Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 04:31 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Now call ME slow. I understand when this starts but if we don't care about overlap with the Historical Challenge we can still watch any SF/Fantasy we want correct?
Old 06-29-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct.

At least until the challenge organizers have a secret meeting and decide to force more people into other challenges by allowing the overlap day as a bonus for only those that do both challenges.

I had a super slow moment this morning when I saw people talking about the overlapping day and thought it might have started last night.
Old 06-29-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i blame my job bc they screwed up my sense of time...when im suppose to be at ork at midnight on monday that means i gotta be there monday night doing that for five years makes me feel like an idiot when i get my am and pms confused
Old 06-29-12, 05:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
At least until the challenge organizers have a secret meeting and decide to force more people into other challenges by allowing the overlap day as a bonus for only those that do both challenges.
The first rule of The Secret Challenge Overlords Alliance is to not talk about The Secret Challenge Overlords Alliance.

Your dues are late by the way.
Old 06-29-12, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
Now call ME slow. I understand when this starts but if we don't care about overlap with the Historical Challenge we can still watch any SF/Fantasy we want correct?
Don't feel bad, I had/have this same question too. From the answer, I'm going with any SF/Fantasy movie tonight (well, tomorrow ) at midnight rather than try to find an overlapping one. Though I may change my mind. I like to reserve that right!

My main problem is I keep thinking that the 1st is Monday, not Sunday. That was the subject of a huge argument of confusion today as my mom had the dates wrong, but not the days and I had the dates right, but not the days.
Old 06-29-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, so I can watch whichever sci-fi/fantasy films I want tomorrow, and not have to focus on historical ones?
Old 06-29-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I want to use tables for formatting this year. Straight html works but has spacing issues:

HTML Code:
<table  cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="1">
<tr style="background-color: yellow;">
   <td nowrap>#</td>
   <td nowrap>Name</td>
   <td nowrap>Year</td>
   <td nowrap>Director</td>
   <td nowrap>Country</td>
   <td nowrap>Media</td>
   <td nowrap>Comments</td>
</tr>
<tr >
   <td nowrap>1</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>three</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td></td>
</tr>
<tr style="background-color: silver;">
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td nowrap>dummy</td>
   <td></td>
</tr>
</table>
BBcode doesn't work at all:

[table]
[tr]
[th]Name[/th]
[th]Age[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]John[/td]
[td]65[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Gitte[/td]
[td]40[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Sussie[/td]
[td]19[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

What am I missing?
Old 06-29-12, 07:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Don't feel bad, I had/have this same question too. From the answer, I'm going with any SF/Fantasy movie tonight (well, tomorrow ) at midnight rather than try to find an overlapping one. Though I may change my mind. I like to reserve that right!
Thanks LJG765 and I'm with you all the way about the right to change my mind. But I am a little worried about all this talk about The Secret Challenge Overlords Alliance. I mean, are we really supposed to know about stuff like th
Old 06-29-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Okay, so I can watch whichever sci-fi/fantasy films I want tomorrow, and not have to focus on historical ones?
Yes.

At 12:01 am (local time), we may all begin watching unicorn movies. You only have to watch historic ones if you want them to count for the history challenge.
Old 06-29-12, 07:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Judgment time. Am I right in assuming that Dark Shadows (the 2012 movie) counts as paranormal due to the ghost and assorted other unnatural things in it?
Old 06-29-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At 12:01 am (local time), we may all begin watching unicorn movies.
And Unicron movies!

Old 06-29-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
And Unicron movies!

I own that. I may watch it sometime during this challenge.
Old 06-29-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orlmac
Judgment time. Am I right in assuming that Dark Shadows (the 2012 movie) counts as paranormal due to the ghost and assorted other unnatural things in it?
imdb lists it as fantasy, so it auto-counts.

I think Sunday I might watch the new Tron movie with the Disney second screen app. Haven't tried the app on any other films yet, so now's as good a time as any.
Old 06-29-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Work has kicked my ass the last few years when it comes to challenges. That, plus the fact that I'm in a movie-watching slump like I haven't been in, in a looong time (I've only watched like, 2 movies in the past 6 months!*) I'm gonna just say fuck it, and join this challenge. Most of the flicks I'll watch will probably be newer(ish) movies only because I have a lot of shit to catch up on.

*I don't know what brought the slump on either, I just haven't been motivated enough I guess.
Old 06-29-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by omike
Thanks LJG765 and I'm with you all the way about the right to change my mind. But I am a little worried about all this talk about The Secret Challenge Overlords Alliance. I mean, are we really supposed to know about stuff like th
Who's scared of SCOA? I mean, how can you be scared of an acronym like that??? Until I see someone petting a fluffy white kitty, I'll talk about it all I want!

As for Dark Shadows, I saw that a couple weeks ago and wasn't that impressed. It was ok, but a little too cheesy for me and I like cheesy. A little too overdone, I thought. Very soap opera-y, which figures since it's based on one, but probably one of the few Johnny Depp movies I didn't like. There I admit it. I saw it for Johnny Depp.

