Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 11:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

I'm toggling between doing a challenge that is just supplement material, or a ton of Film Movement DVD's that have been piling up in my 'to watch' stack for months now.
Old 04-18-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
It says in 1st post we can do a unwatched pile. i was going to do same thing until I saw this
Speaking of that, as I said in the first post, there was some discussion last year about using "unwatched pile" as a theme (some people weren't happy with it). Does anyone who discussed that last year not like the additional guideline I added this year? Do you think we should discourage all variations of "unwatched pile" as a theme, or are you okay with just discouraging "Unwatched Movie Pile" (since we have monthly threads for that already)?
Old 04-18-13, 08:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

^ I'm all for discouraging unwatched pile themes, more than just discouraging actually.

We have monthly threads for that. Get out of here if you can't be more creative than that. This Challenge is the greatest in terms of creativity potential, and shouldn't be wasted on what is already covered in other Challenges or the monthly unwatched threads. Not that I'm being particularly creative this year, but come on...

I haven't had my coffee yet.
Old 04-18-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Speaking of that, as I said in the first post, there was some discussion last year about using "unwatched pile" as a theme (some people weren't happy with it). Does anyone who discussed that last year not like the additional guideline I added this year? Do you think we should discourage all variations of "unwatched pile" as a theme, or are you okay with just discouraging "Unwatched Movie Pile" (since we have monthly threads for that already)?
I'm fine by it, that's why I picked something else. I was just letting the person know that posted he was doing an unwatched pile as his challenge
Old 04-18-13, 09:20 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't notice about not doing an unwatched movie pile thing, If I do it I will probably go with the objects of my affection idea i had
Old 04-18-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ I'm all for discouraging unwatched pile themes, more than just discouraging actually.

We have monthly threads for that. Get out of here if you can't be more creative than that. This Challenge is the greatest in terms of creativity potential, and shouldn't be wasted on what is already covered in other Challenges or the monthly unwatched threads. Not that I'm being particularly creative this year, but come on...

I haven't had my coffee yet.
I think "Unwatched Movie Pile" is the only "unwatched" thread though. I went back and read the part of last year's thread where this was discussed, and I decided then that I was okay with most of the "unwatched" challenges people were doing because they were different enough from the monthly thread (they fell under "narrowing the focus").

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
I'm fine by it, that's why I picked something else. I was just letting the person know that posted he was doing an unwatched pile as his challenge
Well, as I said, we talked about this last year during the challenge, so I figured I'd try to get some feedback before it's too late to change it (plus by asking questions I can maybe get a little more discussion going in this thread).
Originally Posted by atticusfinch
I didn't notice about not doing an unwatched movie pile thing, If I do it I will probably go with the objects of my affection idea i had
My feeling is that the part about "unwatched" falls under the don't duplicate other Challenges guideline. So you can narrow the focus and still do unwatched [fill-in-the-blank] (as long as you don't fill the blank with "movie").
Old 04-18-13, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
...I haven't had my coffee yet.
Old 04-18-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, I know that I'm a new comer to this challenge, but I have no problems with "unwatched movie pile" not being allowed. I can see how that is just a default and as there is a thread already going helping people keep track and motivating them to watch, that this challenge can be a bit more exclusive.

I mentioned earlier that I was thinking of unwatched TV shows from my childhood and I've officially decided to do that. Probably the latest time period would be the mid-late 90s, but I'm not going to only focus on that time era. I recently bought the complete series of the Brady Bunch and have a season and a half of that to go, plus all those old shows that I grew up watching on Nick at Nite. Patty Duke, The Monkees...I think of those when I think of what I watched back then, too. Kind of a nostalgia month, for me. Before I go into the challenge, I plan on going through what I have and making up a loose list of shows that I want to get to. That way I don't start staring at my collection, going "what do I want to watch?"
Old 04-18-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate doing a TV series challenge unless I can time the end of the series with the end of the challenge, since I move onto the next challenge the next month. I could always plan ahead on a series that works for both but who plans ahead like that?
Old 04-18-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I was looking at the two thoughts that I had earlier, and really felt uninspired by either of them. Then, I saw that several people were working on lists, and had an idea. When I first started familiarizing myself with films and film history, I started working through Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" reviews, watching and reading as I went. Unfortunately, I stopped some time ago, only noticing something was on the list when I checked it on icheckmovies.com. This challenge would be the perfect opportunity to start up the project again! There are quite a few qualifying films in my unwatched pile as well as available from the library and friends' collections.
Old 04-18-13, 11:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I will definitely use this challenge to finish off my re-watch of The X-Files. But instead of calling it that...I will call it the "I Want To Believe" Challenge. All things X-Files-ish (aliens, bigfoot, flukeman...).
Old 04-19-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I'll have to give it some thought.
Old 04-19-13, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I was thinking about Canceled TV Shows and Movies With The Wife.
I think I might just go ahead and make it the Lexx challenge. With unlimited wildcard movies so long as their are viewed with the wife.
Old 04-22-13, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was out on a run just now, listening to some Metallica when a thought struck me - why not do a Music related challenge, focusing on films & documentaries on Music? I think I'll mix in some music concerts & video collections too. So yeah, I guess that's what I'll do then for this year's challenge
Old 04-24-13, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmmm..

