Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 06-02-12, 05:55 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

I wouldn't mind seeing the X/NC-17 rating removed from the checklist. I'm trying to spend all of my time watching new watches now and if you have done this a few times it is hard to come up with a new one (unless you want to watch erotica and then there are a ton but some of us (one of us?) doesn't watch those).
Old 06-02-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I wouldn't mind seeing the X/NC-17 rating removed from the checklist. I'm trying to spend all of my time watching new watches now and if you have done this a few times it is hard to come up with a new one (unless you want to watch erotica and then there are a ton but some of us (one of us?) doesn't watch those).
I feel your pain and am willing to make that one optional. I'm sure it also helps for those that still live at home with parents. Might be somewhat embarrassing to have them walk in while someone is watching Sperm Trek.
Old 06-02-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Here are a few actors for consideration:

Bruce Campbell
Donald Sutherland
Jeff Goldblum
Sigorney Weaver

I *really* wanted to include former first lady Nancy Regan (aka Nancy Davis) but the only sci-fi she did was Donovan's Brain.

I had several from the 50s but was surprised that many of those on my initial list did *few* Sci-fi films. One specifically was Gloria Talbot. I'd have sworn she did almost as many sci-fi films as John Agar but only saw 2-3 when looking at her IMDB filmography. The only thing I can figure is that most of the ones I was going to submit had somewhat iconic parts in the genre film(s) in which they appeared which makes them stand out.
Old 06-03-12, 07:49 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Does anyone have any sci-fi Blu-rays or DVDs on order or ones that they plan on buying for the challenge? I've pre-ordered the UK disc of Things to Come, Colossus of New York, The Space Children, and Project X, plus Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Monkey with a Sword Dancing Around once they're released in July. Mister Peepers, would the NOES films count under the Fantasy banner? I remember asking a couple of years ago, but I forget what your ruling was.
I picked up a Sonny Chiba 4 pack on Thursday for the Sci-Fi challenge. I guess I still had the Action/Adventure challenge on the brain but it has G.I. Samurai, Ninja Wars and Legend of the Eight Samurai which all qualify and look pretty good. G.I. Samurai looks like a good way to watch a time travel movie that is hopefully a little different from the others. I also picked up an animated Flash Gordon VHS tape for the animated portion of the checklist.
Old 06-03-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
One specifically was Gloria Talbot. I'd have sworn she did almost as many sci-fi films as John Agar but only saw 2-3 when looking at her IMDB filmography.
She was in four:

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (a classic!)
The Leech Woman
The Cyclops
Daughter of Dr. Jekyll

I always thought she was super cute, especially as the earnest (but shallow) budding psychologist in All That Heaven Allows.
Old 06-03-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

I notice you have "Coast to Coast" listed under the Sci-fi Fantasy/Radio part of your checklist. I'm sorry, but that show shouldn't be eligible in a challenge like this because it's science fact, not fiction.
Old 06-03-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Does anyone have any sci-fi Blu-rays or DVDs on order or ones that they plan on buying for the challenge? I've pre-ordered the UK disc of Things to Come, Colossus of New York, The Space Children, and Project X, plus Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Monkey with a Sword Dancing Around once they're released in July. Mister Peepers, would the NOES films count under the Fantasy banner? I remember asking a couple of years ago, but I forget what your ruling was.
Sci-Fi is my 100% favorite genre and am always looking for/purchasing new titles, especially those from the 50s/60s. While none are purchased *specifically* for the challenge I tend to try to save them up for the challenge unless it's one I've been itching to see/see again. However, it looks like I may be placing a smallish order from DD for some SF titles I've had my eye on as the current pricing (with coupon) is about as good as I've seen on those few titles. You could say those are being purchased specifically for the challenge...
Old 06-03-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking I'll definitely need to check out Total Recall (1990) for the first time in advance of the remake.

May also watch the Star Wars prequels, as I've only seen Phantom Menace when it was in theatres (and saw it before I saw the original trilogy).
Old 06-03-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Thinking I'll definitely need to check out Total Recall (1990) for the first time in advance of the remake.

May also watch the Star Wars prequels, as I've only seen Phantom Menace when it was in theatres (and saw it before I saw the original trilogy).
Total Recall is a lot of fun, I hope you enjoy it. You might consider reading the original short story before the remake hits theaters. The Star Wars prequels are interesting. I'm planning to watch Voyager for the Sci-Fi Challenge this year. Gotta finish DS9 first though.
Old 06-03-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

I haven't talked with anyone about prizes but at the very least, I have a copy of Troll I can offer.
I was gonna offer in any case but now I feel duty bound to to save someone from Troll.

