Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-21-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm not on the same computer I saved the info on, but I do recall a few suggestions mentioned...

- Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched

- Changing 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Nominated for an Academy Award', ditching it altogether or adding more awards (ie Bafta)

- Combining 'Horror Host' with 'MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic'

- Combining 'Attack of / Day of / Night of / Return of / Revenge of' into one category or ditching them altogether

I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks.
Old 11-21-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Anyone with 100+ movies gets invited to post their in the list thread first.... one of these days I'll make it to page 1
Old 11-21-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was also some discussion of changing the 'Musicals' category to something else, which I'd be all for. As for the suggestions mentioned, I vote yes on all 4 (the first one was my brilliant idea), with 'Won' changed to 'Nominated' with regards to the Academy checklist item.
Old 11-21-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Wow! Not wasting any time, eh?

Overall I felt it was a very good year. Theme nights syncing with 31 films subset was great even though I didn't watch as many of them as I'd have liked.

What you've mentioned already look like excellent changes. I like the idea of using "nominated for" as the award item *and* include other awards (Bafta, etc.) to the mix to open it up a bit.

I'll have to read back through this year's thread for more ideas...
Old 11-21-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree with changes posted and really enjoyed options with the checklist (ie doug bradley or sid haig)

possibly only suggestion if we have so many awesome prizes next year as we did this year id say bump up to more winners for best looking lists...this year was ridiculously hard to pick a top 3 with so many people posting reviews, stats, creative designs, etc...which reading through everyone lists is the best part of the challenge and wish i had time to do it with mine.

ooo yeah one other change.... extend the challenge to 12 months!
Old 11-21-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I like the idea of using "nominated for" as the award item *and* include other awards (Bafta, etc.) to the mix to open it up a bit.
Including any/all awards would likely include way too many films though. There are probably a million films, horror or otherwise, that have been nominated for some award or another. I'd prefer keeping it specifically Oscar-based.
Old 12-17-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ I'd use the 2012 planning thread.
ok taking this advice sorry if this constitute as spamming

original post
Originally Posted by terrycloth
sorry to bump this again...lol so anyone itching for horror talk?

despite participating lightly in comedy and holiday challenges im still mostly watching horror and miss having a spot to talk about it with people. i brought it up briefly in the discussion and know the horror movie club bombed but figured id see if any interest at all in a monthly horror discussion thread ? hell we have one for wrestling dvds. if interested would it be better in this thread or prolly in the horror group forum where no one seems to use
now to add to this

i tried to make a thread as an example in "horror freaks" group forum but wouldnt let me...i assume you can only post if you join, but cant figure out how to join and figured being hidden wont help getting participation.

would this type of thread go better in this section or like the reviews?
Old 12-17-11, 08:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Wow! Not wasting any time, eh?

Overall I felt it was a very good year. Theme nights syncing with 31 films subset was great even though I didn't watch as many of them as I'd have liked.

What you've mentioned already look like excellent changes. I like the idea of using "nominated for" as the award item *and* include other awards (Bafta, etc.) to the mix to open it up a bit.

I'll have to read back through this year's thread for more ideas...
sheesh! no kidding...
Old 12-20-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Please call it a "horror challenge" and not a "horror movie challenge" unless only movies are allowed.
Old 02-17-12, 09:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Anyone with 100+ movies gets invited to post their in the list thread first.... one of these days I'll make it to page 1
You've been on page one 3 of the past 5 years!

My suggestion for Chad: Make October happen more often.
Old 08-03-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

This is without a doubt the fewest amount of posts a feedback thread has ever received up to this point. I'll take that as a sign that we've almost achieved perfection as opposed to this forum dying a slow death over the years.

Anyway, a couple or so reasons for the bump:

First off, it's to give a heads up that I'll be posting the main thread a week early this year. I'm having back surgery on August 29 and can't be completely sure when I'll be up and able to do so if I wait until September. It's being done out of town and I definitely won't be lugging my laptop around (tablet only), so who knows when.

Also, it's to ask for last-minute feedback. I know it sounds incredibly early to be asking this, but it's already August(!) and I'm incredibly pressed for time as it is.

That said, any more suggestions for checklist items, new theme night ideas or even sponsors? Anything. At this point the thread's pretty much ready to go, the checklist is 95% complete and theme nights is reaching the halfway point. And I *think* I've included the majority of checklist item suggestions presented last year.

