DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've always enjoyed The Wasp Woman and would be thrilled if it could get a restoration treatment or even a release made from a better print. But being a Corman PD title there's probably little hope.

So are you finding that many of the titles on that set are truly horrible (not quality wise but really "bad" films)? I've been surprised at how many of the films I know I'll never re-watch. I'm hoping the "Sci-Fi Invasion" set will be a bit better.
I've been watching films from that set. What happens is, I bring some discs in it to my office to try to watch while working. But if it's really bad, I stop and start another one. I just have no patience with some things anymore. Last Friday, I started PHANTOM FROM SPACE, THE SNOW CREATURE, WHITE PONGO and VOYAGE TO THE PLANET OF PREHISTORIC WOMEN, in that order, and just had no patience for either of them. So I settled on THE LOST JUNGLE (1934), but only because it had plenty of actual footage of Clyde Beatty working on-camera in real time with a ton of big cats. Silly movie, but the animal taming footage and the occasional real fights between some of them were amazing. (Where was PETA when we needed them?)

On another day, I tried ASSIGNMENT OUTER SPACE, GIANTS OF ROME and ROCKY JONES: CRASH OF THE MOONS. I'll get back to GIANTS OF ROME one of these days.

Also from this set, I've watched the following in their entirety for this challenge: FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS, PHANTOM PLANET and PLANET OUTLAWS (feature compilation of BUCK ROGERS serial). Those are recommended.

I've watched others for other challenges and definitely recommend UNKNOWN WORLD.

I prefer the somewhat similar Leech Woman, but I've always been irrationally partial to Coleen Gray.
Coleen Gray is in PHANTOM PLANET, along with Anthony Dexter, who once played Valentino; Francis X. Bushman, who was a silent film star who was a contemporary of Valentino; and Dean Fredericks, who played comic strip hero Steve Canyon on TV.
Old 07-12-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I may be over thinking this, but what are some films people use for the alternate history check?
I watched some awful film with Bruce Campbell where a time traveler saved the Kennedys.
Old 07-12-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Friday the 13th Bonus Day!!!

I just realized Friday the 13th is tomorrow. As a token of appreciation, Jason X will be worth 2 points. The Friday the 13th TV series will also be worth double points an episode.

In addition, the rest of the series, with the exception of the first, would normally be ok* if you used a wild card. For tomorrow, you can spend one wild card token and watch all Friday the 13th films you want, with the exception of the first**. Freddy vs Jason is also allowed.

All films and TV episodes must be started and finished between midnight and 11:59pm, Friday the 13th (local time) for bonuses to count.

*in that Jason could be considered a creature of fantasy
** It was a regular human killer in the first film as well as part 5. 5 is being allowed because in the novelization of 6, it implies that the killer was being directed by Jason from beyond the grave which is the type of thing that could count as a paranormal possession and counts as sci-fi. If you really want to watch the first one, go ahead but don't plan on counting it.
Old 07-12-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I watched some awful film with Bruce Campbell where a time traveler saved the Kennedys.
Which one? I love Bruce Campbell--even in his awful roles!

I ended up watching Return of the Killer Tomatoes which was worse than I remembered. I have it because of Anthony Starke, George Clooney and John Astin. I like some of the eye candy but forgot how misogynist it really is. Not unusual for this kind of movie, but all the bouncing, half naked breasts got to me this time. At least the half naked men soldiers at the end sort of made up for it. At times I like how they break the fourth wall but at times, it does go over the top.

@Trevor--the Back to the Future date is a hoax; it's actually sometime in 2015, which is close but not this year. Someone photoshopped it and it's been going around the last couple weeks.
Old 07-12-12, 03:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

