Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jackass 3.5 R-rated DVD bleeps out all the language

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-14-11, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rented this from redbox and ALL of the curse words are bleeped out. Just a warning to anyone who wants to rent this.
Old 06-14-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jackass 3.5 R-rated DVD bleeps out all the language

Well, f*ck that sh*t. Thanks for the heads up. Might as well watch it on MTV.
Old 06-14-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you're saying the rental copy will show shit but can't say "shit"?
Old 06-15-11, 01:07 PM

^^^ yes I am.
Old 06-15-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it a special version for Redbox? I've run across crap like that with a couple horror movies from them.
Old 06-15-11, 03:38 PM
Banned

Is the title/disc art bleeped out too?
Old 06-16-11, 01:19 AM

I'm actually a fan of bleeping. Sometimes it can be really funny, when you're not sure exactly what someone said and your imagination fills in the blanks.
Old 06-16-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat
I'm actually a fan of bleeping. Sometimes it can be really funny, when you're not sure exactly what someone said and your imagination fills in the blanks.
Fuck that shit.
Old 06-16-11, 02:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so wait I'm confused the rental version is R-rated but the retail version is unrated ... right?
Old 06-16-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
so wait I'm confused the rental version is R-rated but the retail version is unrated ... right?
The retail is unrated. You can see all the uncovered penis you want.
Old 06-17-11, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat
I agree sometimes. I used to love watching "Chappelle's Show" bleeped. It was almost funnier that way.
Old 06-18-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate Redbox. I rented the I Spit on Your Grave remake solely for the audio commentary, after reading AV Club's "Commentary Tracks of the Damned" entry. And it turned out to be a featureless rental copy. Frustrated the hell out of me because since Blockbuster carried the normal copy, I didn't know that a "rental copy" existed for this title. This was the 3rd time this had happened, so I've long given up on Redbox.

Re: Bleeping - I think cursing censorship is funnier with absurd word substitutions. From Repo Man's "melon farmers" to The Big Lebowski's "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!!!!" But I can accept television bleeps, pretty much the only TV I watch is The Daily Show and South Park (the latter being uncensored online). What I cannot accept is bleeping in audio commentaries, which I encountered with The Social Network. They were actually bleeping out a relevant piece of information. I also don't care for when Rifftrax does bleeping, especially when they're riffing R-rated movies.
Old 06-18-11, 12:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The retail is unrated. You can see all the uncovered penis you want.

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
I hate Redbox. I rented the I Spit on Your Grave remake solely for the audio commentary, after reading AV Club's "Commentary Tracks of the Damned" entry. And it turned out to be a featureless rental copy. Frustrated the hell out of me because since Blockbuster carried the normal copy, I didn't know that a "rental copy" existed for this title. This was the 3rd time this had happened, so I've long given up on Redbox.

Re: Bleeping - I think cursing censorship is funnier with absurd word substitutions. From Repo Man's "melon farmers" to The Big Lebowski's "This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!!!!" But I can accept television bleeps, pretty much the only TV I watch is The Daily Show and South Park (the latter being uncensored online). What I cannot accept is bleeping in audio commentaries, which I encountered with The Social Network. They were actually bleeping out a relevant piece of information. I also don't care for when Rifftrax does bleeping, especially when they're riffing R-rated movies.
this happened to me at my local video store (Potomac Video) - I had no idea that 'Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader' was a rental version - with no extras, or even the commentary track that I had hoped to listen to ...
Old 06-18-11, 10:55 AM
Banned

I hate Redbox. I rented the I Spit on Your Grave remake solely for the audio commentary, after reading AV Club's "Commentary Tracks of the Damned" entry. And it turned out to be a featureless rental copy. Frustrated the hell out of me because since Blockbuster carried the normal copy, didn't know that a "rental copy" existed for this title. This was the 3rd time this had happened, so I've long given up on Redbox.
I've rented a few movies that ended up being rental copies. I think the description should indicate whether it has any extras or strictly movie only. It's because of this that Redbox doesn't get my business anymore, I either use a promo code or don't rent anything
Old 06-19-11, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Redbox copy of that film is also the R rated version! I rented it as well to see the film finally, though I was aware of it being the R version. I'll say it was extremely graphic still and did make me feel sick in the end, yet wasn't a good(but it wasn't awful either) film and I'm glad I rented it over blind buying it. It ran 105 minutes,so there is 3 minutes missing, but I have no idea what was cut with how graphic/grisly the film was.

