Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-05-12, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Even watching around 100 movies in the month I noticed that my mid-month review scores were lower than the beginning because it would become more of a chore to cram movies in. This year I'm trying to pace things better and come up with a way of preventing "horror fatigue."
That's usually my biggest issue with any challenge really. After a while, I just get totally burned out. I just took part in an 80s challenge at another site and it became a big task to just maintain the pace I was on. I'm usually a bit more excited about the horror challenge though, so hopefully that's not a sign of things to come.
Old 09-05-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

So...was it ever decided if the term "movie" was going to be dropped and just call it a Horror Challenge?

I know it is dumb but I have a hard time watching anything but movies when it is called a "movie" challenge. I know the contest is for fun and the rules allow all sorts of other stuff and everyone else seems to be watching stuff other than movies, but I always feel like I would be cheating since it is called a "movie" challenge.
Old 09-05-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
So...was it ever decided if the term "movie" was going to be dropped and just call it a Horror Challenge?

I know it is dumb but I have a hard time watching anything but movies when it is called a "movie" challenge. I know the contest is for fun and the rules allow all sorts of other stuff and everyone else seems to be watching stuff other than movies, but I always feel like I would be cheating since it is called a "movie" challenge.
As I recall it was discussed and decided against.
Old 09-05-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
As I recall it was discussed and decided against.
May I ask why? Not trying to stir the pot but I am genuinely curious. Seems like an obvious decision to drop "movie" from the challenge since it has evolved to encompass a larger variety of options.
Old 09-05-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
May I ask why? Not trying to stir the pot but I am genuinely curious. Seems like an obvious decision to drop "movie" from the challenge since it has evolved to encompass a larger variety of options.
I think it was decided that the name stick due to tradition and perhaps in part due to some participant preference for focus on movies (despite allowing other content).
Old 09-05-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I think it was decided that the name stick due to tradition and perhaps in part due to some participant preference for focus on movies (despite allowing other content).
This plus Chad's personal preference as OHMC Overlord.
Old 09-06-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The nerd in me has forced me to work on an access database, focusing on the checklist. Anyone else taking it to an extreme?
I use to do stuff like this but I would always end up watching something different that what I had "planned". Planning things in advance rarely works for me. I'm too spontaneous. I loaded of bunch of movies onto my iPad for a work trip and when I pulled it out to watch something on the plane, I didn't feel like watching anything that I had loaded.
Old 09-06-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I use to do stuff like this but I would always end up watching something different that what I had "planned". Planning things in advance rarely works for me. I'm too spontaneous. I loaded of bunch of movies onto my iPad for a work trip and when I pulled it out to watch something on the plane, I didn't feel like watching anything that I had loaded.
I do it just for the checklist and then I spend the rest of the time figuring out what to watch. So far I found my one film that takes care of a bunch of checks, so now it's just trying to fill out the rest which is the pain.
Old 09-06-12, 11:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Every year I think about studying the checklist and IMDB, to figure out the least number of items to complete it. But I'd hate to take away the joy of that task from one of you, so I'll defer again.
Old 09-06-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figure the easiest way to do it would be to watch something that's a compilation of scenes or trailers but that feels like cheating to me.
Old 09-06-12, 12:01 PM

I do it just for the checklist and then I spend the rest of the time figuring out what to watch. So far I found my one film that takes care of a bunch of checks, so now it's just trying to fill out the rest which is the pain.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Every year I think about studying the checklist and IMDB, to figure out the least number of items to complete it. But I'd hate to take away the joy of that task from one of you, so I'll defer again.
I would be interested to see what films others recommend for busting through the checklist. Here are some of mine, posted with SPOILER BELOW; I appreciate the checklist but sometimes certain categories are a pain...
Spoiler:
Faceless (1987) - Lina Romay, Caroline Munro, 1980s, other language, fits medial horor or scream queen theme day.
Hatchet (I or II) - Kane Hodder, Danielle Harris, 2010s, Slasher/Psycho/Homicidal Maniac, fits scream queen or sequel theme days.
The Forest - ghost, slasher/psycho/homicidal maniac, fits campfire theme day.
Tomb of the Blind Dead - Amando de Ossorio, other language, Zombie, BFI's 100 European Horror Films, 1970s [with sequels fits Film and at Least Two of its Sequels].
Cannibal The Musical - Cannibalism, Comedy/Spoof, Musical/Rock 'n Roll Horror, decade.
Mad Monster Party hits all the monster categories.
Old 09-06-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still compiling the movies but I hit the one I'm basing the rest around
Spoiler:

Waxwork - Kane Hodder, Cannibalism, Comedy/Spoof, Extraterrestrial, Frankenstein, Killer/Evil Animal, Killer/Evil Child, Monster/Creature Feature/Godzilla, Mummy, Slasher/Psycho/Homicidal Maniac, Vampire, Werewolf, Witchcraft/Statanic/Religious, Zombie, DVD format, English Language, 1980, Rated R
Old 09-06-12, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*crawls out of woodwork*

Oh, hi everyone! It's my favorite time of year again.

