DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2011 The Criterion Collection - Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: 2011 The Criterion Collection - Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Trevor
You've become the de-facto back-up lead. If Chad, Mister Peepers, or The Monkees ever have a power outage, I hope you're ready to step in there too.
You know, to be honest, I'm only marginally comfortable as a participant in the other challenges. I'd be a horrible host for those. And even though I dig playing along with the Horror Challenge...that one scares me!

Really? Wow. I'm all about debate over trivial matters when I'm in the mood; and for one's own collection I can see deciding to count or not count certain fringe parts of their library; but for this Challenge I see no reason to exclude anything.
The debate I had wasn't about this challenge, but rather how another website ought to adopt a more holistic view of the Criterion Collection. I argued in favor of expanding the section on Criterion and, to put it mildly, it did not go well. I don't care to elaborate beyond that, because it's bad form to do so, but I do feel entitled to share that I had a frustrating time over this very issue elsewhere.

I sometimes forget just unique the civility on this forum is!
Old 08-18-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just ordered a couple used copies of Robocop and Life of Brian, both Criterion Collection editions at Amazon for $3 each. My first ever Criterion DVDs. I might try the Hulu plus trial as well.
Old 08-18-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

You've become the de-facto back-up lead. If Chad, Mister Peepers, or The Monkees ever have a power outage, I hope you're ready to step in there too.
I take it you left me off that list because you wanted to keep the plum position as MYOC Second-in-Command for yourself.
Old 08-18-11, 06:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I take it you left me off that list because you wanted to keep the plum position as MYOC Second-in-Command for yourself.
Doh! I knew I was forgetting at least a couple Challenge leads, Caligulathegod another; but yes, MYOC is a favorite of mine. Not sure if I could pick just one though.
Old 08-18-11, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just to whet the appetite, any ideas on this month's newsletter hint. I'm thinking Fail-Safe ("I am the matador!")

Old 08-18-11, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
It's all you, hoss!
Sounds good.

I think so far the idea has been to simply expand to include titles streaming as part of the Criterion Collection on HuluPlus, which is different from future releases.
Originally Posted by Gobear
As Sondheim indicated, my question wasn't about speculative titles, but Hulu Plus Criterion titles that aren't actual Criterion releases, like To Be or Not to Be, which is an OOP Warner disc, or Mikio Naruse's Wife, which AFAIK has never been commercially released in North America.
After I checked out the Hulu+ website, I see what you all are saying and I would agree. Generally speaking, I default to Trevor's perspective towards all challenges. I'd rather be the inclusive person and bring in as many participants as possible. These titles do have Criterion listed as the studio. So, I'm happy with that. I wasn't sure exactly what we were talking about there.

Scrapping categories? Which ones?
Last year there was some talk of scrapping the Genres. The reason for this is that there are some fairly massive underrepresented genres within the collection and many are difficult to define. If we want to keep the Genres I would at least propose that we refine them a bit for representation.

I would suggest adding a couple of new checklist items "---watch a film that is new to you" and "---watch a selection from Roger Ebert's Great Film series."
I kind of like it. What do others think?

As others have said, I think this Challenge in particular runs itself and doesn't need much work. We probably should seek a sponsor or three for some prizes.
Agreed. It was pretty simple putting things together last year, mainly because you laid the foundation the previous year. If anyone wants to take the reins on the sponsor part, please do.

On the checklist, I selfishly think it's pretty perfect and shouldn't be tweaked much, if at all. The other Challenges have some very subjective categories, like directors and actors and subgenres. While nice for them, I wanted this one to be more clear-cut and stable. I consider the decades, genres, languages, and spine number categories to be the critical meat of the checklist, and the scant other items to be optional/changeable. Just my opinion of course, but if I had any Challenge creator powers they would include not making the checklist complex or variable like the other Challenges.
I completely agree with your perspective here. Part of my reason for wanting to switch it a bit was because I feel that genres are subjective. Is Life Aquatic Action/Adventure, Drama, or Comedy? I realize that the answer is all three would be acceptable, but the real problem for me is the underrepresented Genres like "Science Fiction" and "Horror." I realize that there are a couple dozen titles out there, but there are literally hundreds of "drama" titles. I thought that if we shifted that to people like Bergman, Godard, Kurosawa, (Ozu...for GoBear...), then it might be easier to define those things.

