Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Excel Spreadsheet Template For a Movie Database

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 04:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excel Spreadsheet Template For a Movie Database

Hi all. After about a week of learning how to use excel 2007 for cataloging my movie collection I came up with this template. I wanted to give it out to the community as I know many people might like it.

To use it enter your movies on the Movie List Tab. There are alot of options, all which are requirments for me, so you might have to play around with it.

You can see the code for this spreadsheet by right clicking on Select Movies and view code.

I took this example

http://blog.contextures.com/archives...base-in-excel/

and made it work for me.

If there are any excel Gods out there that can make this better please let me know. One option I want to add in is a "binder location" column. I want to store all my dvds in a binder and then label them with a number and than in this spreadsheet I can enter what number its at. This makes trying to find the disc easy.

Anyways hope people can find use of this!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5552088/MovieDB.xlsm
Old 12-09-10, 09:09 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Excel Spreadsheet Template For a Movie Database

There have been 83 views on this...Just wondering what everybody thinks about it?
Old 12-09-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I think one problem with keeping a spreadsheet is that a lot of us have large collections. I have over 1200 DVDs/Blu-rays. No way am I going to enter that many. It's easier to maintain and share online databases. If I buy 10 movies, they will be all entered in around 5 mins for both databases...and all the new entries are instantly available for others to view.

Spreadsheets are good if you are just starting out or have a small collection...or really love to manually enter data into spreadsheets if you have a large collection. I know there are some on here that already maintain a spreadsheet database and prefer this method.

But, it's nice that you've shared a template for those that might think it's a good option for them. Since it's not for me, I have not looked at the template. Hopefully some others can share their experiences.
Old 12-09-10, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep a spreadsheet but not to keep track of all the details about a movie (year, cast, ratings, etc.) just the titles and DVD editions. So far it's helped me keep duplicates out of my collection.
Old 12-09-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

I also keep an Excel database, which I developed to make myself happy back when I first started collecting (in 1999) - but my primary list is in DVD Profiler - it's available online (in my signature) and can be seen by anybody who I want to see it. So - sorry - but I too have not bothered to look at your template and therefore I cannot comment on it.
Old 12-10-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by putnum
There have been 83 views on this...Just wondering what everybody thinks about it?
If it works for you. I created my own spread sheet that suits me just fine. I don't need to categorize the movies in my collection. Or the ratings of the movies, either.