Walt Disney Treasures - 54-Disc Premium Collection

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Walt Disney Treasures - 54-Disc Premium Collection

If you're a D23 member, you can now pre-order this:

http://www.disneystore.com/-pre-orde...1254942/13698/

It's 54 Discs, 27 Volumes of the Walt Disney Treasures Collection. They're only making 3000 of these sets, and they will be numbered. Of course it won't come cheap. The price is listed at $499.99. Plus you have to be a D23 member, which costs $74.99.

Still, if you've wanted to find a way to get your hand on the just about the entire Treasures Collection released to this point, this would do it.

Here's what you get:

# Mickey Mouse in Black & White Vol. 1, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Mickey Mouse in Black & White Vol. 2, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. 1, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol. 2, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Chronological Donald Vol. 1, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Chronological Donald Vol. 2, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Chronological Donald Vol. 3, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Chronological Donald Vol. 4, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Complete Goofy, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Complete Pluto Vol. 1, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Complete Pluto Vol. 2, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Adventures of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Silly Symphonies Vol. 1, Disc 1/Disc 2
# More Silly Symphonies Vol. 1, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Disney Rarities and Celebrated Shorts, Disc 1/Disc 2
# On the Front Lines, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Behind the Scenes at the Walt Disney Studios, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Your Host, Walt Disney, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Mickey Mouse Club, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Mickey Mouse Club Presents: The Hardy Boys, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Mickey Mouse Club Presents: Annette, Disc 1/Disc 2
# The Mickey Mouse Club Presents: The Adventures of Spin & Marty, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Davy Crockett, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Dr. Syn The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Disneyland U.S.A., Disc 1/Disc 2
# Tomorrowland, Disc 1/Disc 2
# Disneyland: Secrets, Stories & Magic, Disc 1/Disc 2

And here's what is not included:

# Zorro Complete Season 1
# Zorro Complete Season 2
# Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox: Legendary Heroes Disc 1 and 2
Old 09-10-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Treasures - 54-Disc Premium Collection

It's a good deal for anyone wanting them all.

Too bad I've paid more than that for all of them on release date and not having to resort to ebay. I like the tins and am glad to have been collecting them all along.

3000 probably won't last long with Disney collectors despite being $500+.
Old 09-10-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't help but think anyone that wants every Treasure and would be willing to drop $500 at once on them has probably been purchasing each release anyway.
Old 09-10-09, 04:27 PM
Banned

Disney knows how to fuck customers, especially collector's, up in the ass. $75 for a glorified exclusive shop? Don't they already have the Movie club? I wouldn't be surprised if they release Song of the South through this medium and charge over a $100 for it. And they wonder why people pirate their stuff and attendance has decreased in theme parks.
Old 09-10-09, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I can't help but think anyone that wants every Treasure and would be willing to drop $500 at once on them has probably been purchasing each release anyway.
Actually, the Treasures line started pretty early in the format so there are a bunch of folks who missed out on the earlier releases. It wouldn't surprise me if folks started to eBay their individual releases in order to defray the cost of this sucker and get caught up in the process.
Old 09-10-09, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Actually, the Treasures line started pretty early in the format so there are a bunch of folks who missed out on the earlier releases. It wouldn't surprise me if folks started to eBay their individual releases in order to defray the cost of this sucker and get caught up in the process.
I was thinking about that, but I refuse to pay $75 for membership of that club. I'm already a member or their Movie Club and find it ridiculous that they are stiffing us by not offering this set to their long time members like me.
Old 09-10-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I started getting these from the beginning, although I'm only around 17-18 I think and I tossed out all the tins a while ago....was too frustrating to get them with the tins for such $$$$.
Old 09-10-09, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
I was thinking about that, but I refuse to pay $75 for membership of that club. I'm already a member or their Movie Club and find it ridiculous that they are stiffing us by not offering this set to their long time members like me.
I can't argue with that. I've been picking all of them up from the very beginning so I'm completely indifferent to this set. If I was interested, the 75 bucks would probably piss me off too.
Old 09-10-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

$75 to join the club... and then to purchase this at it's ridiculous price? No thanks.

