Challenge Starts June 30th at 12:01 am

Challenge ends August 1st at dawn

Sponsored by

Hamilton Book

Something Weird Video
And

A Mystery Donor

Rules

Movies/TV shows should be labeled sci-fi or fantasy from either imdb.com or allmovie.com. Other labels don't matter as long as there is at least a sci-fi or fantasy label from one of those sites. Action/Sci-fi would be fine.

If anyone has a problem with something someone watches or just wants an opinion on if it's sci-fi or fantasy or not, ask here.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy documentaries are allowed but not DVD featurettes/interviews. Documentaries include UFO and alien abduction type shows.

As with the other challenges, the lists must be numbered or it won't count.

Movies count as 1 entry each.

3 wild cards for all. Use for those shows you want to watch but know they really don't count but they're pretty close or borderline to counting.

TV shows count according to length as they are aired on TV(including commercials):
  • 30 minute shows count as 1/4 an entry
  • 1 hour shows count as 1/2 an entry
  • 2 hour shows count as 1 entry
So you need 4, 30 minute shows for 1 entry or 2 60 minute shows or any combination that gets you to 1 entry. While X-Files has a runtime of around 43 minutes, on-air it's an hour show.

If it's short films that are 10 minutes or less, once you hit 23 minutes of watching them, you've reached one 30 minute show. This is based on the theory that the run time for a 30 minute show is between 22-24 minutes.

For mini series, do count each "day" that it aired (assuming that each day was a 2 hour block). For example, Dune: The Mini Series, would it be:

63. Dune: The Mini Series - Part I
64. Dune: The Mini Series - Part II
65. Dune: The Mini Seriies - Part III

When listing TV shows, keep them together for one entry.
Example:
65. Outer Limits:episode name / Futurama: episode name / Futurama: episode name
How do I list TV shows and other short stuff if I don't have enough for an entry?

At the bottom of your post/list, keep a Temp TV section. Add stuff there until you get enough for an entry.

Watching the movie with the commentary will count as an entry.

Watching multiple versions(theatrical and director's cut) of the same movie will also count.

Number Your List!!!
Anything extra is up to you but you at least have to number your list.

Example
1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Aliens 3
How to win a prize

There's 1 ways to get an entry:
  1. Participate by watching at least 1 item

Sci-fi/Fantasy Radio

I'm treating audio harshly since this is primarily a movie/tv challenge. That being said, one episode, 4 hours with commercials, of Coast to Coast counts as one entry. It's the same format for TV, only doubled. The topic of the show has to be sci-fi/fantasy related, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem with Coast to Coast.

If you're listening to something without commercials, or can skip them, you're looking at 3 hours of audio for one entry.

1/4 entry = 45 minutes without commercials and 60 with commercials.

1/2 entry = 90 minutes without commercials and 120 with commercials.

3/4 entry = 135 minutes without commercials and 180 with commercials.

1 entry = 180 minutes without commercials and 240 with commercials.

Previous discussion and list threads can be found here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9531033-post3.html

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 07-26-12 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Online shows and films
http://www.hulu.com/channels/Science-Fiction (Online Streaming)
http://www.archive.org/details/SciFi_Horror (Online Streaming and Downloads) - Horror doesn't count for this challenge
http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...atype%3Amovies Sci-fi results
http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...atype%3Amovies Fantasy results
http://www.netflix.com/WiGenre?sgid=373&lnkctr=mhwG373 (Sci-fi and Fantasy instant streaming) Membership or free trial required
http://www.amctv.com/videos/b-movies/ Hit the sci-fi/fantasy tab for online streaming

Need more ideas?
http://www.movieretriever.com/genre/19/Sci-Fi
http://www.movieretriever.com/genre/10/Fantasy

How about a book?
The Overlook Film Encyclopedia: Science Fiction
Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties, by Bill Warren[/QUOTE]
Sci-Fi Savant written by DVDTalk's DVD Savant (Glenn Erickson). There's also a nice interview done with him by Stuart Galbraith IV here on DVDTalk.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 06-16-12 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Checklist
*Watching enough shorts or TV to count as one entry, you can use that one entry as a check on the checklist, as long as each of them count for whatever you're checking. You can mix and match what you've seen to make a check, they all don't have to be grouped together as a single entry on your watch list.