Shoot me a PM when you are ready Mister Peepers.
Old 06-03-12, 07:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I was gonna offer in any case but now I feel duty bound to to save someone from Troll.

Not sure what I'll do next month. I'll be training someone at work, so no downtime there, which usually generates a bunch of my viewing. I've been jonesing for DS9 for quite awhile, so unless I find something the wifey may get into more than that, I'll try to finish a couple seasons of DS9.
Old 06-03-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Not sure what I'll do next month. I'll be training someone at work, so no downtime there, which usually generates a bunch of my viewing. I've been jonesing for DS9 for quite awhile, so unless I find something the wifey may get into more than that, I'll try to finish a couple seasons of DS9.
I'm thinking I may do some Irwin Allen next month. I have The Time Tunnel to finish that I never finished during the Action/Adventure Challenge, and I'll also have a set of VTTBOTS, and every Saturday night on a local tv station Lost in Space airs.
Old 06-04-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's a few suggestions for the checklist (mostly fantasy; some movies included to be helpful):

Maggie Cheung:
The Iceman Cometh (1989)
The Mad Monk (1993)
Green Snake (1993) * (has recent remake)
The Heroic Trio (1993)
Executioners (1993)

Joey Wang:
A Chinese Ghost Story (1987) * (has recent remake)
A Chinese Ghost Story II (1990)
A Chinese Ghost Story III (1991)
Picture of a Nymph (1988)
Kung Fu Vs. Acrobatic (1990)
An Eternal Combat (1991)

Stephen Chow:
The Mad Monk (1993)
A Chinese Odyssey Part One - Pandora's Box (1995) * (has a recent pseudo remake)
A Chinese Odyssey Part Two - Cinderella (1995)
Shaolin Soccer (2001)
Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
CJ7 (2008)
Old 06-05-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has this thread got anyone else jonesin to watch some sci fi pre sci fi challenge yet? I'm already jonesin for some sci fi myself.
Old 06-05-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Has this thread got anyone else jonesin to watch some sci fi pre sci fi challenge yet? I'm already jonesin for some sci fi myself.
I'm one of them - though it's more due to Prometheus that I'm working through the Alien 9 disc box set in anticipation of seeing the movie at the cinema
Old 06-05-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched Forbidden Planet yesterday - I'd recently purchased the double issue of Cinefantastique devoted to it from 1979, which is incredibly detailed. There's no audio commentary on the Blu-ray, so the extensive info in the magazine will have to do.
Old 06-06-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I'm going to focus on a sci-fi show I've never seen before for this challenge: Battlestar Galactica. I hear Starbuck is a woman...
Old 06-06-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Sci-fi/fantasy is as much of my backlog as anything. I might try to finally see Alien 3 and 4 from my UK set, or The Fly/Fly II, or some TV.
Old 06-06-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just bought the series set of Land of the Giants and am now watching the pilot episode, not the unaired pilot, but the one that was aired., "The Crash"
Old 06-06-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to dedicate this year to the B-flicks of the 50s. From a salute to Mara Corday to a Giant Critterthon. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-06-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

With Ray Bradbury's passing, there should be some attention in this challenge paid to works based on his writing.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001969/

I'd highlight the high-profile features I know of that are based on his work:

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)
THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953)
FAHRENHEIT 451 (1966)
THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (1969)
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (1983)

I'd also recommend the the "Martian Chronicles" miniseries from 1980.

Others among you can recommend other TV works of his, I'm sure.
Old 06-06-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
With Ray Bradbury's passing, there should be some attention in this challenge paid to works based on his writing.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001969/

I'd highlight the high-profile features I know of that are based on his work:

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)
THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953)
FAHRENHEIT 451 (1966)
THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (1969)
SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES (1983)

I'd also recommend the the "Martian Chronicles" miniseries from 1980.

Others among you can recommend other TV works of his, I'm sure.
I own a copy of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
Old 06-06-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mister Peepers, I'm not sure how these things work, but you might want to ask Family Video or Shout Factory if they'd like to sponsor the challenge, as they're both advertisers on this site.
Old 06-06-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course. I still have S4 of Wild Wild West awaiting a viewing. It has just enough sci-fi trappings to satisfy that jonesin *and* still qualify as a western for the Historical Challenge. It's possible that I'll work in some episodes and finish up with it for some double list qualification action.

I just placed a few orders for some 50s "B" sci-fi titles I've had my eye on for a while. Must have "new" stuff for the challenge!
Old 06-06-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking of having a sci-fi horror theme on one of the days, any suggestions? I'm looking for 50's and 60's films specifically, and nothing involving oversized creatures:

These are on the slate so far:

It! The Terror from Beyond Space
Planet of Vampires
Queen of Blood

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.