Damn, and here I was hoping this thread would be for an actual set available in retail stores that would help me to actually be able to afford these awesome cartoons. Is there any chance of this set coming out retail later just without the numbering and lithograph?
Old 09-10-09, 06:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have all the tins and haven't even opened up one to view it. I retired a year ago and have been catching up on a bunch of others. Not enough time in the day.
Old 09-10-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they release Song of the South through this medium and charge over a $100 for it.
I've already got my copy, so they can go take a flying leap as far as that movie's concerned.
Old 09-10-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not defending Disney, but the per title cost is actually pretty good....sure, it seems like a ton to swallow at once, but if you haven't been buying these before now, it is not a bad deal at all if you want to now get all these titles....

You get 27 two-disc sets for $500, that is an average cost of $18.52 each which is less than I paid for each of these at Amazon as they were released....plus you get all those OOP sets which go for way more than that now on the secondhand market....

Even if you have to pay the $75 to join the club, the average cost only goes up to $21.30 each, which is still less than Amazon and other retailers sold these sets for originally....
Old 09-10-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love these sets. But at the same time $575.xx (plus shipping) is a little too much to swallow, even for 54 discs.
Old 09-10-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No Swamp Fox = No Sale
Old 09-10-09, 08:13 PM
Banned

The production of this set proves that there is demand for old school Disney product. So why the hell do they keep putting stuff in their fucking vault? Again, I don't blame those who choose to get this shows, films and shorts through piracy. It is ridiculous that they are making it expensive, but more ridiculous that they are making it limited to the high demand. It is the same as the Beatles Mono set. If there is the demand, why stop the production?
Old 09-10-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

At least us Movie Club members get their colorized Zorro sets! Exclusive baby!
Old 09-10-09, 08:33 PM

Yeah...that's nice. Every Treasures release on the shelf is in the original tin and I'm a stickler for continuity. Not even thinking about picking this bad boy up. Besides, part of the fun is finding the ones you don't have in great condition for a decent price.
Old 09-10-09, 08:55 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I've already got my copy, so they can go take a flying leap as far as that movie's concerned.
You bad boy!
Old 09-10-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

This should come in one big huge tin!
Old 09-10-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm... in the pic, the certificate of authenticity states a limited edition of 20k.

in any case, this is sweet imho
Old 09-10-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I see venders selling this DVD (bootleg) every year at our state fair. I pass on getting one because I just know Disney has got to sell a legit one sooner or later but damn...tired of waiting...maybe next year...
Old 09-10-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The production of this set proves that there is demand for old school Disney product. So why the hell do they keep putting stuff in their fucking vault? Again, I don't blame those who choose to get this shows, films and shorts through piracy. It is ridiculous that they are making it expensive, but more ridiculous that they are making it limited to the high demand. It is the same as the Beatles Mono set. If there is the demand, why stop the production?
And, to add...at best it's going to drum up interest in the fans who may not have gotten into the previous sets and don't have the chunk of cash to buy this all at once, so that will just force the new fans to seek out the used/still sealed copies on the second hand market, so Disney makes NO money off of those sales. The only people who win in this scenario are people selling off their used/still sealed copies.
Old 09-11-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I should add that D23 isn't just a movie club or anything. It's an overall fan club of all things Disney. In fact the first D23 Convention is going on right now in Anaheim, which is where I first heard about this box. They have the metal box on display at the show, and it is pretty honking huge. Not to mention the full size light cycle from Tron Legacy, which looks pretty damn sweet.

I'm not saying its worth it to join D23, but Disney is at least pouring the money back into the club this weekend. But once I saw the box I figured someone might be interested in it.
Old 09-11-09, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I've ever understood the Disney penchant for throwing stuff into a vault or making "limited" releases, but sets like "The Complete Goofy" boggle my mind.

This set demands high $$ on the secondary market, and I see those prices and think about all the sales Disney lost because of their "limited time" bullshit.
Old 09-11-09, 12:58 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
I see venders selling this DVD (bootleg) every year at our state fair. I pass on getting one because I just know Disney has got to sell a legit one sooner or later but damn...tired of waiting...maybe next year...
I have a feeling one of these days a Studio will "Cave In" and place a DVD of a Movie (Ex Song of the South), or a TV Show (ex Batman). However the sale will TANK because many of those who would have bought it legitimately lost their patience waiting for it to come outand subsequentially found "Another Source" (That's "Bootleg" for those of you in Rio Linda) and purchased their copy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.