Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 10:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I did my best and clocked in at 95, double what I did last year. Goodnight, all. See you in November.
What?! No! Watch two ~45 minute films and then three 2 minute shorts as wildcards and get to 100. You can do it! You have 8 more hours! Who needs sleep 7 days a week? You can sleep next month.
Old 10-31-12, 10:07 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Never having seen any of the Halloweentown movies, I didn't know quite what to expect going into the movie, other than knowing it was a Disney movie, but I have to say I really enjoyed it, and the Halloweentown movies will be a new Halloween tradition for me.
I think they may become a tradition here too, at least until my 10 year old out grows them. We only watched the first two this week, but may watch the others later in the week. I haven't seen the 3rd and 4th entries yet. Maybe solo tonight if I can't sleep after Fido. Don't tell Elise.
Originally Posted by nezumi
EDIT: Refresh my memory: Can we count It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown as one whole entry, or do we need to use a wildcard?
No wildcard needed, but it doesn't count as a full entry. It counts as 30 minutes towards a TV entry of 120 minutes.
Old 10-31-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Decided that after this AHS episode I'll be closing the challenge with The Bride Of Frankenstein.
Old 10-31-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't noticed this before: in Halloween II, when Night of the Living Dead is on TV, it's initially referred to correctly by the voice-over announcer (Tommy Lee Wallace?), but then the second time around, he calls it Dementia.

Edit: Or is he actually supposed to be watching Dementia? The music is still NOTLD, and the video looks like NOTLD, but it's only a couple of seconds, and I've never seen Dementia, so I guess it could be that film.

Last edited by NoirFan; 10-31-12 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Don't mean to pry but what kind of job do you have that allows you the schedule above and still make a living?
Living with parents I'm a casual stocktaker, so I only work occasionally (hence the huge amount of free time). My parents pay for, and provide me with, everything. Also why I'm moving to a new country next year - to learn to be independent and live in the real world.
Old 10-31-12, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I hadn't noticed this before: in Halloween II, when Night of the Living Dead is on TV, it's initially referred to correctly by the voice-over announcer (Tommy Lee Wallace?), but then the second time around, he calls it Dementia.

Edit: Or is he actually supposed to be watching Dementia? The music is still NOTLD, and the video looks like NOTLD, but it's only a couple of seconds, and I've never seen Dementia, so I guess it could be that film.
You haven't seen Dementia? But it's almost a Noir!
Old 10-31-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Finished up the challenge with Human Centipede 2, wow what a closer for the challenge!
Old 10-31-12, 10:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed my first horror challenge and managed to watch more than my personal goal of 40. I purchased a number of cheap used DVDs and Blu-rays, intending to watch them during the challenge, but there were so many movies which I had not previously seen which were available on Netflix or I had recorded on my DVR, that I didn't even watch any of them. I guess I am well supplied for next year's challenge.

Here are my top ten of the 47 new movies I watched:

1. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
2. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)
3. Severance (2006)

and the rest in no particular order

Zombies of Mass Destruction (2009)
Pulse (2001)
Creepshow (1982)
The Ninth Gate (1999)
Re-Animator (1985)
The Innkeepers (2011)
The Innocents (1961)
Old 10-31-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
You haven't seen Dementia? But it's almost a Noir!
It's on my to-see list, along with another 3,523 films.

Edit: Whoops, I had Dementia 13 confused with Dementia. I've seen Dementia many times, but still couldn't immediately place the fleeting footage.
Old 10-31-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Finishing things off with the ultimate scary movie, The Blair Witch Project; every time I decide it can't be as scary as I remember then... Let's see how this year goes.

I'm torn between a caffeine fueled last stand into the dawn hours or resting up. Either way it's been a lot of fun.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-31-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm in it until the sun makes me retreat into my coffin. Just watched Trick 'r Treat. Deciding what to watch next.
Old 10-31-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
But again, totally fine with this. It would make sense to not qualify for the 31 Films either as long as that is the understood rule for everyone.
I think you're good for the subset because I believe you can watch those at any time. It's fair because it's been allowed before. I just want to help protect the integrity of theme nights. Which, by the way, I have become somewhat enamored of during this challenge. Favorites were the robots, technology themes, arthouse horror and road terrors (wish I could have squeezed in a couple more for the latter). It's really awesome when you can watch multiple films from the same subgenre in a day.
Old 10-31-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

LJG765, I believe I've seen Liberace wearing that same outfit!
Well, I was more going for Elvis, but close enough with sequin covered jumpsuits! The bottom words say, "Rock Star."

And whoever mentioned It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, thank you! Totally forgot I taped it tonight on tv, so after I finish this movie, I'll flip over and watch that and probably finish the challenge with that.

