DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

BR Final Cut vs Star Wars SE's

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
BR Final Cut vs Star Wars SE's

Just curious.

Why are most people pleased with Ridley Scott's Final Cut of BR, but a vocal majority vehemently dislike the SE versions of Star Wars?
Old 09-01-11, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: BR Final Cut vs Star Wars SE's

BR is a frequent abbreviation for Blu-ray, so you might want to make the effort to spell out "Blade Runner," especially in thread titles.

To answer your questions, I can think of a couple of reasons: First, Ridley Scott had some things in the theatrical cut of "Blade Runner" imposed upon him by the producers/studio. His final cut put things back the way he wanted them to be to begin with. Lucas' revisions are just repeated tinkering that do more harm to the movies than help.

And the bottom line is, all versions of "Blade Runner," including the original theatrical cut, are available on DVD and Blu-ray. Lucas has withdrawn the original versions of the movies.
Old 09-01-11, 09:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ What he said.

And the SE additions to SW are largely bad. Most wouldn't mind them much as long as the original versions were available, him not releasing them is the major cause of the frustration and anger.
Old 09-01-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Lucas has withdrawn the original versions of the movies.
I wouldn't say that since he released the originals on DVD after the SE.

Star Wars alterations are more blatant than Blade Runner. The bigger they are, the more cartoonish they seem to be. Actors and puppets get replaced. More Vader screaming "nooooo" added at every twist and turn. Subtle changes shouldn't be real issues but major ones that don't serve real purposes to fixing anything are what make people crazy.

At least that's just my thoughts.
Old 09-01-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Content is the big one (Scott isn't adding CGI clowns juggling vodka bottles in the background for example), but presentation is the other. The big set from a couple years back has, essentially, 5 1/2 versions of the movie included. And I'll admit right now, I'm one of those three weirdos out there that prefers the voiceover version, so I basically bought that big set to get a clean copy of that version.

I also double dipped on Close Encounters of the Third Kind (from the 2 disc set to the 3 version set), because I sometimes like watching the "special" ending.
Old 09-01-11, 11:03 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. The original theatrical release was comprised by the studios, and the biggest changes for the Final Cut and Director's Cut were about restoring what Ridley Scott originally intended.

2. When digital effects were used for the Final Cut, it was about fixing gaffes in the film, instead of adding new content or changing original content to something completely different.

3. Most importantly, he included every version of the film in fully remastered HD form (as opposed to the limited run, non-anamorphic Laserdisc ports that were released on DVD of the original Star Wars trilogy). A lot of the controversy surrounding Lucas's tinkering would be tempered if he made the original, unaltered versions of the original trilogy available in HD form alongside the new versions.

Last edited by sb5; 09-01-11 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I wouldn't say that since he released the originals on DVD after the SE.
I stand by my statement because that DVD release has been out of print for a while now, with no signs of a re-release coming.