DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars on DVD OOP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Star Wars on DVD OOP?

Is Star Wars on DVD OOP?

I went to go sell my 6 Star Wars DVD's on eBay. I kept disc 2 from each of them (for the prequel bonus material missing on the Blu-ray set, and the OOT DVD's for the other), so I was only selling Disc 1 of each movie. I expected to get something like $20 for it. Imagine my surprise as bidding soared over $60.

I went to figure out what was going on, and I noticed that the sets or individual discs are no longer available for purchase on Amazon or Best Buy. And third-party prices for some of the sets have soared over $100. This must be recent too, because I couple weeks ago I was looking at prices to price my auction (I set it up a couple weeks before publishing it this week), and I don't remember them being this high.

Even though the Blu-ray set is available, I guess there's still a very high demand for it on DVD (kinda like Disney classics that go OOP).
Old 05-26-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Star Wars on DVD OOP?

DVD is the only way to get the OT before the special editions.
Old 05-27-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think all the DVDs are OOP and not just for the OT versions. The first box set with the Empire of Dreams disc still goes for decent money since it wasn't included on the Blus.
Old 05-28-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, my eBay auctions ended, and I sold a set of the 6 movies for $67, and a set of the 3 OT movies for $45. Mind you, these were all movie discs (Disc 1) only. I kept all the bonus discs.

I highly recommend selling now if you are thinking of getting rid of the DVD's. They could easily fund a Star Wars Blu-ray purchase.

Last edited by TheBang; 05-28-12 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Well, my eBay auctions ended, and I sold a set of the 6 movies for $67, and a set of the 3 OT movies for $47. Mind you, these were all movie discs (Disc 1) only. I kept all the bonus discs.
I hope you made this explicitly clear in the item description, or you're going to be in for some angry buyers and possibly negative feedback.
Old 05-28-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, it was explicitly stated in the item title, the description summary, and the detailed description of the contents. There's no way they can claim to not have had the opportunity to know what they were buying.

Over the past year or two of selling the DVD portion of BD/DVD combos, or DVD discs without the bonus disc 2, I've learned that some people are really just interested in the movie only, and don't care about the bonus features. Some of them don't even care about the case or artwork.

Last edited by TheBang; 05-28-12 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 08:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Wow. For that price maybe I'll sell all of mine the same way.
Old 05-28-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup, it was explicitly stated in the item title, the description summary, and the detailed description of the contents. There's no way they can claim to not have had the opportunity to know what they were buying.
You don't sell much online, do you

I sold this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Ulti...8262914&sr=1-1

and the lady said I misled her because she thought the third disc contained the third movie. The only thing I said in my description was that it was like new. The amazon description is what confused her, except I can't believe she bothered to look at anything but the picture in some blurry fashion.
Old 05-29-12, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The funny thing is I noticed over on Swap A DVD that The Phantom Menace seemed to be the first one to go OOP. Is there going to be a new generation bemoaning the pre-3D days of The Phantom Menace. If you go to Amazon, you'll see that TPM DVD commands higher prices used than many cult flicks. Dear lord, George has created a demand for TPM.
Old 05-29-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
DVD is the only way to get the OT before the special editions.
This, and I'd rather watch the crappy non anamorphic laser disc ports than the special editions. I will be hanging onto those DVDs like grim frackin death.

It does kind of blow me away ALL the sets seem to be in demand though. I discovered (to my horror) a few years ago that all I had was the gold cased full screen trilogy. So I went out and got the "good" set with both (widescreen) versions of all the movies and gave the fullscreen one to family who still had a 4:3 tv.

Now it is 120 on Amazon. Oi.
Old 05-29-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

OK... let's see. I have the Silver cased WS versions of the original trilogy which, on Amazon, are currently going for at least triple what I paid. Like many others, I picked up the SE editions to get the OT versions - paid $9/each *plus* got the lithographs from BB as well as the TPB insert for each. I'll keep 'em in spite of the current prices *and* I have a copy of TPM *new* in shrink wrap I got "free" from Kellogg's a few years back by sending some proofs off cereal boxes. Looks like I might be able to get a few $$ for it. Amazing!
Old 05-29-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the demand for these is rather amazing. The only thing I can think of that it compares to is the demand for Disney movies that are in the Vault.