And finally, would anyone like to volunteer to be a standby host in September? All that would entail is getting people to pick their 31 film subset pick, syncing them up with theme nights and creating the actual list itself. Seriously doubt this'll even be necessary, but just as a precautionary method.

That's it. For now, anyway.
Old 08-03-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember you saying I could have any of the prizes, for no other reason than you really, really like me.
Old 08-03-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope everything goes well with your surgery, Chad. Bela Lugosi's birthday is 10/20, so perhaps that could be a theme night, with everyone attempting to watch at least one Lugosi film (other than Dracula), and the more adventurous among us making a day or at least a double-feature out of it? As far as sponsors go, how about checking with Shout Factory and Family Video?
Old 08-03-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope your surgery goes well Chad. Wow, it seems like a lot of us are having medical problems this year.
Old 08-03-12, 08:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
I'm not on the same computer I saved the info on, but I do recall a few suggestions mentioned...

- Earning a new wild card for every 100 films watched

- Changing 'Won an Academy Award' to 'Nominated for an Academy Award', ditching it altogether or adding more awards (ie Bafta)

- Combining 'Horror Host' with 'MST3K / Rifftrax / Cinematic Titanic'

- Combining 'Attack of / Day of / Night of / Return of / Revenge of' into one category or ditching them altogether

I'm sure someone will fill in the blanks.

I would say ditch the "Attack of / Day of / Night of...". There are only so many movies with those in there and they've been watched to death.

I like combining the "Horror Host" with the others.

Change the Academy Award to the Nominated for.

That's about all I can think of right now.
Old 08-03-12, 08:30 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh, have a category for "Teen Screams". There are a ton of movies out there for that. I also agree with Nodeerforamonth in that it should be changed to "Horror Challenge" if you are going to allow tv shows. Personally, I would just prefer the movies with no TV allowed. But that's just me.
Old 08-03-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

What happened to the Criterion Challenge in September?
Old 08-03-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
What happened to the Criterion Challenge in September?
That's an odd question in the October Horror Challenge Feedback thread.

Seriously, I've never participated in the Criterion challenge, so I can't recall off the top of my head who "hosts" that one, but I'm sure a thread will be created for that one in the not-too-distant future. Chad is only getting a jumpstart on the October challenge since it's possible he'll be out of the loop next month when much of the discussion, etc takes place.
Old 08-03-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Anyone else take vacation days in October specifically for extra movie time? (Ok and 1 to attend Oktober fest)
Old 08-03-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about double points for live events (plays, conventions, ect).
Bring back the Pre-MPAA check
And maybe kill/death-by checks? (Knife/machete, motor vehicle, radioactive liquor, aliens). Although that might add a bit too much to the checklist (just an idea).
Dump the academy awards category altogether.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 08-04-12 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Anyone else take vacation days in October specifically for extra movie time? (Ok and 1 to attend Oktober fest)
i take 4 day weekends every week starting in september and leading into October and take off the last week of October to celebrate Halloween....helps get viewing time in but usually spend my time off on trips to haunted houses and other festivities
Old 08-03-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

This thread has got me in the mood to watch some horror. I think this month I'll mix in some horror movies with the animation challenge.
Old 08-04-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggested this last year. To encourage more people to vote, make it that you can't be eligable for a prize if you don't vote.

Do you have a 3d category for your list? There's a few 3d horror films out now, not to mention The Creature of the Black Lagoon that's coming out.
Old 08-04-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pizza
Do you have a 3d category for your list?
Oh, good one.
Old 08-04-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote for dumping awards categories. Other than specialized awards its rare for a genre film to get nominated let alone win. I feel like the horror film has plenty of films that stand among any other more "legitimate" films that were never nominated for anything that it's just not needed.

I also agree with not being eligible for a prize unless you vote on lists.

Elvira/host should definitely be combined with riffing since many hosts did their own riffing anyways.

I think not allowing TV is silly since horror has a long and rich history in TV that gets more accessible every year.

And finally I'd ditch the night/day/dawn/whatever of title category. The titles are too limited.

I've been thinking about stocking up on movies and setting stuff aside for weeks now for the challenge and the bump in this thread has me so anxious!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.