3 Wildcards allowed

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1900s.
--- 1900(No time limit but must be at least complete short film) -
--- 1910(No time limit but must be at least complete short film) -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.
--- First language -
--- Second language -

--- Watch the MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic version of a sci-fi/fantasy film -
--- Watch a film and its remake -
--- Watch a film based on a video game -
--- Watch a film based on a novel -
--- Watch a film which won an Academy Award -- any category -
--- Watch a silent film -
--- Watch a Criterion version film -
--- Watch a film with commentary -
--- Watch a film and at least two sequels -
--- Watch a film that takes place underneath the Earth -
--- Watch a film that takes place in space -
--- Watch a film that takes place on or under the sea -
--- Watch an animated film -
--- Watch a film with special effects by Ray Harryhausen -
--- Watch a film that takes place in the "future" but the year has already come and gone -
--- Written by/starring/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Ray Bradbury -
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by Ed Wood/Steven Spielberg/Terry Gilliam -*
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by Roger Corman/Edgar G. Ulmer/Charles Band -

Watch a film for each rating:
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X/NC-17(Optional) -
--- Unrated -

Watch a film in each of the following subgenres:
--- Alien invasion -
--- Horror
--- Cyborg/Cybernetic revolt -
--- Post-Apocalyptic -
--- Alternate History -
--- Robot/Android -
--- Immortality -
--- Space Opera/Serial -
--- Mutants (non-critter) -
--- Comic Book -
--- Mad Scientist -
--- Comedy -
--- Time travel -
--- Giant Critters -
--- Prehistoric -
--- Paranormal -
--- Kaiju -
--- Tech Noir -

Not sure what qualifies? Check here for a description http://www.wattpad.com/3632123-fanta...sci-fi-fantasy
--- Arthurian Fantasy -
--- Based on fairy tale -
--- Urban Fantasy -
--- High Fantasy -
--- Sword and Sorcery -
--- Dark Fantasy -
--- Martial Arts Fantasy -

Watch a film starring:
--- Lionel Atwill/Mara Corday/Marshall Thompson -
--- Faith Domergue/Bruce Campbell/Donald Sutherland -
--- Jeff Goldblum/Sigorney Weaver/Stephen Chow -
--- Joey Wang/Maggie Cheung/Gloria Talbot -
--- James Coburn/Ross Martin/Dick Miller -
--- Michelle Rodriguez/David Warner/Tilda Swinton -
--- Natalie Portman/Peter Cushing/Bruce Willis/Kurt Russell -

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 08-13-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope I'm not stepping on the toes of other challenges but I've always liked to start the discussion thread a month early so we can all fight about why actor/actress X shouldn't be in the checklist because they've only really done X number of sci-fi/fantasy films/tv shows.
Old 06-01-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

Just started watching history/documentaries tonight and now you have me craving something sci-fi.

I am looking forward to it. A couple of the tv shows I started for the Make-Your-Own-Challenge are sci-fi/fantasy in nature, so they're already set aside to resume in July.
Old 06-01-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a month to figure out who the hell John Lounsbery is.

Here's another enthusiastic book recommendation, although it is pricey as well as hefty:

Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties, by Bill Warren
Old 06-01-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as the 1900 and 1910 films for the checklist, would we have to use wildcards for them, as all would likely be less than full-length?
Old 06-01-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Just started the history challenge, and now that I see this thread, already looking forward to the sci fi challenge. Got some unwatched movies in my sci fi set from MC, and recently bought the MC Sci Fi invasion set, I have yet to finish Time Tunnel, and as I was one of the winners of the Make Your Own Challenge, the prize I chose, was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Season 2 Volume 2, so I'll have some unwatched sci fi all ready to watch for the challenge.
Old 06-01-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resoived!
Old 06-01-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Well, I have a month to figure out who the hell John Lounsbery is.

