Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Old 03-05-12, 04:22 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

I've already seen some good movies for this challenge but I just got done watching The Great Escape. With Charles Bronson, James Coburn, James Garner, Steve McQueen, Donald Pleasence, Richard Attenborough and more it had to be a great movie. I've got the Good, the Bad and the Ugly planned for tomorrow so I'm getting in some great actors.
Old 03-05-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sometimes I think that when you and Ash talk about these titles you're just creating random words and snickering behind our backs for believing you.

I know, I know, I need more exposure to anime. I've actually really enjoyed most of the ten or so things I've watched, but just can't afford any more collectable areas to focus on.
I really need to catch up on anime. I've seen a number of films (mostly Ghibli but also Akira, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, etc.) but have a lot of episodics I've been meaning to watch. FMA and the other one have been particularly tugging at my sleeve.

I'm running into similar problems with my 10 year old stepdaughter. I'm fairly conservative, and trying to keep her sweet and innocent as long as possible, so we consider very few PG-13 films to be possible viewing choices. I'd stay G only till she was 18 if I could get away with it.
Hang on as long as you can, buddy. Then your best intentions may go down the drain after she's watched When in Rome and Confessions of a Shopaholic half a dozen times each and you get her to finally branch out and watch Sleepless in Seattle and Notting Hill and Music and Lyrics and pat yourself on the back when she likes them, then Definitely Maybe and... WTF, she's watching The Object of My Affection and it's rated R?

Originally Posted by gp1086
Glad to see other HP fans on this board. Deathly Hallows Part 2 was my favorite movie of 2011 and easily the best of the series IMO - I've seen it five times now and it doesn't get old. The way they closed out the story on screen was simply magical. I was a huge fan of the books before the movies though.

On a related note, I'm completely jealous of GoldenWheels son that he will get to experience the magic for the first time.
And GoldenWheels himself too!

My kid has been hankering for a half-marathon so we may watch a few more. I still haven't opened my 7.2 that I bought week after street, maybe because I saw it twice in theaters.
Old 03-05-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

indiephantom is probably referring to the new Project X (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1636826/), which I saw and didn't count as well, although it was pretty damn crazy/action-packed.
That's what I figured. I'm just complaining I'm old and you youngsters are stealing the names of movies I've already seen. Get off my lawn!

Glad to see other HP fans on this board. Deathly Hallows Part 2 was my favorite movie of 2011 and easily the best of the series IMO - I've seen it five times now and it doesn't get old. The way they closed out the story on screen was simply magical. I was a huge fan of the books before the movies though.

On a related note, I'm completely jealous of GoldenWheels son that he will get to experience the magic for the first time.
I like HP movies too although I thought Phoenix and HBP were pretty weak compared to the book. I watched Phoenix before reading the book and thought the film was confusing and seemed to be missing large chunks of story. I read the books before the Half Blood Prince came out. The movie didn't really do that book a lot of justice.
Old 03-05-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I have to admit I have a bit of a "too cool for school" attitude about the franchise but found myself totally into it, almost against my will. That says something. I am looking forward to the others and do want to get to them before some of the story slips through the holes in my memory!

There was a lot of takeout-chopstick-magic-wanding the rest of the weekend!
Old 03-05-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I like HP movies too although I thought Phoenix and HBP were pretty weak compared to the book. I watched Phoenix before reading the book and thought the film was confusing and seemed to be missing large chunks of story. I read the books before the Half Blood Prince came out. The movie didn't really do that book a lot of justice.
That's an entirely different factor: Whether you've read the books. I freely admit that I've only read the first one , which almost backfired big time when someone almost spoiled the last one for me assuming everyone had read them.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I have to admit I have a bit of a "too cool for school" attitude about the franchise but found myself totally into it, almost against my will. That says something. I am looking forward to the others and do want to get to them before some of the story slips through the holes in my memory!

There was a lot of takeout-chopstick-magic-wanding the rest of the weekend!
Old 03-05-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Kudos, though, to cardsfan111 for the idea of including Survivor as an adventure series.
That was brilliant Cardsfan!
About the only current shows I watch these days are Survivor and The Amazing Race, both because I enjoy them, and because there's little chance to see them released on DVD down the road.