Would merging some of the categories make more sense for everyone? I feel like this should be more democratic than dictatorial. This isn't my checklist, it's our checklist. Also, I like leaning towards Trevor on these because he set up the challenge in the first place.

My apologies for the length of the post...wanted to respond to as many of these items as possible.
Old 08-18-11, 10:27 PM

Agreed! I hope I don't sound too domineering or anything in my comments. I'm not trying to have my cake and eat it too (get my way but not have to run the Challenge), but just giving my opinions.
Not at all. I started participating in challenges, in part, because you were always inclusive to people and I hope that same sentiment is communicated here. I didn't complete the checklist last year, but I don't feel bad about it. I think of the checklist as something to push me to explore new content, not as something that I have to complete to be a "real" participant.

To anyone reading this thread thinking of joining the challenge, please do, we're not a bunch of snobs only talking about films you've never heard of. There are plenty of mainstream films released by Criterion on laserdisc, DVD, BD, etc. There's something for everyone.
Old 08-18-11, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding genres, maybe the solution would be to simply open it up to "Watch movies from five different genres" with the clause that you can only use one movie for one genre. So if you wanted to count Life Aquatic for Comedy, that's fine but you couldn't also count it for Adventure.
Old 08-18-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
If anyone wants to take the reins on the sponsor part, please do.
You might want to PM one of the other challenge hosts, like Chad or Mister Peepers. They can guide you on how to ask for sponsors. This is a pretty limited challenge, but it's worth making a try.
Old 08-19-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
You might want to PM one of the other challenge hosts, like Chad or Mister Peepers. They can guide you on how to ask for sponsors. This is a pretty limited challenge, but it's worth making a try.
Rich (GoldenWheels) at Hamilton Books is awfully generous. Not sure what prizes might be appropriate for a Criterion Challenge, of course, but I'm sure he can find something!
Old 08-19-11, 08:17 AM

Last year there was some talk of scrapping the Genres. The reason for this is that there are some fairly massive underrepresented genres within the collection and many are difficult to define. If we want to keep the Genres I would at least propose that we refine them a bit for representation.
Good point, the genre sections of each Challenge checklist are often confusing or difficult, particularly the Challenges with multiple similar subgenres.

We created this one to be simpler, but to still get people to broaden their tastes.
I completely agree with your perspective here. Part of my reason for wanting to switch it a bit was because I feel that genres are subjective. Is Life Aquatic Action/Adventure, Drama, or Comedy? I realize that the answer is all three would be acceptable, but the real problem for me is the underrepresented Genres like "Science Fiction" and "Horror." I realize that there are a couple dozen titles out there, but there are literally hundreds of "drama" titles.
I think as long as a broad genre has at least a dozen options in the Criterion extended catalog, it could be ok to leave in.
I thought that if we shifted that to people like Bergman, Godard, Kurosawa, (Ozu...for GoBear...), then it might be easier to define those things.
I love the director idea, again as long as there are at least a dozen options.
Would merging some of the categories make more sense for everyone? I feel like this should be more democratic than dictatorial. This isn't my checklist, it's our checklist. Also, I like leaning towards Trevor on these because he set up the challenge in the first place.
The original genres here were sort of thrown together with little thought or discussion, so tweaking is definitely in order. Any specific ideas?
Not at all. I started participating in challenges, in part, because you were always inclusive to people and I hope that same sentiment is communicated here. I didn't complete the checklist last year, but I don't feel bad about it. I think of the checklist as something to push me to explore new content, not as something that I have to complete to be a "real" participant.
Exactly. I like this checklist being simpler and easier than the other Challenges, not exactly sure why, but still a bit of a challenge.