@Trevor--the Back to the Future date is a hoax; it's actually sometime in 2015, which is close but not this year. Someone photoshopped it and it's been going around the last couple weeks.
Sweet! So consider my apology a reminder instead. Someone bump this post in 3 years.
Old 07-12-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which one? I love Bruce Campbell--even in his awful roles!
Timequest. The movie is a perfect example of the minimum required to get a known name into a film, so they can advertise it. In the 5 minutes he's in it, none of his scenes really have anything to do with the main story, nor does he interact with the rest of the cast in anyway. It's basically a couple of scenes with him ham fisted into the film.
Old 07-12-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've been watching films from that set. What happens is, I bring some discs in it to my office to try to watch while working. But if it's really bad, I stop and start another one. I just have no patience with some things anymore.
I just can't bring myself to do that if it's something I've purchased. I'll suffer through to the end *once* and vow to never watch it again.
Last Friday, I started PHANTOM FROM SPACE, THE SNOW CREATURE, WHITE PONGO and VOYAGE TO THE PLANET OF PREHISTORIC WOMEN, in that order, and just had no patience for either of them. So I settled on THE LOST JUNGLE (1934), but only because it had plenty of actual footage of Clyde Beatty working on-camera in real time with a ton of big cats. Silly movie, but the animal taming footage and the occasional real fights between some of them were amazing. (Where was PETA when we needed them?)
I thought Phantom from Space wasn't too bad, although those other 3... phew! Watching Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women back to back made me appreciate Prehistoric Planet a bit more but they have me wanting to see Planeta Bur, the Soviet film Corman chopped up to make them. There's a release from someone called "Video Dimensions" that looks to be a pretty good copy. At least the stills on amazon have good color and appear to be WS - but the description doesn't mention that and it's a bit more than I typically like to spend. I like many of the early foreign SF efforts so we'll see...

Yeah, those scenes with Beaty and the animals *are* amazing.
On another day, I tried ASSIGNMENT OUTER SPACE, GIANTS OF ROME and ROCKY JONES: CRASH OF THE MOONS. I'll get back to GIANTS OF ROME one of these days.
Rocky Jones is better viewed as the TV episodes. Even then you *really* need to get into the mindset of a 50s 8-10 year old male to fully enjoy them. There's a "Classic Sci-Fi TV - 150 Episodes" set from Mill Creek that has 23 of the 39 episodes in good transfers. If you enjoy vintage Sci-Fi TV fare that set has *lots* of entertainment value with mostly good to very good transfers. It also has 3 full serials, Phantom Empire, Radar Men From the Moon, and Undersea Kingdom with very good transfers.
Also from this set, I've watched the following in their entirety for this challenge: FIRST SPACESHIP ON VENUS, PHANTOM PLANET and PLANET OUTLAWS (feature compilation of BUCK ROGERS serial). Those are recommended.

I've watched others for other challenges and definitely recommend UNKNOWN WORLD.
I agree on all of those. I've had The DEFA Sci-Fi Collection in my "wishlist" for a while simply to get a copy of Silent Star, the film that was recut and dubbed to make First Spaceship on Venus. Image has a good quality WS, although *not* anamorphic, version of First Spaceship. It's not "great" but it's far superior to all those faded FS versions floating around. Both Image and Legend have good copies of Phantom Planet. The Legend one has both B/W and a colorized one. They did a good job on the color although I typically watch the B/W.
Old 07-12-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow is an excellent excuse for me to finally get around to watching Friday the 13th - Part 3 in my Netflix Instant queue. Heck - maybe I'll throw it on at midnight tonight.
Old 07-12-12, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally saw Blade Runner (1982) for the first time. Watched the Final Cut version. Which do you all prefer?
Old 07-12-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gp1086
Tomorrow is an excellent excuse for me to finally get around to watching Friday the 13th - Part 3 in my Netflix Instant queue. Heck - maybe I'll throw it on at midnight tonight.
I might watch X but I also have the tv series I haven't busted open yet. USPS on the other hand did bust a couple of them open because deep discount didn't pad it worth a damn, so the case was all messed up. It's also a clear case, so it wasn't something I had on hand to replace it with.
Old 07-12-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't have Jason X, but I have the rest of the F13 movies including Freddy v Jason, so I may watch a couple of them tomorrow.
Old 07-12-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally saw Blade Runner (1982) for the first time. Watched the Final Cut version. Which do you all prefer?
"The Final Cut", followed closely by the 1992 "Director's Cut".

If you've not done so you should read the basis for the film, Phillip K. Dick's novel, "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?".
Old 07-12-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"The Final Cut", followed closely by the 1992 "Director's Cut".

