Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-09-12, 01:58 PM   #1
coyoteblue

New DVD/BD copyright warning coming

Because customers aren't being sufficiently punished for buying legitimate goods. One is a combined FBI/ICE warning the other is a National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center 'educational', ie Big Media propaganda, notice. Both last for 10 seconds each. For all practical purposes an eternity.

More details at:

DVDs and Blu-rays will now carry two unskippable government warnings
Old 05-09-12, 02:03 PM   #2
milo bloom
DVD Talk Legend

Re: New DVD/BD copyright warning coming

Just more incentive for me to learn how to rip my own DVDs that I already paid for and put them on a hard drive so I don't have to look at this shit.

Spinehunting - picking up used Criterion DVDs.
Old 05-09-12, 02:21 PM   #3
Jedi Master 33
DVD Talk Special Edition

By "educate", I assume they mean annoy and piss off everyone else.
Old 05-09-12, 02:24 PM   #4
Lt. Brannigan
Cool New Member

I really do get tired of these things especially since I legally bought them in the first place. But I guess that makes me a potential pirate.
Old 05-09-12, 02:25 PM   #5
Groucho

1:47 in particular

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 05-09-12, 05:25 PM   #6
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I was going to say, what the hell does immigration have to do with movies but then realized they also do customs.
Old 05-10-12, 09:51 AM   #7
Regulus

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

IMHO we need to have the Copyright Laws OVERHAULED. There are many TV Series (such as Batman and The Wonder Years, among others) and Movies (Song of the South anyone?) the Studios REFUSE to release legitimately because of Legal FUBARs or "Political Correctness" Issues. As it stands now, most of us will be "Dust in the Wind" before these shows ever become Public Domain. People shouldn't have to turn to criminal acts just in order to see these shows. I'm for changing these laws so that the Copyright Period is 15 years, with ONE Extension for another 15 years allowed (At which time a Studio MUST License that product to a third-party Vendor). After that an item becomes Public Domain. What do all of you think?
Old 05-10-12, 10:52 AM   #8
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And just like before, pirates will never see this warning, only people who bought the disc.
Old 05-10-12, 11:25 AM   #9
mike07
Banned

They need to enforce a copyright warning on movies while they're in the theaters, IMO. And I don't mean a "Turn off All Cell Phones" message that some theaters put on before playing the movie, lol Why should the law abiding citizens who actually LEGALLY buy the movies be punished for doing so? At least allow us the capability of skipping over them.
Old 05-10-12, 11:29 AM   #10
yoshimi

Wait until the start putting "this scene was brought to you by __________" before each scene during the movie.
Old 05-10-12, 12:20 PM   #11
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
Wait until the start putting "this scene was brought to you by __________" before each scene during the movie.
With product placement, they kinda do.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-11-12, 04:32 AM   #12
junglalien
Banned

Old 05-11-12, 06:48 AM   #13
TerryW

It's really not that difficult to deal with all this stuff before the films start. Pop the disc in and hit the mute button then go do something else for five minutes like check you e-mail. When you get back, your disc should be waiting in menu mode. Sometimes it will auto-start the film but you can easily go back from there by chapter on your remote.

It's the same with commercials on video clips. Just mute it until it's over. They can't force us to watch their crap. We can always find a way to win.

If I want to see an ad, I'll go to YouTube and track it down. The more ads are shoved down my face, the more I'm gonna boycott their product.

I've been a big James Cameron fan since the first Terminator film but I hate Avatar and have zero interest in its sequels.

Gravity is an absolute piece of crap.
Old 05-11-12, 10:39 AM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nearly every movie in my collection of over 14,000 movies let's me skip trailers one way or another. Sitting a few seconds through an FBI warning is hardly as bad as some make it out to be.
Old 05-11-12, 11:42 AM   #15
brayzie
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That image of all the previews is pretty darn accurate.

I remember first buying DVDs, just a legal warning and then the menu. Recently after renting some dvd, it had unskippable, unfastforwardable commercials, ads and previews.
Old 05-11-12, 11:58 AM   #16
mike07
Banned

What I especially hate is when they put the previews/copyright warnings AFTER the menu. I tend to insert the DVD then go pop some popcorn and grab a cold beverage, giving time for the DVD to reach the menu to just hit play.
Old 05-12-12, 01:51 PM   #17
Mike86
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The warnings don't bother me so much it's more the unskippable trailers that annoy me. Luckily most don't do those now days.
Old 05-12-12, 02:24 PM   #18
Drexl
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryW View Post
It's really not that difficult to deal with all this stuff before the films start. Pop the disc in and hit the mute button then go do something else for five minutes like check you e-mail. When you get back, your disc should be waiting in menu mode. Sometimes it will auto-start the film but you can easily go back from there by chapter on your remote.

It's the same with commercials on video clips. Just mute it until it's over. They can't force us to watch their crap. We can always find a way to win.

If I want to see an ad, I'll go to YouTube and track it down. The more ads are shoved down my face, the more I'm gonna boycott their product.
Just wait until they start making these things interactive, like QTEs in videogames. With BD-J, they could set them up to each require a random key to be pressed to move on to the next one. You'd have to press the key within a time frame of a few seconds or the clip restarts.

I'm just glad I have the ability to, well, I can't talk about it here. I just hope they don't start adding these things to the film's title, I mean, in the same file like Criterion does with their logo.
Old 05-15-12, 04:09 PM   #19
Mabuse
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why are these even put on videos? The law is the law. These warning screens don't need to be present to prosecute someone for violating copyright.

Criterion doesn't put any FBI warnings on any of their DVD's, so obviously you don't HAVE TO put these warning screens on.
Old 05-15-12, 05:21 PM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You get more people seeing the law, and learning it exists, from films more people watch.
Old 05-15-12, 05:29 PM   #21
rw2516
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Why are these even put on videos?
To scare people.
Old 05-15-12, 06:13 PM   #22
Regulus

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
To scare people.
And they aren't doing it either. The ease in which someone can find bootleg materials is nothing short of incredible. I do not envy those who's jobs are to stop the distribution of pirated material. Their frustration levels must be equal to what Federal Agents had in the 1920s when Prohibition was in effect. Day after day they work their behinds off, make a few busts, only to have countless others take the place of those they arrested. It certainly has to be one of the most thankless jobs on the planet!
Old 05-16-12, 03:17 AM   #23
Boba Fett
DVD Talk Reviewer

On some players, can't you bring up title search before most of this pops up, press 1 and hit enter?
Old 05-17-12, 09:27 AM   #24
dvdjunkie32
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryW View Post

I just hit the chapter skip button on my remote and it goes right past the previews. I don't see what the big deal is. Use the chapter select option if you can't stand to watch 5 seconds past the FBI warning.
Old 05-17-12, 05:38 PM   #25
LJG765
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, but not every disc allows you to hit the chapter skip button. I have several that don't. A lot of those allow you to fast forward through the previews, but you still have to hit the button several times to get to the menu. I also have discs that don't allow fast forward, but most of those do allow chapter skip. I don't mind that so much as long as you are allowed to fast forward through them but by not being able to do so, you waste too much time.

I agree, it's worthless to preach to the choir. The people that see the warnings are not the ones that need them and are only being punished for a few people's crimes.
Sponsored Links