To anyone reading this thread thinking of joining the challenge, please do, we're not a bunch of snobs only talking about films you've never heard of. There are plenty of mainstream films released by Criterion on laserdisc, DVD, BD, etc. There's something for everyone.
Great point! When I first got into film and DVDs, I thought of Criterion fans as artsy fartsy snobs. My first Criterion purchases were mainstream titles like Silence of the Lambs, Robocop, and, I'll admit it, Armageddon. Thanks to their great job on supplements on some of those titles, I took chances on some of their other releases when they went on sale. Before I knew what was happening, I was loving the "artsy" films as much as my Godzilla films.
Regarding genres, maybe the solution would be to simply open it up to "Watch movies from five different genres" with the clause that you can only use one movie for one genre. So if you wanted to count Life Aquatic for Comedy, that's fine but you couldn't also count it for Adventure.
Great idea!

But I think I still prefer mandating a range of genres, just to force people out of their box. The main point of the checklists is to broaden people's ranges, the next is to add some challenge to participation.
Old 08-19-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great idea!

But I think I still prefer mandating a range of genres, just to force people out of their box. The main point of the checklists is to broaden people's ranges, the next is to add some challenge to participation.
Well, the nice thing is that there are really only so many genres anyway, so if we have to pick five different genres--each represented by a unique movie--I think that addresses the point of expanding one's horizons. I mean, really, the only genres are:

Action
Adventure
Comedy
Crime*
Drama
Fantasy
Historical Epic*
Horror
Science-Fiction
Western

*Not entirely sure these are genres.

Everything else is just a sub-genre of these. Animation isn't a genre; it's a medium, and in any event, there's not a lot of it in the Criterion Collection. (Is there any?)

So if we take that group of ten genres--or swap out the *s for two we prefer--then my suggestion would have participants having to watch one movie for half of them. That seems like a pretty reasonable nudge to explore.

Also, for what it's worth, Criterion.com makes no reference to genre, except within essays or the occasional synopsis. You can't sort the collection by genre, and there are no genre labels on the pages for each movie. The message seems to be either, "Genre is irrelevant" or "Too much hassle." Given the lengths to which they go for their releases and website, it's hard to imagine they drew the line at assigning genres. I think instead they favor a more holistic view of films that ignores genre labels--which all too often become barriers.
Old 08-19-11, 09:37 AM

^ True, but people who hate horror and sci-fi can still easily steer clear of those, and pick 5 very similar films. It seems like lots of films have multiple genres listed, and the same type of film could be listed for Action, Adventure, Crime, and Drama; with Comedy and even Western being combo'd with other genres easily.

I like forcing people to choose genres that are dissimilar, and out of the dramedy or action mainstream.

Maybe make comedy, horror, and sci-fi mandatory; but leave the other two up to the individual?
Old 08-19-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ True, but people who hate horror and sci-fi can still easily steer clear of those, and pick 5 very similar films. It seems like lots of films have multiple genres listed, and the same type of film could be listed for Action, Adventure, Crime, and Drama; with Comedy and even Western being combo'd with other genres easily.

I like forcing people to choose genres that are dissimilar, and out of the dramedy or action mainstream.

Maybe make comedy, horror, and sci-fi mandatory; but leave the other two up to the individual?
Well, don't forget that the next challenge after this one is Horror, so requiring that specific genre for this challenge seems a little much. I suspect most participants will get the itch and start with some horror near the end of September for this challenge as a prelude anyway. I recall several of us discussed doing so last year. In fact, the last movie I watched was Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I timed so it overlapped the end of this and beginning of Horror and counted it for both.

I dunno, it feels like at this point maybe we're getting too much into micromanaging the challenge, rather than guiding it. Maybe I'm just not properly enthused at the moment, though, so feel free to dismiss my misgivings on the matter!

I forget: do we have "Watch a short film" on the checklist? There are several included as bonus features throughout the collection. Also, I think last year I suggested we consider adding, "Read an insert booklet" to the list. It occurs to me that, for those who will be streaming or renting their selections and won't have access to the booklets that the essays are all available to read on Criterion.com. So if we do add that to the checklist, perhaps it should instead be something more generic like, "Read an essay."

