Three Stooges 20 disc ultimate collection March 27

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 07:24 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Three Stooges 20 disc ultimate collection March 27

http://classicflix.blogspot.com/2012...-ultimate.html

"It is reportedly a 20-disc set which will include the eight chronological volumes already released. However, it should be noted that said eight volumes add up to only 17 discs, so there will likely be some bonus material involved. More details to follow.

Any way you slice it, it's a great buy with a retail price of $159.99, with it available at ClassicFlix.com for only $124.99."
Old 01-17-12, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Three Stooges 20 disc ultimate collection March 27

It would be great if they put out the solo shorts that Shemp, Besser, and DeRita made on their own for Columbia. Those are LONG overdue.

Less exciting would be the inclusion of the 1959-1965 features, all but one of which (HAVE ROCKET) is readily available as is.
Old 01-21-12, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon has it listed for $111.99 pre order
Old 01-21-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good news..... I was looking for Amazon to have a gold box deal of the eight volumes during the xmas season like I think they had in the year before but never did see one this year. Will pick up the Ultimate in the future.
Old 01-21-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

The detailed description at ClassicFlix indicates:

"The chronological collection of the Stooges from 1934 - 1959 on 20 discs."

If that's correct it's doubtful the extra disks contain the movies as 4 of them are post 1959. I'd guess the extra disks are the promised-but-cancelled Shemp & Joe Besser solo shorts. In any event I'm hoping that whatever is on those 3 extra disks is available separately. I already own the sets and would most likely not double-dip for anything those disks contain.
Old 01-21-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd guess the extra disks are the promised-but-cancelled Shemp & Joe Besser solo shorts.
They were never officially announced so they can't be cancelled. They were probably put on the back-burner since Columbia now seems to be focusing on putting their older catalog titles MOD instead.

The 3 discs are a mystery. Could be the features. Could be the Besser/DeRita/Shemp solos. Could also be something like The Lost Stooges or other stuff. Gonna be hard to tell. I'm sure the release of this is to coincide with the feature film coming out in April.
Old 01-21-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't think of one instance where Sony made complete set bonus discs available separately.... Seinfeld, King Queens... Unlike Paramount or Fox
Old 01-21-12, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein
I can't think of one instance where Sony made complete set bonus discs available separately.... Seinfeld, King Queens... Unlike Paramount or Fox
They won't. Most fans already own all of the volumes so this is their incentive to have them double dip.
Old 01-21-12, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
They were never officially announced so they can't be cancelled. They were probably put on the back-burner since Columbia now seems to be focusing on putting their older catalog titles MOD instead.

The 3 discs are a mystery. Could be the features. Could be the Besser/DeRita/Shemp solos. Could also be something like The Lost Stooges or other stuff. Gonna be hard to tell. I'm sure the release of this is to coincide with the feature film coming out in April.
I was tiold this was a project going to be done by Warner Archives but they last reported there is still a lot of work to do in restoring the Shemp solo shorts so who knows what this new set is going to contain. The only movie not being released was "Have Rocket, Will Travel" and Rockin in the Rockies.
Old 01-22-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmw650
I was tiold this was a project going to be done by Warner Archives but they last reported there is still a lot of work to do in restoring the Shemp solo shorts so who knows what this new set is going to contain. The only movie not being released was "Have Rocket, Will Travel" and Rockin in the Rockies.
Really? I only knew the Warner Archive taking on Shemp's Vitaphone shorts (which they own), but they were going to take forever and a day to restore. They were never mentioned before to release the Columbia shorts.
Old 01-22-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
Really? I only knew the Warner Archive taking on Shemp's Vitaphone shorts (which they own), but they were going to take forever and a day to restore. They were never mentioned before to release the Columbia shorts.
McFly, that's what Warner Archives were saying when I asked them about it on their Facebook page as i was inquiring about The Jetsons S3 as well...but mind you, they have stated that beforehand about the Shemp shorts only 6 months ago too.
Old 01-24-12, 11:27 AM

