Reload this Page >

Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

Old 09-14-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

I never heard all of the film (well some)
Old 09-16-10, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Azraelms
Put me down as someone else wanting Neighbors to come out - this is the ONLY VHS I have left that has not come out on DVD.
Put me down too. It's amazing that this movie has never had a dvd release in this country. It would be nice to have a proper release with extra's such as deleted scenes, commentary track and interviews.
Old 09-16-10, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I'm torn on the question of "official" studio DVD-Rs. I would be a lot less torn if they were about half the price ($10) or less. Still, I'd rather own a legit DVD-R release of a movie I love than not have it at all or only in an illegally downloaded or otherwise-illicit form (i.e. grey market, TV recording).
If you buy from the studio, you will undoubtedly be getting a DVD made from the best master materials that will ever be available for this title (of course, how good those masters are will vary considerably from title to title). If you buy bootleg, TV recordings or other sources, who knows what you will get?
Old 09-17-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI, you can get these at DeepDiscount:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/columbia-pictures-classics/

$17.86 shipped apiece.

I'm in for 27th Day and Mind of Mr. Soames
Old 09-18-10, 03:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered Genghis Khan and received it within a week. The box looks like any new dvd release, cover art, spine art, back art. It has a UPC and all the normal DVD release stuff. The DVD is white and labeled with the title as well as all the copyright and studio stuff. Turning it over you can see that it is a dvd-r because of the purple tint. Sitting on the shelf it looks like any other dvd I have. I watched the movie and it is light years better than the boot I have. It is not remastered, but they must have had a really good source print because it looks very clean. Good first experience for me.
Old 03-22-11, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I recently bought my first made on demand product from amazon - a CD called "Greatest Hits Live" by Daryl Hall and John Oates, which was recorded during their "Private Eyes" tour in the early 80s, and which contains enough album cuts that I wouldn't really call it a "greatest hits."

Anyway, even though amazon describes it as being "manufactured on demand," they also describe it as being "in stock." That seems like a contradiction to me.

If "made on demand" simply means they make 1,000 at a time instead of 10,000, I don't think "made on demand" is a very accurate description of what they are doing.

http://www.amazon.com/Hall-Oates-Gre...0820955&sr=1-1
Old 03-22-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
MICKEY ONE ...... I waiting in vain through the VHS years for this to show up on home video .... saw it with an enthusiastic audience two years ago at Museum of Modern Art ..... and finally!
Yeah, I saw it when it playing at MoMA then (still have my stub) as well. I really want to get it, but I've resigned myself to buying these burn on-demand movies for no more than $15. It is a shame that physical media is dying like this. Something like Mickey One should be restored and released on Blu-ray not mass pressed on cheap DVD-R's.

At least we still have Criterion (as I foam at the mouth for Kiss Me Deadly BD).

No sooner did I post this...I checked out the selection on Deep Discount and realized nearly all of them are $11.96 right now as part of their "Spring Cleaning Sale". Decided to bite and grab Mickey One, The Deadly Affair, and Hot Blood. Basically I stuck with directors I like (Penn, Lumet, and Ray).

Last edited by BambooLounge; 03-22-11 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 881 Likes on 711 Posts

I ordered 11 of these Sony MOD titles (a whopping $240), and I've never felt more ripped off in all my years of DVD buying! Wow, talk about shoddy. Mind of Mr Soammes, 27th Day, Deadly Affair, Psyche 59, Nightwing, Doctor's Wives, and 5 others. I noticed:

1. Every single one of these titles has an Average VBR bitrate of only 4.3 Mbits /sec! And riddled with compression artifacts as as result. Even the 75-minute film The 27th Day is still 'pegged' at 4.3 MBits, the feature takes an abysmal 2.5 Gigs out of the available 4.7 Gigs. Other titles were the same, wasting from 35% to 50% of the available disc capacity for no good reason other than for Sony to keep the bar raised VERY LOW. You thought we wouldn't notice? 4.3 Mbits/sec doesn't cut it in 2011, Sony! Get someone other than Tinker-Toy bots to encode your discs, please!

2. The films have been incorrectly telecined at 30 fps instead of the correct 29.97 fps. This results in out-of-spec discs and studder in playback.

3. All were barebones, with only a couple including the trailer.

So, I'm doing a charge-back for shoddy quality. What a shame.

On a related note, my dealings with the Warner Archive have been very-good to excellent (having ordered some 30+ titles). All are encoded rather well, the features only 'waste' 10 to 15% of avalable disc capacity and quality is generally very good on the encodes, average bitrates range from 5.5 to 7.0 mbits/sec.

Also, the MGM MOD discs have been great! Futureworld, Rolling Thunder, Private files of J Edgar Hoover, Vigilante Force, all looked excellent and they all took great advantage of the space on the disc, only around 5% or even less space wasted, and the encodes were very well done. 6.5 - 7 Mbits/sec average.

I have writen a very ascerbic letter to Sony with these findings and imploring them to offer a better quality product (one which is nearly 100% profit for them, after all)

Last edited by zyzzle; 03-24-11 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-08-11, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I've always held out hope that "Neighbors" was weird enough and had an interesting-enough trainwreck production to warrant a Criterion release (if Sony would ever release more than "Bottle Rocket" to Criterion) but at this point I'd settle for it becoming availability through this MOD program.
Originally Posted by Mao
"Neighbors"!

I'm still wondering why this misunderstood classic hasn't been given the treatment it deserves. I picked up the overseas version about a year ago.