Lastly, had it not been for venturing into the Criterion Collection during last year's challenge, I might still have not begun watching Ingmar Bergman movies. I wouldn't have ever guessed it would actually bother me that Persona isn't in the Criterion Collection, but it does. In fact, I had no idea that movie existed, much less hadn't received the Criterion treatment.

There is something intimidating about Criterion, and I think a big part of it comes from the fact that so many fans tout it as the most elite level of being a movie fan. It's as though once you truly appreciate Criterion selections, anything else is mindless drivel to be scorned whenever possible. I know last year we had a lively discussion thread where several of us worked through that perception and found that we really did enjoy a lot of our first time viewings.

I have no problem saying I also loved Transformers: Dark of the Moon when I saw it. Finding out you dig Bergman doesn't have to make you a pretentious snob who's too good for a movie about robots beating the hell out of each other. If I had one hope for this challenge, it's that newbies like me would learn that those two kinds of fandom are not mutually exclusive.
Old 08-19-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Animation isn't a genre; it's a medium, and in any event, there's not a lot of it in the Criterion Collection. (Is there any?)
I'd disagree with it not being a genre, based on the definition of genre from dictionary.com

a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like: the genre of epic poetry; the genre of symphonic music.
As for the second part, I don't think there is any.

What about Music/Musical or Documentary? I do seem them as potentially being too limited to make it to the list.
Old 08-19-11, 10:15 AM

Well, don't forget that the next challenge after this one is Horror, so requiring that specific genre for this challenge seems a little much. I suspect most participants will get the itch and start with some horror near the end of September for this challenge as a prelude anyway. I recall several of us discussed doing so last year. In fact, the last movie I watched was Bram Stoker's Dracula, which I timed so it overlapped the end of this and beginning of Horror and counted it for both.
While many of us do multiple Challenges, I think it's best to think of them as completely independent. We shouldn't assume that any participant is going to go on to the Horror Challenge.

Many of us will of course, and the smart ones will watch our horror Criterion so that it ends just after midnight on the 31st/1st.
I dunno, it feels like at this point maybe we're getting too much into micromanaging the challenge, rather than guiding it. Maybe I'm just not properly enthused at the moment, though, so feel free to dismiss my misgivings on the matter!
I don't think we're there yet, just brainstorming. But then, I micromanage my 25 year old receipts, so perhaps I'm mot a good judge.
I forget: do we have "Watch a short film" on the checklist? There are several included as bonus features throughout the collection.
I think it's on there, if not, sounds like a good addition to me!
Also, I think last year I suggested we consider adding, "Read an insert booklet" to the list. It occurs to me that, for those who will be streaming or renting their selections and won't have access to the booklets that the essays are all available to read on Criterion.com. So if we do add that to the checklist, perhaps it should instead be something more generic like, "Read an essay."
We've always had a checklist entry to devour a release entirely, every special feature and booklet, but I like the thought of adding "read an essay" as well.
Lastly, had it not been for venturing into the Criterion Collection during last year's challenge, I might still have not begun watching Ingmar Bergman movies. I wouldn't have ever guessed it would actually bother me that Persona isn't in the Criterion Collection, but it does. In fact, I had no idea that movie existed, much less hadn't received the Criterion treatment.
Hopefully this Challenge will expose at least one person a year to something new to them and great like Bergman or Kurosawa.
There is something intimidating about Criterion, and I think a big part of it comes from the fact that so many fans tout it as the most elite level of being a movie fan. It's as though once you truly appreciate Criterion selections, anything else is mindless drivel to be scorned whenever possible. I know last year we had a lively discussion thread where several of us worked through that perception and found that we really did enjoy a lot of our first time viewings.

I have no problem saying I also loved Transformers: Dark of the Moon when I saw it. Finding out you dig Bergman doesn't have to make you a pretentious snob who's too good for a movie about robots beating the hell out of each other. If I had one hope for this challenge, it's that newbies like me would learn that those two kinds of fandom are not mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd disagree with it not being a genre, based on the definition of genre from dictionary.com

What about Music/Musical or Documentary? I do seem them as potentially being too limited to make it to the list.
Yeah, no animation at all iirc.