I managed to complete the checklist that I created. Didn't do too badly, numbers wise considering I didn't really get going till half way through the challenge. I did pass 50, so don't feel too bad especially since the majority were TV shows.
Old 10-31-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Which, by the way, I have become somewhat enamored of during this challenge. Favorites were the robots, technology themes, It's really awesome when you can watch multiple films from the same subgenre in a day.
agreed I enjoyed watching titles I prolly would have avoided if not for the theme nights and my favorite for me was evil robots/tech as watching three fun first time views in chopping mall, class of 1999, and evolver.

im sad i missed hitting 150, but for the best needed to just rest and get some sleep tonight.

I also managed to make over 90 titles first timers gonna have to finalize my list tomorrow before work
Old 10-31-12, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't catch "Halloween II" this year so this may be wrong, but I think the movies the characters are watching on TV are hosted by Dr. Dementia.
Old 10-31-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Finished this challenge with 139 entries. I'm actually kind of glad that it's over and I can get back to my more laid-back regular schedule.
Old 11-01-12, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Capping it off with Halloween.
Checklist done.
Subset done.
182 flicks in the bag.
Return to life.
Over and out!

Happy Halloween all!
Old 11-01-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my last official viewing was on Saturday with The Exorcism of Emily Rose leaving me with 15 total for the month. At least I got to that number, since for a while, it didn't seem I would hit 10 films. Work and life kept getting in the way, but I did have fun viewing what I could.

I have to get up early for work, so my planned viewings for tonight were canceled since I just didn't have enough time with everything going on at home. So I mostly just watched bits and pieces of some films on t.v. while passing out candy.

And I must say watching a bad sequel really puts me off of watching more films in a series so close together. Originally I was hoping to make it through the entire Toxic Avenger series, but part 2 really killed the mood. I was going to skip part 3 and just go to part 4 (and someday see part 3 finally), but I just didn't run into any time for it, and wound up selecting other stuff to watch.

Oh and my original plan for the finale was to watch Terror Firmer (unrated version this time) to end on an outrageous note. But since I never got around to it, my mood changed to wanting something more suspenseful. So I was aiming to watch Friday the 13th part 2, and Assault On Precinct 13(the original) both of which I hadn't seen in years. I know Precinct 13 may seem like a strange choice. But I recall the film being extremely suspenseful and gripping and had a horror like atmosphere to it all, that it could count as a wild card if needed. And naturally, I wasn't able to watch any of my planned choices. So I'll probably watch them some time in the next year, or attempt to save them for the next challenge.
Old 11-01-12, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Halloween the organization I volunteer for on campus participated in a "Scream Around the World" event where different RSOs (registered student organizations) set up booths and provided different Halloween-related activites for kids. We did face paintiing, and it was a lot of fun. Here is my friend RJ as a zombie and me as Jason Voorhees:

Spoiler:

Then we went back to my apartment and capped off the night with some horror movies. Hope everyone had a fun Halloween!

Last edited by edwardnortonfan; 11-01-12 at 01:49 AM. Reason: spoiler because WTF the pic is huge
Old 11-01-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Fun Halloween! Went out with friends and showed a funny Halloween video at the beginning of class. I ended up watching Zombieland and Abbot & Costello Meet the Mummy in the overlapping time. Ended up with 67 entries for this challenge - a respectable showing if I do say so myself!

I decided to use this challenge to see a lot of unwatched classics. My favorites were The Shining and The Thing which are definitely going to became traditions around Halloween for me!
Old 11-01-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I still have a bunch of posts to catch up on, but I just thought I'd check in and say that I think I'm done as far as watching for this year. Unless I get a jolt of adrenaline, I will end up with 138, which is far more than I was expecting when this thing started.

It has been lots of fun, and I reserve the right to back track and comment on some stuff when I have time to catch up. But thanks to everyone who participated, Chad, and all our sponsors. Congratulations to all who met their goals. I'm ready to come back to reality, but I will also be ready to go back into this mode next October again. Ha, ha.
Old 11-01-12, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Watching my last film at the moment...a crossover with the comedy challenge and directed by the woman who gave us Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Clueless. Pretty sexy stuff.

Very sad for this challenge to end, but excited to have made it to 132 films, with checklist and theme nights completed. My most successful of three attempts at this challenge since 2007.

Really enjoyed the discussions. Will post more thoughts when I finalize everything over the weekend. Can't believe that was a month guys! Seriously. Haha.
Old 11-01-12, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I wish I didn't burn myself out so early on. Either way, I had a great time this year watching the films that I did
Old 11-01-12, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Got a wee bit behind thanks to an Internet outage and looks like there's some catching up to do.

Once I finally get my list updated, I'll probably end up somewhere in the neighborhood of 150. While that's considerably less than last year, I did manage to reach an all-time high for first time viewings. I'm happy with the outcome.
Old 11-01-12, 02:55 AM

Finished last night with 305 movies + my Dexter eps = 306. I could've fit in some more before dawn, but I decided not to Was a lot of fun and managed to make a significant dent in my unwatched pile. Now back to working on They Shoot Pictures Don't They (not as much fun as horror ) and preparing for my move.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.