DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone hardcore DVD collectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Anyone hardcore DVD collectors?

Originally Posted by Trevor
I said large collection, not weekend shopping spree.
Old 09-13-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

One thing that I wonder about is do you guys count the double, triple dipping as one or two/three? And those big random box sets with like 50 films in it, would one count that as 50 different movies one would own? Cause I own those random 50 movie horror sets and that would push my total like crazy.
Old 09-13-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

But do you two, or anyone with a large collection like us, really know how many titles you own? I can't imagine ever being honestly sure of my total. There are too many variables in how to count, in what counts, in whether some stuff is staying or going, etc. Even finding all of my DVDs seems impossible. Between random places they turn up in my home and friends returning borrowed titles at random times, and the constant purchasing and returning, my collection is in constant flux.
I have a rough idea generally but have to refer to my spreadsheet to be certain. My biggest thing of late has been inadvertently buying duplicates. I used to be great at avoiding that but I've run into a few issues lately. But as the collection grows, so does the likelihood of doing that.

As for finding stuff, I used to have a tough time, but my OCD has me keeping everything set up in a system where I can ALWAYS find things. I might have to open my spreadsheet to do so, but I know where everything is.
Old 09-13-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
One thing that I wonder about is do you guys count the double, triple dipping as one or two/three? And those big random box sets with like 50 films in it, would one count that as 50 different movies one would own? Cause I own those random 50 movie horror sets and that would push my total like crazy.
I would count movies as movies
Old 09-13-11, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here. I use collectors to organize my stuff and it gives me a total.
Old 09-13-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I passed 2K items this year. That includes DVDs, BRs, and television box sets. I did not realize just how much I had until I got DVDProfiler in January. While I think my collection is a bit ridiculous (especially given the amount of time I get to really watch films), I love it so very much. I worked in libraries throughout high school and college, and have a theory that my librarian tendencies cause me to want a definitive collection of films. I try to only buy films that I think of as spectacular or at least good in some way. I do tend to buy special editions or want them, and I have started replacing some DVDs with BRs but that is not a normal thing for me.

I am having storage issues too. I have everything organized on those chrome kitchen shelves. They are deep enough to have a line of DVDs in the back and still have room to display special sets in front.
Old 09-13-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I passed 2K items this year. That includes DVDs, BRs, and television box sets. I did not realize just how much I had until I got DVDProfiler in January. While I think my collection is a bit ridiculous (especially given the amount of time I get to really watch films), I love it so very much. I worked in libraries throughout high school and college, and have a theory that my librarian tendencies cause me to want a definitive collection of films. I try to only buy films that I think of as spectacular or at least good in some way. I do tend to buy special editions or want them, and I have started replacing some DVDs with BRs but that is not a normal thing for me.

I am having storage issues too. I have everything organized on those chrome kitchen shelves. They are deep enough to have a line of DVDs in the back and still have room to display special sets in front.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat about working at a library and also about the blu-ray. I'm getting a PS3 soon so I can start playing blu-ray. It just sucks as I really don't want to replace a whole lot, but I am a HUGE sucker for special features as I love the inside making of a movie and interviews and it seems they are now more focused on using that for blu-ray movies to get the dumbass buyer like myself to buy it.
Old 09-13-11, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 968 individual dvds. I have tons of tv season sets, complete series sets, and a lot of sets that have 2 or more discs in them. I'm really running out of space to put everything.
Old 09-14-11, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

But do you two, or anyone with a large collection like us, really know how many titles you own? I can't imagine ever being honestly sure of my total. There are too many variables in how to count, in what counts, in whether some stuff is staying or going, etc. Even finding all of my DVDs seems impossible. Between random places they turn up in my home and friends returning borrowed titles at random times, and the constant purchasing and returning, my collection is in constant flux.
At this point, I'm not even gonna bother trying to count DVDs (or VHS tapes for that matter, which greatly outnumber the DVDs). Just too many and too much work. The Blu-rays, though, I can count on two hands and two feet. Have yet to splurge on those.
Old 09-14-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
At this point, I'm not even gonna bother trying to count DVDs (or VHS tapes for that matter, which greatly outnumber the DVDs). Just too many and too much work. The Blu-rays, though, I can count on two hands and two feet. Have yet to splurge on those.
Start cataloging now before it gets worse.
Old 09-14-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

According to my database:

Theatrical features: 4832
TV movies: 81
TV mini-series: 28
Concerts: 21
Serials: 173
TV Series: 287 (most are complete)
Theatrical shorts: 1288 (Stooges, Looney Tunes, Disney Toons, etc.)
Old 09-14-11, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I have 968 individual dvds. I have tons of tv season sets, complete series sets, and a lot of sets that have 2 or more discs in them. I'm really running out of space to put everything.
Haha, me too, except I have thousands and thousands. I'm always selling off things too, I just keep buying more, though :/ I call it DVD hell, because I know I'm never going to be able to watch everything.
Old 09-14-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I really miss DVD Spot, which had all that information right on the front page. Curse you, C-NET! I use DVD Profiler to catalog my movies. I count TV season sets as 1 unit, but I count individual films in box sets, like Criterion Eclipse boxes individually, so for example my Carlos Saura Flamenco Trilogy box counts as 3 movies. OTOH, I just count sets like the Guns, Girls, and G-String set, which contains 12 films, as just 1 unit. According to DVD Profiler, I own 1863 movies, but the number of actual discs and individual titles is much higher.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-14-11 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-14-11, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy a dvd movie more than once for the re-mastered print.
Sometimes I would get burned like the movie BUGSY.
Now THE WARRIORS 2nd dvd looked better but was redone that it took away the violent look of the movie and made it more of a comic book movie.
Old 09-14-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gobear
I really miss DVD Spot, which had all that information right on the front page. Curse you, C-NET!
Yup. Things just haven't been the same since DVD Spot left us. A Google spreadsheet just isn't the same.
Old 09-14-11, 08:02 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