Musicals and Documentaries probably have at least a dozen choices each, but if we make them non-mandatory or part of a choose-your-own they would work well.
Old 08-19-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I looked for "animation" on dictionary.com but their definition wasn't terribly helpful. I did, however, turn up "animated cartoon":

noun
a motion picture consisting of a sequence of drawings, each so slightly different that when filmed and run through a projector the figures seem to move.
That sounds more technical than stylistic to me; ergo, a medium rather than genre. After all, there are animated fantasies, animated science-fiction, animated comedies, animated action movies, etc. Being animated may have specific aesthetic implications, but those are different from storytelling choices.

Of course, our little debate over semantics is rendered moot entirely here because:

Music/Musical and Documentary both sound viable to me. Neither is particularly dominant in the Criterion Collection, but at least they're something distinctive. I'd suggest replacing Historical Epic on that list I offered with one of these. Crime seems more prevalent than either Music/Musical or Documentary but I may be entirely wrong about that.
Old 08-19-11, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

There are a handful of musicals and documentaries that would qualify (Gimme Shelter, Le Million, etc.)

Another checklist possibility that came to mind was by country, but we do have by language, which is pretty similar.
Old 08-19-11, 10:39 AM

I think as long as a broad genre has at least a dozen options in the Criterion extended catalog, it could be ok to leave in.

I love the director idea, again as long as there are at least a dozen options.
The problem is that Criterion hasn't defined the genres for us. I like the fact that one can look on the checklist, see that they need a decade, spine number, or language and find that from the Criterion website. Also, if you're watching 8 1/2it's spine #140, Italian, and there is no debating that, so it makes it simple to know what you need.

I'm backtracking on my own director idea only because if someone hates Bergman, I don't want to "force" them to watch something they hate. For the record, Bergman is my favorite director, but when people say they don't like him, I understand.

The original genres here were sort of thrown together with little thought or discussion, so tweaking is definitely in order. Any specific ideas?
We could either merge a number of categories, or, we could go along with the Criterion website and have people seek out different themes:

http://www.criterion.com/explore/themes

We could do the same thing that you did with the "Watch films in at least five languages" and have "Watch films from at least five different themes from Criterion's website"

I think enough variety grows naturally out of the collection. Forbidden Games and The Battle of Algiers are both war films, but have a dissimilar focus and feel to them.

Exactly. I like this checklist being simpler and easier than the other Challenges, not exactly sure why, but still a bit of a challenge.
I agree, but statistically, it isn't. I looked back at last year's challenge and nobody finished the checklist.

Let me know what you all (everybody) think is best.
Old 08-19-11, 10:45 AM

I forget: do we have "Watch a short film" on the checklist? There are several included as bonus features throughout the collection. Also, I think last year I suggested we consider adding, "Read an insert booklet" to the list. It occurs to me that, for those who will be streaming or renting their selections and won't have access to the booklets that the essays are all available to read on Criterion.com. So if we do add that to the checklist, perhaps it should instead be something more generic like, "Read an essay."
Yes, we do have "watch a short" and I've read that Hulu+ has been slowly putting supplemental material on its site. Essays can be read on Criterion's website and I like the idea there. I will add that, it's a rather innocuous category, with an explanation that essays can be found in booklets and on Criterion's website.
Old 08-19-11, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Another checklist possibility that came to mind was by country, but we do have by language, which is pretty similar.
I had originally thought of switching it (Criterion's website does it by country), but one could probably find 5 English-speaking countries and get around having to venture out into other languages. So, I think the way Trevor originally conceived it, was a good choice.
Old 08-19-11, 11:28 AM

The problem is that Criterion hasn't defined the genres for us. I like the fact that one can look on the checklist, see that they need a decade, spine number, or language and find that from the Criterion website. Also, if you're watching 8 1/2it's spine #140, Italian, and there is no debating that, so it makes it simple to know what you need.
Good point. Keeping all the checklist items easily discernable from the Criterion sortings would make things very convenient.
I'm backtracking on my own director idea only because if someone hates Bergman, I don't want to "force" them to watch something they hate. For the record, Bergman is my favorite director, but when people say they don't like him, I understand.
Good point. We could have a list of the ten most represented directors, and let each participant choose five.
We could either merge a number of categories, or, we could go along with the Criterion website and have people seek out different themes:

http://www.criterion.com/explore/themes

We could do the same thing that you did with the "Watch films in at least five languages" and have "Watch films from at least five different themes from Criterion's website".
I haven't looked at their website themes closely, but I think this sounds perfect.
I agree, but statistically, it isn't. I looked back at last year's challenge and nobody finished the checklist.
True, but then, this Challenge gets less fanatical participation and marathoning that is perhaps more understandable with the specific genre Challenges.