I think bleeps can be very funny as some others have said. Sometimes overdubbing the swearing is amusing, but bleeps can really add to humor for example when done right.

Here is a random censored cartoons video that bleeps out various words and is hilarious in some cases.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uZSc4sKP1Ac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-20-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
The Redbox copy of that film is also the R rated version! I rented it as well to see the film finally, though I was aware of it being the R version. I'll say it was extremely graphic still and did make me feel sick in the end, yet wasn't a good(but it wasn't awful either) film and I'm glad I rented it over blind buying it. It ran 105 minutes,so there is 3 minutes missing, but I have no idea what was cut with how graphic/grisly the film was.
i take it some of the rape scene is longer, and id assume
Spoiler:
she doesnt chop of one of the rapists dicks and shoves it in their mouth, and i'd assume the end of the scene where she tortures the one guy over a hot boiling water is cut
Old 06-20-11, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i take it some of the rape scene is longer, and id assume
Spoiler:
she doesnt chop of one of the rapists dicks and shoves it in their mouth, and i'd assume the end of the scene where she tortures the one guy over a hot boiling water is cut
It wouldn't surprise me that the rape scene(s) might be cut. Since in the Last House remake, the only real difference between the R and Unrated version in terms of explicit content was during the rape scene and murder of one of the girls. But the finale with the villains being killed brutally was intact.

But looking at how the UK version was cut/edited on movie-censorship.com. All the shots that were zoomed in were intact in the U.S. R version and even the brief full frontal shot was intact despite being cut from the UK print.

As for
Spoiler:
the torture-killing of the villains. One guy was still castrated and had his dick shoved in his mouth, however it's not explicitly glimpsed, and I don't know if you see anything more in the unrated version or not and he spits it out immediately(and it's not really seen at all). The water boiling scene was still pretty graphic, though if a few frames or seconds were cut, I don't know. What happens at the end of the scene? I know his face starts boiling in the water. Was there anything more done to him than that or was it a really long scene of his face boiling?
But regardless,the finale was quite disgusting and unpleasant.

I hope movie-censorship.com gets a copy of the R version to compare the two, since I'm kind of curious exactly what was cut, since it was pretty graphic for myself, that I feel no reason to see the film again just to see the unrated version.
Old 06-22-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
It wouldn't surprise me that the rape scene(s) might be cut. Since in the Last House remake, the only real difference between the R and Unrated version in terms of explicit content was during the rape scene and murder of one of the girls. But the finale with the villains being killed brutally was intact.

But looking at how the UK version was cut/edited on movie-censorship.com. All the shots that were zoomed in were intact in the U.S. R version and even the brief full frontal shot was intact despite being cut from the UK print.

As for
Spoiler:
the torture-killing of the villains. One guy was still castrated and had his dick shoved in his mouth, however it's not explicitly glimpsed, and I don't know if you see anything more in the unrated version or not and he spits it out immediately(and it's not really seen at all). The water boiling scene was still pretty graphic, though if a few frames or seconds were cut, I don't know. What happens at the end of the scene? I know his face starts boiling in the water. Was there anything more done to him than that or was it a really long scene of his face boiling?
But regardless,the finale was quite disgusting and unpleasant.

I hope movie-censorship.com gets a copy of the R version to compare the two, since I'm kind of curious exactly what was cut, since it was pretty graphic for myself, that I feel no reason to see the film again just to see the unrated version.
in the unrated version (im going by memory as i was one of the lucky to see it in theaters.
Spoiler:
you do see the dick stuck in the guys mouth for a good 10 seconds (i think he pukes a little too) then spits it out.

I recall the face boiling was pretty lengthy too
Old 06-24-11, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
in the unrated version (im going by memory as i was one of the lucky to see it in theaters.
Spoiler:
you do see the dick stuck in the guys mouth for a good 10 seconds (i think he pukes a little too) then spits it out.

I recall the face boiling was pretty lengthy too
That was definitely not shown in the R rated version since it happens really fast, but you still pretty much got what was going on in the scene. The
Spoiler:
teeth pulling seemed intact and you saw lots of blood pouring down when she sliced off his penis. The face boiling definitely wasn't shown onscreen that long from what I recall, but it was all pretty grisly to watch.