Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 08:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Originally Posted by shadokitty
We're good to go now, someone asked the question earlier if it was a dusk starting time, and it was stated that it was.
Whoops! Thanks shadokitty. Would you believe I actually skimmed to see if it was addressed and missed that post? I will blame my tablet.

I am going to follow desnoes' lead and start with Riki-Oh which is in my disc backlog.
Old 03-31-14, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im in most likely wont hit 100 so my goal is 50
Old 03-31-14, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay Ricky-Oh was a great place to start and get warmed up for this challenge.

Is there anything Ricky can't punch through?
Old 03-31-14, 09:31 PM
Banned

My number 2 film (if I can stay awake) looks like Miami Connection
Old 03-31-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

My 2nd and last film for the night was Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. from Mill Creeks Sci Fi Classics 50 movie set. Now for some Baseball. Yay opening day.
Old 03-31-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

The Supergrass is such a weird movie. It is one of the VHS tapes I am getting rid of this year... maybe. Appears to have never come out on DVD so I am not sure...
Old 03-31-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, feel free to start.
Old 03-31-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by desnoes
Okay starting with Story of Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.

I've never seen it and it's on netflix streaming. I'm 5 minutes in and the music is already epic.
You picked an amazing film to start with.
Old 03-31-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just watched Gravity (not for the challenge obviously) and I'm annoyed at it so I planned on going to bed but I think I'll start the challenge with a viewing tonight instead of tomorrow.
Old 03-31-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Wow, this one really snuck up on me this year.

Wait, it's already started? Shit. Gotta find something to watch!

Aiming for 100, BTW...
Old 03-31-14, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SethDLH
You picked an amazing film to start with.
I had no idea it would be such a good pick. It is definitely a perfect starting point. I can't believe I had never seen it. Wow....the screams in the rain, the bad subtitle translation, the campy gore, the costume design, the magical final scenes. Simply inspiring.
Old 04-01-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Netflix forced my hand, and I ended up started off with Elvis Presley's Blue Hawaii which expires today. I haven't seen an Elvis vehicle since I was a preteen, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. In hindsight, I should have expected exactly what was delivered: a flimsy "idiot plot" upon which to hang lots of musical numbers. Acting wasn't the King's forte, and things liven up with he sings or Angela Lansbury starts hamming it up as his overbearing mother (in full Southern Belle mode).

In a few scenes, Howard McNear (Floyd the Barber from The Andy Griffith Show) shows up as a travel agent who hires Presley as a tour guide for a group of teenaged girls. While taking the girls and their attractive teacher/chaperone to a luau, they come across a crass Oklahoman couple who instigate a brawl which provides a lot of plot developments (included all of the teenaged girls hiding in Elvis's hotel room) in the second half of the film. Yes, this is all just as silly as it sounds!
Old 04-01-14, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Netflix forced my hand, and I ended up started off with Elvis Presley's Blue Hawaii which expires today. I haven't seen an Elvis vehicle since I was a preteen, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. In hindsight, I should have expected exactly what was delivered: a flimsy "idiot plot" upon which to hang lots of musical numbers. Acting wasn't the King's forte, and things liven up with he sings...
You pretty much described all Elvis films. Many of my generation came to regard Elvis as almost a joke because of all those films.

The Elvis and "Beach" pictures ran almost constantly on local TV when I was a kid. Since one or the other came out about every 6 months to the theater there was a seemingly endless stream of them and they'd show up on TV here within 6 months of the theatrical debut. Other than being "star struck" with Elvis, Annette, Frankie, and/or others I never understood why people kept going to the theater for them.

Anyway... they are such a fixture of my youth that I now own copies of most of them simply out of nostalgia. I'd been looking over the unwatched piles for stuff to watch and totally forgot about the largish stack of Elvis films I picked up at BL some time back! Those make for *great* late night viewing simply because they take so little attention!
Old 04-01-14, 08:58 AM

I am starting today with one of the Vinegar Syndrome Drive-In collections. I am watching Death Force first, but will probably also watch Vampire Hookers this afternoon too.

Vinegar Syndrome would probably be a good addition to the safe distributors list.

Last edited by malazar; 04-01-14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the mood for some horror, as I hadn't really watched much since October, other than the occasional Dark Shadows, and Tales From the Crypt, so I started this morning with the original, 1980 Friday the 13th. Haven't decided yet if I'm watching the rest of the series or not, as the first one is really my favorite.
Old 04-01-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
I am starting today with one of the Vinegar Syndrome Drive-In collections.
I bought my first one last winter (Vixens of Kung Fu/Oriental Blue) Did not expect the films to be fully xxx! I thought they were gonna be edited like After Hours stuff.
Old 04-01-14, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I bought my first one last winter (Vixens of Kung Fu/Oriental Blue) Did not expect the films to be fully xxx!
Ha! Yeah, their stuff is almost always fully uncut so there can be some surprises like that. Death Force was a straight up action movie at least. It was a ton of fun, if a bit on the long side for this type of movie at 1 hour 50 minutes. I am suspecting Vampire Hookers will be more on the sleazy side though. I guess I will find out now.
Old 04-01-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You pretty much described all Elvis films. Many of my generation came to regard Elvis as almost a joke because of all those films.

The Elvis and "Beach" pictures ran almost constantly on local TV when I was a kid. Since one or the other came out about every 6 months to the theater there was a seemingly endless stream of them and they'd show up on TV here within 6 months of the theatrical debut. Other than being "star struck" with Elvis, Annette, Frankie, and/or others I never understood why people kept going to the theater for them.

