Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Funimation acquires 15 Shaw Brothers titles...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-06-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/47PtCeREAhM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/47PtCeREAhM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

http://www.funimation.com/hongkongconnection/

looks like they're the titles that BCI had before they closed shop.

SHAOLIN HAND LOCK - 3/23/10
THE 14 AMAZONS - 3/23/10

the other titles: Sword of Swords, The Duel, The Lady Hermit, Invincible Shaolin, Soul of the Sword, Life Gamble, Shaolin Rescuers, Shaolin Prince, Bastard Swordsman, Opium and The Kung Fu Master, The Supreme Swordsman, Return of Bastard Swordsman, Hong Kong Godfather

let's hope they start doing some blu-ray releases as well

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 01-06-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Funimation acquires 15 Shaw Brothers titles...

This is relevant to my interests.

Furious confirm on BD releases too...the only kung-fu BD I have is that Sister Street Fighter disc
Old 01-06-10, 11:59 AM

Love the promo reel. Great to see the Bastard Swordsman discs being released.
Old 01-06-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Good news. Hope they last with the series. It'd be nice to see them licence additional titles as well, if these editions do reasonably well. Considering how many fantastic Shaw titles—in ALL genres—weren't licensed by the likes of BCI, Dragon Dynasty, Media Blasters, whomever, Funimation seems to have a broad enough catalog and mindset that one hopes they might be able to think outside the Martial Arts box Bond-ian spy adventures? Dark contemporary crime thrillers? Horror? Romance? So much to choose from, but I guess we'll have to live with these for now. Fingers crossed, though.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-06-10 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-06-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

That trailer is pretty cool.

Definitely excited about this news.
Old 01-06-10, 05:21 PM

But I can bet ya these will have no extras. We (BCI) had extras shot for these first few releases, but when they shut BCI down and just threw everything into boxes, Funimation won't be able to find what we created.
But, at least they are coming out.
Old 01-06-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Perhaps they'll be cheaper as a result? That'd be cool. I can live without special features if the price is set accordingly, as it usually was on the 500+ Hong Kong editions I've picked up over the years.
Old 01-06-10, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....interesting. Need to see reviews of whatever they pop out before I get happy.
Old 01-06-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The friggin' trailer went too fast for me to note all the titles. Can someone list all 15 of them here?

I did note BASTARD SWORDSMAN, LADY HERMIT, THE DUEL and INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN. These four are in the top 25% of the hundreds of Shaw titles I've seen. They're much higher-profile and more promotable than SHAOLIN HANDLOCK (a comparatively weak one) and 14 AMAZONS (has its charms and definitely worth seeing, but not one of the greats).
Old 01-06-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The friggin' trailer went too fast for me to note all the titles. Can someone list all 15 of them here?

I did note BASTARD SWORDSMAN, LADY HERMIT, THE DUEL and INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN. These four are in the top 25% of the hundreds of Shaw titles I've seen. They're much higher-profile and more promotable than SHAOLIN HANDLOCK (a comparatively weak one) and 14 AMAZONS (has its charms and definitely worth seeing, but not one of the greats).
Sword of Swords, The Duel, The Lady Hermit, Invincible Shaolin, Soul of the Sword, Life Gamble, Shaolin Rescuers, Shaolin Prince, Bastard Swordsman, Opium and The Kung Fu Master, The Supreme Swordsman, Return of Bastard Swordsman, Hong Kong Godfather
Old 01-06-10, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

You can move that cursor you know, bro.
Old 01-06-10, 11:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

what no '8 Pole Diagram Fighter' ???? (I want this on bluray!)
Old 01-07-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Sword of Swords, The Duel, The Lady Hermit, Invincible Shaolin, Soul of the Sword, Life Gamble, Shaolin Rescuers, Shaolin Prince, Bastard Swordsman, Opium and The Kung Fu Master, The Supreme Swordsman, Return of Bastard Swordsman, Hong Kong Godfather
Thanks for that list. To my earlier recommendations, I'd add RETURN OF BASTARD SWORDSMAN and SHAOLIN RESCUERS (that's six of the total). The others aren't bad, they're just all fairly lesser Shaw Bros. I should add that INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN and SHAOLIN RESCUERS are among the better Five Venoms films.
Old 01-07-10, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
what no '8 Pole Diagram Fighter' ???? (I want this on bluray!)
IIRC, The Weinstein Company / Dragon Dynasty holds the distribution rights to this movie.

I'm looking forward to Hong Kong Godfather. I remember watching a clip from the finale some time ago, and I've wanted to watch it in its entirety (the finale, I mean).
Old 01-07-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Looks like these are 19.98 list
Old 03-11-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HONG KONG GODFATHER - 4/27/10

http://www.amazon.com/Hong-Kong-Godf...dp/B00347AK06/
Old 03-12-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hong Kong Godfather is $17.99, but the other 2 new Funimation Shaw releases are $14.99.
Old 03-12-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Hong Kong Godfather is $17.99, but the other 2 new Funimation Shaw releases are $14.99.
i have a feeling it will drop before release. same list price just amazon is giving a bigger discount to the other two.
Old 03-26-10, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone pick up the 2 initial releases? i have them on order via columbia house so i should have them soon. just curious about the quality.
Old 03-26-10, 06:40 PM

Watched Shaolin Handlock yesterday. Stereo English soundtrack is very good, haven't tested the "Mono" Mandarin or the subs yet. Print looks good. The movie itself is a quickie shot on location in Thailand and passably entertaining. Both discs come with the Funimation Shaw trailer, trailers for non-Shaw releases, and a printed checklist of future Shaw releases.
Old 03-31-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just watched SHAOLIN HAND LOCK. it's interlaced and some ghosting is present - still didn't look too bad though. probably the best we'll ever get. i'll watch 14 AMAZONS sometime later this week.
Old 03-31-10, 03:05 PM

The releases are garbage. The video is a bad PAL to NTSC conversion and the subtitles are embarrassing.

Instead of trying to re-translate the subtitles, like how Media Blasters is doing, in the case of Shaolin Handlock they just proof read the Celestial subtitles which could've used an improvement. In the case of 14 Amazons, it's even worse. They actually made up the majority of the subtitles.

The last time this was done was with the Weinstein's and their release of the bastardized version of "Tom Yum Goong". Previously when they had Miramax, they also made up the subtitles for Hero, Infernal Affairs, Iron Monkey and Shaolin Soccer.

To see that Funimation, a company that offers high quality translations for their Japanese releases, is undergoing a similar practice for Chinese films is disgusting.

If anyone is interested I can provide contact information for Funimation so that people can write and tell them to cease that practice. If they are going to release these movies, they ought to give it the same respect and care with the subtitle translations as their Japanese lines. Otherwise, why are they releasing these titles? Give them to Media Blasters who would do a far better job.

I have written to them and I hope others here as well are willing to spend a few moments to send them that message. Perhaps with enough people sending them this complaint they will view these films more seriously.
Old 03-31-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I didn't pre-order these, sounds awful.
Old 03-31-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Sucks to hear that
Old 04-14-10, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HONG KONG GODFATHER review: http://hkfilmnews.blogspot.com/2010/...ed-dvd_12.html

looks like they did a good job on this one!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.