DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Third Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2012

Clambake (an Elvis movie)
Old 04-26-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

New blog entry is up! DVD review of the upcoming Schoolgirl Report #8! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ents-must.html
Old 04-26-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

*Just quickly checking out what others have watched so far*

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Hey! That makes you the first person I've ever known who has seen this! This really could've been a masterful sleazy epic, but it's too bad that they ran out of ideas after the first 15 minutes

And speaking of lovable sleaze:
Originally Posted by KaBluie
103. The Abducters (1972)
The Abducters
^My favorite of the GINGER movies

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
25. Ricco The Mean Machine (Demicheli, 1973)@
I still have never seen a more painfully-looking castration than the one seen in here...And (Ashamed to say) I've seen a lot.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Assault Of The Party Nerds (1989) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: It could have been the alcohol but I really really liked this movie. Bad acting, plot, filmstock & dialog aside it was just fun. Now this also could be due in no small part to Linnea Quigley and Michelle Bauer, two of my favorite scream queens. I am actually quite looking forward to the sequel, also included in this set. Some great nudity here btw.
(4 out of 5)
Features Linnea Quigley, need I say more?
Hmmm.....I'm interested!

Originally Posted by Chad
28. Zenka onna: koroshi-bushi (aka "Criminal Woman: Killing Melody") (1973)
^Love, LOVE that movie! Just might be my most favorite Pinky.

Originally Posted by omike
56. Maniac (1934)* (Sinister Cinema Poverty Row Studio Collection Roadshow Attractions Vol. 1)
A very mad doctor and his crazed assistant conduct experiments to raise the dead. They succeed but then things get very strange. One of the most bizarre movies I've ever seen, a perfect example of an exploitation film. The story is occasionally interrupted by text defining various kinds of mental illness none of which relate to the story at the time they come on. And that's just the beginning! There are some real life animal fights shown. Recommended.
I'm still amazed that TCM Underground has yet to show this. I'm guessing the cat cruelty might be the prevention.

Originally Posted by omike
78. Run! Bitch Run! (2009)* Streaming Netflix
Two Catholic schoolgirls are tortured and raped by several rural lowlifes. One dies but the other survives. Full of sex, gore, nudity, and sleaze. Seems to be a tribute to classic 70's exploitation but takes everything much further than it went then.
Though it ain't no masterpiece, I think this just might be my favorite of the current "Tribute" movies....Thanks most in part to the lead actress's physical transformation. Seriously, she looked like two entirely different people both before & after the rape!

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
42. THE DEADLIEST ART: THE BEST OF THE MARTIAL ARTS FILMS (1992/U.S., 90 min., color, documentary/Golden Harvest) VHS
Dir.: Sandra Weintraub. Host: John Saxon. Interviewees: Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Cynthia Rothrock.
Tons of great clips from American and Hong Kong martial arts films, mostly from the 1980s, with the emphasis on Hong Kong. The producer, Fred Weintraub, also produced ENTER THE DRAGON and, years later, CHINA O’BRIEN, which gets a lot of coverage here. Basically stops at 1990.
Ah, this was the one that started it all for me. My introduction to Jackie,Sammo & Yuen. Looking back, the documentary seems more like a giant ad for Golden Harvest, but if you have so many legendary & wonderful moments in your catalog, why not show off?

Originally Posted by JHCA13
10. Long Jeanne Silver (1977-de Renzy) ☼ OL *

Originally Posted by naitram
Ok, Mondo's picture of Christina Lindberg "twisted my arm"
Guess I didn't twist it hard enough!

Originally Posted by TomOpus
38. Mondo Kane - DVD
I'm sure you mean the one that starts with the C!

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
4. Blackenstein: a Z-list blaxploitation movie looking to make money off the success of popular and infinitely better Blacula. Eddie Turner lost all his limbs when he stepped on a landmine while serving in Vietnam. His girlfriend, Dr. Winifred Walker, finds help for Eddie in the form of her mentor, Dr. Stein (get it, STEIN? The movie is as subtle as a hammer). The treatments to restore Eddie's arms and legs are going well until Stein's assistant Malcomb, having fallen in love with Winifred, gives Eddie a dose of poison that transforms him into a Frankenstein monster. Murders ensue. Everything about this is bad for the most part: wooden acting, cardboard sets, weird music, stilted dialogue. The comedian that shows up briefly cracks one good joke, and that is the movie's only saving grace. Just awful. It's on YouTube, but I recommend drinking before watching. I wish I had done that. Grade: F
LOL That's what saved it for me too.....Well, that and the brief boobage

Originally Posted by Cronenbergfan71
65. The Deathless Devil (1972)
I'd LOVE to see this again!
Old 04-26-12, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS
THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD (mollusks)
BLOOD BEACH (clam monster under the beach)
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961, giant crab)
DAY OF THE ANIMALS
GRIZZLY
Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Nature Calls, Meatballs, Little Darlings, Blair Witch Project, Friday the 13th, Wet Hot American Summer.
Originally Posted by Gobear
Clambake (an Elvis movie)
For some reason I really wish I had Clambake.

