Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ dawn

Old 02-28-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ d

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I see Mister Peepers mentioned Sliders as a possibity. What is the ruling on that since it involves travelling between different earths? Curious since I have the box set of seasons 1 and 2 of Sliders. Also List thread?
Originally Posted by Trevor
Hmmm. I've never seen Sliders, but I'd say that if there is no time travel, it doesn't count. We can be liberal and stretch things though, so perhaps someone more fluent in Sliders can make an argument.
I'm fluent in Sliders and as much as I'd like to say it involved time travel it does not. It deals with parallel dimensions but *not* the type which can used to resolve paradoxes possibly initiated by a trip to the past. The type where you make a change to the past which causes an alternate or parallel history to occur. In Sliders it's a scenario where there are *already* hundreds, if not thousands, of parallel universes that a person can "slide" between. Some are *very* similar to your origination point but are *not* the past or future of the timeline from which you originated.
Old 02-28-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - 2/28/12 @ dusk to 3/1/12 @ d

Originally Posted by davidh777
Except on the left coast
But these normally start midnight EST, which means we get to start at 9 pm. At least at 9 pm our time, someone always posts that the challenge has started, which is good enough for me. I also end it early to make up for the start in the theory that someone would post that the challenge is over but they never do.

Have I been reading it wrong?
Old 02-28-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
But these normally start midnight EST, which means we get to start at 9 pm. At least at 9 pm our time, someone always posts that the challenge has started, which is good enough for me. I also end it early to make up for the start in the theory that someone would post that the challenge is over but they never do.

No, but this particular one starts at dusk so normal rules don't apply. Of course with as little sun as we get around here, dusk probably started an hour ago.

Then again, Trevor might like it if we bent the time rules a little.

Shadokitty, if you watch even 10% of what you've mentioned as possibilities you'll prove yourself to be an actual time traveler. Would you like to sponsor this Challenge with prizes from the future?

Placing my order for a hoverboard
Old 02-28-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying to decide which title to start with but so far *all* of them I have also qualify for the Action/Adventure/Crime challenge. I'm having trouble convincing myself to use them anyway...

Those who have the sets, the Mr. Peabody & Sherman segments from The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show qualify!
Old 02-28-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to be difficult and throw in another post with "Does ???? this count" but I guess I will anyway. Does something like "Groundhog Day" count since some would refer to that as a timeloop. I just ask because I just came across this thread and thought I'd give the challenge a try and I just watched the Supernatural episode "Mystery Spot".
Old 02-28-12, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After the crappy day at work I had, that's only going to get worse as the week rolls on, I had an even crappier experience when I got home. I'd say our cats got the worst of it. Our 3 year old decided to play with a toy in their litterbox after putting it in their water, so litter was all glued to it and left in their food dish. Based on what was at the bottom of their water fountain, he washed some of it off in there too. Then he put the adult cat's food in the kitten's food. Then came a side order of putting more of that food in the water dishes.

Awesome thing to come home to. I only hope the report of major snow tonight comes true and they close the school tomorrow so I don't need to work. Problem is, when they predict major snow, let alone any snow, it only happens about 10% of the time. If it's really bad, it's still business as usual that first day but then people see how bad it was for everyone driving around all day and so they close things down the second day. The second day is when all the snow usually melts by noon.

It would be nice to sit and watch time travel stuff all day tomorrow but I know it won't happen

edit: Damn, maybe there will be snow but I know they won't cancel anything until after I make the long trek through hilly and icy roads

"Overcast with snow and rain, then snow after midnight. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 100% with accumulations up to 3 in. possible."
Old 02-28-12, 07:47 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I've been thinking, since the Action/Adventure challenge will typically start at dusk on February 28th, shouldn't the movies/shows that are watched on February 29th every 4 years count for both challenges, the Leap Day Challenge and the Action/Adventure Challenge?
Old 02-28-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to watch Back To The Future 3 the first time for the action challenge, but given these circumstances, thinking I'll move it up a little bit.
Old 02-28-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

