Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

C'mon - what's the holdup on RACE FOR YOUR LIFE and BON VOYAGE, CHARLIE BROWN ??

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

C'mon - what's the holdup on RACE FOR YOUR LIFE and BON VOYAGE, CHARLIE BROWN ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: C'mon - what's the holdup on RACE FOR YOUR LIFE and BON VOYAGE, CHARLIE BROWN ??

Too bad that the theatrical films can't get Blu-ray releases. Might still get these anyways.
Old 02-10-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Re: C'mon - what's the holdup on RACE FOR YOUR LIFE and BON VOYAGE, CHARLIE BROWN ??

Race For Your Life came out today (dvd only) and I was just curious if any has gotten a copy yet? I was wondering about the picture quality on it. Is it OAR?
Old 02-10-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Race For Your Life came out today (dvd only) and I was just curious if any has gotten a copy yet? I was wondering about the picture quality on it. Is it OAR?
I pre-ordered it but chose no-rush shipping so projected delivery date is 2/17.

Old 02-10-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Target has it on sale for $9.99 this week and a 10% coupon in their cartwheel as well.
Old 02-10-15, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately the aspect ratio is widescreen, the back cover of the Canadian DVD release can be viewed at Amazon (Canada)
Old 02-10-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Both of these movies have had fairly decent HD transfers running on cable for several years, albeit in cropped widescreen form.

I am more surprised they didn't try this release on Blu-ray, though the entire Peanuts catalog has always been treated strangely on home video.
Old 02-11-15, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by joltman
Wasn't it released theatrically, meaning it should be widescreen?
For the last time, a theatrical screening in widescreen, doesn't mean an animated movie was produced for widescreen. Especially in the USA, where is seems many theaters were no longer able to show 1.33:1/1.37:1.

Animated movies are usually designed for one aspect ratio, which is often 1.33:1/1.37:1 in the case of these older animated movies. Exceptions are rare like Lady and the Tramp, and older CGI movies from Pixar.

People often claim older animated movies were protected for widescreen, but comparisons always show scenes clearly designed for full screen.

Last edited by Kirben; 02-11-15 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

FWIW, every animated movie I projected on 35mm between 1992 and 2001 was hard-matted to 1.85 (except of course ones done in 2.35 scope). Some like Disney were likely meant to be in 1.66 instead, but I never saw a single one that did not have the larger frame lines, and I checked every one! (I THINK the "Picachu's Vacation" short on the first Pokemon movie MIGHT have been 'full-frame', but I can't even be sure about that. I know the movie itself was hard-matted.)
Old 02-11-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kirben
For the last time, a theatrical screening in widescreen, doesn't mean an animated movie was produced for widescreen. Especially in the USA, where is seems many theaters were no longer able to show 1.33:1/1.37:1.

Animated movies are usually designed for one aspect ratio, which is often 1.33:1/1.37:1 in the case of these older animated movies. Exceptions are rare like Lady and the Tramp, and older CGI movies from Pixar.

People often claim older animated movies were protected for widescreen, but comparisons always show scenes clearly designed for full screen.
So do you know what aspect ratio RFYLCB was designed for? IMDB lists it as 1.85:1.

I am just curious as I know the IMDB is not correct a lot of the time.
Old 02-11-15, 05:22 PM

So do you know what aspect ratio RFYLCB was designed for? IMDB lists it as 1.85:1.
All the older Peanuts movies were produced for full frame, so expect to see vertical cropping on the DVD release.

I am just curious as I know the IMDB is not correct a lot of the time.
Yes, IMDB is frequently incorrect for animated movies and series. In particular animated titles from 2000s from Warner Brothers, where the widescreen versions were not seen for many years.
Old 02-12-15, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

But produced for and designed for are two different things. It's no different than a film being shot in 1.33:1 but meant to be cropped to 1.85:1.
Old 02-14-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked my copy up today but haven't watched it yet. Honestly though, at this point I'm just glad to be able to add it to my collection. I hope it is in OAR, but I guess something is better than nothing (and it's been so long since I've watched it I wonder if I'd even notice it).
Old 08-26-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I watched Race for Your Life and was surprised by how much of it I remembered.

Meanwhile, this popped up in my Amazon recommendations as an October 6 release:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011MUA7ZY

Old 08-26-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I watched Race for Your Life and was surprised by how much of it I remembered.
I had this feeling watching the first three seasons of Night Court -- I saw the initial shows and probably summer reruns but I don't recall seeing them again in syndication yet I remembered so many classic lines and scenes. I guess chalk up to being young and impressionable.