You don't sell much online, do you
A fair amount, actually. And I've never had a "not as described" complaint filed against me yet. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-30-12, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen such an about-face regarding demand. 2 years ago DVD swapping sites had dozens, possibly hundreds, of people hoping to trade off their prequel DVDs. A year or two ago I reluctantly bought the 2-disc OT DVDs from Target when they were on sale for $10. The only reason I acquired most of these was because of Rifftrax. I guess I should be grateful I didn't grow up a Star Wars fan. As a THX-1138 fan, though, I can empathize with SW fans. That's one VHS I kept.
Old 05-30-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I noticed TPM shot up in price way back with the first release, back before they released the trilogy sets. I found it more odd back then. On the other hand, it would suck to not have part 1 of a 6 movie series.
Old 05-30-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
The funny thing is I noticed over on Swap A DVD that The Phantom Menace seemed to be the first one to go OOP. Is there going to be a new generation bemoaning the pre-3D days of The Phantom Menace. If you go to Amazon, you'll see that TPM DVD commands higher prices used than many cult flicks. Dear lord, George has created a demand for TPM.

I thought about this a bit...someone explain it to me, because I am scratching my head so hard I am losing hair trying to figure out why there is a demand.

Smart folks want the OT, so they got the doubles set and drove up the price. That makes sense.

I get the idea that people will pick up a set for a doc not included anywhere else. Empire of Dreams example. Makes sense.

Why would the prequels gain collector value though? Won't the 3d Versions when released contain a 2d version as well? (Did they muck with them too or something? AND Actually make them worse? The idea of someone wanting a "pure" TPM experience boggles the mind) Was there some great supplemental material on them? Or is it just that they are the mystical designation of "oop"? I'm lost as to why anyone would ante up 50 bucks for TPM.
Old 05-30-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I thought about this a bit...someone explain it to me, because I am scratching my head so hard I am losing hair trying to figure out why there is a demand.

Smart folks want the OT, so they got the doubles set and drove up the price. That makes sense.

I get the idea that people will pick up a set for a doc not included anywhere else. Empire of Dreams example. Makes sense.

Why would the prequels gain collector value though? Won't the 3d Versions when released contain a 2d version as well? (Did they muck with them too or something? AND Actually make them worse? The idea of someone wanting a "pure" TPM experience boggles the mind) Was there some great supplemental material on them? Or is it just that they are the mystical designation of "oop"? I'm lost as to why anyone would ante up 50 bucks for TPM.
For TPM at least, there is a great hourlong or so documentary on the second disc that's been praised ever since it was released.

AOTC and ROTS also have some pretty good documentaries that weren't ported over to the Bluray set, plus a lot of the deleted scenes weren't carried over.
Old 05-30-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
For TPM at least, there is a great hourlong or so documentary on the second disc that's been praised ever since it was released.

AOTC and ROTS also have some pretty good documentaries that weren't ported over to the Bluray set, plus a lot of the deleted scenes weren't carried over.
Thanks, that at least makes sense! I know how SW fans can be about docs and stuff. Deleted scenes too. You gotta get it while it's out there.