If you've not done so you should read the basis for the film, Phillip K. Dick's novel, "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?".
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-12-12, 08:41 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched Another Earth, not a bad concept, little slow, but compelling. And this is not listed as Sci-Fi on IMDB????
Old 07-12-12, 08:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I watched "The Jacket" from 2005 which I thought was very interesting. I believe Men In Black 3 would also qualify but I am not certain as I haven't seen it yet.

A Sound of Thunder is what I'm using.
Old 07-12-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Watched Another Earth, not a bad concept, little slow, but compelling. And this is not listed as Sci-Fi on IMDB????
Imdb is sometimes defective like that.
Old 07-12-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Friday the 13th Bonus Day!!!

I just realized Friday the 13th is tomorrow. As a token of appreciation, Jason X will be worth 2 points. The Friday the 13th TV series will also be worth double points an episode.

In addition, the rest of the series, with the exception of the first, would normally be ok* if you used a wild card. For tomorrow, you can spend one wild card token and watch all Friday the 13th films you want, with the exception of the first**. Freddy vs Jason is also allowed.

All films and TV episodes must be started and finished between midnight and 11:59pm, Friday the 13th (local time) for bonuses to count.

*in that Jason could be considered a creature of fantasy
** It was a regular human killer in the first film as well as part 5. 5 is being allowed because in the novelization of 6, it implies that the killer was being directed by Jason from beyond the grave which is the type of thing that could count as a paranormal possession and counts as sci-fi. If you really want to watch the first one, go ahead but don't plan on counting it.
Sweet!
Old 07-13-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Have gotten off to a lame start in the challenge but starting a Harry Potter marathon to get things going
Old 07-13-12, 01:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer the theatrical version. The narration seems to be unpopular, but for me it efficiently explained this world, while also effectively conveying the mid-1940s (I thought 1946 when I first saw it) noir atmosphere underlying the sci-fi.

The version that I watched most recently was the Final Cut. I don't find Scott tinkering with his work any more appealing then when Lucas or Spielberg do the same.
Old 07-13-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Ugh. I watched Dinosaur Island last night.

The minute I saw the Fred Olen Ray credit, I should have hit stop. But I didn't. I guess I deserved it.

Last edited by GoldenWheels; 07-13-12 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-13-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Started my Land of the Giants set last night with the first episode, The Crash. Also watched another movie from the Sci Fi classics set yesterday afternoon, Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet.
Old 07-13-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. I should probably add that reportedly neither Ridley Scott nor screenwriter David Peoples actually read Dick's novel.
Old 07-13-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ororama
...I don't find Scott tinkering with his work any more appealing then when Lucas or Spielberg do the same.
But Scott *didn't* "tinker" with Blade Runner like Lucas and Spielberg did. Scott was briefly fired from the production shortly after principal photography wrapped. Executive producers Jerry Perenchio and Bud Yorkin of Tandem Productions stepped in and took over the editing of the project themselves. They *did* rehire Scott but retained artistic control. Following two disastrous preview screenings of the work print, which the audience claimed was difficult to understand, Yorkin and Perenchio decided to record an explanatory voice over and add a happy ending. Scott was not necessarily against the idea of a voice over, but he had wanted a voice over with Deckard musing philosophically on the implications of his actions. The producers insisted on the explanatory voice over. So the "Director's Cut" is more what Scott wanted from the outset but was unable to achieve due to meddling from the producers. The "Final Cut" was simply cleaning up and/or correcting inconsistencies that existed in both the "Theatrical" and "Director's" cuts of the film with a *few* visual effects added to enhance certain shots.
Old 07-13-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

You're welcome. I should probably add that reportedly neither Ridley Scott nor screenwriter David Peoples actually read Dick's novel.
No point letting the plot of the novel you're adapting get in the way of the story you're writing.
Old 07-13-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
No point letting the plot of the novel you're adapting get in the way of the story you're writing.
Ain't that the truth!

The film title even comes from a *different* book. One called "The Bladerunner", written by Alan Nourse. Scott bought the rights to the title but not a screenplay based on the Nourse book. It had been written by William S. Burroughs who defined a blade runner as "a person who sells illegal surgical instruments".

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-13-12 at 10:03 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.