Reload this Page >

Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies on DVD: The Official Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies on DVD: The Official Thread

Old 08-31-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies on DVD: The Official Thread

Thanks for posting grundle; was just coming to post that bit myself.

---

I think over the long weekend I'll try to make some final updates to the first few posts; I've been busy.
Old 08-31-11, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't gotten a handle on the retread percentage of the Pepe disc, which always seems to drive my purchasing decisions.
Old 09-01-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...er-Stars/15875

Love Stinks: 'Pepé Le Pew: Zee Best Of Zee Best' DVD

December 27
Just wished they released this before Christmas and not after, but they could change their minds between now and then,.
Old 09-01-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I haven't gotten a handle on the retread percentage of the Pepe disc, which always seems to drive my purchasing decisions.
Unless someone does it before then, I'm going to try and do an update this weekend which should include any double-dipping for this release as well.
Old 09-07-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some interesting news for those that might want the Looney Tunes Super Stars Coyote and Road Runner DVD due out on 10/4/2011...Wal-Mart by my house had the actual DVD available now for 15 bucks in a special Looney Tunes display in the middle of the aisle next to the electronics section, so if any of you are interested in getting this item early, Wal-mart is the place to get it.
Old 09-07-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JHBulls
In a way you're getting 50 shorts on 2 discs, compared to 60 shorts on 4 discs. But then again, the single-layer capacity of a Blu-Ray disc is 25GB and there is no way one Looney Tunes short takes up 1GB. They could easily fit 50 shorts (and more) on one Blu-Ray disc. I don't see why this first volume couldn't contain 100 shorts, at least. Maybe the first volume will only have 50 shorts and that number gets increased with each subsequent volume.
But doesn't this set include a lot of the classic titles? I haven't looked at the listing in a while but I seem to recall being impressed with the titles. Sort of quality over quantity. It also makes me wonder how committed to future volumes they'll be with this many gems in this set. Hopefully well get a bunch and not a couple of volumes or, gasp, one. I'd be very bummed if that happened.
Old 09-14-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Looney Tunes Golden 1-6 announced. Should I create a separate thread for that?
Old 09-14-11, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really interested in the blu ray collection. I only have vol. 2 of the Golden Collection but this one seems to have the shorts I've been wanting to see. can't wait for it to come out!
Old 09-15-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw a few more of those LT Super Stars Coyote and RR at Wal-Mart for 15 bucks but now moved to the New Release section of the Electronics Department. Again, this isn't supposed to come out until 10/4/2011
Old 09-22-11, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/119/1195205p1.html

The Golden Looney Tunes DVD Set

The ultimate collector's package for the Looney Tunes.

September 19, 2011

by David McCutcheon

Propelled by the creative genius of Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, and Friz Freleng, Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes introduced the world to some of the greatest cartoon characters to ever grace the animated cel: Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, Speedy Gonzalez, Pepe LePew, Wile E. Coyote, Road Runner, Tweety, Sylvester, Marvin the Martian, Tasmanian Devil – and that's just off of the top of our head. With the plethora of reimaginings and spin-offs that have come and gone over the years, the original Looney Tunes remains at the top of animated television.

Warner Home Video will be capitalizing on the success of the much-cherished franchise with the ultimate DVD package, the Golden Collection Box Set. This collector's box will encompass the entire Golden Collection series, spanning six full volumes and over 350 episodes of the classic cartoon. Yep, this one is the bee's knees when it comes to Looney Tunes DVD collections. It will be unleashed on December 27, 2011 for the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) of $144.92.

Check out the packaging below:

Old 09-23-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I've never found volumes 4 and 6 at good prices, so maybe this will make some used copies show up.
Old 09-23-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, compared to the individual sets, that is a damn good price.
Old 09-23-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

I paid an average of $15 each for my 6 volumes so I got off good. But considering the improved packaging and possible ~$100 amazon price I feel a bit miffed... and somewhat insulted that they can release this huge set but *not* do any more volumes in the series! I'd have sworn they stopped the volumes due to low sales. Why do they think people who've not purchased the volumes will drop $100+ the full series?
Old 09-23-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/119/1195205p1.html

The Golden Looney Tunes DVD Set

The ultimate collector's package for the Looney Tunes.