Both are a good fit for the challenge this month.
Old 03-05-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
About the only current shows I watch these days are Survivor and The Amazing Race, both because I enjoy them, and because there's little chance to see them released on DVD down the road.

Both are a good fit for the challenge this month.
I'm watching The Amazing Race right now and said , "Hey, why not?" just before you posted.
Old 03-05-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'm in the same boat. For people like you and I who are close to the books, it's hard to look at the movie as a separate adapted story. Probably the reason I loved the final installment the most is because it was the first time it captured pretty much everything I thought was "important".
Old 03-05-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

So over the weekend I finally broke open my "Dirty Harry" Blu-ray box set and caught them all for the first time, although they didn't actually feel like first time viewings being they're so etched in pop culture. I really dug them all, but by the fifth entry he'd become a total parody of himself and the action was pretty over-the-top.

Anyway, tonight I'm watching "Drive", some of the DH supplemental material and actually starting a list.
Old 03-05-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chad
So over the weekend I finally broke open my "Dirty Harry" Blu-ray box set and caught them all for the first time, although they didn't actually feel like first time viewings being they're so etched in pop culture. I really dug them all, but by the fifth entry he'd become a total parody of himself and the action was pretty over-the-top.

Anyway, tonight I'm watching "Drive", some of the DH supplemental material and actually starting a list.
Dang, I forgot I have the DH set as well. I might save it for exploitation since it qualified last year.
Old 03-05-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's an entirely different factor: Whether you've read the books. I freely admit that I've only read the first one , which almost backfired big time when someone almost spoiled the last one for me assuming everyone had read them.

In regards to part 2
Spoiler:
I thought the movie did a better job of dealing with the "twist" with the wands than the book did. For me, it just seemed to come out of the blue. I reread it a couple times and then had to go back in the book because I didn't know what they hell just happened. It seemed like something ham-fisted in there because she couldn't figure out a way to get to where she wanted the book to go.
Old 03-05-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I still haven't opened my 7.2 that I bought week after street, maybe because I saw it twice in theaters.
I absolutely refused to purchase 7.1 until 7.2 streeted simply because I firmly believed there would be a "special package" of both films for Christmas 2011. Imaging my surprise when that didn't occur! So I picked up both for under $8 at various BF sales and have yet to watch them. No, I didn't see them in the theater as I avoid that venue due to the constant rudeness of many patrons (talking, phones, kids/babies at films rated beyond their years, etc.). I'm considering them for later this month with a couple of marathons of the other films. AFAIK my grandson has seen only the first film (watched with me last year during the SF challenge *but* I purchased the entire set for him and his mom for Christmas). I'm hoping to drag him into the marathon with me!
I'm in the same boat. For people like you and I who are close to the books, it's hard to look at the movie as a separate adapted story. Probably the reason I loved the final installment the most is because it was the first time it captured pretty much everything I thought was "important".
You really have to look at any film adaptation that way. While I've only read the first 3 HP books I have the entire collection. I find that having seen the films first I'm reading the books *anticipating* things happening which reduces the fun factor a bit.

I actually didn't like the first HP film when I first saw it. I thought it was trite with some hokey CGI. It took seeing the second film and going back for a re-watch to convince me it was a good effort. There are *still* a couple of areas where the CGI is somewhat badly done but I've come to enjoy the film far more than I ever thought I would. Frankly, the franchise has gotten better with each film.
Old 03-05-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while im on pace with a movie a day i took a break and watching some tv for the challenge alkatraz.

gonna watch raw too after which i dont think really counts

maybe try and watch movie before bed too maybe continue the bloody trend with some tokyo gore police action
Old 03-05-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Got a set of 9 martial arts movies in the mail today, and couldnt wait for the B Movie challenge to open it, so I decided to crack it open and watch one of the movies. Watching Legend of Eight Samurai with Sonny Chiba right now.
Old 03-06-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like this simple way of counting entries, makes it easy. I haven't even been trying to go for numbers just been working on getting through a series, and I am up to 23 already.
Old 03-06-12, 09:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I like this simple way of counting entries, makes it easy. I haven't even been trying to go for numbers just been working on getting through a series, and I am up to 23 already.
Yep, even though I try to say I'm not a numbers guy and try to sell the Challenges to the masses who only watch a few films a month, deep down my OCD is centered on things like lists and check boxes and numbers.