My question though, is how forgiving are the SCOA's? I saw Avengers this afternoon (the only time I had to see it before my tickets expired). Can I count it since it had to be midnight somewhere in the world or do I have to skip it from my list? Pretty please can I include it? --I liked it and was glad I finally got a chance to see it. Only once spot did I go, that's CGI and it was with Captain America, not with Hulk. That's a pretty good average for one of these movies.
Old 06-29-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

11:31 PM by my comp, so 30 min till the challenge starts for me
Old 06-29-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who's scared of SCOA? I mean, how can you be scared of an acronym like that??? Until I see someone petting a fluffy white kitty, I'll talk about it all I want!

As for Dark Shadows, I saw that a couple weeks ago and wasn't that impressed. It was ok, but a little too cheesy for me and I like cheesy. A little too overdone, I thought. Very soap opera-y, which figures since it's based on one, but probably one of the few Johnny Depp movies I didn't like. There I admit it. I saw it for Johnny Depp.

My question though, is how forgiving are the SCOA's? I saw Avengers this afternoon (the only time I had to see it before my tickets expired). Can I count it since it had to be midnight somewhere in the world or do I have to skip it from my list? Pretty please can I include it? --I liked it and was glad I finally got a chance to see it. Only once spot did I go, that's CGI and it was with Captain America, not with Hulk. That's a pretty good average for one of these movies.
Sorry, can't count it. I have 3 hours to go and I'd love to start early but instead I'm watching some costume drama that I can't follow due to alcohol consumption. There's a lady, some guys in uniform and apparently Napoleon is somewhere. With the pace of the dialogue, for what it is, I'd say it's the equivalent of Gilmore's Girls, or whatever it's called, for whenever this movie came out. I'm not a girl, so I lack the skills to follow along.
Old 06-29-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, can't count it. I have 3 hours to go and I'd love to start early but instead I'm watching some costume drama that I can't follow due to alcohol consumption. There's a lady, some guys in uniform and apparently Napoleon is somewhere. With the pace of the dialogue, for what it is, I'd say it's the equivalent of Gilmore's Girls, or whatever it's called, for whenever this movie came out. I'm not a girl, so I lack the skills to follow along.
Alright, *sigh* can't blame me for giving it a shot!

What's the name of what you're watching? I doubt I'd watch it because even thought I am a girl, that is not my type of movie, but it sounds...interesting.

37 minutes to go for me!
Old 06-29-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Just noticed earlier today the bump in the start time, so I hadn't set up any first day viewing strategy. Went to the DVR at midnight looking for something easy I might catch and potentially delete later to free up space and end up with Robocop 2. While watching just now, I'm getting my list post set up and I copy/paste my list from last year over so I have the same formatting, etc. Last year's first title--Robocop 2. If this is going to become some kind of tradition, I'm going to have go with a better film.
Old 06-30-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright, *sigh* can't blame me for giving it a shot!

What's the name of what you're watching? I doubt I'd watch it because even thought I am a girl, that is not my type of movie, but it sounds...interesting.

37 minutes to go for me!
Becky Sharp, the long version. I'm pretty sure imdb has a link to it at archive.org but if they do, I'm not sure which version it is.

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Just noticed earlier today the bump in the start time, so I hadn't set up any first day viewing strategy. Went to the DVR at midnight looking for something easy I might catch and potentially delete later to free up space and end up with Robocop 2. While watching just now, I'm getting my list post set up and I copy/paste my list from last year over so I have the same formatting, etc. Last year's first title--Robocop 2. If this is going to become some kind of tradition, I'm going to have go with a better film.
I remember when that came out and I've always tried to like it but it's just not something I ever really got into. The only part I really like is when they're testing out the new Robocops.
Old 06-30-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I have the criterion version of the first Robocop, but I have never seen Robocop 2.
Old 06-30-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started Witches of Oz. Bit of a slow starter. Interesting though. Kind of a mix of the books, the main movies and something all of its own. I did pick a long one to start with! Oops, oh well, I don't have to get up early tomorrow.

So how do people usually do this? Do they review the movie here, just state that they're watching, just list it, all of the above? Any preference for one of these over another?

P.S. Would the TV show Special Unit 2 count as fantasy, urban fantasy specifically?

Last edited by LJG765; 06-30-12 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have the criterion version of the first Robocop, but I have never seen Robocop 2.
But if you've seen Robocop 3, then that's just sad.

I started Witches of Oz. Bit of a slow starter. Interesting though. Kind of a mix of the books, the main movies and something all of its own. I did pick a long one to start with! Oops, oh well, I don't have to get up early tomorrow.

So how do people usually do this? Do they review the movie here, just state that they're watching, just list it, all of the above? Any preference for one of these over another?
Whatever you like. If you want to blog it up, go for it.

I have about 30 minutes till I can start and 20 minutes still left of Becky Smart. Realistically, I'll get in 5-15 minutes of Ancient Aliens and then fall asleep. I won't be sad when this movie ends, I can't keep track of all the guys she's with.
Old 06-30-12, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I just finished The Monolith Monsters (love those Universal 50's sci-fi flicks). Time for bed.
Old 06-30-12, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever you like. If you want to blog it up, go for it.

I have about 30 minutes till I can start and 20 minutes still left of Becky Smart. Realistically, I'll get in 5-15 minutes of Ancient Aliens and then fall asleep. I won't be sad when this movie ends, I can't keep track of all the guys she's with.
Thanks for the answer! Hope you make it through the boring movie. I've never heard of it and now I know to avoid it! Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.