DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 06-06-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Mister Peepers, I'm not sure how these things work, but you might want to ask Family Video or Shout Factory if they'd like to sponsor the challenge, as they're both advertisers on this site.
Good idea.

To everyone else making suggestions, I won't be able to update checklists and add links until this weekend. Don't feel like I'm ignoring anyone.
Old 06-06-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm thinking of having a sci-fi horror theme on one of the days, any suggestions? I'm looking for 50's and 60's films specifically, and nothing involving oversized creatures:

These are on the slate so far:

It! The Terror from Beyond Space
Planet of Vampires
Queen of Blood
Here are a few I have in my collection. All have both sci-fi and horror designations at IMDB. There are lots more...

4D Man - 1959
The Alligator People - 1959
The Astounding She Monster - 1957
Attack of the Puppet People - 1958
Bride of the Monster - 1955
Brides of Fu Manchu - 1966
Creature from the Black Lagoon - 1954
Creature Walks Among Us - 1956
The Curse of Frankenstein - 1957
The Day the World Ended - 1955
Die, Monster, Die! - 1965
Donovan's Brain - 1953
The Evil of Frankenstein - 1964
The Fly - 1958
Frankenstein 1970 - 1958
Frankenstein Created Woman - 1957
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - 1969
The H-Man - 1958
How to Make a Monster - 1958
I Married a Monster From Outer Space - 1958
The Incredible Shrinking Man - 1957
Indestructible Man - 1956
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - 1956
Invisible Invaders - 1959
It! - 1967
The Last Man on Earth -1964
The Leech Woman - 1960
The Man from Planet X - 1951
The Man Who Could Cheat Death - 1959
Matango - 1963
The Mole People - 1956
Monster on the Campus - 1958
Panic in Year Zero! - 1962
Plan 9 from Outer Space - 1959
Return of the Fly - 1959
The Revenge of Frankenstein - 1958
Revenge of the Creature - 1955
Target Earth - 1954
The Thing from Another World - 1951
The Tingler - 1959
The Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye) - 1958
The War of the Worlds - 1953
The Wasp Woman - 1959
X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes - 1963
Old 06-06-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestions, I've seen and/or have copies of all of those, and will likely watch most next month! I suppose I should have been more specific - I'm looking for "scary" or atmospheric sci-fi/horror combos, in the vein of the three titles I listed. There are a few on that list that would qualify, all of which I like very much: I Married a Monster From Outer Space, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, The Crawling Eye (which I'm sure inspired Carpenter for a similar scene in The Fog, as he's made clear his love for the film, even recording a commentary track that I've been trying to track down online for ages).
Old 06-07-12, 12:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I suppose I should have been more specific - I'm looking for "scary" or atmospheric sci-fi/horror combos, in the vein of the three titles I listed. There are a few on that list that would qualify, all of which I like very much: I Married a Monster From Outer Space, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, The Crawling Eye (which I'm sure inspired Carpenter for a similar scene in The Fog, as he's made clear his love for the film, even recording a commentary track that I've been trying to track down online for ages).
One that wasn't on BobO'Link's list that I always thought was darned creepy is Fiend Without A Face. I think a lot has to do with the sound the beasties make and if I recall it has a pretty nice build up.

I thought The Man From Planet X was super creepy when I was a kid but I haven't seen it for quite a while. I remember a lot of fog and one scene in particular when we first see the visitor -- scared the crap out of me.
Old 06-07-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by popcorn
I think I'm going to focus on a sci-fi show I've never seen before for this challenge: Battlestar Galactica. I hear Starbuck is a woman...
Maybe you are being facetious popcorn and you are a huge fan who's really watching it for the umpteenth time...but I only recently discovered this series myself (literally like last month) and was BLOWN AWAY. Show is awesome, I converted my wife to watching it and now I re-watch it whenever she happens to be viewing.

I am five to seven years late to everything, apparently.
Old 06-08-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by omike
I thought The Man From Planet X was super creepy when I was a kid but I haven't seen it for quite a while. I remember a lot of fog and one scene in particular when we first see the visitor -- scared the crap out of me.
I've always been a great admirer of Edgar G. Ulmer - he consistently created quality films on minuscule budgets.
Old 06-08-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just received my first new title for the challenge: The Day IT Came to Earth directed by Harry Thomason (yep, of Mozark productions "fame"). It is apparently his sole attempt at Sci-Fi. From what I've read it's a good thing...

