Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

van damme four feature set

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-01-09, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I noticed on dvdempire and universal home video's website that universal is releasing a van damme four feature set on 2/10 containing The Quest, Sudden Death, Hard Target, and Lionheart.
Dvdempire says anamorphic widescreen which leads me to believe that all are widescreen,
but universal's site says all widscreen except lionheart which is full frame.

Do you think this is a mistake on their site? Universal originally released both sudden death and lionheart in full frame and dvd in the past, but it seems that they remastered sudden death for this re-release, so why would they skip Lionheart? It doesn't seem right to make a new boxset that corrects the old dvd mistakes but then put in a full frame transfer of a widescreen movie?
Any thoughts on this? If it is fullframe, we should all go to universal's website and request Lionheart to be in widescreen. Granted it is not my favorite movie, but in 2009, all widscreen movies should be released properly on dvd. No excuses.
I've already sent them a couple of messages regarding this topic, but maybe if others do to it may send them a a message. Now none of my e-mails were rude. I just stated what people out there want regarding this dvd set.

So Please, it only takes a minute, so be sure to go on universal's site and let them know that we want this in widescreen. Also, take a moment to request a film you want on dvd. They may take your consideration. Last year I told them that I was happy with the van damme quadruple pack and clint eastwood western pack and that they would make money by making a new eastwood pack with beguiled, coogan's bluff, and a new version of eiger sanction. Well on 2/10 they are releasing just that on dvd.
Who knows, maybe they Do listen to all of our e-mails.
-Mark
Old 02-01-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: van damme four feature set

I keep getting an error when I try to email them.
As rediculous as it would be, i'm guessing that it is indeed non-anamorphic which is a shame as this is among my favorites of Van Dammes movies.
Old 02-01-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they probably remastered Sudden Death, because it was probably being prepared for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. I have a whole thread on Universal's continuing remastering trend for these double, triple and quadruple features here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/51...llections.html
Old 02-01-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This Van Damme set sounds similar to the one they already released called Quadruple....
Minus Street Fighter & TimeCop replaced by Sudden Death & Lionheart....
Old 02-01-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I typed up a big response detailing the 4 disc set I just bought, but then realized it's different (mine has Street Fighter and Timecop instead of Lionheart and Sudden Death.) Why are they releasing another 4 disc set with two of the same movies?

It looks like everything but Street Fighter is Anamorphic on this one.

Beat by Torchur317!
Old 02-01-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should re-release it with Timecop, Hard Target, Lionheart and Sudden Death. Those are the 4 i would be happy to own.
Old 02-01-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope Sudden Death is indeed in Widescreen, I've been waiting on that for years.
Old 02-01-09, 06:29 PM
Banned

The previous van damme action pack collection just went out of print, so maybe they'll release the correct versions on 2/10.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/52...-thread-7.html
Old 02-10-09, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The back cover is up at DVDEmpire, and everything is anamorphic except Lionheart, which is Full Frame.
Old 02-10-09, 05:05 AM

I'm very excited to finally see a widescreen of sudden death as that is a scope movie, so it will be cool to see what I was missing, but I am a little preturbed over Lionheart.

That is a flat movie so how hard would it have been to matte it for 1:85 or 1:78 for dvd?
Was the old dvd open matte or pan and scan. If they used the open matte transfer it would be sheer idiocy to not just matte it.
Now, If they say they only have the pan and scan transfer availiable that would make no sense as they own the movie. The OCN should be in their vault somewhere correct?
Either way I will buy this for Sudden Death, but I know that somehow I will be suckered into buying all these again for a newly remastered Lionheart down the road. What stinks is I have the previous four pack so I now own like 3 versions of the Quest and Hard Target...LOL
-Mark
Old 02-10-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dvdmrp
I'm very excited to finally see a widescreen of sudden death as that is a scope movie, so it will be cool to see what I was missing, but I am a little preturbed over Lionheart.