Anyway... they are such a fixture of my youth that I now own copies of most of them simply out of nostalgia. I'd been looking over the unwatched piles for stuff to watch and totally forgot about the largish stack of Elvis films I picked up at BL some time back! Those make for *great* late night viewing simply because they take so little attention!
When I was growing up my friends and I avoided Elvis movies because we thought they were for girls. I didn't know anyone who went to see Elvis movies back then, not even my sisters. I had one friend, an Irish immigrant, who was a big Elvis fan and I heard my first Elvis records, including "Jailhouse Rock" and "All Shook Up," at his house, but I don't recall him seeing any of the movies. It wasn't until CHARRO came out in 1969 that I finally went to an Elvis movie, but it was a straight western and not a musical. (I remember the audience laughing at the trailer for it when the camera zoomed in for a closeup of a grizzled Elvis.)

Years later, after I got a color TV I began checking out Elvis movies on TV and found that I really enjoyed them, esp. things like FOLLOW THAT DREAM, KID GALAHAD, ROUSTABOUT, VIVA LAS VEGAS, and my favorite of all, FLAMING STAR. I have a soft spot for some of the lightweight fluffy musicals, too, like BLUE HAWAII, SPINOUT, SPEEDWAY and TICKLE ME, to name a few. SPINOUT is quite funny and Elvis is part of a very polished comic ensemble cast in that one. Even the very problematic CHANGE OF HABIT is a fascinating film, more for what it might have been than for what it is. But then, Elvis' whole career is fascinating for what might have been. I think he could have been a great movie star if he'd just broken free of Col. Tom Parker and gotten some real producers and directors behind him. He did good work for Gordon Douglas, Phil Karlson and Don Siegel; what could have happened if he'd managed to work with John Frankenheimer, Robert Altman, Arthur Penn, Sidney Lumet or, dare I say it, a young Scorsese or Coppola? I once had a dream where he made a movie with Doris Day in Africa directed by Henry Hathaway!
Old 04-01-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by desnoes
what is everyones starting film?
I started with the Something Weird Extra Weird DVD that I got free from Borders back in '02 (before they recalled it, due to complaints about nudity or whatever) that I'd never bothered to watch. I thought it was a trailer compilation DVD and figured that I'd seen all the trailers before, but it turned out to be a mix of trailers and clips from 90 Something Weird DVDs. It was over 3½ hours long, so I could've watched three movies instead.
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Netflix forced my hand, and I ended up started off with Elvis Presley's Blue Hawaii which expires today. I haven't seen an Elvis vehicle since I was a preteen, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. In hindsight, I should have expected exactly what was delivered: a flimsy "idiot plot" upon which to hang lots of musical numbers. Acting wasn't the King's forte, and things liven up with he sings or Angela Lansbury starts hamming it up as his overbearing mother (in full Southern Belle mode).

In a few scenes, Howard McNear (Floyd the Barber from The Andy Griffith Show) shows up as a travel agent who hires Presley as a tour guide for a group of teenaged girls. While taking the girls and their attractive teacher/chaperone to a luau, they come across a crass Oklahoman couple who instigate a brawl which provides a lot of plot developments (included all of the teenaged girls hiding in Elvis's hotel room) in the second half of the film. Yes, this is all just as silly as it sounds!
You mentioned the three reasons I love that film. How can you not love a movie with that cast?
Old 04-01-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

*Sighs* I hate when people don't understand why you don't do Challenges. Been chatting with a friend on yahoo messenger, and he told me, "I think you should forget the challenges and just watch what you want." He just doesn't understand the camaraderie that comes along with doing these, and that it's not just watching and listing. Besides, you don't have to go all out and watch nothing but Challenge content all month long, you can watch other stuff too. Like right now I'm watching a baseball game on MLB.TV on Roku.
Old 04-01-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
*Sighs* I hate when people don't understand why you don't do Challenges. Been chatting with a friend on yahoo messenger, and he told me, "I think you should forget the challenges and just watch what you want." He just doesn't understand the camaraderie that comes along with doing these, and that it's not just watching and listing. Besides, you don't have to go all out and watch nothing but Challenge content all month long, you can watch other stuff too. Like right now I'm watching a baseball game on MLB.TV on Roku.
I get that from my kids all the time!
Old 04-01-14, 01:52 PM

I started with Manos: The Hands of Fate. I'd heard so many bad things about it but had never seen it so wanted to try it. Man it's bad. Followed it up with Up From The Depths. Just as bad. Thank goodness I have a supportive wife!

Last edited by sharktrager; 04-01-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-01-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Bava's Knives of the Avenger counts as sword/sandal, correct?
Yeah.
Old 04-01-14, 02:02 PM

Third film of the day was Evel Knievel with George Hamilton Was a masterpiece compared to Manos and Up From The Depths. I've always had a soft spot for Evel, I don't know why.

I've just started an old favourite - the original 1954 Godzilla, and yes I mean the proper Japanese original, not the US version. I'm hoping to work my way through a few of them, but from what I remember the original is definitely the best.
Old 04-01-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Supposedly, he was up for the Kris Kristofferson role in Star is Born. Would have been interesting. I guess Col. Tom didn't want him playing a has-been. He really screwed Elvis. Apparently, Elvis had to have a share of publishing on all his songs, so that's why they were usually pretty bad.

I will say, Ann Margret is adorable in Viva Las Vegas.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.