Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone still buying(or recording) VHS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Anyone still buying(or recording) VHS?

There are two titles off the top of my head that I'm interested in purchasing-Roots of Evil(Deanna Lund of Land of the Giants fame, played a lesbian stripper) and The Life and Times of the ABA(HBO documentary about the American Basketball Association). Last time I looked,they were both going for a pretty penny at Amazon. Anyone know-what's the highest in demand VHS tape that hasn't made it to laserdisc,DVD, HD DVD or Blu-ray?
My dad still records on VHS(time shifting) because he doesn't want to get a dvr. Either that or he's afraid of modern technology.
Old 06-02-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone still buying(or recording) VHS?

I don't have a DVR, so if I want to record something on TV, I still use VHS. And I've bought a handful of VHS tapes since embracing DVD and Blu-Ray, but I can count the number on one hand...
Old 06-02-11, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO! Not in a LONG time-
Old 06-02-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

The re-edited "novel for television" version of the Godfather is listed for $249.59 new at Amazon marketplace.
Old 06-02-11, 06:12 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Evry Friday and Saturday, I go "Garage Sailing", looking for used Videos (Both VHS and DVD) that people are selling. My VCRs still work perfectly, and since VHS Shows can be had for Pennies on the Dollar, I still use them!
Old 06-02-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I don't have a DVR, so if I want to record something on TV, I still use VHS.
Same.
Old 06-02-11, 06:48 PM
Banned

I still buy VHS, even stuff that I know is out on DVD/Blu-ray, mostly blind buys though. Why spend $3 to $15 on a DVD that you may not like when you can spend a quarter on it and decide whether you like it enough to buy it on DVD. I won't spend more than a buck on a single tape, and usually don't exceed 50 cents per tape.

I wish I could record off TV onto a VHS tape/DVD-R(using a DVD Recorder). We have a DVR, and for some reason no matter how I hook up my VCR it will not let me watch TV through it, meaning I can't record either. It sucks, but I've gotten over it.
Old 06-02-11, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only VHS tape I've bought in years was Ms. 45 because I found it at a pawn shop for $2 and the DVD costs way more than that.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 06-02-11 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
The only VHS tape I've bought in years was Ms. 45 because I found it at a pawn shop for $2 and the DVD costs way more than that.
The DVD is also heavily cut, so VHS would be the way to go.
Old 06-02-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
The re-edited "novel for television" version of the Godfather is listed for $249.59 new at Amazon marketplace.
Unless it actually sells at that price, which I highly doubt, it's not really worth that. It's value is what it sells for. That's why you can't say Star Wars: A New Hope is worth $10,000 just because someone listed it at that price on ebay.

Easiest way to figure out something like this is to do a search on ebay for VHS, choose that category and then do a completed auctions search, sorting by price.

The highest one I found was DARK SHADOWS COLLECTION VHS 200 VIDEOS MINT CONDITION that sold for $675

Some guy keeps trying to sell an Elmo tape for over a grand. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...D#ht_920wt_905 That's the closed auction, since nobody bought it (duh), but it says at the top he relisted it, which he did, for the same amount. Maybe this time he'll have better luck.
Old 06-02-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

No, although I still have VCRs and a fair-sized (but shrinking) collection of VHSes of movies not available in any other form (including dl). I should probably get around to recording them to DVD-R.

As far as taping TV shows, get yourself a DVR, man! They're infinitely preferable to cumbersome, degradable VCRs and tapes.
Old 06-02-11, 10:13 PM
Banned

I don't really buy VHS anymore. Last year, I was given an unopened episode of MST3K. And there was a tape I remember really liking when I was a kid, 3 Mercer Mayer Stories, that I couldn't find anywhere (probably under a pile of junk in my closet), so I found it online. But aside from that, I don't have much to do with VHS anymore. New ones, at least. I do tape shows off of tv every day, since I don't have a DVR.
Old 06-02-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I buy them at Thrift Stores and mostly burn them onto disc. I also find a lot to sell on Amazon that are worth some good money.
Old 06-03-11, 05:40 AM

Only wrestling, Jerry Springer or Beavis & Butt-head.
Old 06-03-11, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to buy a lot, in the early 00s up until about 2007 we still had a lot of video stores in the Boston area and they all slowly went out of business so I'd go in and buy everything they had that wasn't on DVD, then I put them all on DVD-R, it was probably about 2,000 titles. I still have most of the tapes sitting in my basement. I also buy a lot of home recorded VHS tapes from flea markets and transfer any old TV shows (especially if they have commercials) onto DVD-R, I have a ton of those as well When I'm going through those tapes I'm always shocked when the stuff on the tapes is less than 10 years old.