I'm going to go with Blood Beach. Some of the other choices would be fine except I have them on blu-ray or I don't have time to rip them all. Realistically, I'll be lucky if I get around to finishing just the one.
Old 04-26-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Would Elektra Luxx count? Sex-themed, $10M U.S. gross.
Old 04-26-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Circle of Iron as Bruce-sploitation?
Old 04-26-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say yes. He wrote it and wasn't there a plan for him to star in it?
Old 04-26-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[QUOTE=Mondo Kane;11207799]
Hmmm.....I'm interested!

In retrospect the alcohol may have played a larger role than I thought at the time. But if you are a Quigly fan it is a must. And if you aren't a Bauer fan yet, this will make you one.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-27-12 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-27-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Hey! That makes you the first person I've ever known who has seen this! This really could've been a masterful sleazy epic, but it's too bad that they ran out of ideas after the first 15 minutes
Seriously. Here's part of the note I made on my list for that one (to help me when/if I go back and finish writing my official comments for each movie): "should've been a lot better than it was - the first 15 mins should've been stretched out to a whole film."
Old 04-27-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Circle of Iron might be kind of between categories. Bruce-sploitation was more intended for those Bruce Le or Bruce Li films (there's well over a 100 of them). I supposed it could really go in either category. Wherever you need to fill in a spot.
Old 04-27-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Watching #100 right now. Hard to choose which one but I went with Plan 9 from Outer Space. Love that movie.
Old 04-27-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember when I used to be able to hit 100 in challenges. Now I'm just shooting for 50. 6 more to go and I'm there.
Old 04-27-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I managed to get sick enough to stay home a couple of days which helped for last Saturday/Sunday. I'll be starting #100 in an hour or so. Trying to decide whether to go with one from the unopened pile or an old favorite...

And the winner was: A Boy and His Dog

It is an old favorite *and* was in the unopened pile as I recently purchased a copy to finally replace that old taped off TV copy.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-28-12 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-28-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I managed to get sick enough to stay home a couple of days which helped for last Saturday/Sunday. I'll be starting #100 in an hour or so. Trying to decide whether to go with one from the unopened pile or an old favorite...

And the winner was: A Boy and His Dog

It is an old favorite *and* was in the unopened pile as I recently purchased a copy to finally replace that old taped off TV copy.
If you liked this you should play Fallout 3.
Old 04-28-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I really shit the bed in this challenege... I moved into my house and didn't get a good start... thus I ended up not being to into it this year... ;(
Old 04-28-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those that have seen Evil Bong 3-D, do you recommend that I use the cheapie glasses and red/blue 3-d or have my tv guess and do it's interpretation of new 3-D on this content?

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-28-12 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Last night I had to find an Italian sword 'n' sandal film since I hadn't watched any yet for this challenge. I have quite a few but I wanted to find one I hadn't seen yet. There are several in the Mill Creek 50 Sci-Fi Classics box set--rather odd, since none are actually sci-fi--so I decided to check out the quality and stick with the one that had the best print quality. Some of them looked terrible, but I finally settled on HERCULES AND THE TYRANTS OF BABYLON (1964), which didn't look too bad and turned out to be pretty good as films in this genre go. Peter Lupus, pre-"Mission: Impossible," but post-MUSCLE BEACH PARTY, played Hercules (billed as "Rock Stevens"). It was an American International TV print. It had a half-way decent plot, some well-designed miniatures in the destruction-of-Babylon sequence, and well-staged action, in which Lupus lifts up Babylonian soldiers and tosses them around. Also, there's a gorgeous actress named Helga Line as one of the rulers of Babylon.

On that same box set, HERCULES UNCHAINED can be found in a better-than-average print and transfer.
Old 04-29-12, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

First time viewing the I Spit On Your Grave remake and it lives up to the hype; although I think the original remains more complicated and thoughtful despite the exploitation.
Old 04-29-12, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Richard Carlson would have turned 100 today (he died in 1977). He’s on the actors’ safe list for this challenge, chiefly because he starred in various classic sci-fi films of the ‘50s, like CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE. I remember seeing both of those films on a 3-D double bill back in 1976 or ’77. He was also in the ingenious 3-D horror film, THE MAZE, which I’ve also seen in 3-D.

