Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Quick question that I'm not sure has been answered before- I just got the Corman blu of Forbidden World which has the theatrical cut and the (from what I hear) pretty different director's cut called Mutant would I be able to count both of these as entries?
I'd say yes. I counted both cuts during the Sci-Fi Challenge. The primary difference between the two cuts is humor - Corman cut most of the jokes out for World. Also, he inexplicably gave the robot the voice of a dorky adolescent boy (!). The Mutant commentary would bring the total to three entries.
Old 10-02-10, 09:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Is the list thread going to be stickied?
Someone just has to ask a mod. It's just as much any of our responsibility as Chad's.

Personally, with so many of us having the list thread or our list in our sigs, and the various threads being bumped constantly, I see little need for it to be at the top of the forum page.
Old 10-02-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Kicked things off with The Manitou, in honor of Tony Curtis. Some decent scenes, but characters are constantly doing things no person in their right mind would ever fathom. I'm looking at you, orderly, who not only finds it perfectly fine to sit next to the demonic medicine man and his dead, skinned alive friend, but also to take a nap next to them. It just blew my frakking mind.
I felt the same about [REC]. There was a ton of stuff at the beginning that just bothered me, mostly because I worked at a TV station for a few years and she was doing loads of stuff that isn't at all how they do things. They should've found someone that works at one to review some things for a name in the credits.

I'll spoiler the rest, just in case.
Spoiler:

Then there was the part where the fireman is saying they bring all their tools with them, in this case, to open doors. They get inside and then, get locked in? If only they had some tools

No firefighters having any radios, nobody trying cell phones(which is only answered later on when someone says they don't work, even though he's not the guy we saw with a phone. I could've sworn he also said radios don't work, which doesn't explain how they use them later on but at the time it did explain why the cop didn't use it.

If firefighters and cops are called out to something like that, there would also normally be an ambulance.

The other thing was, I could understand them getting locked inside if they got there first before the other guys could respond to seal the place off except the cop that was there with them knew that they were going to be sealed in, so there was no reason to let anyone in, in the first place.

Once it got past all of that stuff, then it got creepy until the very end, which was lame but understandable why they did that.
Old 10-02-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grindhouse is 1 movie in my mind. An anthology movie. Plus only one of its parts is horror anyways. I still don't understand people calling Death Proof a horror movie :/
I think it's more of a thriller, but the score, slasher(ism), kills, blood, atmosphere and half-naked chicks definately make it an acceptable horror film in my mind. Oh, and the cover of Fango helps as well. I'm just trying to suade your opinion since Death Proof is prominantly featured as my first movie and tribute

I'll remove it if it becomes a big deal, though.
Old 10-02-10, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for X-rated horror movies available on Netflix? I'm having trouble finding any.
Old 10-02-10, 11:10 AM

Day 1 -- Carnival of Souls (1962) and Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972).

First time for Carnival. That's one creepy film. Nice what you can do on a low budget.
Dracula was a bit slow, but interesting to take a glimpse back in time to 1972 London. Caroline Munro is always a plus!
Old 10-02-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I think it's more of a thriller, but the score, slasher(ism), kills, blood, atmosphere and half-naked chicks definately make it an acceptable horror film in my mind. Oh, and the cover of Fango helps as well. I'm just trying to suade your opinion since Death Proof is prominantly featured as my first movie and tribute

I'll remove it if it becomes a big deal, though.
Its not a big deal to me, and I'll be watching it when I get the Grindhouse BD next week anyways, so if I can count it as a 2nd film along with PT I'm for it I guess I can see where it could be a horror movie but it just never seemed that way to me.

Dumpty's 2010 List

OCTOBER 2010 HORROR CHALLENGE

October 1

Carnival of Souls - ultra creepy low budget film from 1962.
Dracula A.D. 1972 - last of the Hammer Dracula cycle. Slow, but an interesting glimpse into 1972 London. Caroline Munro's appearance is short, but always welcomed.

October 2

Art of the Devil II - Thai horror/slasher/revenge film with cannibalism thrown in for good measure. Interesting to see another culture's take on the genre. Definitely a gore-fest.

Last edited by dumpty; 10-02-10 at 11:28 AM.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dumpty
Day 1 -- Carnival of Souls (1962) and Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972).

First time for Carnival. That's one creepy film. Nice what you can do on a low budget.
Dracula was a bit slow, but interesting to take a glimpse back in time to 1972 London. Caroline Munro is always a plus!
I really like Drac 72.
Old 10-02-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Palpadious
Does anyone have any recommendations for X-rated horror movies available on Netflix? I'm having trouble finding any.
Look for movies that were once rated X at their release and then re-rated. Evil Dead is one I believe.
Old 10-02-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Dumpty's 2010 List

Originally Posted by dumpty
OCTOBER 2010 HORROR CHALLENGE

October 1

Carnival of Souls - ultra creepy low budget film from 1962.
Dracula A.D. 1972 - last of the Hammer Dracula cycle. Slow, but an interesting glimpse into 1972 London. Caroline Munro's appearance is short, but always welcomed.

October 2

Art of the Devil II - Thai horror/slasher/revenge film with cannibalism thrown in for good measure. Interesting to see another culture's take on the genre. Definitely a gore-fest.
You're posting these in the wrong thread, look for the list thread
Old 10-02-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Grindhouse should count as two films, simply because it really is two, just presented at the same time, and billed as a double-feature. I also don't think Death Proof is listed as horror on IMDB, but I'll go with Chad's direction about "Just keep in mind that the main deciding factor regarding what counts is you and you alone." I know other participants have counted it in the past.

