Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do some people try to collect all titles from a studio?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-12, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious about people collecting movies from certain catalogs. I know some people try to buy all the Criterions but does anyone try to do this with say paramount or WB titles?
Old 03-16-12, 04:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Do some people try to collect all titles from a studio?

I really don't care that much about the studio. Whichever studio made the movie that I want to buy will benefit from my purchase. If it just so happens that one studio in particular made all the DVDs in the series of movies that I want to buy, then it will be mostly unintentional that I happened to buy all of them by that same studio. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 03-16-12 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could see it being done with Code Red, since they number theirs and there's not a whole lot out there. Plus they go OOP quickly and then prices shoot up. Even more so now that they lost their distributor and are considering just selling some of their more major titles through their website, which they still haven't setup yet.
Old 03-16-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I did this with Troma many years ago, but they have so so many shitty catalog titles that it killed the notion for me.
Old 03-16-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own every title Grindhouse put out, but that's not very hard.
Old 03-16-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full Moon Entertainment and Anchor Bay would be good ones to collect.
I can see some people trying to collect all the Disney labelled releases.
Old 03-16-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Kinda sorta...I own most of Blue Underground on dvd. There's a decent amount of them but it's doable, but I do avoid certain things in their line...no cannibal movies for me, thanks. So I am not as hardcore as some of the Criterion guys who buy everything just because it's Criterion.

Though not a studio but more of a line, I have (I think) all the Shout! Cormans on DVD or BR. They look nice all lined up on a shelf, as do the Blue Undergrounds with their consistent spine logos.

The big studios would be kind of a crazy target to try and get.
Old 03-16-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I did this with Troma many years ago, but they have so so many shitty catalog titles that it killed the notion for me.
On the plus side, most of those can be picked up for a buck or two but you could also throw that money out on lotto tickets and get more back for your money.
Old 03-16-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

In a state of temporary neurosis back in the VHS days I obsessed about getting all of the Warner titles from the summer of 1987 such as The Witches of Eastwick, Full Metal Jacket, Innerspace, Lost Boys, Who's That Girl & Disorderlies.

Luckily I made a full recovery shortly following the purchase of Who's That Girl and Disorderlies.
Old 03-16-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Not on DVD, but I do have every Blu-ray disc that Criterion, Blue Underground, and Synapse Films have put out.
Old 03-16-12, 11:56 PM

I own every catalog title (pre 1980) from Paramount, Columbia and MGM, most from Universal and WB...although with the Archive it's tough to keep up with WB now.
Old 03-17-12, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I got about the first dozen of the TCM Classics four-packs before stopping
Old 03-17-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I started getting a lot of the Studio Ghibli, just because they were Stuido Ghibli as most of what I bought I enjoyed. But there aren't a whole lot out there so it wasn't a big feat. I have a lot of the animated Disney, just missing a small handful, but I wouldn't want every Disney movie out there even though I'm a fan. Some of the movies just aren't that good and I'd rather buy something I enjoy than have something just to say I have it because it's from a certain studio.
Old 03-17-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I believe I have all of Ghibli as well.

When, in late 2002, Celestial Pictures started releasing remastered editions of movies from Hong Kong's Shaw Bros. studio made from the late '50s to the mid-80s, I began by going to the Chinatown stores and buying all the action and martial arts titles as they came out and then expanded into the musicals, Huangmei Operas, and literary adaptations. Eventually, once the stream ended in 2007, I began buying up as many as I could before they disappeared entirely. I now regret not buying more. I definitely wish I had them all. I believe I have about 90% of the total, though.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-27-12 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-17-12, 07:09 PM

I have all of the Dragon Dynasty releases except for the last two Flying Guillotine movies. Just waiting for a price drop.
Old 03-17-12, 08:11 PM
Cool New Member

I don't collect titles from any studio, but I do follow through with trying to collect actors.
Old 03-17-12, 10:44 PM

For awhile I was trying to collect all the Criterion and Dragon Dynasty titles, the spine numbers all lined up do look impressive. Becuase of my kids, I unintentionally collect all Disney titles.
Old 03-17-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I collected most of the Fox Film Noir series up to a point
Old 03-19-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess the closest for me is collecting all the Midnite Movie. I even double dip buying the double features and single features (and now I have to buy the quad features). Most of those movies aren't that good, but I grew up watching Saturday afternoon monster movies and I like the covers.

