Third Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Third Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2012

Old 04-23-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Third Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2012

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have to confess I was most impressed with GREEN SLIME this time.
Great theme song!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Izr3Cidaz1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know I watched something after Evil Dead last night, but I can't remember what it was. Perhaps it will come to me later.
Old 04-23-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

... I have to confess I was most impressed with GREEN SLIME this time.
I vividly remember the ad campaign for this one when it came out: The Green Slime are coming!! I saw the trailer a number of times watching other sci-fi/horror films in the theater and would ride my bike by the theater to look at the poster every chance I got. I never saw it then and don't remember why (bad show time(s)? no money? both?). I *finally* saw it the first time for last years Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge and thought it was quite fun! I'm torn as to whether or not to work it in for this one or save it for summer...
Old 04-23-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

. It's still a great film, but I have to confess I was most impressed with GREEN SLIME this time.
I really enjoyed Green Slime the first time I saw it. It was last year when I went to G -Fest. It was one of the movies playing on the hotel tv channel that weekend.
Old 04-23-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How's everyone doing on goals they set for themselves? That can be # of films watched, discs you've had sitting around that you wanted to watch, etc...

I didn't set any # goals for myself, but if I had it'd be lower than where I'm at already. I was hoping to crush at least half of my Spaghetti Western 44 pack but I think I've hit 3 or 4 of them haha.
Old 04-24-12, 08:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always wanted to hit 100 in this challenge and I have a pretty good shot this year -- I'm up to 79 as of last night. I'm also trying to complete the checklist with no duplicates (although not filling in every optional item) and I also think that's possible. If I can do that, I'm going to give up on checklists for a while. No, really. I mean it. No more for a while at least. They are fun, but they can also be a little restrictive.

BUT there are some things that have come up this week that could keep my numbers lower than I'd hoped so these goals aren't sure things. (I had to end on a cliffhanger! )
Old 04-24-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
How's everyone doing on goals they set for themselves? That can be # of films watched, discs you've had sitting around that you wanted to watch, etc...
I'm running behind my pace for the previous two years, but not too far behind. I think I can still hit 100.

Are we running until dawn on May 1st again?
Old 04-24-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't set any # goals for myself, but if I had it'd be lower than where I'm at already. I was hoping to crush at least half of my Spaghetti Western 44 pack but I think I've hit 3 or 4 of them haha.
I didn't set any # goal for myself, but I've been plugging along at the MC sets I bought for this challenge. need to pick up the pace though as the last couple weeks have been busy for me.
Old 04-24-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm behind where I was last year. I've only got 50 so far. I was sick in April of last year and took some days off so I was able to boost my numbers then. I've been much busier--and healthier--this year.
Old 04-24-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a list of around 30 movies I was going to watch, to complete a couple lists I was working on. Finished them up last Saturday so now everything else is just a bonus.

I've decided to finish the rest of the Lone Wolf and Cub series and finish up my Dirty Harry box set. Last year I watched Dirty Harry for this challenge but haven't touched the rest.

In my bedroom I've started watching my Decrepit Crypt of Nightmares box set, full of low budget, DTV horror films. I started watching it years ago for one of the horror challenges but I'd watched so much DTV from that set and other stuff I had that it's taken years of not watching anything like that to be able to somewhat enjoy it again. Right now I've started some Vampire Hunter movie that was shot on VHS and is just silly with how serious they're trying to make it while coming off with a $0 budget.
Old 04-24-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

I was on track at around the midpoint of the challenge for the hundred but my little Vacation/Asset Recovery Effort killed my chances this year, might hit 80-85 though.
Old 04-24-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm right on track. I have to add a couple more so I will meet and probably pass my average of 1 per day.

btw. If anyone here collects Joe D'Amato stuff and want Mya's dvd of Top Girl you can have it completely free and I'll ship it free too.
Old 04-24-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I'm right on track. I have to add a couple more so I will meet and probably pass my average of 1 per day.

btw. If anyone here collects Joe D'Amato stuff and want Mya's dvd of Top Girl you can have it completely free and I'll ship it free too.
I'll take it!
Old 04-24-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I'll take it!
its yours. PM me your address and I'll try to send it on friday.
Old 04-24-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't really set any goals but am doing pretty good. I *should* hit 100 before it all ends.

