Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

Old 02-02-11, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

It sounds like they are going to be releasing the GoBots cartoon series soon.
Old 02-03-11, 09:04 PM

I saw that at tvshowsondvd.com. Good to be finally getting the Gobots. I wonder if we may eventually get the Snorks and/or the remaining seasons of the Smurfs?
Old 02-03-11, 11:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if they didn't have extras, I'd love to have the last set of Animaniacs as well as Tiny Toons.
Old 03-02-11, 11:03 PM

Um, is it usually their policy to discontinue some of these cause I am looking to order Swat Kats and can't seem to find it on their site.
Old 03-03-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heebiejeebie
I saw that at tvshowsondvd.com. Good to be finally getting the Gobots. I wonder if we may eventually get the Snorks and/or the remaining seasons of the Smurfs?
There's like 9 seasons of Smurfs, I don't know why they chose to go from the season volume sets to best of sets, it's going to take them forever to release them all.
Old 03-05-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movieman35
Um, is it usually their policy to discontinue some of these cause I am looking to order Swat Kats and can't seem to find it on their site.
I noticed this, too. Strange. You should email them and see what's up.
Old 03-11-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by movieman35
Apparently the episodes were incomplete, syndicated versions. A short prologue "today on Swat Kats" and epilogue "The Swat Kats Files" were missing from the episodes. WB pulled it after complaints.
Night Court also had some episodes that were syndicated versions. They won't rerelease it until they come up with the original broadcast versions.
Old 03-11-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same applies with Mama's Family too. Just have no faith in these MOD releases and they're mostly overpriced. Also saw and heard Shout Factory going the route of the studios and discontinuing the remaining seasons of some popular TV shows of the 60s through the 90s. Just awful if you ask me.
Old 03-11-11, 07:55 PM
Banned

Shout is discontinuing some shows ? Which ones ?
Old 03-12-11, 09:21 AM

By discontinuing, he means not putting out any new seasons. The Shout rep has appeared on a couple of boards and has been kind enough to answer questions regarding upcoming releases. For some of the TV shows, they don't have the rights to later seasons and sales haven't warranted persuing those rights. Not sure how one ends up blaming Shout for not putting stuff out and taking a loss, but there it is.
Old 03-12-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm just wanting for a few more series tocome out and by the way the studios are just deciding to just discontinue seasons of such shows, was hoping Shout would be a last resort to helping us fans complete certain TV series such as Rhoda and Mr. Belvedere and Mad About You for starters. Just looks like they're going to be the same like any other studio, but maybe they should think about lowering their prices on some of these sets a little bit and maybe help distribute them to other online stores rather than just their own, but again, just a thought.

Besides, nobody is blaming Shout but just hate to see them go the same route like the majors are doing right now with these shows. Here's hoping they can finish some shows off this or next year at the very latest.
Old 03-18-11, 06:35 PM

Valley of the Dinosaurs comes out this Tuesday. They are putting it out on DVD-9s, so less discs than the usual sets.

clip and cover art here:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Val...e-Series/15142
Old 03-19-11, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I actually like what Warner Archive does, it saves them money yet offers the titles to the fans that want the titles. A lot of times these companies don't see enough money coming in to make the titles available for everyone yet there is a small audience who wants the titles so offering them as burn on demand offers those people the chance to actually be able to own the title in an official way as opposed to downloading TV rips or something along those lines. I wish more companies would do this.
Old 03-20-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I actually like what Warner Archive does, it saves them money yet offers the titles to the fans that want the titles. A lot of times these companies don't see enough money coming in to make the titles available for everyone yet there is a small audience who wants the titles so offering them as burn on demand offers those people the chance to actually be able to own the title in an official way as opposed to downloading TV rips or something along those lines. I wish more companies would do this.
I wish more companies would do this with TV shows that will never come out on DVD.

Does Fox have any kind of MOD program?
Old 03-20-11, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07

Does Fox have any kind of MOD program?
Fox has been releasing some of the MGM catalog titles on MOD like Poltergeist: The Legacy Season 2, Jeremiah Season 2, and the 90s version of Flipper. They haven't released any of their own titles on MOD.
Old 03-31-11, 09:52 PM

Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos is up for pre-order. It comes out this Tuesday.
Old 04-01-11, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
By discontinuing, he means not putting out any new seasons. The Shout rep has appeared on a couple of boards and has been kind enough to answer questions regarding upcoming releases. For some of the TV shows, they don't have the rights to later seasons and sales haven't warranted persuing those rights. Not sure how one ends up blaming Shout for not putting stuff out and taking a loss, but there it is.
We live in a time where people feel they are intitled to everything and big compaines should take the loss. I think it's called the proggessive movement.
Old 04-01-11, 11:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
We live in a time where people feel they are intitled to everything and big compaines should take the loss. I think it's called the proggessive movement.
IF it was not for us, those big companies would not make any money at all, so YES they need to release all the series.
Old 04-02-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zla21
IF it was not for us, those big companies would not make any money at all, so YES they need to release all the series.
Theres that sense of entitlement again.