Barbara Rush, Richard Carlson in IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953)

This past Wednesday, TCM ran a sci-fi film that Carlson directed and co-starred in—RIDERS TO THE STARS (1954). I watched it then. It’s pretty good. This morning I watched the Alamo movie, THE LAST COMMAND (1955), a Republic Pictures production in which Carlson plays Col. William Travis. (Sterling Hayden plays Jim Bowie and Arthur Hunnicutt plays Davy Crockett.) As a film about the Alamo, it compares quite favorably with the John Wayne epic, THE ALAMO (1960). Some of us feel THE LAST COMMAND is the better film.

Other films Carlson made that fit the spirit of this challenge:
HOLD THAT GHOST (1941), a haunted house comedy starring Abbott and Costello
RETREAT, HELL (1952), a Korean War movie directed by Joseph H. Lewis
SEMINOLE (1953), an army-vs.-Indians historical adventure set in Florida in the early 1800s, directed by Budd Boetticher; Carlson plays Major Degan
THE MAGNETIC MONSTER (1953), a sci-fi movie directed by Curt Siodmak
THE POWER (1968), a sci-fi movie produced by George Pal
VALLEY OF GWANGI (1969), a dinosaur movie with effects by Ray Harryhausen
CHANGE OF HABIT (1969), Elvis Presley plays a doctor, Mary Tyler Moore plays a nun, Carlson plays a Catholic Bishop.

A quintessential '50s sci-fi cast: Carlson, Julia Adams, Richard Denning, Whit Bissell, in CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-29-12 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Watching Zombie Strippers on Crackle right now. Wondering is that eligible for this challenge, or would I need a wild card?
Old 04-29-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Last night I had to find an Italian sword 'n' sandal film since I hadn't watched any yet for this challenge. I have quite a few but I wanted to find one I hadn't seen yet. There are several in the Mill Creek 50 Sci-Fi Classics box set--rather odd, since none are actually sci-fi--so I decided to check out the quality and stick with the one that had the best print quality. Some of them looked terrible, but I finally settled on HERCULES AND THE TYRANTS OF BABYLON (1964), which didn't look too bad and turned out to be pretty good as films in this genre go. Peter Lupus, pre-"Mission: Impossible," but post-MUSCLE BEACH PARTY, played Hercules (billed as "Rock Stevens"). It was an American International TV print. It had a half-way decent plot, some well-designed miniatures in the destruction-of-Babylon sequence, and well-staged action, in which Lupus lifts up Babylonian soldiers and tosses them around. Also, there's a gorgeous actress named Helga Line as one of the rulers of Babylon.

On that same box set, HERCULES UNCHAINED can be found in a better-than-average print and transfer.
I have a $1 disc of that with another so-called Hercules movie on the other side, Hercules and the Masked Rider, which is mostly a version of Zorro set in 18th century Spain. I actually enjoyed Hercules and the Tyrants of Babylon. Peter Lupus is no Steve Reeves, but the movie worked for me.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Watching Zombie Strippers on Crackle right now. Wondering is that eligible for this challenge, or would I need a wild card?
I would think the title speaks for itself.

Yesterday I watched a Syfy movie marathon, which was a farrago of bad acting, dime-store FX, and implausible plots. They are also starting to repeat themselves. Last week Syfy showed Alien Tornado and yesterday they premiered Alien Twister; I reckon the pool of crappy scripts is running dry. I need to watch some old-school movies to cleanse the palate.

Last edited by Gobear; 04-29-12 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those that have seen Evil Bong 3-D, do you recommend that I use the cheapie glasses and red/blue 3-d or have my tv guess and do it's interpretation of new 3-D on this content?
Also Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star is at 23% on Rotten Tomatoes, close enough? Or wildcard action?

Edit on DR: safelist actor hits

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-29-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Does Conan the Barbarian and/or it's sequel Conan the Destroyer count? I'd argue a movie with half naked body builder fighting evil snake god could count but the budget might make it too A-list. Happy to use wild cards.
Old 04-29-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gobear
I reckon the pool of crappy scripts is running dry.
That's a pool that's never going to run dry.
Old 04-29-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Also Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star is at 23% on Rotten Tomatoes, close enough? Or wildcard action?

Edit on DR: safelist actor hits
Close enough.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Does Conan the Barbarian and/or it's sequel Conan the Destroyer count? I'd argue a movie with half naked body builder fighting evil snake god could count but the budget might make it too A-list. Happy to use wild cards.
And this is Early Arnold, so I'll allow it.

One of the two times I met Arnold was when he was promoting this. The other was for Pumping Iron.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.