I also buy all Disney animation, even stuff I don't like --- like Peter Pan -- and I do keep old versions of these as well. I also will buy almost any older Disney live action movie, but I'm not very aggressive about it and will wait until I get them cheap.
Old 03-19-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I guess the closest for me is collecting all the Midnite Movie. I even double dip buying the double features and single features (and now I have to buy the quad features). Most of those movies aren't that good, but I grew up watching Saturday afternoon monster movies and I like the covers.
I wanted to collect those but by the time I wanted to start, there were a lot OOP and at prices I wasn't willing to pay. Then they seemed to not have as great of titles near the end, more sci-fi/comedy type stuff that I didn't care for.
Old 03-19-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I wanted to collect those but by the time I wanted to start, there were a lot OOP and at prices I wasn't willing to pay. Then they seemed to not have as great of titles near the end, more sci-fi/comedy type stuff that I didn't care for.
Some of these have been released like 4-film favorites, with 2 of the double features per case. I've seen them at Target for 9.99, but they don't appear to be on Amazon. Alot of the titles that were OOP have been reprinted and the prices on a lot of these titles has dropped significantly. You can get most titles for 5-10 bucks shipped on Amazon MP. Oldies has a bunch of titles for .99-5 bucks, so you could pick up a bunch of them for a relatively cheap price. (There is a $6 PH charge per order).

I don't have all of them and am not willing to pay OOP prices, but I'd like to get them all --- even some of the stuff I don't really care for. Seems stupid, but (except for a couple of Disney classics), I don't buy many titles just to complete a collection.

Edit:
Here's one of the 4fers
http://www.amazon.com/Strange-Invade...2218143&sr=1-2

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 03-19-12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-20-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I don't have all of them and am not willing to pay OOP prices, but I'd like to get them all --- even some of the stuff I don't really care for. Seems stupid, but (except for a couple of Disney classics), I don't buy many titles just to complete a collection.
Those "Midnight Movies" sets are pretty much the same for me as being the only "studio" titles I've actively sought out. Patience pays off. I've used Amazon, Amazon MP, Oldies, BL, WM, and Target for the majority. I refuse to pay more than the MSRP for any and generally balk at anything over 60% of MSRP unless the title is truly "rare". Like That'sAllFolks, I'd like to get them all and am down to those titles I absolutely do not care for. One day I'll say "No! Not going to do it!" and the next I'll stumble across one somewhere at the "magic" price (typically 75% or more off MSRP) and will purchase it anyway. Right now there are only about a half dozen of the 2-pack titles I do not own. Part of me looks for them every time I visit BL.
Old 03-20-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have every Something Weird/Image DVD
Old 03-20-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm sort of in the same boat as most of you with the Midnite Movie titles, but my reason for collecting most of them is different: I'm trying to get every film ever released by American International Pictures. I think that I'm only missing 5 or 6 of the Midnight Movie titles, and those contain films not released by AIP. I was super happy when Lionsgate released their four AIP double-features from the 50s (and I hoped there'd be more), but now things have dried up again. I've got probably 85-90% of AIP's output, but some of those are on VHS because DVDs haven't been released yet (for such titles as I Was a Teenage Werewolf, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein, and Jet Attack). More have been coming out lately through MGM's MOD program, so that helps, too.

I've tried to get as many Criterion and Dragon Dynasty titles as I can, too, but those are on an as-I-see-them basis.
Old 03-27-12, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any Alpha Video, Mill Creek, Legend Films or Echo Bridge completists? Or any other public domain labels?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.