I'm so excited that I have Netflix instant streaming through my beloved Roku box this year. I'll be able to watch more movies that way (here's hoping at least) since I just have to fiddle with the remote instead of physically walking across the room to switch discs.
Old 09-06-12, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
That's usually my biggest issue with any challenge really. After a while, I just get totally burned out. I just took part in an 80s challenge at another site and it became a big task to just maintain the pace I was on. I'm usually a bit more excited about the horror challenge though, so hopefully that's not a sign of things to come.
Agreed. It's weird, because with the 80s challenge, it was more open since it encompassed a whole decade, so you'd think it would be easier to find things that fit, but I found myself moping a lot and staring longingly at the horror movies I wanted to check out that didn't fit within the 80s timeframe. It's weird because even with horror being limited to one genre, I still don't get bored and distracted as easily as I did with the 80s challenge, even though that challenge technically had more to choose from. Guess I'm just a freakish troll at heart who loves her horror movies.
Old 09-06-12, 12:48 PM

Spoiler:

Waxwork - Kane Hodder, Cannibalism, Comedy/Spoof, Extraterrestrial, Frankenstein, Killer/Evil Animal, Killer/Evil Child, Monster/Creature Feature/Godzilla, Mummy, Slasher/Psycho/Homicidal Maniac, Vampire, Werewolf, Witchcraft/Statanic/Religious, Zombie, DVD format, English Language, 1980, Rated R
I was going to say that if you watched the sequel as well you'd get more checks, but then I thought about it and realized the first one covers just about the same territory. You could at least get a 1990's check, I guess.
Old 09-06-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dcrw6
I was going to say that if you watched the sequel as well you'd get more checks, but then I thought about it and realized the first one covers just about the same territory. You could at least get a 1990's check, I guess.
If they were good enough to have made a third, that would help with the two sequels. Later decades aren't much of an issue but 1920 and 1930s are a little limited for me. I have some but I'm only getting a couple checks for them. Mad Love gets me 1930, Peter Lorre, maybe psychological but I have something else planned for that one.

I'm thinking of doing Cat and the Canary for psychological, 1920, Ghost/Haunting. If I stick with that, then I can do the 1978 remake and get the checks for remake and PG.
Old 09-06-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't think anyone mentioned Hammer's House of Horrors for the horror TV stuff. I just got a review set in the mail today and will probably hold off on watching it until next month. It comes out on 9/11 for anyone interested. It's a really nice 5 disc set (in a normal size dvd case)
Old 09-06-12, 03:14 PM

Spoiler:

That's a checklist gold mine I've never seen, I am amending my plans accordingly. Thanks.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Don't think anyone mentioned Hammer's House of Horrors for the horror TV stuff. I just got a review set in the mail today and will probably hold off on watching it until next month. It comes out on 9/11 for anyone interested. It's a really nice 5 disc set (in a normal size dvd case)
IMDB.com says Hammer House of Horror episodes are 51 minutes. Did we determine television material that is standalone/self-contained and runs over the academy award requirement for feature films (40 minutes) counts as a single entry [instead of 1/4 item for every 30 minutes rule for episodic TV]?

Fry's Electronics has Hammer House of Horror set for $23 and it's on my list.
Old 09-06-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a checklist gold mine I've never seen, I am amending my plans accordingly. Thanks. IMDB.com says Hammer House of Horror episodes are 51 minutes. Did we determine television material that is standalone/self-contained and runs over the academy award requirement for feature films (40 minutes) counts as a single entry [instead of 1/4 item for every 30 minutes rule for episodic TV]?

I think since they aired on TV it'll fall under the tv episode time rules (120 minutes per entry including commercials). So 2 episode of HHoH would equal 1 entry since they are 60 minute episodes if you factor in time for the commercials.
Old 09-06-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

That's a checklist gold mine I've never seen, I am amending my plans accordingly. Thanks. IMDB.com says Hammer House of Horror episodes are 51 minutes. Did we determine television material that is standalone/self-contained and runs over the academy award requirement for feature films (40 minutes) counts as a single entry [instead of 1/4 item for every 30 minutes rule for episodic TV]?
I thought that an established rule for this challenge.
Get it. It's a GREAT set for fans of 70s horror. Is there any difference between this new release and the old A&E set?
Old 09-06-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
I thought that an established rule for this challenge.

Get it. It's a GREAT set for fans of 70s horror. Is there any difference between this new release and the old A&E set?
It seems like a couple featurettes and episode introductions have been added. This set is 5 discs compared to A&E's 4.
Old 09-06-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I think since they aired on TV it'll fall under the tv episode time rules (120 minutes per entry including commercials). So 2 episode of HHoH would equal 1 entry since they are 60 minute episodes if you factor in time for the commercials.
For what it's worth, Masters of Horror used to count as a single entry since they were considered movies. HHoH episodes felt like movies to me. I always wondered about the hour long episodes of the Twilight Zone. They never had that individual feel of a film but they're just as long as the other things that do count.
Old 09-06-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

^this is why I dislike the idea of counting TV shows differently. Who has time to sit and figure out 1/4 of a "point" for 30 min shows. I just wanna watch my Horror/Halloween themed stuff and not had to think about how many "points" it counts for.
Old 09-06-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what it's worth, Masters of Horror used to count as a single entry since they were considered movies. HHoH episodes felt like movies to me. I always wondered about the hour long episodes of the Twilight Zone. They never had that individual feel of a film but they're just as long as the other things that do count.
True. I definitely counted MoH as a movie. I've never seen these HHoH so I can't comment on their feel. Hopefully whichever way people decide to count it is okay and a war doesn't start.
Old 09-06-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Getting scheduled for hernia surgery, only good thing coming out of it is I will be off of work for October.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.