Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Have the studios quit shipping overstock to Big Lots stores?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have picked up a substantial part of my classic movie collection from Big Lots. Until recently, I found something new to add on almost every trip. Of late, it is beginning to appear (at least locally) that the stock of movies at Big Lots is no longer being replenished.

Have the studios quit the practice of sending their overstock to Big Lots?
Old 03-23-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Have the studios quit shipping overstock to Big Lots stores?

I think so. I've noticed it too.

Of course, if you look at retail, you'll also see a LOT fewer catalog DVDs being stocked. And I suspect that studios are also pressing fewer numbers and keeping their inventories in check better.

I think the Big Lots overstock that we've been celebrating for a couple of years was the industry adjusting to the new realities and now that adjustment is mostly in place. Now most studios have fewer catalog titles in print and most new ones are MOD DVD-Rs sold online.
Old 03-23-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I just think others are competing for that overstock.

And on another note, this is probably better suited for the store forum.
Old 03-23-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Or the Big Lots Finds thread where it's been discussed several times.
Old 03-23-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I think the studios are scaling back on physical media and trying to push the market towards streaming.

There was already an article abvout how Wal-Mart had a deal with VuDu where you bring in your catalogue of DVD discs and for $2 they'll "upload" them into the digital cloud which allows you to access your own titles over the internet. Not sure if that'll fly, but this seems to be the trend.
Old 03-23-12, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Wow, what a deal for all the sheep.... Take in a great quality DVD, and actually *pay* for the priviledge of getting a DRM'd low-bitrate, inferior 'streamed' version. No thanks, hope everyone sees through this scam.

Streaming is an EVIL ploy by the studios to get you to relinquish your physical produch which YOU have control over, to one which is a virtual product which THEY have control over.

The sheep must be 'educated' as to the truly nefarious nature of so-called streaming..
Old 03-24-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Well... the "sheep" already fell for it in the guise of MP3 music files and "actually *pay* for the priviledge of getting a DRM'd low-bitrate, inferior 'streamed' version" as compared to a CD/Vinyl. Why would they finally see the light with video? They are being driven to a subscription model for media delivery where you don't actually "own" anything but pay a monthly fee to access "everything" depending on your subscription tier - just like cable TV or phone service.
Old 03-24-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The bigger studios are just not sitting on the massive inventory levels they once had before the crash of the DVD market. Apparently in the boom years like 2004 or 2005 they were manufacturing as many as 100,000 copies of every single catalog DVD they produced, even movies of very marginal interest. Those marginal movies now are not being produced at all and successful catalog product sells much, much less than before.
Old 03-24-12, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
And on another note, this is probably better suited for the store forum.
My apologies. I am new to the forum, and didn't realize there was a "store forum".
Old 03-24-12, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Well... the "sheep" already fell for it in the guise of MP3 music files and "actually *pay* for the priviledge of getting a DRM'd low-bitrate, inferior 'streamed' version" as compared to a CD/Vinyl. Why would they finally see the light with video? They are being driven to a subscription model for media delivery where you don't actually "own" anything but pay a monthly fee to access "everything" depending on your subscription tier - just like cable TV or phone service.
I'm with you. I want something tangible. I still have a CD collection as well as my DVD collection. I only have cable because I live in an apartment, and I refuse to get satellite radio.

Isn't it bad enough when the companies keep switching media types, and expect you to buy the same music over and over? I have had some albums on vinyl, 8-track (showing my age), cassette, and CD.
Old 03-24-12, 03:30 PM

Was never overly impressed with the DVD selection at Big Lots. I found a few
titles at $3.00. Always pass on their $5.00 titles.

At $5.00 per title you will find a much bigger selection on Amazon.

As I posted in another thread, if you have any pawn shops near by,
they are worth checking out. $2.00 per DVD is the norm.

I keep looking at Craigslist out of habit, but for some reason it seems
like it has just died (atleast in my area).

--
Trading DVDs
Old 03-24-12, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
Was never overly impressed with the DVD selection at Big Lots. I found a few
titles at $3.00. Always
Actually, I found a good part of my collection at Big Lots. I collect classic movies, and found almost all the Astaire-Rogers movies, W.C. Fields, all the Busby Berkeley movies, a bunch of Greta Garbo movies, lots of film noir, lots of westerns. I'm really going to miss those $3 movies!!!!!
Old 03-31-12, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until Big Lots, I'd been concentrating mostly on TV series. That was several hundred films ago. But today there appears to be less product available and more competition, which suggests that prices are creeping up, too. That would also have an effect on BL's inventory. Now I try to keep track of the inventory everywhere, even at the mall and grocery stores. Never know what you'll find.

With the move to streaming, and excluding the most iconic films which (I hope) will continue getting the Blu-Ray treatment, my philosophy is to either buy it now or risk settling for a beaten up, "good" copy at Amazon Marketplace in the future. At some point, streaming may be a reasonable alternative, but today it seems more like an excuse for the studios to jerk you around.
Old 04-04-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Streaming is an EVIL ploy by the studios to get you to relinquish your physical produch which YOU have control over, to one which is a virtual product which THEY have control over.

The sheep must be 'educated' as to the truly nefarious nature of so-called streaming..
I think the studios are certainly regretting the "sell-through" pricing of their titles on DVD. That's why in the early days of VHS, titles were almost all strictly available as rentals. There were very few pre-recorded tapes in the hands of the average consumer.

The studios saw a market for owning movies and made a ton of profits. The trade-off is that they now realize they can't stop the incredibly large-scale piracy that is going on with the whole planet's easy access to the internet.
Old 04-05-12, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I loved getting movie deals st Big Lots but $3 cor a DVD isn't as great of a deal as it use to be. The OOP finds couldn't be beat.