Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Huge" on DVD -- a must buy for fans of realistic TV shows!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet again, I'm heartbroken... I'm not gonna start a rant about how great TV shows get cancelled before they've given a chance to win over the audience, but it's clear that I'm in the minority when it comes to what people wants to see on TV. Everybody's different, and I respect that, but why do all my favorite shows end up being cancelled after one or a few seasons? When I think about popular shows like "One Three Hill" and "Smallville", I can't begin to fathom how they stay on forever, while original and unique shows are cancelled by the numbers.

Anyway:
"Huge" is about the participants at a "fat camp", but their weight is not the main theme of the show. It's more about how they come to accept who they are and grow as persons because of the people they meet and get to know.

"Huge" is quite possibly the most realistic and heartwarming show about teens since "Freaks and Geeks". I can't recommend it enough.

The DVD set contains all 10 episodes on three DVD's. The picture and sound quality isn't the best, but the dialogue is always clear and up front in the sound mix.
Old 04-04-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know what you mean. I liked it too and thought The Hoff's daughter was hot. A hate of the stick figures in Hollywood. Much better show than Secret Life of An American Teenager.
Old 04-05-11, 12:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: "Huge" on DVD -- a must buy for fans of realistic TV shows!

I liked Huge too. But I really wondered how they could sustain the show over multiple seasons, because if the same people kept coming back to the same fat camp year after year, that would imply that the camp wasn't all that good at what it proposed to do, help kids overcome weight issues.
Old 04-05-11, 02:45 PM

I'm really glad you liked it, guys.

bigjim25:
This might come out wrong, but Hayley Hasselhoff is blessed with good genes. Her parents are good-looking people. I've not seen "The Secret Life...", but it looks like a pretty generic teen soap to me. Do you have any teen show recommendations? I'm always looking for good tv shows.

SteveA:
I agree that the premise of the show wasn't perfect for a long-run, but they could've spent a couple of seasons on each summer. Also, several of the characters had been to camp before, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad camp when kids return year after year. I've never struggled with weight issues myself, but I believe it's a life-long struggle, and not something that a few months of "fat camp" can fix.
Old 04-05-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the problem is that there's not a huge number of people watching ABC Family shows.
Old 04-06-11, 12:28 PM

Mister Peepers:
That could very well be. I don't have ABC Family, but their shows seem to be pretty typical "Dawson's Creek" inspired drivel. ""Huge" seems to have been an exeption.