According to AllMovie:
This could have been campy, '50s-style fun in more competent hands; instead, we get bored silly with a lot of talking heads, unimaginative monster mayhem, turgid pacing, and pathetic attempts at humor.
I can hardly wait!
Old 06-09-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I'll be set for the challenge. I recently bought the set of the Land of the Giants complete series. I won a copy of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Season 2 Volume 2, I have weekly eps of Lost in Space, bought Lost in Space seasons 1 and 3, have Time Tunnel, all Gamera movies made, the box set of the MST3K Gamera movies, and 2 MC sets of sci fi B Movies. So I'm all ready, and chomping at the bit already.
Old 06-10-12, 08:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

FWIW, I've been working on the Challenge Compendium again and here is the hopefully complete history of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge. Please let me know if I screwed anything up or missed anything.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenges (July)

Year
Discussion Threads
List Threads
Results Thread
Number
Winner
lists
Trevor
discussion
Shellebelle
discussion
lists
gfoots
discussion
tarfrimmer
2012insert thread linksinsert thread linkinsert #insert DVDTalker
2013insert thread linksinsert thread linksinsert thread linkinsert #insert DVDTalker
Old 06-11-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would documentaries on aliens and UFOs count, like Ancient Aliens or UFO Hunters, or would they be more science fact?
Old 06-11-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Would documentaries on aliens and UFOs count, like Ancient Aliens or UFO Hunters, or would they be more science fact?
All a matter of how close you hew to the prejudices of mainstream science. In my book, those subjects are science fact. To most, if not all, scientists and journalists, science fiction.

"Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here!"
Old 06-11-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
All a matter of how close you hew to the prejudices of mainstream science. In my book, those subjects are science fact. To most, if not all, scientists and journalists, science fiction.

That's why I asked, because to me they are more like science fact Ash, but I wanted to get another opinion. No biggie, I'm set with my Irwin Allen, and Gamera movies.
Old 06-11-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

I see it the same way. That means I can "legally" break out that Ancient Aliens - S1 set I picked up from Target for $5 and watch it this month.

**EDIT**

Wait a minute... wrong thread!! I thought I was reading the Historical Challenge thread! Considering how I feel about this subject I'll have to watch during the Historical Challenge *not* the Sci-fi/Fantasy one!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-11-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought only documentaries that pertained specifically to sci-fi or fantasy films or television shows counted.
Old 06-11-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought only documentaries that pertained specifically to sci-fi or fantasy films or television shows counted.
I thought I had it in the rules but I'm allowing UFOs/Aliens/Bigfoot/Bermuda Triangle/Ghosts/Faries/etc under the Coast 2 Coast Provision of 2011. Some lean more towards sci-fi while others go to fantasy.

Documentaries on sci-fi or fantasy films/tv shows that count are also fine, as long as they aren't the dumb stuff that's some 15 minute fluff piece they showed on HBO where all the actors say how great the movie was to be in.

Before anyone asks, all episodes of MST3K count.

In other news, Hamilton Book has offered up Frankenhooker as a prize.
Old 06-11-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 451 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I thought I had it in the rules but I'm allowing UFOs/Aliens/Bigfoot/Bermuda Triangle/Ghosts/Faries/etc under the Coast 2 Coast Provision of 2011. Some lean more towards sci-fi while others go to fantasy.
I thought it was in the rules too. I know I watched and listed a couple of UFO shows/documentaries during previous SF Challenges, so I must've gotten the idea they counted from somewhere.
Old 06-11-12, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously? I've got a shot at this one this one. I've been re-watching MST3K at a pace that could be considered bordering on obsessive.
Old 06-12-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice, I ordered a box set of all the MST3K Gamera films.
Old 06-12-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Officnally made my to watch list for the challenge last night. Besides what I can find on netflix, blockbuster online, and tv, I will be watching the Irwin Allen shows, all the Gamera movies, and MST3K gamera films, and movies from my MC sets.
Old 06-13-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding the classic Universal stuff - I assume that any film featuring the Frankenstein Monster, The Creature From the Black Lagoon, and/or a mad scientist would count, but would the Mummy films fit under the Fantasy banner?
Old 06-14-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to Wal-Mart I'm now overloaded for Sci-fi! They have a 2-pack bundle of the Mill Creek 50 film sets: Sci-Fi Classics & Sci-Fi Invasion for $17.96 + tax. I've almost purchased each of these in the past from Amazon. I've not yet attempted to see how many of the flims I already own on other sets. Hopefully not too many as there are several on these sets I'd like to see - bad quality or not.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-14-12 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-14-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding the classic Universal stuff - I assume that any film featuring the Frankenstein Monster, The Creature From the Black Lagoon, and/or a mad scientist would count, but would the Mummy films fit under the Fantasy banner?
imdb lists it as Fantasy. Go for it.
Old 06-14-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, this will give me a chance to watch all of the sequels I've never seen - maybe I'll program a whole day of mummies, Lagoon creatures, and Frankenstein's monsters, if it doesn't melt my mind.
Old 06-15-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to update the OP tomorrow and announce more prizes. My wife and kids are once again out of the country and I'm free of them until August.
Old 06-16-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Planning to take a day's break from the historical challenge to watch a little sci fi today to satisfy my sci fi hankerin in anticipation of the sci fi challenge. May watch Lost In Sace on tv tonight, and plan to watch one of my Lost in Space eps from Season 3, one of my Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea eps, and one of the movies from my Sci Fi Invasion set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.