September 19, 2011

by David McCutcheon

Propelled by the creative genius of Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, and Friz Freleng, Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes introduced the world to some of the greatest cartoon characters to ever grace the animated cel: Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, Speedy Gonzalez, Pepe LePew, Wile E. Coyote, Road Runner, Tweety, Sylvester, Marvin the Martian, Tasmanian Devil – and that's just off of the top of our head. With the plethora of reimaginings and spin-offs that have come and gone over the years, the original Looney Tunes remains at the top of animated television.

Warner Home Video will be capitalizing on the success of the much-cherished franchise with the ultimate DVD package, the Golden Collection Box Set. This collector's box will encompass the entire Golden Collection series, spanning six full volumes and over 350 episodes of the classic cartoon. Yep, this one is the bee's knees when it comes to Looney Tunes DVD collections. It will be unleashed on December 27, 2011 for the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) of $144.92.

Check out the packaging below:

Not too shabby of a deal and heard the first disc of the new BD version of Looney Tunes will be coming out in January 2012 - It'll be called Looney Tunes Showcase
Old 09-24-11, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
But doesn't this set include a lot of the classic titles? I haven't looked at the listing in a while but I seem to recall being impressed with the titles. Sort of quality over quantity. It also makes me wonder how committed to future volumes they'll be with this many gems in this set. Hopefully well get a bunch and not a couple of volumes or, gasp, one. I'd be very bummed if that happened.
Totally forgot about this thread 'til now. Good point about quality over quantity, we shall see what WHV does with the franchise on BR. Not that I am the least bit interested.

Even though I already own all 6 GC's I have listed them on eBay and will be getting this new re-release in December. All my DVD's are packaged in Amaray cases (even my TV Shows) and I love the extra space.
Old 12-07-11, 11:07 PM

I didn't know this until now; there is a seller on eBay who has got the Golden Collection re-release in-stock and has had them since the end of October. How is that even possible? The official date of release is December 27th.
Old 12-08-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by JHBulls
I didn't know this until now; there is a seller on eBay who has got the Golden Collection re-release in-stock and has had them since the end of October. How is that even possible? The official date of release is December 27th.
That big set with the 6 GC's in a box? I saw that at Costco a few weeks ago. All I need is Vol 4, so I'm passing, but it's a nice looking box otherwise.

Edit: Yeah, just saw the release date in the post above. I have no idea why they have it early, unless they realize it would make a great Christmas present.
Old 12-08-11, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That big set with the 6 GC's in a box? I saw that at Costco a few weeks ago. All I need is Vol 4, so I'm passing, but it's a nice looking box otherwise.

Edit: Yeah, just saw the release date in the post above. I have no idea why they have it early, unless they realize it would make a great Christmas present.
Yeah, that's the one I mean. You're probably correct, they probably do think it would make a great Christmas present.

Unfortunately being from Australia it's probably not worth it to order it now, had I seen it a month ago then I probably would have. But when have you ever searched for something a month before it's released in the hopes of it being available? So I'll just wait for Amazon to ship it after Christmas (they haven't broken the release date).
Old 12-10-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

*bump*

I've updated the first few posts. There's some more links to news items from TVShowsOnDVD, specifically the recent news about the Blu-ray Releases and the Pepé Le Pew Release. I've also finished the list of shorts; under each decade you can find the shorts listed by year with a corresponding citation as to what release you can find the short on. The DVD and Blu-ray Release section has also been updated to include the newest releases, along with the shorts that they include.

Just a few quick comments for the Looney Tunes Completists...

-Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote - Supergenius Hijinks has 15 shorts in total; 9 of them are previously unreleased pre-1970 shorts, but the rest are unfortunately from the '90s and '00s.
-The Essential Daffy Duck does include some previously unreleased shorts, specifically Daffy Duck's debut in Porky's Duck Hunt.
-Most of the shorts on Platinum Collection, Volume 1 are double-dips, but there are about 10 previously unreleased shorts, as well as some post-1970 shorts directed by Chuck Jones.
-Pepé Le Pew: Zee Best of Zee Best has 17 shorts in total; 14 of those are previously unreleased.

Last edited by kstublen; 12-10-11 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 09:39 PM
Banned

Bad news for the next two releases - each DVD only has three cartoons!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...gs-Bunny/16399
Old 01-13-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I wasn't even going to bother posting that. I don't even understand the point of these releases.
Old 03-16-12, 10:13 PM
Banned

The first two discs of the Looney Tunes Platinum collection (with 50 cartoons in total) will be released on regular DVD on July 3.

Even though I already have all 6 Golden Collections, I'm still going to buy this. I like the selection and ordering of the cartoons, and I don't mind that most of it is double dipping. I hope it sells well, and that future volumes get released, even if it means more double dipping. This release has a few that have either never been released, or have never been released in the proper aspect ratio. If there is a volume 2, maybe it could mix some double dips with some that haven't been released yet. I know it costs money to remaster these, so I understand why double dipping is sometimes necessary. If this double dipping helps them to get revenue to pay to remaster more cartoons, that would be great.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bug...Volume-1/16666
Old 03-19-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 447 Likes on 305 Posts

I asked for these for Christmas, so I wouldn't feel bad about double-dipping (or at least double-dipping at a high price point). I started watching them last week, and they look gorgeous. I hope they continue the series too.
Old 06-02-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looney Tunes: Mouse Chronicles, Chuck Jones Collection on Blu-ray & DVD 08/28/12

From animation legend Chuck Jones comes the big cheese of mouse collections! Enjoy 19 remastered animated shorts featuring some mischievous mice and their daring adventures! Introducing Sniffles. He's cute, curious and got a heckuva cold! In Naughty But Mice, audiences came to know Sniffles as a sweet, wide-eyed simpleton with a talent for getting himself into trouble. But over the years, Jones had evolved Sniffles into an overly talkative but endearing nuisance. A trouble-loving twosome with a passion for pranks, Chuck Jones let loose the mice, Hubie and Bertie, in the short The Aristo-Cat. A departure from his previous cute and naivé characters, Hubie and Bertie solidified a new direction for Jones. The change paid off with the Oscar-nominated Mouse Wreckers [Short Subject (Cartoon) 1949], which finds Hubie and Bertie tormenting their favorite nemesis Claude Cat with rapid-fire humor and sight gags galore. So steal a snack and scurry back to your hideout for some laughs and mouse-chief with the latest Chuck Jones Collection!

Warner Home Video has announced that on August 28th they will release Looney Tunes Mouse Chronicles: A Chuck Jones Collection on DVD ($26.99 SRP) and high-def Blu-ray Disc ($34.99 SRP). Both 2-disc sets run 133 minutes long, and includes an all-new Featurette, "Of Mice and Pen," plus bonus cartoons and an audio commentary. Below is package art for both versions (spoilered for size):

Spoiler:

Shorts:
Naughty but Mice
Little Brother Rat
Sniffles and the Bookworm
Sniffles Takes a Trip
The Egg Collector
Bedtime for Sniffles
Sniffles Bells the Cat
Toy Trouble
The Brave Little Bat
The Unbearable Bear
Lost and Foundling
Hush my Mouse
The Aristo-Cat
Trap Happy Porky
Roughly Squeaking
House Hunting Mice
Mouse Wreckers
The Hypo-Chondri-Cat
Cheese Chasers
I've bolded the previously unreleased shorts. Glad to see the bulk of the set is new material.

Last edited by kstublen; 06-02-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-02-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Very nice to see mostly new material. I'm guessing this will be the only new blu release this year. I'm a little curious as to why the blu version is 2 discs. It seems that this would easily fit on 1.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.