I say, there's nothing wrong with MOD. If it's the only way to get something you just know you're never going to see on any other digital format, what's the problem?
Originally Posted by Azraelms
Put me down as someone else wanting Neighbors to come out - this is the ONLY VHS I have left that has not come out on DVD.
Originally Posted by DaveM4964
Put me down too. It's amazing that this movie has never had a dvd release in this country. It would be nice to have a proper release with extra's such as deleted scenes, commentary track and interviews.
Sony is releasing Neighbors as part of this month's batch of their MOD program. It's available to buy as of today on the Warner Archive website.
Old 09-08-11, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by billwatkins
sony is releasing neighbors as part of this month's batch of their mod program. It's available to buy as of today on the warner archive website.
greatest mod news ever.
Old 05-02-12, 09:29 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone ever get the wrong movie on the right disc?

Ugh!

Finally, the 1976 classic "Drive-In" finds its way to my doorstep today from Amazon...and "A Close Call For Boston Blackie" (1946) is on the disc with the "Drive-In" logo on the face of the disc.

Old 05-03-12, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mao

Ugh!

Finally, the 1976 classic "Drive-In" finds its way to my doorstep today from Amazon...and "A Close Call For Boston Blackie" (1946) is on the disc with the "Drive-In" logo on the face of the disc.

I hate to hear that. I also received "Drive-In" today with the exact same problem. I haven't called Amazon yet, but now I'm worried about a replacement. I wonder if it would be better to try to contact Sony directly.
Old 05-03-12, 11:37 PM
Mao

My replacement is due on my doorstep tommorow, but now I don't have too much hope.

I took the liberty of sending a pre-emptive e-mail to Sony...let's see what they say...
Old 05-04-12, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mao
My replacement is due on my doorstep tommorow, but now I don't have too much hope.

I took the liberty of sending a pre-emptive e-mail to Sony...let's see what they say...
Mao, did you get your replacement? Amazon shipped mine today for Saturday delivery. When I contacted customer service through online chat, I mentioned that another customer had reported the same problem. The CS rep said that if the replacement was also defective, I could contact them again for a refund.
Old 05-04-12, 10:27 PM
Mao

Yup, same movie was on the replacement disc.

I'm sending both back tomorrow.

The UPC was taken off the site and I also sent an e-mail to Sony Customer service.

Ugh!

Why would this have to happen? I've been waiting forever!!!
Old 05-05-12, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mao
Yup, same movie was on the replacement disc.

I'm sending both back tomorrow.

The UPC was taken off the site and I also sent an e-mail to Sony Customer service.

Ugh!

Why would this have to happen? I've been waiting forever!!!
As expected, I also got my replacement this morning. Once again, it has the wrong movie. Both of them are going back to Amazon on Monday morning. I guess I won't be watching "Drive-In" this weekend.
Old 05-05-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao

Ugh!

This happened to me with Harry in Your Pocket MGM Made on demand disc, I can't remember the movie , but it was an african american movie from the early 60's instead of Harry.

I finally tracked down a corrected copy.
Old 08-19-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Sony Announces First Waves of MOD (Manufacture on Demand) Blu-ray Releases.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has revealed plans to release five films as part of its first waves of Manufactured on Demand Blu-ray releases beginning on September 6th. Additional films will follow in the coming months and through next year.

The "Choice Collection" offers a diverse slate of titles, encompassing something for every taste, with a curated flow continuing throughout this year and into next.

The collection kicks off with the long awaited Blu-ray debuts of fan favorites The Karate Kid Part III (1989) and The Next Karate Kid (1994). In October, the slate includes Brian De Palma's edge-of-your-seat thriller Body Double (1984), Marie Antoinette (2006), which is celebrating its 10th Anniversary, and the acclaimed music documentary The Devil and Daniel Johnston (2005). All features are presented in full high definition with lossless audio.

Blu-ray MOD is an exciting expansion of the existing DVD MOD program, which has seen a variety of the studio's fan favorites, cult classics and hidden gems come to market with a seamless consumer experience, via retailers such as Amazon.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19669
Old 08-19-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Sony Announces First Waves of MOD (Manufacture on Demand) Blu-ray Releases.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=19669
Not sure how I feel about this. Rather they just licensed to Mill Creek or something. Don't think I'd upgrade a pressed DVD for MOD Blu-ray. If they dipped into their serial catalog, which has been ignored except for Batman I might bite.
Old 08-19-16, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd rather have an MOD of a catalog title than not have it at all, but this is still disappointing. At least with Warner, I could still get pressed copies of OOP titles by buying their TCM Greatest Classic sets.

I wish someone had a list of the prospective titles: the links here and at HTF don't work.
Old 08-20-16, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Not sure how I feel about this. Rather they just licensed to Mill Creek or something. Don't think I'd upgrade a pressed DVD for MOD Blu-ray. If they dipped into their serial catalog, which has been ignored except for Batman I might bite.
I *know* how I feel. I very much dislike MOD product and will only consider "Holy Grail" titles for such purchases. I have 6 DVD MODs in my collection for just that reason and have gone so far as to replace a couple with steaming copies and "purchased" a couple more Warner Archive ones as only streaming (although I dislike that distribution method more than MOD) simply because they were "free" (used Amazon digital credits to get them).

Absolutely license those titles to Mill Creek. They are no more bare bones than the MOD releases and far less expensive. They actually do a good job on their Blu-ray releases (if they'd only learn that lesson and extend it to those DVD only releases I'd be pleased with even those).

I also know I'll not "upgrade" any pressed DVD to a MOD Blu-ray.

I, too, would possibly bite on a few of their serials if put on a MOD Blu-ray but don't see them getting any type of release.