When I record stuff I use my DVR or if I want to keep it longer than that I burn it onto DVD
Old 06-03-11, 09:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I still have a player or two, and a couple boxes of tapes, but don't think I've bought one in a few years. I'm not opposed to buying them in the future though, and do look through piles of them at clearance stores or garage sales. I'd easily buy tapes if I stumbled upon something really cheap and interesting.
Old 06-03-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I still buy blank VHS tapes, but it's getting harder and harder to find them. My local Rite-Aid had a few packages of TDK and Maxell available recently, neither of which are my favorite brands, and I bought them all. They may be the last I'll find. All I'm really taping now are new episodes of Pokémon (Cartoon Network) and Power Rangers Samurai (Nickelodeon) on Saturdays.

Sad thing is, I had two old Sony VCRs in my living room set-up. One crapped out and chewed up a tape in April. The other crapped out and chewed up a tape in May. Luckily, my daughter had returned the VCR I gave her years ago (a Panasonic) and it was still in the tote bag in my foyer, so I hooked it up again, figured out again how to work it and set the timer and I'm all set.

I still have two new DVD/VCR combos in a basement storage unit.

I still watch tons of movies/anime/TV shows on VHS. I just watched I BOMBED PEARL HARBOR on VHS for the Historical Challenge. LBX, though dubbed in English. (There's still no DVD of it.) I have a 13-inch Toshiba TV/VCR combo in my bedroom that's perfect for watching tapes on. That's where I watched a lot of stuff for the B-movie challenge in April.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-03-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-03-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't have a PVR so I still use VHS to record something from TV. I had about 300 titles on VHS but I got rid of them a few years ago.

I kept some of the better titles that I was still nostalgic for like the first edition copies of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Halloween, The Thing etc.

I saw a copy of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry on Magnetic Home Video on eBay, mint in the shrink wrap for $600. Yeah it's rare but in a "Who-cares?" kinda way.
Old 06-03-11, 01:13 PM

yes blank vhs which is becoming harder to find. My target still has a few sony packs. I dvr general hospital at my moms recond to to tape then bring it home to make it a dvd-r. I had a combo unit that received a digital signal but it die. Don't want to spent $200-300 to get a new one. Since most of the time it would only be for General Hospital. Most primetime shows make it to dvd even the one seasons this days,

i
Old 06-03-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of tapes that I haven't dubbed onto DVD yet (mostly convention footage), but those have been sitting in a box in my closet for almost a decade, so I obviously don't miss them. My lone VCR is also in that closet, and hasn't seen the light for at least 5 years.
Old 06-04-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I use VHS for when the kids come over. i received a bunch of Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations, other Disney things, years ago.They were mostly just dumped off at my house by relatives. When my little niece's come over we throw in a video or two for them to watch. But other than that, i don't really use VHS anymore. But they're still useful.
Old 06-04-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I was using VHS to tape off tv until just this fall when I got DVR. Love it so much over taping!

My dvd player is a combo player so I still have a VCR hooked up. I still have a handful of tapes left. Mainly stuff that never got a DVD release, though, and stuff I taped off tv that never will see the light of day on DVD. Most of that, I've converted to DVD, but I keep the tapes as back-up.

I also have kept just a couple of my VHS that I did find in DVD. I just can't bring myself to get rid of the Little Mermaid clamshell VHS cover with the...interesting, shall we say?...artwork on it!
Old 06-04-11, 03:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't buy VHS anymore. I have a few left that haven't been replaced by DVD but for the most part, my VHS collection is dwindling. The last time I recorded anything was probably 3 years ago when I recorded Asteroid (miniseries w/ Annabella Sciorra, Michael Biehn, and Anthony Zerbe) from the SciFi Channel (I refuse to call it SyFy) because the only version of it you can buy is 120 minutes. I still have the Unrated Director's Cut of Lawnmower Man at 141 min. on VHS because they never made that particular transfer to DVD (107 min.). So, for the few anomalies, VHS is still hanging out at my house, but that's about the extent of it. -kd5-
Old 06-04-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Uh, how are you less 'technically-minded' people still recording TV to VHS when the analog stations have been off the air for almost 2 years now? (I have no way of recording broadcast TV at all right now, but since there's nothing worth recording anymore it's fine by me.)

I have tons of movies and music videos that haven't been on DVD or laserdisc; I've transferred most of them to DVD but some of them show compression artifacts. I just got a professional-model VHS machine from someone on Ebay for 99 cents plus 40 bucks shipping, it's pretty cool. I still find rare/interesting stuff on VHS at Goodwill stores for cheap. I've been buying some movie tapes just to get the previews on them too- laserdiscs never had those. Got "Strange Brew" just to get this promo that was at the end:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/69T7hbyUqYo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(That's the linear audio track in stereo BTW, which 99% of recent-model VCRs won't play.)
Old 06-04-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Same q as Alan Smithee: How is it possible to do this from digital TV? We are curious about this here in Japan. The Analog signal will stop being broadcast on July 11th and of course it appears to us that the VCR will become a piece of junk at that time. We very seldom record anything, but sometimes, when we want to be watching a DVD and there is something interesting on TV we record it. How will it be possible to continue doing this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.