I'm thinking some kind of TV, both because I've watched a LOT of films recently, and because I may not have as much time to devote to it this month.

On the one hand, I need (well, "need") to get back to Star Trek Voyager, doubleback to the original series and then suffer through Enterprise, so I could formulate a STAR TREK challenge. But that might get old.

"Current (TV) Catch-up" is a necessity, too, since I'm very behind on new TV shows thanks to all these film challenges...

But TV seems almost unChallenge-y (to me), so I'd invariably feel bad about it if I went with either of those.

Discouraging 'unwatched' ideas is reasonable, so I won't even think further about an old idea I had to watch all (some) of the things that I'd had lined up for the various challenges and just didn't get around to.

I quite like that 'Objects of Affection' idea, but that seems like it would be a bit of a giveaway...!

I really like the "1001 Movies" (etc.) ideas, but I'm not sure I could easily lay hands on the things I'd need to see for any of them.

Another thought I had early on in the Exploitation Challenge was to watch ONLY sequels to films. Both because it'd be a challenge and because it might be interesting to see how easy it is to follow a sequel without having seen the original... but again I'd probably be hamstrung by availability.

An ALPHABET OF MOVIES? Watch a film for each of the AFI 50 Legendary Stars?

This is too difficult!
Old 04-24-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
On the one hand, I need (well, "need") to get back to Star Trek Voyager, doubleback to the original series and then suffer through Enterprise, so I could formulate a STAR TREK challenge. But that might get old.
I made my way through the entire Star Trek franchise last year and you're right, it does get old rather quickly especially when you're talking about Voyager and Enterprise. On the other hand, it's only 30 days so having a stopping point could certainly help you get through.

In addition to my Stargate viewing, I think I want to do a special features challenge. I have several discs were I've watched the films but none of the special features and that bugs me.
Old 04-24-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Decided to start my challenge early and just not count things till next month.
Old 04-24-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Discouraging 'unwatched' ideas is reasonable, so I won't even think further about an old idea I had to watch all (some) of the things that I'd had lined up for the various challenges and just didn't get around to.
There's no reason you can't do a challenge based on the stuff you wanted to watch during other challenges, but didn't have the time. (I even mention that in the first post; "Now's your chance to finally watch all the stuff that didn't fit, or that you just didn't get around to, during the other Challenges.") The "unwatched" guideline isn't there to discourage you from watching your "unwatched" discs (watching unwatched stuff is the main purpose for participating in these challenges for me).

This is too difficult!
You still have a few days.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Decided to start my challenge early and just not count things till next month.
I'll have the list thread up soon, so you can start counting stuff now if you want (it's your challenge, your rules). Just keep a list of what you've watched that counts for your challenge somewhere until the list thread is active.
Old 04-24-13, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The list thread is now active.
Old 04-25-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite challenge of the year, actually. Watching thirty days worth of the same thing can get really tiresome around day twenty, but with this, if you put just a little thought into a broad, cohesive theme, you can watch nearly anything you want.
Old 04-25-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe my plan would count. It's unwatched titles I own that are on official lists at icheckmovies. I'd just focus on one list at a time before moving onto the next one.
Old 04-25-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I believe my plan would count. It's unwatched titles I own that are on official lists at icheckmovies. I'd just focus on one list at a time before moving onto the next one.
As I said to ntnon earlier in this thread, "The 'unwatched' guideline isn't there to discourage you from watching your "unwatched" discs (watching unwatched stuff is the main purpose for participating in these challenges for me)."

We've had people do icheckmovies challenges before (looking at the first year, I see Mondo Kane and you are the people I remember). It's a great idea for a Challenge theme. I don't see any difference between hundreds of lists all on one site and a single list like "1001 movies you must see before you die" or one of the AFI lists (or all of the AFI lists as a single theme).

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-25-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 09:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

After thinking about a few ideas I finally settled on Fantastic Heroes From Comics, Pulps, and Radio as a topic. Not terribly original as others have done Superheroes in the past but I also wanted to include characters like Tarzan (Ron Ely Tarzan here I come!) and Dick Tracy which I personally don't think of as Superheroes.
Old 04-26-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I keep going back and forth on a few different ones:

Movie Serials (did this in 2011 and have acquired almost enough to do it again with never before seen serials. It was *lots* of fun!)
Starring Bob Hope
Starring James Garner (because I just got Maverick S2 and Rockford Files S1 & S2 and really want to dive in!)
Private Investigators on film (yep... Rockford Files again but also to work in S2 & S3 of Peter Gunn, S2-S5 of Remington Steele, as well as unopened sets of Hart to Hart, Barnaby Jones, Moonlighting, and probably a couple more)
TV shows I've never seen before (as much as anything to finally make time for that Adventures of Jim Bowie set I won a while back although it would also work for the upcoming Historical Appreciation Challenge as would Maverick but I already have tons of westerns and documentaries I've been saving for that one...)

OK... I can do this... I have 4 more days to decide...
Old 04-26-13, 12:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I have decided on an "I love the 80's Movies" Challenge. I didn't feel like severely limiting myself genre wise this time around and this is a good way to have fun with the decade I grew up in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.