Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

That '70 Show Re-Issues in Widescreen

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-12-11, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I recently purchased "'That '70s Show': King Kelso - 10 Best Episodes" and it features episodes from multiple different seasons and I'm proud to annouce that some -- NOT ALL are featured in widescreen 16x9. Here are some snapshots from each episode. I'll post a picture of the slipcover & artwork soon -- there's no information on this Best of DVD anywhere - no amazon or Mill Creek's Official Website.

4 out of 10 are in Widescreen -- which still pretty good.

I believe Season 3 & 4 will be released in widescreen since those are the ones in widescreen on this dvd.

1. Water Tower (from Season 1)
Spoiler:

2. Prank Day (from Season 4)
Spoiler:

3. The Velvet Rope (from Season 2)
Spoiler:

4. The Acid Queen (from Season 6)
Spoiler:

5. Black Dog (from Season 5)
Spoiler:

6. Ice Shack (from Season 3)
Spoiler:

7. Misty Mountain Hop (from Season 5)
Spoiler:

8. Baby Don't You Do It (from Season 6)
Spoiler:

9. Dine and Dash (from Season 3)
Spoiler:

10. Eric's Panties (from Season 3)
Spoiler:
Old 09-12-11, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: That '70 Show Re-Issues in Widescreen

Thank you for your hard work in putting this post together.
Old 09-28-11, 04:21 PM
Cool New Member

I specifically contacted TVShowsOnDVD.com about this months ago when Mill Creek made the announcement of re-releases. I mentioned that ABC Family airs the show in HD, so there must be HD versions of the episodes available. They said it was too late for Mill Creek to release seasons 1 and 2 in HD, but that they would get in touch with them about releasing future seasons in 16:9. I'm guessing they took note!
Old 10-03-11, 02:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wasn't broadcast originally in widescreen, so why should it be released that way now ?
Old 10-03-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
It wasn't broadcast originally in widescreen, so why should it be released that way now ?
There's a weird thing about a lot of 90s TV shows. Many of them were actually shot in widescreen anticipating the switch to that aspect ratio for HD TVs in the future, even though they were aired 1:33.

So now that widescreen HD TV is more or less the norm, a lot of these shows are being aired in widescreen in re-runs, and shows like Seinfeld and Friends and That 70s Show look different, you see a lot more information, since the 1:33 image was essentially cropped, even though it was composed so that the image worked in both aspect ratios.

So weirdly in this case, a widescreen image for a TV show originally aired full frame IS actually more picture information, rather than masked or stretches/squeezed.
Old 10-03-11, 04:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Seinfeld and Friends episodes actually look they they are stretched when they are broadcast on TBS/TNT. I don't think those two were shot in widescreen.
Old 10-03-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Friends is airing in HD/Widescreen for the first time in the U.S. on Nick at Nite. TBS/TNT still shows the old 4x3 stretched to 16x9 versions. Seinfeld has been airing in widescreen for a while now.
i
Also, if you have Netflix streaming they have all seasons of That 70's show in HD/widescreen.

It is very cool to see these 90's TV shows opened up and in HD, even though we never saw them that way when they initially aired.
Old 10-04-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Friends is airing in HD/Widescreen for the first time in the U.S. on Nick at Nite. TBS/TNT still shows the old 4x3 stretched to 16x9 versions. Seinfeld has been airing in widescreen for a while now.
i
Also, if you have Netflix streaming they have all seasons of That 70's show in HD/widescreen.
It is very cool to see these 90's TV shows opened up and in HD, even though we never saw them that way when they initially aired.
Cool just added them.
Old 10-05-11, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this is interesting. It gives me some hope we will see Seinfeld re-released in HD on Blu-Ray some day.