Seeing TPM on DVD sell for 50$ almost makes me wish I had bought one originally. Only the stubborn fan in me kept me from doing it. As it turns out my silly self ended up buying the 6 movie BR anyway set because now I have kids into Star Wars.
Old 05-30-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I noticed TPM shot up in price way back with the first release, back before they released the trilogy sets. I found it more odd back then. On the other hand, it would suck to not have part 1 of a 6 movie series.
Yes, it did. When my completest side took over and I finally decided to pick up a used copy for "filler" it was going for $15-$25 *used*. I finally found one for just under $9 and purchased it. About 6-12 months later was when Kellogg's had their promotion and I got a new copy for box tops and a stamp. It's *very* tempting to sell that new copy and make back the money I wasted on the prequel films. Of course the completest in my won't allow me to sell them even though I'll probably never watch them again.
Old 05-30-12, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yes, it did. When my completest side took over and I finally decided to pick up a used copy for "filler" it was going for $15-$25 *used*. I finally found one for just under $9 and purchased it. About 6-12 months later was when Kellogg's had their promotion and I got a new copy for box tops and a stamp. It's *very* tempting to sell that new copy and make back the money I wasted on the prequel films. Of course the completest in my won't allow me to sell them even though I'll probably never watch them again.
I'm with you I think. No way I'm letting go of anything SW related unless the BDs have every special feature and the features are exactly the same.

So I already know that I'm keeping all of the disc 2s in the six SW sets I own. I'll probably keep the cases too, just for completest sake. I was about to sell the six movie only discs, but first want to make sure that there are no special features on them, and that they are the same "version" of the films on the BD set. Knowing Lucas, I imagine there is no way that they are the same though. So does the OCD monster in me need these DVD versions? Trying to convince myself that the answer is no.
Old 05-30-12, 04:37 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After seeing the prices of the DVDs and knowing that the DVDs are different (if that makes any sense with these movies now), I'm going gladly hold onto my multiple copies. With the medium of Blu ray, it's a same that Lucas didn't re-release everything again.
Old 05-30-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
So I already know that I'm keeping all of the disc 2s in the six SW sets I own. I'll probably keep the cases too, just for completest sake. I was about to sell the six movie only discs, but first want to make sure that there are no special features on them, and that they are the same "version" of the films on the BD set. Knowing Lucas, I imagine there is no way that they are the same though. So does the OCD monster in me need these DVD versions? Trying to convince myself that the answer is no.
All 6 Disc 1's have a commentary track, and that commentary track has been carried over to the Blu-ray.

The only other Disc 1 special feature is the "1138" easter eggs on the prequel discs only, which are not on the BD's (the "1138" easter egg for the OT is on the Empire of Dreams bonus disc, not the movie discs). On Eps 1 and 2, it's a blooper reel, and on Ep 3 it's some weird music video. I ripped these for myself before selling the movie discs.

As for the movie content themselves, there are additional tweaks on the BD's, compared to the 2004 DVD versions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lu-ray_edition
Old 05-31-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Or is it just that they are the mystical designation of "oop"?
"OOP" + spine numbers = uber-mystical. Think SW DVDs will reach the mystical proportions of OOP (or once-OOP) Criterions? Will TPM out-Salo Salo?

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
It's *very* tempting to sell that new copy and make back the money I wasted on the prequel films. Of course the completest in my won't allow me to sell them even though I'll probably never watch them again.
I say be incomplete.
Old 06-01-12, 09:09 AM

All 6 Disc 1's have a commentary track, and that commentary track has been carried over to the Blu-ray.

The only other Disc 1 special feature is the "1138" easter eggs on the prequel discs only, which are not on the BD's (the "1138" easter egg for the OT is on the Empire of Dreams bonus disc, not the movie discs). On Eps 1 and 2, it's a blooper reel, and on Ep 3 it's some weird music video. I ripped these for myself before selling the movie discs.

As for the movie content themselves, there are additional tweaks on the BD's, compared to the 2004 DVD versions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lu-ray_edition
Thanks Todd. Sigh. Guess I'm keeping them. But that's ok, now I don't have to buy the BDs.
Old 06-01-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
"OOP" + spine numbers = uber-mystical. Think SW DVDs will reach the mystical proportions of OOP (or once-OOP) Criterions? Will TPM out-Salo Salo?
It might...does it have a slipcover?
Old 06-05-12, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I would think we would be seeing a run on the Clone Wars DVDs.

The first Clone Wars series on the Cartoon Network, the one by Genndy Tartakovsky, has been unavailable for about five years now. These were only available on DVD for a short time before being allowed to slip out of print.

These can still be had relatively cheaply; I was able to purchase both volumes for under ten dollars a while back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.