Niche titles dont make the companies money. It is not financially feasable for them to keep putting out product that dosent sell. Try not to get all uppity at a company because you think they owe you something for buying one of their products that turns out is not making money for them.
Old 04-03-11, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by burnside986
Theres that sense of entitlement again.

Niche titles dont make the companies money. It is not financially feasable for them to keep putting out product that dosent sell. Try not to get all uppity at a company because you think they owe you something for buying one of their products that turns out is not making money for them.
Shout Factory is about the only outfit that is producing vintage pressed titles at affordable prices. There isn't a huge market for this stuff (otherwise the big studios wouldn't have discontinued selling their own catalogue titles), so they have to watch the bottom line carefully. If Seasons 1 and 2 of a series don't sell, there's absolutely no reason to believe Season 3 will sell any better (in fact buying usually tails off for later years because of people who try an earlier season and don't like it).
Old 04-03-11, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Shout Factory is about the only outfit that is producing vintage pressed titles at affordable prices. There isn't a huge market for this stuff (otherwise the big studios wouldn't have discontinued selling their own catalogue titles), so they have to watch the bottom line carefully. If Seasons 1 and 2 of a series don't sell, there's absolutely no reason to believe Season 3 will sell any better (in fact buying usually tails off for later years because of people who try an earlier season and don't like it).

Same model goes in the comic industry (which I think is actively trying to destroy its self) in as far as a number one will sell for x ammount whereas issue 2 will invariably be 50% of number ones sales.
Old 04-04-11, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
Valley of the Dinosaurs comes out this Tuesday. They are putting it out on DVD-9s, so less discs than the usual sets.

clip and cover art here:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Val...e-Series/15142
It will be available from amazon starting May 6:

http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Dinosau...1933259&sr=1-1
Old 04-04-11, 11:14 AM
Banned

Among Space Ghost, Birdman, and the Herculoids, I consider the Herculoids to be the best of the three. However, it's also the only one of the three that hasn't been released so far.

Perhaps the people in charge of deciding what does and doesn't get released think that the lack of a modern incarnation of the Heruloids (in the vein of Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law) would mean that a Herculoids relase would not sell enough copies to make a profit. If that is their reasoning for not releasing it, I think they are mistaken. My guess is that almost everyone who bought Space Ghost and Birdman thinks that the Herculoids are better, and would gladly buy such a set. I don't think the lack of a modern version would impede sales of the original version. I hope it gets released.
Old 04-04-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Among Space Ghost, Birdman, and the Herculoids, I consider the Herculoids to be the best of the three. However, it's also the only one of the three that hasn't been released so far.

Perhaps the people in charge of deciding what does and doesn't get released think that the lack of a modern incarnation of the Heruloids (in the vein of Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law) would mean that a Herculoids relase would not sell enough copies to make a profit. If that is their reasoning for not releasing it, I think they are mistaken. My guess is that almost everyone who bought Space Ghost and Birdman thinks that the Herculoids are better, and would gladly buy such a set. I don't think the lack of a modern version would impede sales of the original version. I hope it gets released.
I think they'll get around to it. Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles is scheduled for may.
Old 04-04-11, 06:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
I think they'll get around to it. Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles is scheduled for may.

Yes, I know about Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles coming out. I hope you're right about the Herculoids.

Also, it would be really cool to have this on DVD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna%E...uper_Adventure

Hanna–Barbera's World of Super Adventure

Hanna-Barbera's World of Super Adventure had an original half-hour broadcast run on NBC from 1980 to 1984 on Saturday mornings. It was a "package" combination of several different cartoons that originally ran from 1966 to 1970. These cartoons consisted of Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Space Ghost and Dino Boy, Fantastic Four, Moby Dick and the Mighty Mightor, Herculoids, Shazzan and Frankenstein, Jr. and The Impossibles.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lUVcSNmxIx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.