't believe that Please Don't Eat My Mother got an R rating instead of X, so that might have something to do with it.)

I just remembered something that bothered me last night: I'd like to know why they included a clip from Trader Hornee instead of the funny, better-than-the-movie trailer.

NSFW:
SWV clip:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DIToA1dDwGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailer:
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x63ymj" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Trader Hornee by rstvideo

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-01-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started last night with The Incredible Petrified World with John Carradine and directed by Jerry Warren (and another reason I sort of campaigned to get Warren on the Director Safe List) from one of those "100 Sci-Fi Movies" sets. It was pretty awful, but doable. I followed that with At Midnight I Will Take Your Soul and, oh man, was that thing depressing! I made up for it this morning, however by finally watching Hell Comes to Frogtown and liked that a lot. I knew I'd enjoy Roddy Piper's performance, but Sandahl Bergman was surprisingly fun in it as well. Did I read that commemtaries count as separate viewings as well? If so, I'll probably catch the commentary on this too.

I'm at work right now, so I don't know if I'll get in another movie tonight or not. (Plus Rifftrax is doing a three hour special on the National Geographic Channel that I need to watch when i get home!)
Old 04-01-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

One down, two to go is on netflix... can knock out 5 safe actors in 1 movie

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.