Here's another enthusiastic book recommendation, although it is pricey as well as hefty:

Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties, by Bill Warren
Thanks for the link, I'll add it soon.

John did animation for stuff like Snow White but it doesn't matter since I'm going to swap everyone out and probably do it in groups of 3, similar to what Horror did last year.

As far as the 1900 and 1910 films for the checklist, would we have to use wildcards for them, as all would likely be less than full-length?
I'll make those two decades have no time limit but it does need to be some sort of film type video and not just something like a 30 second short of a monkey with a sword dancing around.

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Resoived!
Tad early, this is just the discussion thread. I'll do the list thread around the 15th.

I haven't talked with anyone about prizes but at the very least, I have a copy of Troll I can offer.
Old 06-01-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
...and not just something like a 30 second short of a monkey with a sword dancing around.
Even though it won't count, you have me interested. Please post a link.
Old 06-02-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unresoived!
Old 06-02-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone have any sci-fi Blu-rays or DVDs on order or ones that they plan on buying for the challenge? I've pre-ordered the UK disc of Things to Come, Colossus of New York, The Space Children, and Project X, plus Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Monkey with a Sword Dancing Around once they're released in July. Mister Peepers, would the NOES films count under the Fantasy banner? I remember asking a couple of years ago, but I forget what your ruling was.
Old 06-02-12, 08:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

My only problem with this is Prometheus comes out next week... the perfect film for this challenge, just don't know if I can hold out till July to see it.
Old 06-02-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone have any sci-fi Blu-rays or DVDs on order or ones that they plan on buying for the challenge? I've pre-ordered the UK disc of Things to Come, Colossus of New York, The Space Children, and Project X, plus Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Monkey with a Sword Dancing Around once they're released in July. Mister Peepers, would the NOES films count under the Fantasy banner? I remember asking a couple of years ago, but I forget what your ruling was.
I wouldn't count NOES since I think things watched for this challenge should have the main genre be sci-fi or fantasy and I'd say that's more horror.

As for buying stuff, Monkey with a Sword Dancing Around is a given. I didn't know about Body Snatchers but if I see it for a good price, I'm getting it.

I hate this challenge because I don't have any sci-fi or fantasy lists I need to complete, so I'm always stuck on wondering what to watch. I always seem to end up wasting a couple hours and then decide to do things alphabetically. If I go with that plan, I'm making my first pass through my Alien blu-ray set, some imax Alien 3D movie, an Alien/UFO documentary box set and then Alien Outlaws.
Old 06-02-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't know about Body Snatchers but if I see it for a good price, I'm getting it.
ImportCDs is your best bet for the Olive titles (for genre stuff, they're also releasing The Boogens, Tales that Witness Madness and Thinner): $14.50 each plus $1.49 shipping, with a handling fee of $2.99 per order. Even with the high shipping costs, they're still cheaper than Amazon. Also, they're currently having a 10% off sale, but pre-orders aren't available until a month before release, so you'd have to wait on any of the four titles I mentioned. They're also the ones releasing Colossus, Space Children, and Project X.
Old 06-02-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 610 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Just started watching history/documentaries tonight and now you have me craving something sci-fi.

I am looking forward to it. A couple of the tv shows I started for the Make-Your-Own-Challenge are sci-fi/fantasy in nature, so they're already set aside to resume in July.
Same here. I started my challenge journey with this one and look forward to it as it's my absolute favorite genre. I watched *lots* of sci-fi/fantasy in my MYO challenge and have almost a season and a half of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea to complete. I don't know if I'll be able to wait a full month!
...since I'm going to swap everyone out and probably do it in groups of 3, similar to what Horror did last year....
That would be *great* as I had lots of trouble last year finding something watchable by Bakshi (I've never liked his work). It would also allow for more diverse lists.