My list

1. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
2. Star Trek The Next Generation: Yesterday's Enterprise
3. Star Trek Generations
4. Futurama: Bender's Big Score

Last edited by shadokitty; 02-29-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is awesome. And, I have the day free tomorrow. Even the wife is out of town. "Time" for an all nighter baby.
My list:
1. Army of Darkness
2. Star Trek - City on the Edge of Forever
3. Star Trek 4 - The Voyage Home
4. Escape from the Planet of the Apes
5. Dr. Who - The End of the World
6. Time Tunnel - Visitors from Beyond the Stars (it's like the original take on Cowboys and Aliens)
7. Primevil - episode 1
8. Primevil - episode 2
9. Time After Time
10. Primer

Last edited by Pizza; 02-29-12 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

My list:
February 28
1. The Time Tunnel (1966), "Rendezvous with Yesterday"
2. The Time Tunnel (1966), "One-Way to the Moon"
3. The Time Tunnel (1966), "End of the World"

February 29
4. Doctor Who (1976), "The Talons of Weng-Chiang"
5. 12 Monkeys (1995)
6. Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)

Last edited by Gobear; 03-03-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-28-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Ok, so how many wild cards do we get?

I just noticed I've got Leap Year on the DVR. Surely that's gotta count, right?
Old 02-28-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I recommend Time Crimes
Old 02-28-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched this last year for the sci-fi challenge but don't plan to watch it again

Old 02-28-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started this mini-challenge out with Time Bandits (1981) and have to say, I really enjoyed it. Much more comedy than I expected and some pretty good, cheesy action. Not sure how I missed it all these years.
Old 02-28-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

After the crappy day at work I had, that's only going to get worse as the week rolls on, I had an even crappier experience when I got home. I'd say our cats got the worst of it. Our 3 year old decided to play with a toy in their litterbox after putting it in their water, so litter was all glued to it and left in their food dish. Based on what was at the bottom of their water fountain, he washed some of it off in there too. Then he put the adult cat's food in the kitten's food. Then came a side order of putting more of that food in the water dishes.

Awesome thing to come home to. I only hope the report of major snow tonight comes true and they close the school tomorrow so I don't need to work. Problem is, when they predict major snow, let alone any snow, it only happens about 10% of the time. If it's really bad, it's still business as usual that first day but then people see how bad it was for everyone driving around all day and so they close things down the second day. The second day is when all the snow usually melts by noon.

It would be nice to sit and watch time travel stuff all day tomorrow but I know it won't happen

edit: Damn, maybe there will be snow but I know they won't cancel anything until after I make the long trek through hilly and icy roads

"Overcast with snow and rain, then snow after midnight. Low of 30F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of snow 100% with accumulations up to 3 in. possible."
Sorry, MP
Old 02-29-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My List:
1. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Time Of The Apes (1974) (Vol. XXII)
2. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Time Chasers (1990) (Vol. 5)
3. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Terror From The Year 5000 (1958) (YouTube)
4. Mystery Science Theater 3000: Future War (1994) (Vol. XIII)

Last edited by KaBluie; 03-01-12 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVDTalk's Inaugural Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge

February 28
1. Source Code

February 29
2. Donnie Darko

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 02-29-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though the list is likely not exhaustive and only movies, feel free to check out Wikipedia for a summary and ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Time_travel_films

Thinking I'm going to watch a non-Action/Adventure/Crime title from that list and then kick into full-gear the next day.
Old 02-29-12, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought about avoiding action, but heck with it. What's interesting about this challenge is that we didn't have much time to prep and have to rely on instant options or our own collections, and I remembered I had this one:

And I'm on the board!

My list:

1. Star Trek DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations
2. Star Trek Voyager: Year of Hell, part 1
3. Kim Possible: A Sitch in Time
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Last edited by davidh777; 03-05-12 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-29-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, since this now 100% overlaps with the Adventure/Action/Crime, the indecision is removed from selections!