From Movies Unlimited:

Along with volumes 1-8 of "The Three Stooges Collection," containing all 190 of the boys' Columbia shorts, this 20-disc collector's set also includes the feature films "Rockin' in the Rockies" (1945), a song-filled frontier comedy where ranch foreman Moe coaxes drifters Larry and Curly into backing his prospecting scheme, and "Have Rocket--Will Travel" (1958), with rocket base janitors Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe accidentally getting launched to the planet Venus; 28 solo Columbia short subjects--including "The Glove Slingers" (1939), "Pick a Peck of Plumbers" (1944), "Mr. Noisy" (1946), "Wedlock Deadlock" (1947), "Army Daze" (1956), and more--starring Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita; and a trio of vintage cartoons--"The Bon Bon Parade" (1935), "Merry Mutineers" (1936), and "A Hollywood Detour" (1942)--with appearances by the team.

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musit...asp?sku=D42195
Old 01-24-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now I have to hope they release the last three bonus discs as separates as I, like a lot of others on here, bought the individual volumes of the series when they first came out.
Old 01-24-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, I'm so glad I never picked up the individual releases. Sucks for those that did. They really should offer the bonus discs separately.
Old 01-24-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I wouldn't say is sucks. It really depends on your outlook and what you like. I picked up the individual releases and have been able to watch them over and over. I, for one, am glad I picked them up when I did as I've purchased them as they came out. While I'd like *some* of the "bonus" material there's nothing I want bad enough to double-dip although I *would* like the movies. If it comes out as separate releases I'll get some of it. If not, I'm perfectly happy with the 8 sets.
Old 01-24-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I had always intended on getting the eight sets, I only ever got the first one (and for fairly cheap at that). So with that said, I wouldn't main just grabbing the complete set.
Old 01-24-12, 09:41 PM

For someone who's just getting into the 3 stooges after years of avoiding them what's the best route to take. This set, the eight sets, or the cheapo 5 and 10 dollar DVDs they made with a few shorts each.
Old 01-25-12, 09:02 AM

Hope they release the bonus material separately. I've already got the eight sets, not gonna double dip.
Old 01-25-12, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights
For someone who's just getting into the 3 stooges after years of avoiding them what's the best route to take. This set, the eight sets, or the cheapo 5 and 10 dollar DVDs they made with a few shorts each.
This set, if the info we know holds true. Avoid those ones with a few each.
Old 01-25-12, 02:19 PM

So picking up the 8 volumes isn't necessarily a good idea either?
Old 01-25-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Given what's on the bonus discs, unless you're a completeist, the 8 volumes are a good way to go - just stay away from the budget stuff. I bought the 8 volumes and I love them. The bonus discs would be nice, really nice, but there is no way I'm going to double dip for them.
Old 01-25-12, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162
Given what's on the bonus discs, unless you're a completeist, the 8 volumes are a good way to go - just stay away from the budget stuff. I bought the 8 volumes and I love them. The bonus discs would be nice, really nice, but there is no way I'm going to double dip for them.
I'd also say go with the 8 volumes, you can get 4 of them as freebies when you join Columbia House.
Old 01-25-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My advice is just stay away from the public domain ones and waitr until this set comes out on 3/27/2012 and you'll thoroughly enjoy the Stooges from beginning to end. if you can't wait, then slowly start off with the volumes one by one, depending on what you can afford too.
Old 01-25-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike7162
This exactly. If you don't care about the movies or the solo shorts the 8 volumes are excellent choices. Whatever you do avoid *any* release with just shorts other than the 8 volumes or the full box set. That also goes for those earlier Columbia releases that are "theme" based. Those are only good for "casual" fans.
Old 01-25-12, 07:54 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I would just wait for a good sale on this ultimate set. It could be 60 to 70 in 6 months to a year on a deal of the day at amazon or another store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.