I like the goal of 100 for these things, it's a nice round number after all, and very challenging to hit for anyone with normal responsibilities. But 100 full length films is borderline unhealthy (I know, I've done it several times). 100 TV shows or shorts is very doable, but still challenging enough in my opinion. And I think that # goal/challenge encourages some participation we wouldn't get if Challenges were just a "watch this genre" thread.
Old 03-06-12, 10:19 AM

Yep, even though I try to say I'm not a numbers guy and try to sell the Challenges to the masses who only watch a few films a month, deep down my OCD is centered on things like lists and check boxes and numbers.

I like the goal of 100 for these things, it's a nice round number after all, and very challenging to hit for anyone with normal responsibilities. But 100 full length films is borderline unhealthy (I know, I've done it several times). 100 TV shows or shorts is very doable, but still challenging enough in my opinion. And I think that # goal/challenge encourages some participation we wouldn't get if Challenges were just a "watch this genre" thread.
I know that I've said this before in the forums, but to me that's where the checklist comes in. You have to see a large number of films to complete it (at least if you don't use movies more than once) and it can help to force you to get out of your comfort range a little and see things you wouldn't normally watch.

Speaking of the checklist, how's it coming along with being "officified"?
Old 03-06-12, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by orlmac
Speaking of the checklist, how's it coming along with being "officified"?
It's been official a couple days now. Sorry. I thought I made that clear, but perhaps I didn't clean up the ambiguity in the original posts. I'll check the threads out and edit as needed now.
Old 03-06-12, 10:34 AM

It's been official a couple days now. Sorry. I thought I made that clear, but perhaps I didn't clean up the ambiguity in the original posts. I'll check the threads out and edit as needed now.
Thanks, sorry for missing it earlier. I'm sure I just overlooked it.
Old 03-06-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm predicting that shadokitty and Trevor will be ordering S1/V2 soon after viewing V1, if they haven't done so already. While overall V2 is not quite as good as V1 it *does* have some excellent episodes along with a couple of really nice "bonus features" - a failed 2002 series pilot and a TV movie called The Time Travelers. There are reviews for each volume here on DVDTalk.
You were right at least for me, I decided to go ahead and order Volume 2 as I figured why not? And Volume 1 has not even arrived in the mail yet.
Old 03-06-12, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be watching Out of Sight (1998) [IMDb lists as Action & Crime] tonight for the first time, I love how these challenges help clear the unwatched shelf! Unfortunately, I fell off track of my goal of one per day due to real life activities.
Old 03-06-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by supermike07
<SNIP>...due to real life activities.
Those suck, don't they?
Old 03-06-12, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac
Thanks, sorry for missing it earlier. I'm sure I just overlooked it.
No worries. I should have had it ready a couple weeks before the Challenge started.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
You were right at least for me, I decided to go ahead and order Volume 2 as I figured why not? And Volume 1 has not even arrived in the mail yet.
I'm still holding out. The price jump made me realize that this is way over my usual season set price point. I think I can wait and get it cheaper eventually. It's not like I'm at a loss of choices of things to watch.
Originally Posted by supermike07
I'll be watching Out of Sight (1998) [IMDb lists as Action & Crime] tonight for the first time,
I envy you. Really loved it my first time viewing.
Old 03-06-12, 02:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Tonight's viewing, Lethal Weapon (1987). I love Gary Busey.
And that was all it took to get me to watch Lethal Weapon for the first time last night. Really really liked it. I was a little surprised to see it took place during the Christmas season (although Christmas in Southern California) so I was wondering if it would satisfy the checklist item "something with a major holiday theme". The season was referenced continually throughout the movie, both in dialog and sets, but really doesn't have a major impact on the plot. Oh a few small things would have to be changed, but the story could have taken place anytime.

Just wondering. Not even sure I'll take a serious shot at the checklist but knowing me, there's a good chance.

Tonight I'm thinking pirate movie. Maybe Pirates of Blood River from the Icons of Adventure set.
Old 03-06-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I watched Off Limits with Gregory Hines and Willem Defoe last night...not sure what I was expecting honestly but it exceeded any expectations I had. Good flick, very entertaining.

Will probably check out the other side of this Shout DF tonight, Gordon's War.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.