Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Oversight in Expanded Checklist.
Category: Watch one film from every decade of film history.
Missing: 2010s

Also I see a lot of people reserving here in the discussion thread? So with this work more like a list thread?

Would The Toxic Avenger count?

Last edited by SterlingBen; 09-27-10 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by SterlingBen

Would The Toxic Avenger count?
I watched it last year and it counted.
Old 09-27-10, 08:42 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your hard work in setting this up Chad. This is the one challenge every year that I look forward to since it's probably one of my favorite genre's.

The only question I do is have is this... would any 'X Files' episodes that contain ghost/monster/voodoo style storylines count in the challenge? They were always my favorite episodes and it's been a while since I've watched the show and thought I might revisit them.

eg. The Christmas episode that featured Lily Tomlin and ? as ghosts that haunted a house Mulder & Scully visited

Or would any 'X Files' episode really count more as sci-fi?
Old 09-27-10, 11:09 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
what's everyone's first pick going to be? i'm thinking about SALEM'S LOT but i'm not sure yet.
I think I'm going to start my challenge off with Piranha (1978). It's the last movie I bought and I've been saving it for this.
Old 09-27-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Thanks for all your hard work in setting this up Chad. This is the one challenge every year that I look forward to since it's probably one of my favorite genre's.

The only question I do is have is this... would any 'X Files' episodes that contain ghost/monster/voodoo style storylines count in the challenge? They were always my favorite episodes and it's been a while since I've watched the show and thought I might revisit them.

eg. The Christmas episode that featured Lily Tomlin and ? as ghosts that haunted a house Mulder & Scully visited

Or would any 'X Files' episode really count more as sci-fi?
There are a whole slew of X-Files episodes that would certainly count in this challenge. Some of the topics you mentioned above would be candidates. For me, I watched the episode "Home" for a wildcard last year. That episode, to me, embodies something that is perfect for this challenge. That Lily Tomlin and Ed Asner(?) episode would be a good one too.

I would not say, however, that all X-Files episodes would be applicable for this challenge.
Old 09-27-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Also I see a lot of people reserving here in the discussion thread? So with this work more like a list thread?
No, that was just me reserving spots for the subset list, theme nights and the checklist. I do that so I'll have places to link them individually in the upcoming newsletter / front page blurb.
Old 09-27-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, would anyone be up for adding another theatrical film to the subset like we did last year? There's an slot open available for Saturday the 23rd.

Hatchet II (10/1)
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Let Me In (10/1)
Case 39 (10/1)
Devil
Paranormal Activity 2 (10/22)

Unless I've overlooked something, that's pretty much our choices since Saw 3D and Monsters doesn't open until 10/29.

Of course last year we had Zombieland so this may not be as popular an idea. I could always fill it with a leftover suggestion.
Old 09-27-10, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
There are a whole slew of X-Files episodes that would certainly count in this challenge. Some of the topics you mentioned above would be candidates. For me, I watched the episode "Home" for a wildcard last year. That episode, to me, embodies something that is perfect for this challenge. That Lily Tomlin and Ed Asner(?) episode would be a good one too.

I would not say, however, that all X-Files episodes would be applicable for this challenge.
OK cool. I'm going to go over the episode guides tomorrow and compile a list that I think would apply and that way I'll have it to hand. 2 episodes equal 1 viewing which is perfect. I usually have an hour or so kill in the morning before I head to work and this would be the perfect time to watch them
Old 09-27-10, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
So, would anyone be up for adding another theatrical film to the subset like we did last year? There's an slot open available for Saturday the 23rd.

Hatchet II (10/1)
Let Me In (10/1)
Case 39 (10/1)
Devil

Unless I've overlooked something, that's pretty much our choices since Saw 3D and Monsters doesn't open until 10/29.

Of course last year we had Zombieland so this may not be as popular an idea. I could always fill it with a leftover suggestion.
I'm down for adding Let Me In to the list.
Old 09-27-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Hatchet II (10/1)
Let Me In (10/1)
Case 39 (10/1)
Devil

If we are voting on which title to include, I hope to catch Let Me In and Paranormal Activity 2 in theaters.
Old 09-27-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
OK cool. I'm going to go over the episode guides tomorrow and compile a list that I think would apply and that way I'll have it to hand. 2 episodes equal 1 viewing which is perfect. I usually have an hour or so kill in the morning before I head to work and this would be the perfect time to watch them
Thanks for doing this. I've been a casual X-Files fan over the years and watching some horror-themed episodes (most of which I haven't seen) will be fun.

EDIT: I just realized that you never actually said you were posting your list... I just assumed I guess. If you would be so kind to do so, I (as well as many others I presume) would appreciate it.
Old 09-27-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

So, would anyone be up for adding another theatrical film to the subset like we did last year? There's an slot open available for Saturday the 23rd...
I'm not too big on theatrical releases this year so would nudge towards using a leftover video release suggestion. If I see anything it'd be Let Me In or Paranormal Activity 2.