I had a bit of a set back this weekend when my grandson spent the entire weekend with me. We played video games rather than watch movies and what TV watching we did was a couple of disks of The Three Stooges. He's a Curly fan, but picked a couple of disks with Shemp instead! I prefer those with Curly but I *do* like Shemp too so it was OK with me. Basically those 2 days of 6-8 films each went down to 2-3 films as I was playing "catch up" after he went to bed.

I'll definitely complete that Mill Creek "Warriors" set I picked up specifically for this challenge. However, I'm not watching any film on that set that I have in other sets or individual releases which knocks about 15 or so out of the queue. I also want to work in the last of 3 RetroMedia peplum sets I picked up last year. It's only 8 films so if nothing gets in the way this weekend I just might get that watched too.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-24-12 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-24-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I didn't really set any goals but am doing pretty good. I *should* hit 100 before it all ends.

I had a bit of a set back this weekend when my grandson spent the entire weekend with me. We played video games rather than watch movies and what TV watching we did was a couple of disks of The Three Stooges. He's a Curly fan, but picked a couple of disks with Shemp instead! I prefer those with Curly but I *do* like Shemp too so it was OK with me. Basically those 2 days of 6-8 films each went down to 2-3 films as I was playing "catch up" after he went to bed.

I'll definitely complete that Mill Creek "Warriors" set I picked up specifically for this challenge. However, I'm not watching any film on that set that I have in other sets or individual releases which knocks about 15 or so out of the queue. I also want to work in the last of 3 RetroMedia peplum sets I picked up last year. It's only 8 films so if nothing gets in the way this weekend I just might get that watched too.
Don't the Three Stooges shorts count in this challenge? They were produced by the "B" unit at Columbia Pictures.
Old 04-24-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't the Three Stooges shorts count in this challenge? They were produced by the "B" unit at Columbia Pictures.
I thought they might for that very reason so I read the first post carefully just to be sure. It states:

"This challenge is for Movies."

Plus there is no stipulation like on other challenges indicating "add the time of shorts to make 90 minutes per entry" so I took "movies" to mean "feature length film" and did not ask. If they wind up counting, great! But if not, it's no biggie as it was a nice diversion and he laughed enough for the both of us!
Old 04-24-12, 11:13 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

You can count Stooges like they were Serials or educational shorts. They were theatrical.
Originally Posted by rules
"Serials (we'll go with an hour's worth per entry), provided they actually were theatrical serials. A serial episode is about 15-20 minutes, so an hour's worth counts as an entry. Four-15 minute ones or Three-20 minute episodes."
Old 04-25-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
You can count Stooges like they were Serials or educational shorts.
They are educational, in their way.
Old 04-25-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Sointenly!
Old 04-25-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't watch it tonight, but Isaw Trollhunter was on tv tonight and I got to thinking, would that be eligible for this challenge? I see it is on NWI.
Old 04-26-12, 12:50 AM

I don't see why not. I would probably exclude any Chris Columbus Remake, though.
Old 04-26-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I didn't watch it tonight, but Isaw Trollhunter was on tv tonight and I got to thinking, would that be eligible for this challenge? I see it is on NWI.
good to know as I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-26-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm taking off tomorrow after work to do a couple days camping/crabbing/clamming. Any suggestions for movies that fit the theme?
Old 04-26-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'm taking off tomorrow after work to do a couple days camping/crabbing/clamming. Any suggestions for movies that fit the theme?
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS
THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD (mollusks)
BLOOD BEACH (clam monster under the beach)
MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1961, giant crab)
DAY OF THE ANIMALS
GRIZZLY
Old 04-26-12, 03:33 PM

Nature Calls, Meatballs, Little Darlings, Blair Witch Project, Friday the 13th, Wet Hot American Summer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.