Last edited by Dick Laurent; 10-02-10 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Meant "Death Proof", not PT
Old 10-02-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Someone just has to ask a mod.
I just did.
Old 10-02-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Palpadious
Look for movies that were once rated X at their release and then re-rated. Evil Dead is one I believe.
You are correct. The original US rating for "Evil Dead" was "X".

A few others are:

"Evil Dead II"
"Friday the 13th" (Most, if not all, of this series)
"A Nightmare on Elm Street 3"
"The Hills Have Eyes"

I would think some of these will be available via NetFlix.
Old 10-02-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just started up Dead Alive, first time viewing it in probably 2 years and noticed how badly this thing needs to be remastered (not to mention a new special edition.. blu??). The DVD is very washed out looking.
Old 10-02-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

For what it's worth, I actually requested a sticky yesterday.

Is it first correct answer gets it? Or leave it open for a little while and pick a winner from the correct answers?
First correct answer. But, I'm not going to make it especially easy. I'll give a one hour heads up before posting the question ...both here and the Facebook group. And don't forget you can always subscribe to this thread and get instant email notification.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was going to completely ignore the themes, they really should sync with the daily films, but read your post at about 11pm and decided what the heck, and put in a Hammer title. Paranoiac (1963) was better than I expected, could be my favorite Hammer title so far.
As I already mentioned, I tried to sync them as much as possible. But that's not an easy task since Theme Nights was completed first and I could only work with what subset titles were given. There weren't any suggestions for Edgar Allan Poe films, Psycho-Biddy (after Straight-Jacket was removed by request), the video nasties list, etc. And sometimes too many of the same sub-genre suggestions were given or a title might fit into multiple categories.

Paranoiac is one my favorites.

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit
Not sure if it's been asked, but does Grindhouse count as one movie or two?
|
|
V

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Grindhouse was a pastiche on double features. It is two movies. They are both feature length, even the theatrical versions. QT said he considers his to be tone-wise, a slasher film. It's about a deranged stuntman who stalks and kills women.
Old 10-02-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just started up Dead Alive, first time viewing it in probably 2 years
I still have nightmares from watching this for the first time last year...
Old 10-02-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just noticed I missed half a page of Grindhouse talk. Sorry to over-kill that with my additions. And then this addition... moving on...
Old 10-02-10, 02:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Dead Set (10/25 - 10/29)

i have the DVD and plan on seeing the critically acclaimed zombie series this challenge, but in case you don't have it and are intrigued, it will be shown uncut in 5 parts...

IMDb:
Dead Set (UK TV mini-series)

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
It's eviction night at the Big Brother house, but something very strange is happening; the dead are coming alive and attacking the living. When zombies attack all of the audience outside, the Big Brother contestants are unaware of the death outside the fan-proof (and zombie-proof) big brother house until the show's runner, Kelly, comes into the house and warns them of the doom outside. Stuck with even less contact with the outside world, the house-mates must sneak out of the house to get supplies, without being seen by the zombies.

Dates:
10/25 - 10/29/10

Time:
12:00am EST

Channel:

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-02-10 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-02-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I derailed my movie watching... last night went out for my Bachelor party and I am still feeling the effects
Old 10-02-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Dead Set (10/25 - 10/29)

Originally Posted by scott1598
i have the DVD and plan on seeing the critically acclaimed zombie series this challenge, but in case you don't have it and are intrigued, it will be shown uncut in 5 parts...

IMDb:
Dead Set (UK TV mini-series)

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
It's eviction night at the Big Brother house, but something very strange is happening; the dead are coming alive and attacking the living. When zombies attack all of the audience outside, the Big Brother contestants are unaware of the death outside the fan-proof (and zombie-proof) big brother house until the show's runner, Kelly, comes into the house and warns them of the doom outside. Stuck with even less contact with the outside world, the house-mates must sneak out of the house to get supplies, without being seen by the zombies.

Date:
10/25 - 10/29/10

Time:
12:00am EST

Channel:
It was a good show... wish American TV could give us this
Old 10-02-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Dead Set (10/25 - 10/29)

Originally Posted by Darkgod
It was a good show... wish American TV could give us this
I think AMC's The Walking Dead will deliver, and maybe surpass. It premiers end of the month.
Old 10-02-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

We followed Nightmare Man with She-Wolf of London from The Wolf Man: Legacy Collection box set that I bought last March and didn't get around to opening until now. It was distracting seeing June Lockhart in something that didn't involve Lassie. Rather predictable, but likable.

SPOILER (for those receiving an e-Mail alert about this thread)
Spoiler:
I was rather disappointed that there isn't actually a She-Wolf in this movie; it's just a plain serial killer trying to play up the idea that she's a She-Wolf. Counting this one for my serial killer movie on the checklist, but not the werewolf category.
Old 10-02-10, 02:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, awesome news about Dead Set on IFC. Thanks so much for posting that scott1598! I've been wanting to see it and would have kicked myself if I'd missed it.

Also really looking forward to The Walking Dead. Haven't read the comics yet, but I think I'll try to get some of those read this month, too.
Old 10-02-10, 02:57 PM

Thanks to being laid out with a migraine and only getting about five hours of sleep, we've managed to watch all six Leatherface films, Night of the Creeps, Night of the Living Dead and both Dawn of the Deads in the first day and a half, which is nice. It's all going to go to hell next week when other responsibilities start popping up but at least we got a good start on it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.