Here are some changes for consideration...

On the Genre section:

Combine "Cyborg" with "Cybernetic Revolt" as CR is basically a sub-genre of Cyborg.
I'd argue to drop "Paranormal" as it's typically more horror with little to no sci-fi trappings.
Swap "Superhero" for "Comic book"
Change "Mutants" to "Mutants - non critter"
Put all the fantasy genres in the same section/area (just for asthetics)

Add:
Space Opera/Serial
Alternate History
Robot/Android
Tech Noir (or combine with Cyberpunk as there is lots of overlap)
Comedy
Old 06-02-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for books, don't forget Sci-Fi Savant written by DVDTalk's DVD Savant (Glenn Erickson). There's also a nice interview done with him by Stuart Galbraith IV here on DVDTalk.
Old 06-02-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could I use a wild card on Suspiria? It definitely has fantasy elements to it, and I've got the Blu-ray on order.
Old 06-02-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I ordered the MC Sci Fi Invasion set, and chose my prize of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea for the Sci Fi Challenge.
Old 06-02-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Same here. I started my challenge journey with this one and look forward to it as it's my absolute favorite genre. I watched *lots* of sci-fi/fantasy in my MYO challenge and have almost a season and a half of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea to complete. I don't know if I'll be able to wait a full month!

That would be *great* as I had lots of trouble last year finding something watchable by Bakshi (I've never liked his work). It would also allow for more diverse lists.

Here are some changes for consideration...

On the Genre section:

Combine "Cyborg" with "Cybernetic Revolt" as CR is basically a sub-genre of Cyborg.
I'd argue to drop "Paranormal" as it's typically more horror with little to no sci-fi trappings.
Swap "Superhero" for "Comic book"
Change "Mutants" to "Mutants - non critter"
Put all the fantasy genres in the same section/area (just for asthetics)

Add:
Space Opera/Serial
Alternate History
Robot/Android
Tech Noir (or combine with Cyberpunk as there is lots of overlap)
Comedy
Sounds like a good start.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
As for books, don't forget Sci-Fi Savant written by DVDTalk's DVD Savant (Glenn Erickson). There's also a nice interview done with him by Stuart Galbraith IV here on DVDTalk.
Will add. Thanks.

Could I use a wild card on Suspiria? It definitely has fantasy elements to it, and I've got the Blu-ray on order.
Now that I think about it, NOES and Suspira should be fine with wild cards. I think those are the types of things they're made for.
Old 06-02-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
That's what I figured. As far as Vincent Price for the checklist, I think of him much more as a horror icon than a sci-fi one. Other than perhaps Last Man on Earth, what were his other sci-fi roles?
Old 06-02-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^
That's what I figured. As far as Vincent Price for the checklist, I think of him much more as a horror icon than a sci-fi one. Other than perhaps Last Man on Earth, what were his other sci-fi roles?
Those people are all from last year and are getting replaced, so you can ignore them.
Old 06-02-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...As far as Vincent Price for the checklist, I think of him much more as a horror icon than a sci-fi one. Other than perhaps Last Man on Earth, what were his other sci-fi roles?
Sci-Fi films (although several also qualify as horror):
The Invisible Man Returns
The Fly
Return of the Fly
Master of the World
War-Gods of the Deep
Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine
Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs
Last Man on Earth
Scream and Scream Again
Son of Sinbad (Fantasy)

And some TV:
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: The Deadly Dolls (S4E2)
Several episodes of Batman - as EggHead
A couple of episodes of Science Fiction Theater
and a few others.

But... I see he's being replaced so those are for future reference, eh?
Old 06-02-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had totally forgotten about the Fly films, even though I watched both last week! Not familiar with the others on that list, except for Scream and Scream Again, which I remember having an absurdly uptempo 'Swinging London' title track.

A few actor suggestions:

Lionel Atwill
Mara Corday
Marshall Thompson
Faith Domergue

Last edited by NoirFan; 06-02-12 at 01:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.