That is a flat movie so how hard would it have been to matte it for 1:85 or 1:78 for dvd?
Was the old dvd open matte or pan and scan. If they used the open matte transfer it would be sheer idiocy to not just matte it.
Now, If they say they only have the pan and scan transfer availiable that would make no sense as they own the movie. The OCN should be in their vault somewhere correct?
Either way I will buy this for Sudden Death, but I know that somehow I will be suckered into buying all these again for a newly remastered Lionheart down the road. What stinks is I have the previous four pack so I now own like 3 versions of the Quest and Hard Target...LOL
-Mark
Well, the potential (although kind of strange) answer that I can come up with is perhaps Lionheart is coming out on BD. I might have made note of this in the thread already, but on the last one Street Fighter was still non-anamorphic, which turned out to be, apparently, because they were releasing that new Special Edition of it on DVD/BD, and obviously want you to buy both. I don't know what would motivate Universal to be making a new release of Lionheart, but that's my best guess.
Old 02-11-09, 08:47 PM

Just to stir the Van Damme fans:
Universal no longer holds the rights to TimeCop, Warner Bros. now owns the rights to the Largo Entertainment library (Unlawful Entry, Dr Giggles etc.).

and on 05/19/09 Warner Bros will be releasing: The Van Damme Collection: BloodSport / TimeCop.

DVDEmpire Link:http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...3600&searchID=

No word yet if TimeCop will have an anamorphic transfer.

Old 02-11-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Willo007
Just to stir the Van Damme fans:
Universal no longer holds the rights to TimeCop, Warner Bros. now owns the rights to the Largo Entertainment library (Unlawful Entry, Dr Giggles etc.).

and on 05/19/09 Warner Bros will be releasing: The Van Damme Collection: BloodSport / TimeCop.

DVDEmpire Link:http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...3600&searchID=

No word yet if TimeCop will have an anamorphic transfer.

FYI, the last TimeCop Universal released, in the previous Van Damme Quadruple Feature was anamorphic.

Additionally this explains why Universal is creating a new Four Film Feature set -- they dropped Street Fighter, because they just did the new SE, and they dropped Timecop because they no longer own the rights. I'd guess this also means Sudden Death may pop up on BD soon. I think they probably rushed this one out, having just lost the rights to Timecop, and did not specifically remaster anything for this set (thusly, why Lionheart is still Full Frame). Therefore, the WS master of Sudden Death was prepared for some other reason, likely a hi-def disc.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 02-11-09 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 03:27 AM

Hmm, I didn't know about the Largo Entertainment thing. What other titles did they get? Seems like certain titles like Point Break and Judgment Night were unaffected.
Old 02-19-09, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by scrimshaw
Hmm, I didn't know about the Largo Entertainment thing. What other titles did they get? Seems like certain titles like Point Break and Judgment Night were unaffected.

The Super
Dr Giggles
TimeCop
Unlawful Entry

So far the Judgment Night DVD is still available through Universal, the Others have been discontinued by Fox and Universal & Goodtimes (Under lisence from Universal)

Something might happen with Point Break , since a sequel its bein made under the direction of Jan DeBont(Speed, Twister). But no Reeves nor Swayze.
Old 02-20-09, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'm a longtime Van Damme Fan(Fan-Damme) hehe...

I'd like to see Bloodsport, Lionheart, TimeCop and Sudden Death in a set.

If possible I'd also like to see Universal Soldier in there too.
Old 02-21-09, 12:30 PM

The first Van Damme quadruple feature set came in two discs, 2 movies per disc, no extra features, no chapter search.
Old 02-21-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since this is a Van Damme related thread, I thought I would mention that I found the Universal Soldier Blu-Ray for $10 bucks at Wal*Mart yesterday. In case any other fellow Van Damme fans were looking for it on the cheap.
Old 02-22-09, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Since this is a Van Damme related thread, I thought I would mention that I found the Universal Soldier Blu-Ray for $10 bucks at Wal*Mart yesterday. In case any other fellow Van Damme fans were looking for it on the cheap.
MORE NEWS:
Do out on 04/28/09
Peace Arch Home Entertainment will be releasing the critically acclaimed french film "JCVD" Starring you know who.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...tem_id=1454678

Old 02-22-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info!
Was hoping for a Blu-Ray release, but i'll take what I can get.
Old 02-22-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Thanks for the info!
Was hoping for a Blu-Ray release, but i'll take what I can get.
JCVD is coming to Blu-Ray as well. Don't jump the gun there.
Old 02-22-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome!
Day and date with the DVD?
Old 02-22-09, 05:52 PM

04-28-2009
Old 02-22-09, 07:17 PM

Starting 2/24/2009 blockbuster video will have JCVD available on DVD and blu-ray
Old 02-22-09, 08:13 PM

Holy shit, they get it two months early? That's awesome....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.