Shame they're waiting until the last minute to release Saw 3D... that can't be a smart marketing idea.
Old 09-27-10, 09:07 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hatchet II (10/1)
Let Me In (10/1)
Case 39 (10/1)
Devil

I'd be in fr Let Me In, sadly Hatchet 2 is playing in limited release, nowhere around here.
Old 09-27-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the schedule for ThIS!TV

Days are for west coast because that's the best coast

Oct 2
Monkey Shines

Oct 4
Child's Play

Oct 8
Elvira's Movie Macabre: Night of the Living Dead

Oct 9
Child's Play

Oct 10
Dolls
The Monster That Challenged the World

Oct 11
Amityville II: The Possession

Oct 15
Night of the Comet
Deep Space
Elvira's Movie Macabre: The Terror

Oct 17
Whoever Slew Anti Roo?
From Beyond
Elvira's Movie Macabre: The Terror

Oct 18
Crawlspace

Oct 21
The Lord of Illusions

Oct 22
Elvira's Movie Macabre: The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Oct 24
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Elvira's Movie Macabre: The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Oct 25
Dementia 13
Ghoulies
Ghoulies II

Oct 28
The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Scream and Scream Again
The Oblong Box
Theater of Blood

Oct 29
Amityville II: The Possession
Monkey Shines
Elvira's Movie Macabre: Giant Gila Monster

Oct 30
Whoever Slew Anti Roo?
Scream, Blacula, Scream
Highway To Hell
The Dark Half
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II
Howling II: Your Sister is A Werewolf

Oct 31
Dementia 13
Vampire Circus
Ghoulies
Ghoulies II
It's Alive!
The Crimson Cult
The Return of the Living Dead
Pumpkinhead
Old 09-27-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paranormal Activity 2: Let's Run This Shit Into The Ground (10/22)
If you do a theatrical option, why not just leave it at that and let anything theatrical count? Just have it near the end of the month to catch the late starters.
Old 09-27-10, 10:22 PM

I have a question about the list thread - last year, I tried posting images and ran into a limit. Does anyone know how many pictures you can use in your post? I forgot how many and decided not to do it but couldn't remember the limit. I tried looking through the FAQs but couldn't find it (although it may be there and I'm just not seeing it!)

If anyone knows, would appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 09-27-10, 11:00 PM

I look forward to this every year and this year is no different. I did all my buying in the last week or so . I still have a few more purchases left to do during October.

On the subset list i don't Know if this has been mention already, Is BURIED with Ryan Reynolds a good choice to add and it qualifies? Its a thriller on IMDB but so is Frozen and we count that. Also Buried is limited release right now. On Oct 8th it Expands.
Old 09-27-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Was just browsing my Netflix instant queue, looking for something for the remaining checklist marks I need for the Criterion Challenge and lo and behold I discovered that the Friday the 13th sequels will only be available to stream until 1 October! What kind of sense does it make to make those unavailable during Ocfuckingtober?!
Old 09-27-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

Oct 10
Alright, I get to see this after all!

If you do a theatrical option, why not just leave it at that and let anything theatrical count? Just have it near the end of the month to catch the late starters.
Well, that idea technically fits in more with Theme Nights, but what the hell. I'm sold.

Originally Posted by llandros
I have a question about the list thread - last year, I tried posting images and ran into a limit. Does anyone know how many pictures you can use in your post? I forgot how many and decided not to do it but couldn't remember the limit. I tried looking through the FAQs but couldn't find it (although it may be there and I'm just not seeing it!)

If anyone knows, would appreciate it! Thanks.
I believe it's 25.

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
On the subset list i don't Know if this has been mention already, Is BURIED with Ryan Reynolds a good choice to add and it qualifies
A guy's buried alive in a coffin ...that's good enough for me.
Old 09-27-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oct 8

Oct 10
Are these replays of Elvira's triumphant return this past weekend?

I set my DVR to record it, but Sunday morning... it was not there.
Old 09-28-10, 12:24 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Was just browsing my Netflix instant queue, looking for something for the remaining checklist marks I need for the Criterion Challenge and lo and behold I discovered that the Friday the 13th sequels will only be available to stream until 1 October! What kind of sense does it make to make those unavailable during Ocfuckingtober?!
I think the fact October is a great month for Horror movie sales, might have something to do with it.
Old 09-28-10, 08:48 AM

Last year I only got 25. Hoping to better that this year! I am SO ready!
Old 09-28-10, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Yeah I was going to watch Scanners and Scream but they are getting pulled on 10-1 also. Stupid netflix.
Old 09-28-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Are these replays of Elvira's triumphant return this past weekend?

I set my DVR to record it, but Sunday morning... it was not there.
ThisTV has a 2 week delay for syndication on Elvira. At least we're finally getting it.
Old 09-28-10, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Thanks for doing this. I've been a casual X-Files fan over the years and watching some horror-themed episodes (most of which I haven't seen) will be fun.

EDIT: I just realized that you never actually said you were posting your list... I just assumed I guess. If you would be so kind to do so, I (as well as many others I presume) would appreciate it.
Hey - no problem. As soon as I get the list done, I'll get it posted along with a very brief description to enable it falls into the category. I'll have it up by later this evening

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.