And I *totally* forgot about The Time Tunnel TV series! How? Who knows... Looks like it may get a workout on the 29th!

I'm somewhat surprised at the amount of good time travel films and shows. You could almost do a month on that genre alone.

"Official" list

Complete:

Theme: Time Travel

February 28th
1. Time Bandits (1981) (my all time favorite Gilliam film)
2. Army of Darkness (1992)

February 29th
3. 12 Monkeys (1995)
4. The Time Tunnel (1966) S1E1: Rendezvous with Yesterday
5. The Time Tunnel (1966) S1E2: One Way to the Moon
6. The Time Tunnel (1966) S1E3: End of the World

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-03-12 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought about avoiding action, but heck with it. What's interesting about this challenge is that we didn't have much time to prep and have to rely on instant options or our own collections, and I remembered I had this one:

And I'm on the board!

1. Star Trek DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations
2. Star Trek Voyager: Year of Hell, part 1
That was the first set I pulled out. Had just bought it from Big Lots a few weeks back.
Time Tunnel is a great idea. I may check out an ep from that.
Old 02-29-12, 08:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

When Challenge leaders started adding the "to dawn" hours, and now the Jewish counting of starting the day at dusk the night before, I always thought of it as being sunrise/sunset of wherever you happen to be that day. We all live in different time zones, so there is no one universal start or stop moment in time. This seems most fair to me, although I guess people living near the poles may have a slight advantage or disadvantage depending on the seasons.

My goal one day is to travel to an island closest to the international date line to start a Challenge earlier than anyone else, and then hop to an island on the other side of the line at the end of the Challenge.

Not sure if I understood/answered your query there.
Originally Posted by paradicelost
I don't want to be difficult and throw in another post with "Does ???? this count" but I guess I will anyway. Does something like "Groundhog Day" count since some would refer to that as a timeloop. I just ask because I just came across this thread and thought I'd give the challenge a try and I just watched the Supernatural episode "Mystery Spot".
Hmmm. Maybe as a wildcard?
Originally Posted by orlmac
I've been thinking, since the Action/Adventure challenge will typically start at dusk on February 28th, shouldn't the movies/shows that are watched on February 29th every 4 years count for both challenges, the Leap Day Challenge and the Action/Adventure Challenge?
Yes, but only count things in the forthcoming Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge if your Time Travel items are actually action, adventure, or crime.
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Ok, so how many wild cards do we get?

I just noticed I've got Leap Year on the DVR. Surely that's gotta count, right?
Two wild cards, but they are very limited. Until someone presents me similar variations, here are the only two possible wild cards:
  1. Films/shows about the actual event of leap day
  2. Films/shows that involve a sort of almost time travel like Groundhog Day

Originally Posted by jmsmath
I started this mini-challenge out with Time Bandits (1981) and have to say, I really enjoyed it. Much more comedy than I expected and some pretty good, cheesy action. Not sure how I missed it all these years.
I envy your first time viewing there. Love that film.
I remembered I had this one:

Sweet! I found my Star Trek bin in the closet, thinking I had that collection, but apparently I only have the Q one. Darn, especially with me being too lazy to actually find those episodes in the actual season sets sitting right there in the bin.
Old 02-29-12, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Sweet! I found my Star Trek bin in the closet, thinking I had that collection, but apparently I only have the Q one. Darn, especially with me being too lazy to actually find those episodes in the actual season sets sitting right there in the bin.
There is time travel I believe of a sort in All Good Things, right? At least under IMDB's plot keywords of time travel, it falls in that list.
Old 02-29-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
There is time travel I believe of a sort in All Good Things, right? At least under IMDB's plot keywords of time travel, it falls in that list.
In that episode, Picard travels to his past and future, and Q takes Picard to the beginning of life on Earth, so yes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.