I think the checklist here is the simplest one by far, right?
Yes, we do have "watch a short" and I've read that Hulu+ has been slowly putting supplemental material on its site. Essays can be read on Criterion's website and I like the idea there. I will add that, it's a rather innocuous category, with an explanation that essays can be found in booklets and on Criterion's website.
The more I hear about Hulu Plus the more certain it is that they are going to get my money. I recently cancelled cable, so I guess I can justify the $13 a month or whatever it is.
I had originally thought of switching it (Criterion's website does it by country), but one could probably find 5 English-speaking countries and get around having to venture out into other languages. So, I think the way Trevor originally conceived it, was a good choice.
One minor aspect of that that I'm proud of, and it may not have been my idea, was to not mandate English. I think all of the other Challenges make it "x number of languages besides English", and I wish we would change that.
Old 08-19-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Ha ha
Old 08-19-11, 12:51 PM

Good point. Keeping all the checklist items easily discernable from the Criterion sortings would make things very convenient.

Good point. We could have a list of the ten most represented directors, and let each participant choose five.
I like it. It looks like there are 11 directors with 11 or more films in the collection (Truffaut and Rossellini are tied with 11). It breaks down like this:

Akira Kurosawa - 36
Ingmar Bergman - 26
Yasujiro Ozu - 22
Louis Malle - 18
Federico Fellini - 13
James Ivory - 13
Jean Renoir - 13
Michael Powell - 13
Jean-Luc Godard - 12
François Truffaut - 11
Roberto Rossellini - 11

11 doesn't have the same ring as ten, but it is 11 directors with 11 or more, which has a nice ring to it.

I haven't looked at their website themes closely, but I think this sounds perfect.
Cool...I'm going to throw together a draft of the new checklist later tonight and then we can all fine tune the other details.

True, but then, this Challenge gets less fanatical participation and marathoning that is perhaps more understandable with the specific genre Challenges.

I think the checklist here is the simplest one by far, right?
Agreed, absolutely. Also, if I'm remembering correctly, you (or we) had conceived of this being more about depth than breadth. I still like that approach.

The more I hear about Hulu Plus the more certain it is that they are going to get my money. I recently cancelled cable, so I guess I can justify the $13 a month or whatever it is.
It's $7.99. I feel the same way, I'm going to do the trial during the challenge and see how it goes, but I watch a lot of Criterion and I would say that a good percentage of the discs that I receive from Netflix are from Criterion.

I do wish Hulu was on more devices and I could more easily watch it from my TV; right now that's one of the main things holding me back. I love the partnership they have with Criterion right now and I could easily justify the cost by the fact that I would be less inclined to binge on physical media during the B&N sales.
Old 08-19-11, 01:00 PM

I like it. It looks like there are 11 directors with 11 or more films in the collection (Truffaut and Rossellini are tied with 11). It breaks down like this:

Akira Kurosawa - 36
Ingmar Bergman - 26
Yasujiro Ozu - 22
Louis Malle - 18
Federico Fellini - 13
James Ivory - 13
Jean Renoir - 13
Michael Powell - 13
Jean-Luc Godard - 12
François Truffaut - 11
Roberto Rossellini - 11

11 doesn't have the same ring as ten, but it is 11 directors with 11 or more, which has a nice ring to it.
Scratch the above list...Criterion is double-counting some titles. I'll do some investigating later tonight and find out the real top ten (with numbers). Basically, it counts the box as a title for box sets, the 50 years of Janus box set, etc. as additional titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.