According to DVD Profiler I have 1647 titles (mix of TV shows, DVD movies and Blu Rays). I don't double dip, if I have the DVD I am fine with not upgrading to Blu. Most of the new movies I get on Blu though. And since coming to DVD Talk, I have saved a lot of money on my collection, but then again, thanks to DVD Talk I have spent a lot more due to the deals posted here.
Old 09-15-11, 07:04 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

If sheer numbers are how you define hardcore, then I guess I'll never be. But I'm just as proud of my collection as most of you are of yours, even though mine consists mainly of SciFi/Fantasy/Horror, with a light sprinkling of Action/Drama and even a couple of Comedies (although most Comedies are more stupid than funny to me), and being as proud of mine as I am, I feel inclined to list my numbers too: 545 DVDs (counting seasons as 1), 555 titles, or 931 discs (includes 2 that are on their way). Even if most do not consider this hardcore, I do... -kd5-
Old 09-15-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say numbers are the way to define hardcore, it's the effort you put into your collection. If some guy just goes in and buys out a video store that's closing down as a bulk purchase, he may have a lot but he's anything but hardcore. Anyone can just charge their card and get a large box of movies.

My collection is focused more on pre-90s horror, sci-fi and oddities with a large chunk of kids stuff.
Old 09-15-11, 09:59 AM

So to all the 'hardcore' collectors with large collections: Do you watch them?

In my early days of DVD ownership, I bought a lot of movies that were 'good' or I enjoyed them - but over the years found that I never actually watched all those good movies, so I now personally buy less.

So those with 500+ movies - Do you get around to watching all of them at some point? Or do you watch a subset, with the rest there just in case yuo wanna see that favorite movie?
Old 09-15-11, 10:01 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

I watch what I purchase, however considering what I've amassed, it's going to take a while!
Old 09-15-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch as many as I possibly can. For me, the option to watch whatever I want, whenever I want to watch it is a huge plus.
Old 09-15-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by johnmcboston

In my early days of DVD ownership, I bought a lot of movies that were 'good' or I enjoyed them - but over the years found that I never actually watched all those good movies, so I now personally buy less.

So those with 500+ movies - Do you get around to watching all of them at some point? Or do you watch a subset, with the rest there just in case yuo wanna see that favorite movie?
I tend to buy at a faster rate than I watch. I've been meaning to cut down on purchases, but every once in a while I stop at Book Off or Entertainment Outlet and see all these great bargains and go crazy. Just recently, for the upcoming October Horror Challenge, I bought 6 DVDs containing a total of 18 movies for just $30.

I can conceivably watch every DVD I have in my lifetime, but if I throw in all the movies I have on VHS (either pre-records or taped off TV), I have more than I'll ever be able to watch in my lifetime.

The plus side is that when we have the monthly challenges on this board, I'm able to pull everything I need from my collection. (Horror being the one exception, since I did decide to buy stuff for it this time.) But I like having physical media. And not having to depend on a source somewhere else for things I want to watch (e.g. a video store, Netflix, a server, etc.).
Old 09-15-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to believe I've slowed down in buying. Since there's only so much older stuff, which is my main focus, it eventually gets to a point where I can't easily walk into Best Buy and pick up some box set. When I was tracking it a for a few years, I was getting 500 new titles every 6 months, almost like clockwork.

I try to cut down my unwatched pile but with something like the Criterion challenge where I'm streaming stuff I don't have off Hulu, it doesn't help any. My theory for doing this is that my physical discs aren't going anywhere but you never know with streaming. I am pulling out my horror Criterion DVDs at the end of the month to kick off the Horror challenge, where I will be watching stuff I have, or so I tell myself. I know I'm just going to stream stuff when I'm at work which shouldn't be too bad.
Old 09-15-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by johnmcboston

I still got a lot to watch, but the movies I buy, when I watch it, I watch the special features as well. Before I got crazy, when I had maybe 100-200 movies, I also listened to the audio commentary as well but doubt I will ever do that again.
Old 09-15-11, 12:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I watch as many as I possibly can. For me, the option to watch whatever I want, whenever I want to watch it is a huge plus.
This is key for me as well.

I like being able to watch what I want, when I want. Renting doesn't help me much as I can buy for about the same price as renting, and by the time an item I want to watch arrived, I was on to wanting to watch something else. With a collection in the multiple thousands, there is always something I want to watch on my shelves.

I watch slightly more than I buy now, so I imagine I'll eventually get to the point where everything is watched. But it doesn't really matter if I do. I lend out almost as much as I watch myself, so my collection definitely gets "it's money's worth".

I'm a collector at heart, all my life, so part of my motivation for owning so many is that aspect of things; but I never buy anything that I don't expect to watch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.