5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 06-28-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If you ever see it, you'll be sorry you heard of it.
I didn't think it was that bad. Greatest movie ever? No. But watchable. I was thinking about giving it a rewatch when I saw it on the list here, actually.
Old 06-28-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I didn't think it was that bad. Greatest movie ever? No. But watchable. I was thinking about giving it a rewatch when I saw it on the list here, actually.
The script deserved a director who understood the material and a star with some talent, charisma and a martial arts background. This film had neither. (By star, I mean the actor in the leading role, Jeff Cooper, who was a surfer by trade.)
Old 06-28-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The script deserved a director who understood the material and a star with some talent, charisma and a martial arts background. This film had neither. (By star, I mean the actor in the leading role, Jeff Cooper, who was a surfer by trade.)
Are we talking about the same Circle of Iron? I always think of David Carradine as the star of it. As someone who does not have a single graceful bone in her body, I love how he just flows when he does his martial art moves. I first saw him in Kung Fu: The Legend Continues and from there, hunted down movies he was in to watch. So, to me, him being in it makes it worth watching. Like I said earlier, I'm in no way making this out to be a great movie, but even in it's badness there is something that makes it watchable to me.

Anyone have any opinions on Battle Royale? I just got a copy from the library just in time for this challenge, and was wondering how good it actually is. I'm not a huge fan of gore, but read the book and wanted to see how the movie stacked up.
Old 06-28-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Anyone have any opinions on Battle Royale? I just got a copy from the library just in time for this challenge, and was wondering how good it actually is. I'm not a huge fan of gore, but read the book and wanted to see how the movie stacked up.
It's good and there's not much gore to speak of; plenty of blood though.
Old 06-28-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm just got my copy from Amazon and am planning to read it soon. I'm about done with Red Mars and need to finish A Game of Thrones which I started rereading a couple of months ago and keep getting distracted.

On the non-reading side, I'm really excited to start this challenge. Hoping to get through some television seasons!
Old 06-28-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are we talking about the same Circle of Iron? I always think of David Carradine as the star of it. As someone who does not have a single graceful bone in her body, I love how he just flows when he does his martial art moves. I first saw him in Kung Fu: The Legend Continues and from there, hunted down movies he was in to watch. So, to me, him being in it makes it worth watching. Like I said earlier, I'm in no way making this out to be a great movie, but even in it's badness there is something that makes it watchable to me.

RE: CIRCLE OF IRON - I remember the lackluster Jeff Cooper having the main role and David Carradine being in a supporting role. But I confess I haven't seen it since it first came out--33 years ago!

RE: BATTLE ROYALE - it opened here in New York last month in its belated theatrical premiere. I went to see it. It was the extended director's cut. I prefer the shorter cut which came out in 2000, which I've only seen on VHS.
I like the film a lot, although I liked it better when I originally saw it. It's definitely an important film, esp. in the context of its director's career, and as a critique of the extraordinary social, cultural and academic pressures placed on the youth of Japan. The director made the film as a response--some 55 years after the fact--to the way his generation (those too young to fight, but old enough to work) was treated by the military government during the war. He was 15 when the war ended.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-29-12 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-28-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

RThe director made the film as a response--some 55 years after the fact--to the way his generation (those too young to fight, but old enough to work) was treated by the military government during the war. He was 15 when the war ended.
Hmm, interesting. I hadn't heard that before. I know of the book because of the big "Hunger Games" controversy and when I bowed down to peer pressure and read that, I wanted to read Battle Royale as well to at least be able to weigh in on the topic. Battle Royale is a lot more complicated, I think, in many ways than Hunger Games. BR has a lot more violence for the sake of violence, partly because there are more kids to get rid of, but partly with how the children react as well. I can easily see the social commentary that the author was using but about 1/3 of the way through the book, I did get a little tired of all the killing. It definitely shares some themes with Hunger Games and while I don't know if I believe its author that she had never heard of BR before she submitted the book, there are a lot of other books with that same idea in it out there and she wrote her take on it.

But anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the movie plays out compared to the book and I think it qualifies for the alternate history category which I was having trouble thinking of a movie I wanted to watch for.
Old 06-28-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how he just flows when he does his martial art moves.
The flowing certainly stops dead when he speaks though - he always sounds like he's bored and/or stoned, which may very well be the case. I consider David Carradine as a more affable Chuck Norris, in terms of unchanging and indifferent line delivery.
Old 06-29-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those looking for viewing material, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) has dropped back to $9.99.
Old 06-29-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Less than 24 hours till the sci fi challenge starts and I am getting really excited. I may have dabbled a little in sci fi here and there to wet my appetite, but I have been holding off on sci fi for the most part till the challenge starts. Then it is on.
Old 06-29-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Less than 24 hours till the sci fi challenge starts and I am getting really excited.
Doesn't it begin tomorrow evening at midnight?
Old 06-29-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Doesn't it begin tomorrow evening at midnight?
It started out that way but then we changed it to start a day early, so we get a day of overlap with the Historical Appreciation challenge. So you have a day of time machine movies and Ancient Alien shows. Possibly some costume dramas that take place around the time of King Arthur but also include Merlin casting some spells. I think Sucker Punch might count since it's WWII but that movie was beyond awful and nobody should watch it.
Old 06-29-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, I think I'll go for Sword 'n' Sandal for the overlap or demonic ninjas from Feudal Japan.
Old 06-29-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Circle of Iron probably would have been better if Bruce Lee and/or McQueen/Coburn had co-starred in it as intended. Though I think Carradine's lazy vibe suits a martial arts teacher well.

And let me get this 100% straight...we are starting tonight? 6/29/2012 tonight?
Old 06-29-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It started out that way but then we changed it to start a day early, so we get a day of overlap with the Historical Appreciation challenge. So you have a day of time machine movies and Ancient Alien shows. Possibly some costume dramas that take place around the time of King Arthur but also include Merlin casting some spells. I think Sucker Punch might count since it's WWII but that movie was beyond awful and nobody should watch it.
time mchine, so The Time Tunnel might be good for the overlap?
Old 06-29-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, basically only documentaries and time travel films tomorrow?
Old 06-29-12, 12:27 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the much maligned, but never seen (by me) Alien 3 on tap to kick this mother off. I whet my sci-fi appetite this month by reading 11/22/63 (75% done). Pretty good tale so far.
Old 06-29-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm, I think I'll go for Sword 'n' Sandal for the overlap or demonic ninjas from Feudal Japan.
Completely forgot those two.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
And let me get this 100% straight...we are starting tonight? 6/29/2012 tonight?
Yes

Originally Posted by NoirFan
So, basically only documentaries and time travel films tomorrow?
Ash brought up the sword 'n' sandals and demon ninjas but there's also all the other martial art fantasies, which count as a checklist item for this challenge and also count as history films. I can't think of very many other types of things that count but that isn't to say they aren't out there.
Old 06-29-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
time mchine, so The Time Tunnel might be good for the overlap?
I'd think it would be just about perfect for overlap. There are only a few episodes that do not deal with or take place during some historic event.

The questionable episodes are:
One Way to the Moon
Secret Weapon
Visitors from Beyond the Stars
Chase Through Time
The Kidnappers
Town of Terror

All of those pretty much deal solely with events having to do with Time Tunnel issues/malfunctions or fictional stories with no ties to any historical event. That still leaves the bulk of the series. If I weren't starting with Ancient Aliens I'd consider using The Time Tunnel myself.
Old 06-29-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With those guidelines, this looks like my viewing schedule for tomorrow (subject to change, of course!)

Jason and the Argonauts
Mysterious Island
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
John Wyndham - Invisible Man of Science
Pioneers of Television - Science Fiction
Fantastic Voyage: The Evolution of Science Fiction
40 Years of Sci-Fi Television
Time After Time
The Time Machine
(1960)

Any other 50's recommendations that would fit?
Old 06-29-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does alternate history count for the history challenge? If so, there's one of the Planet of the Apes films where they travel back in time to right before they start to take over, if I'm remembering the plot right. Is that too much of a stretch? If not, then wouldn't Hellboy count?

If I'm too far out there with my thinking, my excuse is that I'm half asleep. I had a nice filling lunch and I'm about ready to crawl under my desk and take a nap.

A couple other things that do count are Puppet Master 3 and Puppet Master: Axis of Evil.
Old 06-29-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As the sci-fi documentaries are relatively short, I'll try to squeeze in a first-time viewing of The Philadelphia Experiment. Then, I've got a big stack of new Blu-rays to spin on Sunday.
Old 06-29-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

call me slow but i just noticed the start time changed but just making sure does this start tonight at midnight or tomorrow night at midnight
Old 06-29-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by terrycloth
call me slow but i just noticed the start time changed but just making sure does this start tonight at midnight or tomorrow night at midnight
I already solved that issue before it came up

Challenge Starts June 30th at 12:01 am
Old 06-29-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
...And let me get this 100% straight...we are starting tonight? 6/29/2012 tonight?
My month has been so busy with work it took your question to make me realize that June 30th is *tomorrow/Saturday*! I've been working all week thinking I'd be watching Ancient Aliens on Sunday! Gotta work out a whole new strategy... still have lots of stuff I wanted to watch the day before the overlap... arrrggghhhh!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.